The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The year is 1970.  The American railroad industry is modernizing at an incredible pace, and steam locomotives as a species are being killed off in preference of more reliable and efficient diesel-electric locomotives.  Thousands of the old iron giants are being dragged off to scrap yards and smelting plants in long, ominous funeral trains, their eyes wide and pleading for help that will never come to any human they pass by on their way to their inevitable deaths.  To their old crews, these locos are family, but to the industry, they're now a liability, worth nothing more than their weight in scrap steel, at a rate of about forty seven dollars per metric ton.

In northern Washington State, trouble is brewing in the small railroad city of Fort Fairfax.  The local railroad company has been run out of business by the mega-tycoon that is the Union Pacific.  With the rail line shut down and deteriorating from years of disuse, the only way in and out of the valley was via the main 'highway', Route Seven, but on December 8th, 1970, heavy snow and ice caused a rock face in the mountains to collapse, completely burying three miles of Route Seven under millions of tons of granite boulders, snow, and ice near the town of Saint Josef.  Luckily only ten people were killed, but the road was rendered completely impassable, practically cutting off the entire valley of Bucket Falls from the outside world.  (There are other roads out of the valley, but Route Seven was the only one that was remotely safe in winter conditions, and the only route capable of supporting large trucks in any weather)  The only hope for Fort Fairfax, as well as the neighboring towns of Thomas Canyon, Josha's Cradle, Simonville, and Dunk Town, and the hamlet of Elena Junction, was reopening the old railroad.  The two main industries in the canyon, Dyken's Coal Mine and the Lena's Mineral Mining Company, were among the first to get onboard the bandwagon of reopening the line, followed closely by the Dunk Town Sawmill and Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals.  The companies could all theoretically survive through the winter by temporarily shutting down their operations to save capital, then reopening after the spring thaw would allow for Route Seven to be cleared and rebuilt, but in a rare stroke of plain humanity all four of the company CEOs decided that the railroad reopening would not only be good news for all of them, but more importantly, would be good news for all the people living in the valley.  With the support from the local industries and the residents of the valley, a group of citizens from Fort Fairfax formed the Full Bucket Line Preservation Society, which soon enough became the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  The initial investments from the industrial companies provided the FBLRR with most of the initial capital they needed to get most of the line repaired to the point of being safely usable, but that still left them with a rather serious problem.

What the hell good is a railroad with no locomotives and no rolling stock?

When the line was first shut down, the Union Pacific bought up everything worth recovering at the bankruptcy auction, which included all the locomotives and nearly all of the rolling stock.  There were a few cars left behind scattered around the line, but all needed serious work if they were even salvageable at all, and even all of them put together weren't going to be enough to run the railroad with.  Luckily most of the old railroad's employees were local residents, so there was no shortage of qualified workers, but the company was quickly running out of cash, and they still didn't even have any locomotives.

And so the search began for the trains that could help to save the valley of Bucket Falls.  For the size of the line they would be trying to run, starting off they would need at least one or two small locomotives for shunting work and pulling maintenance trains (probably small steam tank engines or diesel switchers), two or three mid-sized locos for general freight traffic and short, local passenger trains, and one large, powerful main-line locomotive for bringing the big freight trains in and out of the valley, as well as pulling the fast passenger services.  It's a tall order, but hopefully the folks at the FBLRR can find some of what they need without breaking the bank.

