The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Page 22 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It's the year 1970, and the American railroad industry is modernizing at an incredible pace.  Steam locomotives as a species are being killed off in preference of more reliable and efficient diesel-electric locomotives.  Thousands of the old iron giants are being dragged off to scrap yards and smelting plants in long, ominous funeral trains, their eyes wide and pleading for help that will never come to any human they pass by on their way to their inevitable deaths.  To their old crews, these locos are family, but to the industry, they're now a liability, worth nothing more than their weight in scrap steel, at a rate of about forty seven dollars per metric ton.

In northern Washington State, trouble is brewing in the small railroad city of Fort Fairfax.  The local railroad company has been run out of business by the mega-tycoon that is the Union Pacific.  With the rail line shut down and deteriorating from years of disuse, the only way in and out of the valley was via the main 'highway', Route Seven, but on December 3rd, 1970, heavy snow and ice caused a rock face in the mountains to collapse, completely burying three miles of Route Seven under millions of tons of granite boulders, snow, and ice near the town of Saint Josef.  Luckily only ten people were killed, but the road was rendered completely impassable, practically cutting off the entire valley of Bucket Falls from the outside world.  (There are other roads out of the valley, but Route Seven was the only one that was remotely safe in winter conditions, and the only route capable of supporting large trucks in any weather)  The only hope for Fort Fairfax, as well as the neighboring towns of Thomas Canyon, Josha's Cradle, Simonville, and Dunk Town, and the hamlet of Elena Junction, was reopening the old railroad.  The two main industries in the canyon, Dyken's Coal Mine and the Lena's Mineral Mining Company, were among the first to get onboard the bandwagon of reopening the line, followed closely by the Dunk Town Sawmill and Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals.  The companies could all theoretically survive through the winter by temporarily shutting down their operations to save capital, then reopening after the spring thaw would allow for Route Seven to be cleared and rebuilt, but in a rare stroke of plain humanity all four of the company CEOs decided that the railroad reopening would not only be good news for all of them, but more importantly, would be good news for all the people living in the valley.  With the support from the local industries and the residents of the valley, a group of citizens from Fort Fairfax formed the Full Bucket Line Preservation Society, which soon enough became the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  The initial investments from the industrial companies provided the FBLRR with most of the initial capital they needed to get most of the line repaired to the point of being safely usable, but that still left them with a rather serious problem.

What the hell good is a railroad with no locomotives and no rolling stock?

When the line was first shut down, the Union Pacific bought up everything worth recovering at the bankruptcy auction, which included all the locomotives and nearly all of the rolling stock.  There were a few cars left behind scattered around the line, but all needed serious work if they were even salvageable at all, and even all of them put together weren't going to be enough to run the railroad with.  Luckily most of the old railroad's employees were local residents, so there was no shortage of qualified workers, but the company was quickly running out of cash, and they still didn't even have any locomotives.

And so the search began for the trains that could help to save the valley of Bucket Falls.  For the size of the line they would be trying to run, starting off they would need at least one or two small locomotives for shunting work and pulling maintenance trains (probably small steam tank engines or diesel switchers), two or three mid-sized locos for general freight traffic and short, local passenger trains, and one large, powerful main-line locomotive for bringing the big freight trains in and out of the valley, as well as pulling the fast passenger services.  It's a tall order, but hopefully the folks at the FBLRR can find some of what they need without breaking the bank.

And hopefully the engines themselves will be willing to cooperate after being neglected and cast aside for so long.

Its the nature of time that the old ways must give in
Its the nature of time that the new ways come in sin
When the new meets the old it always ends the ancient ways
But as history told, the old ways go out in a blaze

~~~~~

Okay, so if you can't tell, this is a world where many of the vehicles that humans build and use are sentient beings, sort of like in "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "Cars" (if Cars had humans).  They have a fair bit of control over themselves, but still need human crew to fully operate most of the time.  They do have faces, but not Thomas-style faces where it covers most of the front of their body.  They're much less intrusive, being just eyes and a mouth somewhere that makes sense on the front of their body, like this:
As sentient beings, they've all got their own personalities and feelings, most have names, they can feel pain and other physical sensations with surprising sensitivity.  Their bodies are a bit flexible, but not quite to the extent of the characters in "Cars".  When a locomotive and its crew are familiar with one another and have formed a tight bond, one can expect to see significantly better physical performance out of both.  The mental health of a sentient vehicle has a significant and direct impact on their physical capabilities, meaning a happy, satisfied train with a good crew that they're close to will tend to perform significantly better than their design specifications say they should be able to, while a depressed or angry locomotive or one with a crew that they're always at odds with will have substantially worse general performance, or may even straight-up refuse to work at all.

Please keep in mind for the vehicles that most of what the FBLRR is going to be using/getting their hands on is going to be old, outdated, and generally unwanted equipment.  Very little, if anything, is going to be new or modern (for the present time period of 1970) so try to keep to trains that were built between the 1940s and the early '60s, or were being retired from service in 1966 at the latest.  Trucks could probably be a bit newer, like '68 or '69 (giggity), but toss in some older ones as well for added historical nostalgia stuff.

Character Forms:

Human:

Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Personality:
Relevant skills:
Recommended/Desired/Current job:
Other:

Trains:

Name: (If they were ever given one, or can remember their name)
Class: (The exact type of train they were.  Please be specific.  If you have an idea about what you want from the character, do some searching online to find something that might match what you want)
Personality:
Picture (Optional):
Other:

Trucks:

Name: (Again, if they ever got one)
Personality:
Picture: (Optional)
Other:

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Wed May 23, 2018 10:17 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Minor gramatical revisions, added a short bit of symbolic poetry)
Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Re: The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Starrnico on Sat May 26, 2018 10:07 am

Duck enjoyed the scenery as they traveled along to the UP lines. He frowned at the passenger train. "We aren't lost and we have permission." He said simply, ignoring the other questions and the way the other spoke for now. He wasn't going to let their bad attitude ruin his day, not that easily.

~~~
Gus said his piece as calmly and went with the others to the cemetery. He had to go to the lawyer's office for the reading of the will after this.
~~
The young male frowned but nodded and would show them to the waiting room. "I have to go wake her up." He said and left them to go wake the matron.

After he had left, a young girl came in, looking at them curiously. "You are the cops?" She asked quietly.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)
Gold Pieces: 15 g 42 s 86 c

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat May 26, 2018 3:33 pm

“Oh really, Limey?  Permission from who?” the E9 diesel scoffed at Duck's calm and simple response.  “The Prince of Wales?  Queen Elizabeth the Second?  Spare me the banter you glorified kettle, you’re old enough to be a museum piece if anyone but a couple old geezers cared about junkers like you.”

~~~
Dirk stood close by Gus’ side as his old friend was laid to rest, giving him a comforting hug from the side as the casket touched the ground in the bottom of the hole, then helping to disassemble and remove the equipment used to lower the casket down into the grave.  As nearly everyone else left, he and Gus stayed there with the small grave digging team, each grabbing a shovel to help for a bit with filling the hole back in.  Once that was done, Dirk bowed his head for a moment in a silent prayer, then put a hand on Gus' shoulder before they would head to the actual reading of Erin’s will.  “You gonna be alright bud?”