And hopefully the engines themselves will be willing to cooperate after being neglected and cast aside for so long.

~~~~~

Okay, so if you can't tell, this is a world where many of the vehicles that humans build and use are sentient beings, sort of like in "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "Cars" (if Cars had humans).  They have a fair bit of control over themselves, but still need human crew to fully operate most of the time.  They do have faces, but not Thomas-style faces where it covers most of the front of their body.  They're much less intrusive, being just eyes and a mouth somewhere that makes sense on the front of their body, like this:
As sentient beings, they've all got their own personalities and feelings, most have names, they can feel pain and other physical sensations with surprising sensitivity.  Their bodies are a bit flexible, but not quite to the extent of the characters in "Cars".  When a locomotive and its crew are familiar with one another and have formed a tight bond, one can expect to see significantly better physical performance out of both.  The mental health of a sentient vehicle has a significant and direct impact on their physical capabilities, meaning a happy, satisfied train with a good crew that they're close to will tend to perform significantly better than their design specifications say they should be able to, while a depressed or angry locomotive or one with a crew that they're always at odds with will have substantially worse general performance, or may even straight-up refuse to work at all.

Please keep in mind for the vehicles that most of what the FBLRR is going to be using/getting their hands on is going to be old, outdated, and generally unwanted equipment.  Very little, if anything, is going to be new or modern (for the present time period of 1970) so try to keep to trains that were built between the 1940s and the early '60s, or were being retired from service in 1966 at the latest.  Trucks could probably be a bit newer, like '68 or '69 (giggity), but toss in some older ones as well for added historical nostalgia stuff.

Character Forms:

Human:

Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Personality:
Relevant skills:
Recommended/Desired/Current job:
Other:

Trains:

Name: (If they were ever given one, or can remember their name)
Class: (The exact type of train they were.  Please be specific.  If you have an idea about what you want from the character, do some searching online to find something that might match what you want)
Personality:
Picture (Optional):
Other:

Trucks:

Name: (Again, if they ever got one)
Personality:
Picture: (Optional)
Other:

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Re: The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Starrnico on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:12 am

Lilly looked to Ben then shook her head a little "We should find out about his personality a bit to give him a name that suits him" She said calmly, coming over to pat his side

The tank looked from one to the other, surprised they were taking him not to be killed but to have a job. "A job, and a name?" 
~~~
Helen had squeezed her eyes shut at the pain of moving again after so long. She didn't speak or open her eyes again until after the grease started making it easier to move once again. "Goodness, that hurt, but it's already getting better now" She said, though it still hurt a little she knew it would work out by keeping moving. 
~~~
Roger smiled at her and climbed up in her cab to sit there for the moment, looking around. "That's an easy enough thing to fix, just to have someone sitting in here for a bit. Soon enough you will have a new driver, but I will talk to Lilly about becoming your fireman if you want me to." He offered
~~~
Gus sobered at her question, frowning a little and looking down then going over to lean against her side. "It's funny you should ask, Jennie liked to ask things like that too. I imagined she would be a red-head because she did have a temper at times. You though, you I think would have auburn hair, just that highlight of red over rich brown. Of course athletic, because you want to run. Probably a soft, heart shaped face too." He said then shrugged and looked at her again "What kind of train do you think I would be?"

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)
Gold Pieces: 15 g 42 s 86 c

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:15 pm

"Yeah, I agree Lil'," Ben said as he climbed up into the nameless pannier's cab to take a look around.  "And yeah bud, we're here to take you for keeps, not for the scrap heap.  You heard of the Full Bucket Line?  Local company, just starting up in the valley east of here."

~~~
"Yeah, I'm sure it hurt, Helen," Connie said, patting the outside of her cab as she leaned out the window and looked back as the GP-40 slowly pulled Helen back out of the siding she'd been parked on for a decade and a half and began moving her back towards the staging track where they would assemble the acquired locomotives and the stainless steel passenger cars into a consist.  "How does it feel to finally get moving again, Empress?"