~~~

Joseph and his deputy both thanked the young man as he ran off to wake the matron.  When the little girl showed up Joseph smiled at her and said “Yes, we are.  What are you doing up so early, little one?"

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
I AM THE SALMON MODERATOR
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat May 26, 2018 5:06 pm

Duck sighed and looked back a little. "You think they will back off if we give them a name?" He asked almost rhetorically. He didn't think so and didn't listen well enough to hear the name given of who had allowed it. 
~~~
Gus nodded and sighed softly. "Yeah, I will. It's good to know he's taken care of now." He said then shook his head and looked to Dirk. "I think that's what hit me the worst, knowing he just laid there, forgotten for so long." 
~~~
"The knocking woke me up." Alice replied and came closer after glancing to the stairway. "Did my friend send you to shut this place down?" She asked in a quieter voice.

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun May 27, 2018 7:08 am

“Probably not,” Rosie shrugged as she rolled her eyes at the arrogance and indignity of her younger cousin.  “Look darling, Ah don’t know what they teach you youngsters nowadays, but Ah grew up in the Bronx back when it was bad, and I mean gangsters running the streets and snowplows being used for bullet casings bad.  So why don’t you go find someone else's day to ruin?  We’re here on business, and we’ve got papers from your assistant controller Mr. Sullivan to prove it.”

“Please, Arthur's a pushover, he says yes to just about anything,” the E9 shot back dismissively.  “Frankly, as far as I care, you can take that paperwork and stuff it up your--…”

Before the streamlined diesel could finish that remark, she was cut off by a loud and surprising sound coming up from behind them all.  It was a very deep, throaty steam whistle, followed by a voice that bellowed “Eleanor!  What have I told you about badmouthing visiting locomotives?  Your signal has been green for two minutes already, you’ve got people waiting on the platform heading for Vancouver, get a move on!”

The E9 looked up at her bright green signal light and flushed noticeably, then quickly jerked into motion and started rolling forwards without another word.  The source of the voice was presently obscured by Eleanor’s passing coaches, but it was pulling up beside them on the track beyond hers, but it was clearly a steamer from the sounds and the pillar of steam.  One other thing was clear; this guy was BIG.

~~~
“Yeah, I’m pretty shocked by that too,” Dirk said honestly.  “But I guess it shows that Erin didn’t really have any earnest friends except for you if nobody but you thought to check on him when nobody had heard from him in a over year.  I’ll be interested to see what comes of this, since the letter said that he had made it clear he wanted you present at the reading of his Will.”

(What's Gus' middle name?  It might be important in the coming scene)

~~~
“Your friend?” Joseph echoed curiously before shaking his head a bit.  “I’m sorry, but I don’t think I know what you’re talking about.  They gave us their identities so we could know they were credible tips, but that’s confidential information…”  He paused briefly as, because Alice’s height and figure made her seem to be a lot younger than she really was, he had a feeling she might not know what 'confidential' meant, so he decided to briefly explain.  “Uhh, that is it’s supposed to stay a secret to other people.  So we know who they were because they told us, but I’m not allowed to tell you who they were because they asked us not to.  They did both have a lot of things to say about the ways that this place treats you children, however, and there was just so much information and I knew and trusted them both well enough that I felt we just had to take a look for ourselves.”  He glanced back towards the staircase when he heard the creaking footsteps of someone who was coming down from the third floor onto the second, and would be able to see them all in a few seconds when they reached the corner of the lower half of the first floor stairs.  He thought about shooing Alice away since she might risk being punished if what they had been told was true, but decided against it as he made his way back over to the reception desk where he resumed casually waiting, deciding that her unexpected presence could be a useful way to initially gauge the demeanor of the matron.

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun May 27, 2018 2:39 pm

Duck sighed softly as he watched the other engine go, looking to their light to check it for any change once Elinor was gone. He looked to the other steam engine once he was in sight and smiled "Hello"
~~~
(I don't think I ever gave him one. Say Otis?)
"Or just none close by." Gus said with a frown. He sighed and shook his head a little, looking up to see where they were. "We will know soon enough." 
~~~
Alice thought about that then jumped and turned to the stairs before hurrying to vanish before she could be seen. She did not want to be in trouble if the cops couldn't shut this place down in time. 

The male had come back down with the matron, staying behind her a little. The woman looked at the cops, though she noticed a little imp hiding away behind the couch. She frowned a little at that then focused on the cops again "Good morning, can I ask why you are coming by so early in the morning?"

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon May 28, 2018 11:22 am

“Howdy,” the voice said pleasantly as the last passenger car finally passed them and revealed the appearance of the mysterious other steam locomotive who had come to their defense, and the signals for him and for the little group of Bucketniers would both still be red.  Ashley and Nathan’s jaws hung open in awe as they took in the sight of the steel behemoth that looked before them, this engine and his tender together looked like they were fully as long as Rosie, her B-unit, and Duck all put together.  He was painted a flat, though slightly greenish grey from his cowcatcher to the rear of his massive tender, with a pair of thin yellow stripes running all along his length, each spaced about a foot or so either direction from the middle of his height.  Between these lines, in the middle of his tender, “UNION PACIFIC” was painted in that same signature company yellow.  He also had a pair of huge rectangular smoke deflectors, or “elephant ears”, mounted on either side of the front of his boiler.  His drive wheels were sizable, and they were though nowhere near as large as Sam's truly massive 80-inchers, this engine had twelve of them, arranged in two sets of six with a pair of cylinders for each set.  He also had a two-axle bogey both leading and trailing his drive wheels, as well as one more on the front of his tender, which had five more axles behind that which were fixed rigidly to the frame of the tender.  His number plates, mounted up on his forehead alongside a big bronze bell, read “3977”, and visible in the wing mirrors of the two FBL locomotives would be the seemingly endless mixed goods train that this engine was pulling.

“And here Ah was thinking Ah’d already seen everything,” Rosie laughed openly as she looked over the handsome stranger.  “Never wodda' thought Ah'd see a real Challenger in the steel, and running nonetheless.  Thanks for chasing off that snobby E9 for us, she was starting to be a real pain in the axles.”

“Yeah, sorry about Eleanor,” the Challenger said, his voice now much softer and gentler, but still incredibly deep and, in an way, oddly soothing.  “She’s always kinda been like that, most of the new E9s are.  Think they’re something else just because they’re the latest, greatest thing in streamlined diesels, and Ellen's worse than most because she’s always been assigned on permanent passenger duty, mostly express too, never pulled a freight car in her life.  You’d think she was the worst kind of royalty with how entitled she acts.  I’m just about the only one around here other than Mr. Percival himself that she actually respects, or fears more likely, enough to actually listen to anymore.”  He sighed for a moment, his old brakes letting off four big clouds of steam, one from near each of his cylinders, to make sure that enough pressure had drained from the system to firmly lock down the cars even at the tail end of his huge consist.  “Now I would definitely remember seeing you two around here before, so who are you guys and where'd you come from?  You with that new railroad that just popped up in the valley east of here?”

~~~
(Okay, sure, that’ll work fine)
By now the pair would be making their way into one of the offices in the town hall where the official reading of Erin's Last Will and Testament would take place.  “Yeah, I suppose we will,” Dirk said with a shrug as the pair headed inside and found seats, then waited a few more moments for the reading to actually start.

“This I am about to read out, in the presence of you all and of God, is the Last Will and Testament of the late Erin Vaughn Cochrane,” the lawyer said simply after everyone who had been invited or was deemed relevant based on their previous and various relationships with Erin had showed up and quieted down.  He opened the sealed envelope and retrieved the old paper document inside, seeming surprised that there was only a single page, printed front and back.  Still, he cleared his throat briefly then began reading.
“'I've never been much for all of this sort of formal nonsense, but from what I understand it is somewhat necessary for such an important legal matter such as this.  There are not many people whom I still know who are really worth mentioning, I have been mostly alone ever since the farm became too much work for me to run mostly on my own.  My only two continual companions in my later years have been Gustav Otis Vasa, a young human railroad engineer I have worked with for years, and Franklin, a Fowler 4F steam locomotive whom I have worked with and known for my entire adult life.  I have thought very long and hard about this, as I did not want to make a mistake or an error in judgement that could cause people to fight with each other after I have passed, but I feel certain that the decision I have made is the right one.  Because our society does not justly recognize the true personhood and value of one of my two greatest friends, I feel that the only reasonable choice is for me to leave him in the care of the other of my friends.  That is why, under a single condition, I will leave complete ownership of all of my earthly possessions, including my business name and title, Franklin the locomotive, my farm house, the four-hundred-twenty-seven acres of land that they sit on, and everything else which may be on this property, to Gustav Otis Vasa.  Gus, my young pupil, the single binding condition of this inheritance is that you take care of Franklin to the very best of your abilities, even if that means you must sell most or all of the farm's property to afford that.  Land is just land, Franklin was the brother I never met, and you are like the son I never had a chance to have.  I fully trust that you will do the right things going forward, especially for Franklin, and if it is at all possible I want you to find somewhere that he can work again, or at the very least run under power.  He has already spent too many years wasting away in that old barn with nothing to do, and I’m certain that he would have gone mad from boredom years ago if I had not been coming out to spend hours with him every single day and taking on entirely new hobbies like all sorts of tinkering just to give myself more excuses to be in that barn with Franklin.  Gus, if you are hearing or reading this, that means that you and Franklin have both lost a dear friend, but it also means that he needs help more than anything.  You are young and still in your prime, you have the energy and the capability to care for a old steamer like Franklin.  He still has plenty of good years left in him before he’s willing to admit it might be time to retire and relax, and you can help him make the most of those years.  Do what you know to be best, do good by him where I had failed him.  Tell him I’m sorry for leaving him, however it must have come about, and that I’m sorry for not being a better caretaker while I was around for him.  Thank you, Gus, for everything you have done for me over the years, and thank you for being such a great friend over the years.  Good luck and Godspeed.  Signed Erin Vaughn Cochrane.’”

Everyone in the room was silent in shock and disbelief for a moment until the lawyer took a breath and said “’P.S. I know it is incredibly childish and spiteful of me, but there is a massive groundhog den about a hundred yards due south of the house's kitchen.  I have nearly broken my ankles stepping in those groundhog tunnels more times than I can count.  When you get a chance, would you kindly get some dynamite and send those no-good pests my regards for me?  I simply can’t stand the thought of them getting the last laugh on me.’”

Dirk couldn’t help but chuckle slightly at hearing that, but soon enough he returned to a state of total disbelief and he leaned over to Gus and softly sighed “You’ve gotta be kidding me, dude there’s no way that that really just happened…”

~~~
Joseph had made sure not to follow Alice’s movements with his head, but only briefly with his eyes alone to attempt to ensure he didn’t give her away needlessly, though it appeared that the matron could tell where she had hidden anyways.  “You’re Miss Lisandra Springfield, correct?” he asked as he stood up from the couch, getting a nod from the woman in confirmation of her identity.  Once again, he introduced himself to her.  “I’m Sheriff Joseph Matthews with the Blaine County Sheriff’s Department, this is Deputy Isaac Witwicky.  We’ve received several very concerning complaints in the past few days about this organization, primarily about how the conditions the orphaned children here are kept in are intentionally poor and inadequate, and how their general treatment and care is exploitive and unethical.  Now we don’t yet have evidence to support these suspicions, but we know the sources we received the information from to be particularly trustworthy and because the reports described such serious conditions we felt the need to come and have a look ourselves and investigate.  You’re not being detained or arrested, or charged with anything yet, but we would like to have a thorough look around, see if anything is as our informants described, or if everything here is fine and we need to give them a stern call back.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon May 28, 2018 11:47 am

"The Full Bucket line, yes, I'm called Duck and this is Rosie. Glad to meet you." Duck said with a smile as he could reply again. This guy was huge and his load was huge.
~~~
Gus listened to the reading, surprised to be left everything like that. Even he had to laugh at that last part, nodding just because that was so much like the man had been before. He looked to Dirk then back to the lawyer. "He left everything to me, just for the condition of taking care of Franklin? That's incredible, and we have just the place to give him work until he wants to retire."
~~~
"Yes, I am Miss Springfield." She said, frowning at the information he gave to her. She looked to where the child was hiding then shook her head a little "Of course the kids are being taken care of, we have had some stay on even after aging out like Mark here." She said, indicating the male that had answered the door for them. "Now, unless you have a warrant, you are not disrupting our day."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon May 28, 2018 12:53 pm

The Challenger smiled as Jim piped up after Duck and introduced himself as the rest of the humans crewing the two other locomotives.  "Well it's nice to finally meet some of you folks," he said gleefully.  "My name's General William Sherman, kinda like that one massive Redwood tree in California, but everyone just calls me Sherman."

"How come you're still around and working for the Union Pacific when they've gotten rid of every other steam locomotive on their roster?"

Sherman glanced around, acting as if he was checking to see if anyone would notice him telling these engines something super top-secret, then chuckled and shook his head a bit.  "Actually, despite the rumors people will tell, there's actually still quite a few of us left on UP's roster, mostly spread out between here and the lines around Colorado.  I'm one of only two Challengers left in service, but there's still eight of our bigger cousins the Big Boys running, and the reasoning for that is that UP still knows that there's no diesel engine that can haul eighty cars up the grade to Mount Oliver solo, or even double-heading.  Even their biggest diesels need to at least triple up with that kind of load, but we've got so much traction and so much torque that it's almost not even exciting to watch.  When they were decommissioning their fleets of articulated steamers, they decided to keep around the two Challengers and eight Big Boys who were in the best shape and had the best track records for performance, efficiency and work ethic, and it just so happened I was on the top of that list and bought myself another 20 some-odd years of service or so.  Guess there's someone up in Corporate that still recognizes the value that us steamers can have, right Duck?"

~~~
"Yeah, we certainly do," Dirk said, still seriously surprised by this sudden, fortunate turn of events, but apparently less so than some of the other, older men in the room (likely some of Erin's old business partners).  "From what I saw his boiler wasn't hurt when the roof caved in, just his cab roof, chimney, his steam dome, and the top of his tender.  Honestly getting him fixed up should be the easy part, digging him out of that barn without bringing the whole rest of the building down is gonna be the tough part."