~~~
Rosie laughed a bit at what Roger had said as he clambered up inside her.  "Steamers need firemen, silly," she said.  "I'm a diesel, my crew is a driver and co-driver, though I'd be glad to have you on board, and as long as we were well synchronized, I could work just fine with just a driver."  In Rosie's can, Roger would find a fair amount of personal effects, likely from her old crew, that had just been left lying around.  A fair bit of them had been knocked to the floor and broken, probably evidence that she was treated pretty roughly when she was shunted around, but it seemed that her crew had simply up and left her.  There was even a faded black and white photo of her and two young men in railroad overalls that had once been taped to her windshield.

~~~
Sam smiled at Gus' fantasy description of what she and Jessie might have been like as human girls, blushing as she felt those images running through her mind as he described them.  "You really think I'd be that pretty?" she giggled, then sighed thoughtfully.  "Well, you're pretty strong in body and in heart, you're always looking and thinking ahead, you love the scenery and the terrain up here in the mountains, and you're pretty clever too, always coming up with things others would never have thought of, soooo... I feel like you'd probably be one of those big Southern Pacific Cab-Forward locos.  I've met a few of them before, a long time ago, working up in Donder Pass, and they seemed like they'd be your type.  Shame there's only one left, though..."  She made a humorless laugh and said "It's real sobering when you think about it and realize that all your friends, everyone you've ever known, is dead, but you're still around... You start to wonder why, what made you so special.  256 of those Cab Forwards they made, and they're all dead except Keith, and who even knows how much longer he's gonna last?..."  She sighed again and mumbled "I'm part of a dying species, Gus, my kind is being exterminated, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it's my turn, regardless of who doesn't want me to go or how badly.  The world is changing, and steamers like me don't have a place in what it's becoming..."

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
I AM THE SALMON MODERATOR
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:20 pm

The tank looked from one to the other "No, I'm too far away from the others to talk to anyone." He replied then looked around. He was right, this part of the yard didn't have any other engines in it, other cars, sure, but no other engines.
~~~
"Great Connie. Yeah, it hurts, but to not be sitting on one spot anymore is wonderful." Helen said, looking around as she was taken to where she needed to be. 
~~~
Roger chuckled and nodded "I know" He said then looked at the stuff left behind, going through it a bit and picking up the picture. "I may not know where I'm going, or what I will be doing, but I was practically raised in the fireman position, first alongside my dad then with my friends. It's what I know." 
~~~
Gus smiled at being thought of as a cab-forward train. "They are good trains too." He agreed then frowned as he listened to her go on. She was right, it would be sad to know everyone you knew was dead. "Hey, you still have a place with us, and others like us that prefer the tried and true to the new."

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Ben looked around and frowned at the sight of that.  The Pannier was right, there really was nobody else around.  "Well that's a shame..." he said.  "But don't worry, there aught to be plenty of folks to talk to soon enough.  You're coming with us to run on the Full Bucket Line."

~~~
"That's good to hear, girl," Connie said as the GP pulled them back onto the siding, then stopped and let Connie set Helen's hand brakes before decoupling and following after Dirk to go collect Sam.  "The pain will wear off soon, especially once Julie gets to work on you back home."

~~~
"Well then maybe you'd fit better with Helen and that blonde girl," Rosie said with what might have been a shrug.  "I'm just a diesel-electric engine, I'm easy to train someone up to run, being a steady loco crew member takes a lot more skill and practice."

~~~
"Yeah, I suppose I do now..." Sam said with a happy sigh, shuddering a bit when she could feel the rails vibrating as the tow engine approached her.  "Oh God... Here we go, this is really happening now..." she said anxiously.  "You sure this is gonna be alright?  I-I mean, what if I break something important trying to move?..."

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:44 pm

A slow smile grew on the Pannier as he heard that and it sank in that he was going to be able to work again. "When I got moved out here, I thought that was it, that I was just waiting for the day when they took me to my death." He said very quietly. 
~~
Helen grinned at that, happy to hear such words, and happy to be getting out of there. She waited there for them to gather up the others ao they could all leave here.
~~~
Roger smiled a little then shrugged "Either way, I hope you like the feel of  someone sitting here again for now, then we can figure out who's working with who once everyone's all fixed up and running again."
~~~
"If something breaks then we will fix it to the best of our ability. We won't leave you here" Gus said then shook his head a little "I won't leave you here no matter what. These seem like good people Sam, we can get to know them better together."

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:41 pm

"Well now you don't have to worry about that anymore," Ben reassured him.  "You won't be scrapped as long as we have a say in it.  You'll probably be kept around for company long after you've broken down so much that you can't be repaired, and we'll do everything we can to push that eventual date back as far as we can."