~~~
Joseph sighed and reached into one of his inside jacket pockets, pulling out a few folded pieces of paper and handing them to Lisa.  "I was hoping I wouldn't actually have to use this, because it was a pain to get ahold of and we came early to try and not intrude with any potential plans you might have had, but we do in fact have a search warrant.  Not sure what there is that could be getting disrupted at six thirty in the morning at an orphanage by showing two law enforcement officers around the place, but whatever that might be, making sure of these kids are safe and healthy is automatically more important; so sorry for the inconvenience, but we are having a look around, ma'am."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon May 28, 2018 4:45 pm

"Glad someone besides just the Full Bucket line does. It's good to know some steamers are still on the UP lines." Duck said with a grin. Of course that was probably why they had been allowed to do what they needed to do here.
~~~
"Yeah, Maybe we can get a small crew to take the remaining roof down and pull him out of there. I would have to get someone to run the farm part anyway. It'll be good." Gus said with a smile. He didn't care about the anger off the others so long as they didn't try anything.
~~~
She frowned and looked at the papers "For one you could wake them, for another breakfast is soon, it's being cooked now." She said and sighed, waving them to Mark "Show them around Mark"

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon May 28, 2018 7:59 pm

"Yeah, we're hanging in there," Sherman chuckled.  "And some of our crews have a family connection in at least a local manager position, in fact my fireman is actually my controller's daughter.  She's pretty attached as well, which I'm grateful for, because as long as she's around I'm not going anywhere."  He happened to catch his signal changing over to green and smiled as his brakes started releasing gradually all the way down the train.  "Well it was nice meeting you folks.  Since I'm assuming that you're here for your merchandise train, once you get into the yards just find Hank and tell him you're friends of mine.  He's one of those old ALCO S-4s, you can't miss him.  He knows this yard better than any of us, he'll help you find your train and get all set up."  With that and two short, sharp bellows from his whistle, Sherman lurched forwards and began steadily advancing into the busy marshalling yard with his mixed goods train in tow.  It took a full seven minutes for his last car to pass them, and another minute before their signal turned green.

Jim spoke over the radio with the switch tower manager and, after a bit of back and forth and initial confusion, the switches were changed remotely so they wouldn't follow on Sherman's line, and were instead being directed deeper down the yard.

"Man, I counted eighty five cars behind Sherman," Nathan said in amazement.  "You think Sam might be able to pull close to that much?  She's not as big, but her wheels are so huge."

~~~
"Yeah, we could even figure out some way of turning that farm into a pseudo sub-company of the Full Bucket Line," Dirk said, a bunch of different ideas already running through his head.  "There's definitely never been a lack of demand for cattle and milk around here, and demand means transportation, plus we can sell the product directly, no need for a middle man, which will mean we can sell cheaper and grab a lot of free customer appeal."  He quieted down, however, when he saw Gus being motioned over by the lawyer towards his desk, most likely to start signing a bunch of paperwork and title deeds for the transfer of ownership of Frankie and the rest of the property.

~~~
"Well since you mentioned breakfast, let's start in the kitchen," Joseph said, already starting to have some suspicions based on how quickly Lisa became defensive.  He also had a feeling that, if the information they'd gotten was true, if they started somewhere else she might try to have someone go and make breakfast for the kids to seem much more lavish than normal, since that was a fairly easy thing to change quickly.  "After you, Mark."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue May 29, 2018 11:28 am

"Thanks, we'll do that." Duck said then watched all the cars that were attacked to Sherman leave them. That was a lot of cars. "Maybe, it would be hard though, that's a lot of cars." He was glad when they were able to go again, heading for the yard with the others. He would look for Hank, so he could help them get the cars they were after.
~~~
Gus looked back to the lawyer and smiled sheepishly as he went to sign the paperwork. He had a home and farm as well as an engine again. He wasn't going to let this one get taken away if he could help it.
~~~
Mark nodded and led the way to the kitchen. They had some oatmeal being cooked by a female. She stopped and looked to the cops and Mark as they came in, frowning a little then waving. The matron had gone back to her room.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue May 29, 2018 1:02 pm

It wouldn’t be too long before the group would be able to hear the rumble of an engine that was constantly fluctuating between high and low RPMs from somewhere nearby in the yards, like the locomotive was constantly starting and stopping, shifting between forward and reverse, moving all over the place in that small area.  Once they had cleared the end of a short consist of steel coil cars, they would be able to see a yellow ALCO S-4 switcher who, based on Sherman's description, had to be his friend Hank.  He was presently shunting a short consist of older-looking cabooses from a number of different railroads and types, including mostly UP cupola or “standard” cabooses, onto a short storage siding where they would likely wait for either a refurbishment and a retrofit to be put back to service, or to simply be scrapped due to their age.  There were also a few Bay Window types though, still wearing the colors of Southern Pacific and Western Pacific.  One that caught Rosie’s eye the most was painted in her own original New York Central livery, though her paint had faded and worn a bit more than the coating on the car.  She waited until the little shunter had stopped and his crew was uncoupling him from the cabooses, then she called out to him “Hey there, you must be Hank, right?”

The ALCO, who must have been rather caught up in his work, jumped a bit in surprise when he heard Rosie’s voice.  He settled back down rather quickly when looked over at the pair of terribly mismatched locomotives, then simply looked on in a bit of wonder, mostly at Duck.  “Ohh uhh, hey,” he said eventually.  “Yeah, that’s me.  You guys are certainly new here, what can I do for you?”

~~~
For the volume of paperwork that Gus ended up having to go through and sign, it went by at a relatively quick pace of an hour and a half, and by the end of it all he was also the proud new owner of a rather nice classic briefcase which had belonged to Eric and now held all of his copies of the documents he’d signed, as well as one significantly sore right hand.  That, however, was the last thing they really needed to do here other than head back to the farm and tell Frankie the good news, with perhaps a stop at the local hardware store to pick up some civilian-grade digging explosives.

~~~
Joseph frowned at the sight of the very meager and plain “breakfast that was being prepared for the children here, and he didn’t see any signs anywhere in the kitchen that would indicate that there would be anything else made for the children to eat.  “Well, not the best first impression ever…” he said, seeming disappointed more than angry at this point.  He definitely took note of how quickly and eagerly miss Springfield had seemed to disappear upstairs, so he turned to his deputy and said “Isaac, you keep having a look around with Mark.  I’m heading upstairs with the matron.”

With that and a simple nod from Isaac, Joseph turned and headed up the stairs, not really rushing but certainly walking with purpose to catch up to the matron.  “Ma’am?  Miss Springfield?” he asked as he reached the top of the stairs and looked around for her.  “Why did you run off in such a hurry?”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue May 29, 2018 1:31 pm

Duck smiled at Hank "Our friend Sherman said you could help us find the cars we are after for the Full Bucket line  without having to look all over the yard." Duck said then chuckled "I'm Duck and this here's Rosie.
(lilly's with Rosie, right?)

~~~
Gus rubbed his hand for a moment before picking up the case so they could go. "Yeah, let's let Frankie know the good news and give those groundhogs a wake up call, if they are still around."
~~~
Mark bit his lip a little, but oatmeal was at least nutritious and not their normal gruel. He thought it a good thing they had gone shopping last week to have this now.

Lisandra turned and looked to him then down at herself "I am not dressed for receiving visitors, I figured you could have your look around while I get dressed for the day..unless you want to come watch me change?"

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue May 29, 2018 3:09 pm

(Yeah, it's Jim and Ashley with Duck, and Lilly and Nathan with Rosie, and we can say that Corey came along as well since cabooses were still required by law on all freight trains in North America until 1980, and they'd technically need someone to remain in the caboose even if they were using a rear helper engine.  Nobody would have really cared on Duck's short hop, since it was like 2 miles total.  The FBL is actually picking up their first three cabooses with this train, so nobody needs to mention Rosie's run two nights ago, lol)

"Oh really, you're those guys?" Hank said, seeming pleasantly surprised.  "Say no more, I'll show you guys where your train is waiting and find your cabooses as soon as you get yourselves turned around.  To get to the Wye, just head down... you know what, you just get on your way, I'll call your route in to the switch tower.  I'll meet you guys at the entrance to the Wye with your cabooses by the time you're done reversing."  As his crew climbed back onboard and he started reversing out of the siding, Hank could be heard speaking again, but not to them, saying "Hey Martin, can I get a route aligned to the Wye from Yard Track One Seven please?"

~~~
Dirk laughed a bit and gave Gus a firm pat on the shoulder as they headed out of the building and back to Riley in the parking lot.  "Yeah, took the words right out of my mouth.  I have a feeling that we've got exactly the news that Frankie needs to hear he most right now: that he's finally, for sure, going to have a home and a family and a place he can feel useful again."

~~~
"Is this seriously all that those kids get for breakfast?" Isaac asked in concern.  "From what I read the youngest two you have here are eleven and twelve years old, and the rest of the thirty or so are at least fourteen.  This really isn't enough for teenagers to subsist on in the morning."

~~~
"Not at all ma'am, but I'm sure you will understand that it would be unwise of me to allow you to be doing something behind a closed door for an extended period of time without me at least having a quick look in the room first, right?" Joseph said, giving a perfectly just reason for wanting to at least look into her room before allowing her to be in there in private and possibly hide or dispose of something that could condemn her and reveal something illicit or immoral she had been doing.  "I shouldn't need long for now, just a few minutes and then you can take your time and change."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue May 29, 2018 7:28 pm

"Thank you" Duck said with a smile as they started to turn around so they could get the cars. 

Lilly wondered about that caboose and if it was for sale, it certainly would go towards looking more 'professional' if they had a caboose that matched the engine. She would have to do some asking around though.

~~~
Gus smiled and walked with Dirk back to Riley, getting in and setting the case in the floorboard. "Yeah, I bet Frankie would love that. Hey Riley, you are looking at the new owner for a farm and the engine Frankie we met the last time we were here. Erin left it all to me."
~~~
Mark frowned and  looked to the pots again "Yeah, oatmeal, it's nutritious and cheap. It's what we all get." He shrugged and looked back to the officer again. "We liked when we could afford oatmeal when I was still a kid here."
~~~
She frowned and looked at Joseph then further down the stairs "Alice, you are not supposed to be up and about yet, and a lady does not eavesdrop. We have had that conversation before. As for you officer, I'm not sure what you expect from hooligans on the street, but I am a lady. I can assure you I do not have any weapons or anything as vulgar as that, especially with so many children here."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed May 30, 2018 6:43 am

Just as Hank had said, Duck and Rosie would find that they could just drive forwards all the way to the Wye turnaround, as the points were all aligned for them at Hank's request.  By the time they had reversed and were heading out of the Wye and back into the yard, Hank was already waiting for them with the first three cabooses Mr. Iverson had purchased a few days before.  There was a Santa Fe standard, a Southern Pacific Bay window, and funnily enough, a "Wide Vision" style caboose, which was essentially a standard cupola caboose where the cupola extended beyond the sides of the car for greater side visibility, from the Rock Island Line in New York.  "Alright, these three here are for you guys," he said with a smile.  "Your train's gonna be on track fourteen, and since I'm assuming Rosie's gonna be leading she can head down track fifteen to get in front while I put your cabooses on the rear of the train for you.  Don't worry about the switchwork, I'll take care of that with Martin, you guys just follow me for now."

A few moments later, Rosie was backing down towards the head of the train while Hank had left the group's cabooses on the track behind their consist before getting out of the way to let Duck advance and connect to them and to the back of the train.  Corey had hopped off of Rosie as they passed the three crew shelter cars and climbed aboard, and was already having a look around inside the new (to them at least) rail cars and double-checking the braking control systems.

~~~
Riley's eyes went wide for a moment and he was quiet in disbelief, though eventually he simply said "Shut up.  No way, he really left you everything?"

"You better believe it Riles," Dirk laughed as he got the old truck started up and they started heading back towards the farm, though they would be taking a small detour to stop in a gas station and a hardware store on the way.  "Eric said Gus and Frankie were the only two true friends he had left, and he left everything to Gus under the condition he take good care of Frankie for him.

"Wow... and just when I thought this world was really slipping into a hopeless pit of disrespect, selfishness, and awful people, this country never ceases to amaze me.  God bless A-freaking-merica…"

~~~
"Hang on, hang on, did you say 'when you could afford oatmeal'?  As in that wasn't always the case?" Isaac asked in stunned disbelief and even greater concern than before.  "That doesn't make any sense.  The state sends you guys pretty generous checks on a monthly basis to cover just about all of the food, clothing and utility bills.  We looked into that before we came, and they're sending something like eight grand a month, how is that possible?"

~~~
Joseph put his hands up slightly in a sort of "take it easy" gesture and said "I'm not sure what I expect either, ma'am, I'm just following normal protocol that's in place to prevent people from making excuses in order to tamper with or destroy evidence against themselves in secret.  It's standard procedure, that's all."  As he made his way to the door and opened it to head into the room, he added "And who ever said that, in this fallen world we live in, weapons are vulgar things?  If you want to know what I think, with how many children there are here, there aught to be at least one or maybe two people on the premises at all times who have a firearm and are well-trained in their proper usage and safety, simply for the protection of the children."

~~~
"Guess who?" a familiar voice called from the just-opened personnel door of the FBL sheds as someone stepped inside from the cold and smiled as he looked over the engines.

Connie had been giving Helen a light wash-down simply because she was a bit bored and didn't feel pranky at the moment, but her head whipped around and she grinned as she recognized the tall man with the dark grey hair.  "Inspector Dowden, welcome back!" she said, quickly stowing the long scrubbing broom in the bucket of soapy water next to her and heading over to greet him properly.  "I'm glad you're here already, Helen and I are super eager to get back to work, and the repair work is all ready for your inspection."

Larry smiled and said "Well then what are we standing around here for?" as the pair made their way back over towards Helen's pilot in order to open that up and take a look inside to inspect the repairs.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed May 30, 2018 9:20 am

Duck looked around as he went to his place, taking it and smiling a little at the cabooses they had been given. 