~~~
"You gonna be okay chilling here for a bit while I go find somewhere else to help?" Connie asked curiously.  "Or do you want me to stay here until they bring one of the other engines over?"

~~~
"Yeah, I do enjoy it," Rosie said with a sigh.  "It's been so long since I've even moved, this lets me feel... Well, like I actually exist again, thank you..."

~~~
"Thanks Gus, I know I can always count on you..." Sam said, gasping sharply when she felt the jolt of the GP-40 latching up to her tender's rear coupler.  "Oh God... this is it... Gus, c-could you... could you ride with me for this please?  I need someone I trust close..."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:00 pm

"Thanks" the pannier tank said quietly. It was very touching that they would promise something like that when they didn't know him yet. 

Lilly smiled at him as she worked on greasing his wheels up for the move. 
~~~
"I will be fine, go get the others." Helen said. She would keep stretching in place while they were gone. She was more excited to get the others here and hooked up so they could leave.
~~~
Roger smiled and patted her cabin. "Well, for now, stretch gently while the others get everyone ready. They will come for us soon enough. 
~~~
Gus nodded and got in the cab. "Of course Sam. I will be happy to take a ride with you anywhere." He said gently, taking a seat and looking around her cabin again.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:13 pm

"Don't mention it," Ben said with a smile as he started working on the engine's other side.  "So where'd you come from?  How'd you end up here?"

~~~
"Alright then, I'll see you soon enough," Connie called as she buttoned up her coat a little tighter and moved off towards where Rosie and Roger were.

~~~
"Alright, sounds good to me," Rosie said as she started working on what Roger had suggested.  "So you said you grew up as a fireman, huh?  Where'd you work with your dad and friends?"

~~~
"Alright... Here we go then..." Sam said as she drew in a deep breath and Dirk signalled the GP-40 to start reverse slowly.  Sam winced in pain as she felt the strain against her coupler and frame, her stiff joints stubbornly resisting any sort of movement.  She gritted her teeth as a low creaking noise started coming from her undercarriage, followed by an awful metalic grinding and a sharp shriek of pain as Sam began moving fractionally.  "AAAAHHH, F##########CK!!  STOPSTOPSTOPSTOP!" Sam wailed.  "I'm seizing, I'm seizing, please stop!"

"HOLD UP!" Dirk shouted as the GP-40 slowed and Dirk raced over to look at what might have been the problem and the source of the grinding as Sam softly whimpered in pain.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:07 am

"Just the typical sold from one to another to another. No big story for me. I just never clicked with any crews" He replied 
~~~
"Pretty much the same lines we will be running now. I never was one fro traveling outside my area much." Roger said with a shrug "Once the trains stopped running, I stayed in town, played on the engines that were still around until they got taken away too." He sighed and shook his head a little 
~~~
Gus flinched at the noise and the scream of pain, jumping out when she stopped to look at what had happened with Dirk "What do you see?" He asked

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:12 am

"Well maybe we can turn that around this time," Ben said.  "Jeez, that's impressive, I guess Chris actually wasn't kidding this time.  You're in good enough shape that we could probably just grease you up, fill up your tanks, light a fire and drive you out of here.  I'm surprised you're not still out working somewhere, how long has it even been since you were last serviced?  Six months?"

~~~
"Ahh, so you're a local then," Rosie said.  "As you can probably guess from my livery, I'm from Nooyauk originally.  The accent doesn't come through much at aull anymore, but sometimes a couple things slip through."  She chuckled a little as her own accent caught her a bit by surprise, then she continued.  "Anyways, everything went pretty normally for most of my career, but then one day I took a fast freight out to Cincinnati and I was parked in the yard for the overnight stay.  My crew got off and headed to get some rest in the barracks, and they just never came back.  I sat on that siding waiting for them for four years, but nobody ever showed up.  Nobody ever told me what happened to them, they just abandoned me there.  Eventually I guess Chris bought me as salvage and had me towed here, and this is where I've sat ever since."

~~~
"Son of a b#tch, it's her left main piston rod," Dirk groaned in disappointment.  "It's totally seized up, jammed against the guide rails, and it looks like a few of the joints on her side rods are frozen internally as well.  Really nothing we can do about any of it in this weather and without proper equipment, we're just gonna have to keep going and hope that the guide rails snap free instead of the piston rod."

"Wait, what!?" Sam cried out, still whimpering lightly in pain.  "No, please, I... I can't, the pain was too much, just don't..."

"Sorry babe, we don't really have any other options," Dirk sighed.  "Better to just get it over with now and lick your wounds later.  It's like pulling off a Band-Aid, you can't be a wimp and do it slow..."  He gave the signal for the GP-40 driver to resume pulling before getting himself out of the potential line of fire, then finished with "...you gotta just grit your teeth and rip it off."

"No wait, I-I jus--.... AAAAAGGGHH!" Sam started to say before being reduced once again to a heart-wrenching wail of agony as her backwards movement started again, inch by inch.  The creaking and the awful grinding sounds were clear and loud between her sobs, but after a moment a new sound appeared.  A new metalic creak began and rapidly rose in pitch as if the metal was coming under extreme compressive strain, then with a shrieking *CRACK* both it and the grinding noise stopped instantly and one of Sam's left guide rails broke free completely and was shot off into the stratosphere.  Sam's wails of agony stopped as well, now that the deed was done and her side rods bearings were freed up from the jolt and she began rolling freely, once again only whimpering softly from the residual pain.

"Well... that was something..." Dirk said in a bit of amazement as he went back over to Sam's side to inspect her again, laying a hand comfortingly on her running board as he walked with her.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:44 pm

"I had one a week before I was sold here and that was about four months or so ago." He had lost track of time here. He wasn't even certain of the current date, just that it was winter, obviously.
~~~
Roger frowned a little at that then shook his head "Maybe we can look that up and find out what happened, if you want. Even if there's nothing we can do, it would be good to know, right?"
~~~
Gus frowned, looking to Dirk then moving beside him as they backed away. Once the piece flew free, he watched it before running over to get back in Sam's cab again. "I'm sorry Sam, They better be able to fix that when we get to their shop."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:27 am

"Wow, really?  That's surprising, I wonder why they didn't--..." Ben started to say before he heard the shriek of pain from Sam and watched a piece of something shoot off into the sky.  "Good God, did you see that!?" he blurted in shock.  "Well jeez, I guess something must have happened one way or another with Sam..."

~~~
"Yeah, I'd like that," Rosie said, gasping when she heard Sam's cry of agony and watched the broken piece of her piston rod guide rails go flying off into the sky.  "Oh God, Sam... What the hell just happened?  I hope she's okay..."

~~~
"I-It's just a g-guide rail..." Sam said softly as the GP-40 slowly pulled her backwards down the track that had been her home for the past fifteen years.  "It aught t-to be p-pretty easy..."

"Yeah, we'll get it fixed," Dirk said reassuringly.  "And if the rails she had jammed up that bad, they were junk and needed to be replaced anyways."

Sam smiled a bit and looked around at the other engines she would be leaving behind.  "W-well, I guess this is it guys," she said, tearing up again but this time with happiness.  "I won't forget you guys, w-wish me luck..."

"Man, you steam engines just never give up, do you?" the GP-40 grumbled.

"Oh blow it out your exhaust!" Sam shot back.  "You guys think we're good for nothing but scrap, but you wait and see!  Give me a month, and I'll show you and your whole freaking UP line just what scrap is really capable of!"

"Yeah yeah, whatever," the snobby UP diesel scoffed.  "I'll sure see, I'll see you broken down and left for scrap somewhere out on the main line in about a month and I'll have to drag you all the way to Lake Hurst like should have been done years ago."