Lilly would check over what she could to be sure they were safe for travel. Always best to double check after all.

~~~
"Nope, there's still good people, though thee were some that were not happy they didn't get anything in there. Best to keep a good eye out for them, just in case." Gus said reasonably. He would help with getting the 'groundhog control' for the farm.
~~~~
"Officer, we never get that much, especially after the taxes and everything for the house and land." Mark said with a shrug. "That's just how it is." 

~~~
She frowned at him and shook her head "They are vulgar to me." She stated and came to her door, looking at him again "Besides that, we cannot afford to pay for training or firearms or to pay for guards to be here all the time."
~~~
"Hello again" Helen said as the inspector came over to her. She was a bit nervous, wanting to be passed this time.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed May 30, 2018 11:44 am

“You folks need anything else before you head out?” Hank asked helpfully as he watched the two locomotives getting hooked up and prepared at each end of the train.

“Thanks for the offer Hank,” Rosie said as she was already releasing the airbrakes on the consist and Corey was releasing the manual brakes so they could get moving.  “But I think we’re good to go here thanks to your help.”

“Oh don’t mention it, happy to be of service,” the little ALCO chuckled.   “We older locos gotta make ourselves stand out if we wanna stick around and stay competitive.  I’ll get the switches aligned for you, hope you have a safe trip home.”

~~~
“Well my Chaplain from back in the Army once taught me about Proverbs 27:17, ‘Iron sharpens iron, just as one man sharpens another.’” Riley said as they got gas, then headed to pick up the solution to the groundhog problem at the farm.  “He always said the faith and attitudes of one person can be used to great effect to sharpen others into a similar fashion if you do it right.”

~~~
“Well nobody has filed any kind of report about that any time in the last few years,” Isaac said, starting to think that a few things weren’t quite adding up just right.  Like there was some big, missing variable in the equation.  “Well what else is there around here on the first floor?”

~~~
Tch, Liberals… Joseph thought to himself upon hearing Lisa's excuses for not having any security or weapons of any sort to potentially defend the children, but he resisted the urge to give her something snark about how 'when every second counts, at best we're still six minutes away.’  When he entered the matron's quarters he was rather blown away by what he saw.  He felt like he’d walked into a four-point-five star hotel room from the hallway of a two-star hotel.  There was soft, plush carpeting whereas the rest of the second floor had been old, bare hardwood floors, and the first floor had been concrete aside from the reception area, from what he’d seen.  There were two large TVs that he could see arranged towards a seating area with two very nice couches, a high-end La-Z-Boy, an antique rocking chair and a very intricate coffee table with a glass tabletop.  There was a large fireplace with a huge bearskin rug in front of it, and a sizable dining table with a very full China cabinet next to it.  There was even a kitchen in this room that was five times better equipped and stocked than the one downstairs for the children.  What stood out the most to Joseph, however, was that this room was enough warmer than the rest of the building to have him almost starting to sweat already, it looked and smelled exponentially cleaner than everything he’d seen so far, and the windows all had very bland blackout curtains which were tied closed over them in order to keep anyone outside the building from seeing what was in this room.  Joseph was silent in confusion and shock at what he was seeing for a long moment, then turned to the matron and calmly asked “Could you please explain to me why your quarters are like this?”

~~~
For about fifteen minutes Mr. Dowden was fussing about at the back of Helen’s boiler inside, carefully and meticulously inspecting and testing the seam between the Hudson's rear boiler bulkhead and the new plate of steel that Scotty had welded onto it to cover and seal off the damage.  Then all of a sudden there was an ecstatic whoop of joy from Connie that echoed from inside Helen's boiler and she practically shot out of the opening in her front, with Larry chuckling as he followed her calmly a moment later.  “I suppose she’s rather excited,” he laughed as he watched the blonde bolt off towards the offices of the shed with a slip of paper in her hand.  “But for your benefit, Miss Helen, I signed off on that repair job and certified you for operation, but since it’s still not a permanent repair, your certification is only valid for the next twelve months and change.  You’re perfectly safe to run for the time being, but on January first of 1972 you will be legally required to be withdrawn from service and disassembled to have your rear boiler bulkhead totally rebuilt, unless that repair work is completed before that, in which case you’ll be fully recertified after that is done and that will be good for two years after that date.  That seem reasonable to you?  I’m certain you’d love getting an overhaul like that anyways.”

~~~
In the barracks Roger would find himself abruptly and rudely awaked by the feeling of somebody repeatedly lumping him over the head with a heavy pillow.  “Come on sleepyhead, get some clothes on!” Connie ordered, hardly able to contain her excitement as she looked ready to start bouncing off the walls like Ashley had been immediately following her infamous “coffee incident” last year.  “Once you’re dressed, take this to Mr. Iverson's office and tell him to find us something to do.  I’m gonna go bolt the front access plate back onto Helen's boiler and then you and me are taking her out for a ride, and I figure we might as well do something productive while we’re at it.”  With that she put Helen's boiler certification papers directly into his hand, slapped him on the cheek a few times to help make CERTAIN he was awake, then a grand total of three seconds later she’d already disappeared from the room.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu May 31, 2018 6:45 pm

"Thanks." Duck said and gave a 'bye' honk of his whistle as they started off. He was glad so many here were being so friendly to them, even though they had had the one unfriendly one. Of well, now they were starting off to head to their lines again.

~~~
"True, he certainly brought out the best in some of those around him, though as often as not he could bring out their worst instead." Gus said then shrugged lightly.
~~~
"Why would anyone file a report?" Mark asked, confused by the way the conversation had turned. "We have more kids than we should cause no one wants to adopt anyone. We all have to age out of the system." He said then headed for the door "We have the classrooms down here and the cafeteria next door."
~~~
"Do you know how much it would cost to get carpeting or clean that carpeting in the entire house, just for the kids to spill on or track mud in on? It's hard enough to keep the hardwood looking presentable through the years. The kids have their own tv in one of the classrooms, though none of them get used much. I keep the extra up here so it won't get broken before it's needed down there. The kids do the cleaning downstairs for the most part, I do my own cleaning up here, they break anything nice I allow down there, so they only keep the stuff that doesn't break down there.  And not that I have to defend myself, but the nice things up here have been bought off estate sales or given through my family as they have died off." She said, going in and looking around then sighing. "Those dishes in the cabinet were my grandmother's, the cabinet is something my mother bought, and sent me when she bought a bigger one for herself." There was a spark of emotion with that, though whether it was real, or even true was hard to tell. It went away quickly enough as she looked to him again "What, is someone going to sue me for being a packrat that keeps the things my family gave me, or what I have bought with my own pay for running this house? That rug there I bought for $5, a steal really, but the young man didn't like it, or anything that 'reeked' of hunting as he put it. In short officer, my quarters are like this because I take care of what I am given or buy instead of breaking anything I come into contact with. Now, can I get dressed or do you have to go through my unmentionables too?"  
~~~
Helen chuckled as she watched the young woman bolt off then looked to the inspector again and smiled happily at him "Yes, that would be good, though I hope we can get some good work in in between now and when they take me apart to fix me up. You are right, that is something I want, if only to last longer once we get the lines here up and running." 
~~~
Roger raised his arms in defense as he tried to wake up and process what the excited Connie was saying before she left him again. "She's passed?" He said before he actually got up to make sure the door was closed so he could get dressed and head for the shed with the certificate in hand, reading it on the way.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:44 am

Hank smiled and honked his horn twice in return to signal to the Bucketniers that their route was clear, which was verified by Rosie's signal changing from red “halt/danger”, to yellow “caution/slow”, then to green “all clear/proceed”.  The F7 gave two quick blasts on her air horn and Duck would hear and feel the brakes fully release on the whole consist.  He’d also hear a cascading series of metal clanking noises steadily making their way back towards him, then he’d be tugged gently forward as Rosie’s movement at the front of the train took up the last of the coupler slack and yanked Duck along with her as they began creeping out of the yards.

~~~
“Well he definitely made sure that he made one last right decision to set his karma positive,” Dirk said with a shrug of his own.  “He made sure to do good by his last two friends, so let’s make sure we follow through and do good by him with the opportunity he gave us.”

~~~
“Because grant money like that coming from the state doesn’t have any taxes on it,” Isaac said.  “And there’s no way the rent on this building is high enough to take almost all of that money every month.  There’s got to be at least one person in that financial chain that’s hiding something big-time.  Whether it’s the landlord, the matron’s accountant, the matron herself, or someone else, I don’t know, but eight thousand dollars a month doesn’t just disappear over and over again.”  Isaac sighed and shook his head as he tried to think through this, following after Mark towards the children’s “classrooms”.

~~~
Joseph listened to the matron’s explanations for how and why her room was so many worlds better than the rest of the house in just about every way, but eventually he sighed and headed towards the door to let her change, saying “I suppose I just find it odd that you would elect to keep all of this lavish, extravagant stuff for yourself with the conditions that the children are living in the way they are.  I can understand keeping the things passed down through family, but if you bought a lot of this with your own money from estate sales or whatever for such low prices, with the finances of the orphanage are as tight as they seem it seems selfish to not resell at least some of those things to try and make a profit, then put that money into the orphanage for the sake of the children.  That’s just my opinion, take it how you will.”  With that he shut the door and stood out in the hallway for a moment, glancing around for Alice as he went to take a look in some of the other rooms nearby.

~~~
“With what I’ve seen you people are like, I’m certain you’ll be put to plenty of use before you need your boiler rebuilt,” Larry chuckled.  “You certainly won’t be bored with how I saw your engineer was acti--…”

“’Scuse me, coming through!” Connie’s voice suddenly said as Larry shuffled aside and the blonde came through with an air ratchet and practically leaped into Helen’s boiler.  Within a minute she was already bolting the front access plate of her boiler back into place, much to the amusement of Mr. Dowden, who simply said “Need I say more?”

~~~
Roger would thankfully find a pot of hot coffee ready in the break room as he made his way through to Mr. Iverson's office.  When the railroad's boss caught sight of Connie's left-seat man he smiled and said “Roger?  You’re sure up early.  What’s that you have there?”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:02 am

Duck waited for all the brakes to unlock then started pushing from his end so they could get moving out and not be a deadweight to Rosie.
~~~
Gus nodded and looked ahead, waiting for them to reach the farm with what they had picked up. 
~~~
Mark shrugged again and showed him the classrooms the kids used everyday after they passed through the lunchroom. "I don't have anything to do with that, so I don't know how much we actually get each month."
~~
Alice was peeking up at him over the stairs, waiting for the matron to go in her room then standing a little taller. The matron's room was on the third floor, the kids and the workers were on the second and she was scared to go up to the third, even with the matron out of sight. It was basically the attic room after all, even with a regular staircase up to it.
~~~
Helen chuckled softly as she watched Connie come flying back in and start putting her back together. "I do see, and thank you." 
~~~
"Connie woke me up, Helen's repairs have been approved for a year's work." Roger said, handing over the paper and smiling. He shook his head a little with a chuckle "She's excited."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:52 am

It wasn’t long before the train had made its way out of the yard and onto the main line again, and they quickly started picking up speed, the whine of Rosie's big turbodiesels gradually rising above the *clickitty-clack* of their wheels over the joints in the rails and the intermittent thumping of a slightly bald spot on a wheel of one of the rearmost boxcars.  “Alright Duck, time to get the lead out,” she chuckled over the intercoms as her throttle was opened up to notch six already.  “Just try and keep up, don’t let me drag you too much.”

~~~
The trio had decided to start with letting Frankie know the somber, but amazing news they had, then to take care of the groundhog den by the house afterwards, especially so they wouldn’t scare the old Fowler nearly as much with the inevitable blast.  “Hey Frankie, you awake bud?” Riley called as they pulled up to the remnants of his shed.  “We’ve got some news that I think you’ll enjoy hearing.”

~~~
Isaac could understand why that was the case, since folks other than management hardly ever really knew about the finances of an organization like this.  “So what sort of things do the kids learn in here?” he asked as he looked around the sea of old desks and chairs, seeming surprised that there was a small TV in here.

~~~
Joseph smiled when he saw Alice there and chuckled a little, making his way over to her and softly saying “Tell me, and I want you to be as perfectly honest as you can, what is it like for you children living here?  What’s it like when there aren’t any people from the outside to watch what the matron is doing?”

~~~
“My pleasure, Empress,” Larry said with a tip of his hat.  “It was a pleasure coming back to see you again.  Have Mr. Iverson give me a phone call when there’s an interesting development, I would enjoy seeing you and the others getting your new colors pretty soon.  From what I’ve heard the young Miss Iverson is quite the artist and she’s come up with a rather stunning design that I would love to see come to life.”

~~~
“Oh really?  She’s been passed already?  That’s fantastic!” Mr. Iverson said excitedly as he took the boiler certification paper, inspected it for a moment, then smiled and carefully filed it into place near Sam and Duck's certifications.  He laughed a bit when Roger mentioned Connie's present demeanor and replied “Yeah, that little Swede is really something else.  I’m assuming that she wants to take Helen out on a run just as soon as I'll let her leave.  Give me just a moment and I’ll find something for you two to get done while you’re out.”  After a moment of shuffling through the papers on his desk he found something he seemed interested in and held it up as he adjusted his desk lamp and his glasses a bit.  “Ahh yes, this is the right Waybill,” he said with a smile.  “Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals just faxed this over about an hour ago.  They’ve ordered a rail delivery of oil so they can start up production again.  Thirty cars, just a hair over a million gallons of high-quality Yukon crude, the train should be ready for pickup in Vancouver by noon.  It’s a long first trip and it’d be pretty heavy for most other engines to take solo, but I have a feeling that’s not going stop Connie and Helen.”  He handed the light yellow industrial product waybill to Roger and said “Here, take this and run it by the girls, see if they feel up to the challenge.  If you three want to take that I can make another call to the UP controllers and arrange your track clearance, or if it’s too rough I can probably call Lena's or Dunk Town, see if they’ve got anything coming in or out.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:11 am

Duck laughed at that and kept pushing from his end. "Yeah, I was just trying not to push you too much, since you're the one that can see where we are going." He teased playfully. This big of a load did need them both to move it as one consist, not that he minded the work in the least.
~~~
Frankie frowned at the voices then smiled as he recognized them. "Hello, yeah, I'm awake now." He said, looking around to try to see them. "You came back."
~~~
"Everything." Mark said with a shrug. "Math, reading, writing, history, geography, science." He gave a short list then looked to the tv and smiled a little "We even have movie nights if there's an appropriate show on for kids and not too much rule breaking to warrant taking the privilege away."
~~~
Alice glanced past him then looked to him again and motioned to the bedrooms on the second floor. "The matron wasn't expecting anyone to visit, so you can see it all yourself." She said and held out a hand for his so she could sow him around. There were two big bedrooms, full of bunk beds for the kids, separated by gender. They did have blankets here, though clearly much washed and mended. Each child had one drawer for the clothes they had, just enough to fit in a single small suitcase in case they ever were adopted out, though no sign of a suitcase in the rooms. Next to the bedrooms were the bathrooms, designed more like locker room showers than a house bathroom, again one for boys and one for girls. At the end of the hall was a playroom, though it was more to keep the youngest kids occupied rather than give the older ones something to play with. There were some newer toys, though most looked to have been used for a very long time. None were broken, she knew better than to keep broken toys that could cause a hospital visit. Each of these rooms had curtains that would show sun-fade in the light. Alice showed him the worker's rooms, mostly a single occupant per room, though one room had two beds. The last room she showed him on that floor would be called a janitor's closet in any other building, though here there were enough supplies that each of the kids could be cleaning something all at the same time. It was only in that room that she dared to speak above a whisper. "This is the 'time out' room too, when we are 'bad' we have to stay in here, even overnight." She said, going to some boxes to show a pallet on the floor behind them. "One kid was able to sneak a flashlight in here, though we don't dare use it much. Still, it's better than the dark." This room didn't have a window, though it should have because of the chemicals kept in here. "Outsiders never see this part, and they can't hear if you are stuck in here. All the kids hate it here, but the oldest ones have 'accepted their fate' as they put it. Now they work for the matron and have rooms to themselves mostly. We don't have enough coats for everyone, we usually have gruel for most meals. They were able to go shopping last week, so we have oatmeal for breakfast this week. My friend from outside was able to give me some fruit and other food to share with the kids, but that's already gone. It was nice to remember what real fresh milk tasted like. We have to scrub this place everyday to keep it from 'getting filthy' even when it's clean. If a kid has toys from their home before they lost their parents, it's taken away and either burnt or sold. She says its because she doesn't want jealously among us, but I think it's just because she doesn't want us to remember what it was like with parents instead of her. There's no art class, or singing or music allowed in here. They tell us everyday that nobody wants us or would care about us if anything happened to us in here. Cat cares, but she almost got sent here too. I wish I had run away like she did when her parents died. I didn't know back then that I would end up in a place like this." 
~~~
Helen chuckled softly at his words "I will let them know, I would like to see the new designs too." She said cheerfully. 
~~~
Roger took the paper and nodded "I will run this by them, once I get some coffee in me." He joked and tipped his hat. "Helen and Connie will probably want to give it a try." They probably would even if they had to end up sitting on a siderail and taking a breather or getting a little help to move it after a while.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:58 am

Rosie laughed and her motors could be heard reving up even higher as she had Lilly push her all the way up to notch eight, full power.  Duck would quickly feel the little bit of slack he had built up by pushing at the rear be yanked taut as all of Rosie's three thousand horses were turned loose, and they quickly broke fifty miles per hour and were still accelerating.  “Just try and keep up, Peking Duck,” she laughed as they drove, the F7 loving the feeling of the wind in her face and the exertion of pulling a heavy consist at speed again.

~~~
“Yeah, we did,” Dirk said with a smile as he shut Riley’s engine off and led Gus around to the spot where he had managed to enter the she’d before.  “Gus, I think you deserve to do the honors.”

~~~
“That seems like an awful lot of schoolwork to deal with with so many kids in such a tiny room, but I’ve seen things somewhat like this work before with homeschooling,” Isaac said, still a bit skeptical but willing to give the orphanage the benefit of the doubt on this.  “What else is here on the first floor?”

~~~
Joseph followed Alice with a skeptical attitude at first, but that rapidly and completely made a one-eighty turn into frustration and deep disappointment, starting after he’d seen the bedrooms and bathrooms (though barracks might have actually been more accurate) and the pitiful “playroom”.  His attitude only became worse when he was shown the workers rooms and the cleaning closet/”time out” room, and listened to Alice’s explanation about everything that normally went on here.  “Alice, this is…” he started to say, sighing heavily as he ran his fingers through his hair thoughtfully.  “If what you are saying is true, I honestly have no words to describe how much I detest the matron here for what she has done.  I think I will have to privately interview some of the other children to verify what you’re saying, and to comply with our own rules about investigating and filing charges, but I’m already pretty well convinced that she has been conducting just about the most loathsome and unethical behavior I’ve seen in my life, especially towards children like yourself who have already lost everything.”

~~~
“I look forward to it, Helen, I’ll see you then,” Larry said with a smile as he waved, then headed back out towards where he had parked his car.

Connie would already be driving in the last few bolts in Helen's boiler by the time Roger would be coming out into the workshed area to tell her and Helen about what Mr. Iverson had said.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:02 pm

Duck chuckled and got up to speed again, giving a little slack to the end of the line. She certainly had some speed when she wanted to, even loaded down like this. 
~~~
Gus nodded and went in to tell Frankie the news. The old engine was at first dumbfounded then let out a whoop that could probably be heard from the house. He was going to have a job and get out of this old barn.
~~~
"It's based off the old schoolrooms of the west, at least that's what we were told. Even if it isn't, it's a system that has worked for us." Mark said with a shrug. "The other classrooms, the office and the waiting room. These are the rooms the general public gets to see, or are supposed to see when they come to adopt a child, though no one ever does."
~~~
Alice nodded then dipped her head "I can tell you who else would speak the truth to you, if you want." She offered quietly. 
~~~
"Bye for now" Helen said cheerfully then looked to Roger as he walked in, sipping a cup of coffee as he walked over to explain the job offered to them, if they wanted to try it.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:03 am

It wasn’t long before the pull-and-push merchandise/relief train was pounding along at a steady sixty-five miles per hour and hitting nothing but green signals, though that was less than shocking considering they were on a relatively low-traffic piece of the UP line at the moment.

~~~
Dirk chuckled at Frankie’s shout of joy and patted the old Fowler's side a bit in congratulations.  “Once we head back to Fort Fairfax and tell the boss, I’m sure it won’t be long before we get you dug out of what’s left of this shed and towed back to your new home.  Then it’ll be pretty simple to get you fixed up and back to work again.  You gonna be satisfied with local freight and possibly some yard work?  There’s some industrial trackage in Fort Fairfax and Simonville that has curves too tight for most of our other engines, but your wheelbases are so short that you’d be very well-suited for those tight corners.”

~~~
Isaac looked around carefully as he was shown around the rest of the ground floor rooms of the orphanage.  “Seems like there’s a Stark difference in the quality of the rooms the public usually would see and the rooms that are kept private to everyone but the kids and staff here.  That seems a bit dishonest and not too promising for the children to me…”

~~~
Joseph simply nodded in understanding and agreement to Alice’s offer, knowing it would help to talk to kids who weren’t too scared of retribution to be honest and truthful about what happened here.

~~~
Connie began listening to Roger only once she had totally finished closing up Helen's boiler and securing her pilot again.  When Roger was finished she was grinning and said “Oh hell yeah, that sounds great!  What do you think Helen?  You wanna head back up to Vancouver again for old times sake?”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next