"Yeah, I'm sure," Sam said, glancing back towards the engines that had become her only friends.  "I'll be back to see you guys, I promise, I'll show the world that we've still got a place on a modern railroad, and I'll do it for you."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 pm

The tank looked up at the flying metal and flinched "That is not good, must have really hurt." He said, watching the metal still "Hope that doesn't hurt anyone when it comes down." 
~~~
Roger stood and looked out of the window, frowning "I hope she's alright. We will find out soon enough, but we can fix a lot of parts at the shop."
~~
Gus sat and patted her gently "I'm just sorry you had to get hurt, even if it will get fixed after we get to their shop." He said then took the seat there. He would have hoped they could get to the new place without hurting her.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:00 pm

(Omg, I just found an excuse for that name.  Lol, I'm such a dweeb)

"Yeah, I know, if it comes down near anyone they'd better be listening and ready to duck," Ben said before going quiet for a moment.  "Huh... Duck, maybe that would work?... What do you two think of Duck as a name?"

~~~
"Yeah, you're right," Rosie said, smiling a bit more at what Roger had finished with.  "Oh man, I'm gonna be able to go to a workshop again, we all are.  It's been so long, I'll finally be rid of this bum wheel."

~~~
"Gus, it's okay," Sam said, trying to stretch a bit more as they rolled back towards the holding track.  "But now I'm finally gonna have a place I can come home to.  I'll be running again, Gus, and I'll have a proper home to come back to..."  As she was towed backwards past the holding track, her eyes lit up when she saw the form of a black and faded purple Hudson locomotive.  "Oh my God, Helen!?  You're coming too!?" she said excitedly.  "Oh this is great!  I've always wondered what a real Hudson looked like, you look pretty good."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:58 pm

"Duck?" He had never thought that could be a name for anything more than the animal. Hm, not bad though. "Sounds good." 
~~~
Roger chuckled and nodded at that, glad she thought so too. "Yeah, a shop, and a home to come back to after a run." He said happy for her.
~~~
Helen looked up and smiled at Sam as she was pulled over to her "Yeah, I'm going too. Isn't it exciting? Are you alright? I heard you earlier." She said with concern for the other engine.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:39 pm

"Really?  You like it?" Ben said in surprise.  "Well shoot, if you think it fits I'm not gonna second guess you.  What about you, Lilly?  You like the sound of Duck as this guy's new name?"

~~~
Rosie sighed happily again and looked across at where she could see a few people from the salvage yard's staff starting to work on quick servicing of the Budd streamliner coaches that the FBL employees had bought in addition to the locomotives.  "No way, you guys are getting the CZ cars too?  Oh that's so good, Sam's gonna love pulling those.  They might not be Esspee Daylight cars, but they'll look nice with her and they'll get the job done."

~~~
"Yeah, I'll be okay," Sam said, shrugging her cylinders a bit as the 'Jeep' engine slowed to a halt and the points were switched over.  "Blew out a seized guide rail on my left side, but these guys seem pretty confident that they can fix me back up good as new.  Gus trusts them, and that's good enough for me."  She was pushed up gently behind Helen's tender and coupled up there, then as she set her now loosened parking brakes and the Jeep pulled away and headed off to get Rosie, she laughed a bit and jokingly said "Nice butt you got there, Helen, I take it they must feed you guys pretty well up in the land of the moose?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:21 pm

"It's much better than no name at all, and it actually means something to us because of how it was thought up, so yeah, Duck it is." The newly named Duck said with a chuckle.

"It sounds like he likes it, which is all that matters." Lilly said gently. 
~~~
Roger nodded and looked off towards the cars "Yeah, we needed cars, and those are perfect for the job, so they are coming too." He said cheerfully.
~~~
Helen chuckled at that "Eh, they do pretty well up there, don't you know?" She said, giving an accent to that line before chuckling again "It almost makes you giddy just to be leaving this place in the dust, doesn't it? Even if it hurts to move much right now."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:20 pm

"Right then, it's decided, nice to meet you Duck," Ben said with a smile.  "My name's Ben, and this is Lilly.  Hopefully you're in as good shape internally as you seem to be, and if so, you've got plenty of years of service ahead of you.  I guess it'll just be a matter of figuring out who is gonna be crewing you."  He glanced over towards the coaches that were getting worked on, then turned back to Lilly and said "I think Duck's just about ready to go, you think we aught to head over to supervise and help with the coaches for a bit?"

~~~
"That's great news," Rosie said, letting out a squeal of surprise when she was unexpectedly coupled up to from behind by the Jeep engine.  "Oh Jeez, you gonna at least take me to dinner first, buddy?" she called as she strained for a moment to pull her parking brake off, then started rolling slowly backwards, the bum wheel on her B unit clunking loudly against the rail every revolution.

"Nah, I like to get straight to the fun part," the Jeep engine said with a shrug.  "Shame you're heading off with all these dirty old steam engines, you're still pretty good-looking for an old-timer."

"Boy, I'd shut your trap talking about my friends like that if I were you," Rosie warned.  "Or I'll hit you so hard you won't be able to tell your gas tank from your transmission housing."

The Jeep seemed to quiet down after that and simply went about his business of pulling Rosie back towards the growing consist of locomotives.

As they were moving, Connie would surprise Roger by suddenly seeming to just appear behind him in Rosie's cab.  "You guys having fun in here?" she said abruptly to try and scare him.

~~~
Sam laughed a bit as well at Helen's return joke, then nodded in agreement to the rest of what she'd said.  "Oh yeah, I feel the very same way.  It's rough and stiff and really uncomfortable, but I'm finally getting to go somewhere I can get fixed up and be useful again.  I'm finally gonna get to pull a passenger train, too!"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:29 am

Lilly nodded and smiled, patting Duck again. "Yeah, there's enough of them to take all of us to get them ready to go." She said "Duck is ready to go I think. Just have to make sure he gets picked up too."
~~~
Roger was surprised by the sudden coupling, then started chuckling at the banter between the two. Rosie could certainly hold her own. He startled at Connie's sudden appearance then looked at her again. "Yeah, we are having fun, aren't we Rosie?"
~~~
Helen chuckled happily at that. "Yeah, getting fixed up and having work to do will be wonderful. I can't wait. Who all else is coming, do you know?"

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:48 am

"Yeah, you're right about that much," Ben agreed as he hopped down from Duck's cab and gave him a reassuring pat as well.  "We'll be back in a bit to make sure you get picked up, Duck," he called back towards the ex-Great-Western tank engine before he looked over at the intimidatingly long string of passenger cars before them. "Jeez, did really buy a whole California Zephyr consist?"

~~~
"Yeah, we sure are," the perky F7 agreed as the Jeep engine came to a stop, uncoupled, then ran around the train so he could shunt Rosie onto the front of the consist they were creating.  Since she was designed as a streamliner, she would be the most effective as a windbreak for the rest of the relatively rough-edged locomotives behind her and would make the haul just that little bit easier for himself.

"I don't know exactly who else is coming," Sam said honestly.  "All I know is--..."  She paused for a few seconds when she heard a distinct, rhythmic *clunk clunk clunk clunk* sound that she remembered from about eleven years before.  "Wait, Rosie!?"  Sam stretched up and over to the left as much as she could manage with how stiff she still was and, around the edges of Helen's tender, she could see enough of the outline of a primarily blue F7 locomotive to confirm her suspicions.  "Oh yes!  Rosie, you're coming too!?"

"Sam!" Rosie replied gleefully, overjoyed that the three girls who'd grown so close over the years were all being saved and would stay together in their new life.  "Look out, we got big fat Nooyauker coming in," she teased as she was pushed down and coupled onto Helen's front.  "Oh God, it's so great to see we're aull gonna be staying together!"

"Oh trust me, you guys are gonna get really sick of me really fast, I'm sure," Sam teased back.  "And you got no room to talk, Rose, that title's mine.  I've got a good 20 tons on you and your booster combined, if anyone in this yard is the fatso, it's me."

"Yeah yeah, sure, whatever you say," Rosie replied, blowing a raspberry and half-jokingly adding "Helen, you mind giving her a little shunt for me?"

"Oh, Gus, do you know who else is coming with us?" Sam asked, seeming to ignore Rosie's snide comeback as the Jeep unit headed off after Dirk to find and retrieve Malcom.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:11 pm

Lilly laughed and nodded at that question "Yeah, we did and we are going to get them all home so they can be used." One way or the other. 

~~~
Helen laughed, but she didn't feel confident enough in their disrepair to risk shunting more than they would soon do soon enough.

Gus chuckled and nodded "Well, I know they got the Pannier that was off by himself, the Zypher cars, you three girls, Malcolm and...a partridge in a pear tree." He said, adding the last as a joke because of the list. "Ben said they want to go by and try to get Frankie from the farm too."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:58 pm

"Yeah, that's for sure," Ben said, arching an eyebrow in curiosity as he headed down towards one end of the consist where something that definitely wasn't a stainless steel coach was parked.  "Hello, what do we have here?..."

~~~
"So what, I'm a pear tree now?" Sam joked back, assuming that Gus had to be the Partridge by process of elimination.  "Oh, they got scammed on Malcom?... D#mn, that sucks, but maybe they'll be able to find a way to get him fixed up and workable again."

"They took the new kid too?" Rosie chimed in.  "He looks cute in green, I'll give him that much."

"You're such a flirt, Rosie," Sam teased.  "I'm pretty sure he's not your type anyways, he doesn't even have a name.  Besides, you're too lean, he's from England where the girls have a bit of meat on them, like me."

"And you're caullin me the flirt?  You're a disaster, Sam."

"Haven't had one yet, and don't plan to."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:00 pm

Lilly followed him, looking to what he had seen curiously "What?" She asked then smiled, walking over to the coaches to look at them then at what had caught his eye.
~~~
"Said he was a good deal, so probably not scammed. They also say they can fix him up, we shall see." Gus said and patted her cab "I didn't call you a tree, I said, you girls then threw in the joke about the tree." He said then just listened to them talk about the other train.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:52 pm

"Well..." Ben said with a growing smile.  "It looks to me like we've got ourselves seven old Pullman cars hooked up to the one end of this string of CZ coaches, and from what I remember overhearing you guys talking about, you guys bought 'this whole consist', so whether Chris realized it or not, I think we just got these for free."

~~~
"Ohh you know what I meant you big buffoon," Sam teased.  "But Malcom said there was something really wrong with him, at least when he actually talked at all, so I don't know honestly.  Maybe he'll be worth it, maybe not so much, I guess we'll see."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:10 pm

Lilly looked to Ben then to the consist and tilted her head a little "Well, it does look that way, doesn't it?" She didn't mind the little detail that they weren't specified, they had bought it as the consist and not individually after all.
~~~
Gus nodded and sighed softly "Yeah, word on the street is he has problems with his brakes, I don't know any more details than that though. We will see in time."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:30 pm

"Yeah, and you know, with these extra cars," Ben said as he climbed up the steps of the closest coach and cut the lock open to the interior.  "We'll be able to run local and express passenger services simultaneously as soon as we have the engines available to do it.  Now judging from the uhh... *cough* smell in here... We're gonna need to tear out all this old upholstery and put in new seats, but it looks like the windows are still intact like on the Zephyr coaches, which is awesome."

~~~
"Yeah, I'm sure we will see," Sam said with a slight shrug.

"Helen?... W-what's going on?..." Nathan asked timidly as he eased her firebox doors open and crawled out into her cab.  "W-why were we moving?... Did... D-did they come to take you away to the smelters?..."  The fragile little boy was already tearing up at the thoughts of Helen getting hauled off to die, especially since she had sheltered him the night before and had even sang to him softly to lull him to sleep.

~~~
"Here we go, this guy's gotta be it," Dirk said with a smile as he found Duck off on his siding, then set a few points correctly and signaled for the Jeep engine to come down and couple up.  They'd already grabbed Malcom, and had decided to get both tank engines in one trip.  "Yep, fifty-seven-hundred class, number nine-six-six-six, this is the right engine.  Hey, how you doing today?  You look like you could use a lift, fella."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum