The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It's the year 1970, and the American railroad industry is modernizing at an incredible pace.  Steam locomotives as a species are being killed off in preference of more reliable and efficient diesel-electric locomotives.  Thousands of the old iron giants are being dragged off to scrap yards and smelting plants in long, ominous funeral trains, their eyes wide and pleading for help that will never come to any human they pass by on their way to their inevitable deaths.  To their old crews, these locos are family, but to the industry, they're now a liability, worth nothing more than their weight in scrap steel, at a rate of about forty seven dollars per metric ton.

In northern Washington State, trouble is brewing in the small railroad city of Fort Fairfax.  The local railroad company has been run out of business by the mega-tycoon that is the Union Pacific.  With the rail line shut down and deteriorating from years of disuse, the only way in and out of the valley was via the main 'highway', Route Seven, but on December 3rd, 1970, heavy snow and ice caused a rock face in the mountains to collapse, completely burying three miles of Route Seven under millions of tons of granite boulders, snow, and ice near the town of Saint Josef.  Luckily only ten people were killed, but the road was rendered completely impassable, practically cutting off the entire valley of Bucket Falls from the outside world.  (There are other roads out of the valley, but Route Seven was the only one that was remotely safe in winter conditions, and the only route capable of supporting large trucks in any weather)  The only hope for Fort Fairfax, as well as the neighboring towns of Thomas Canyon, Josha's Cradle, Simonville, and Dunk Town, and the hamlet of Elena Junction, was reopening the old railroad.  The two main industries in the canyon, Dyken's Coal Mine and the Lena's Mineral Mining Company, were among the first to get onboard the bandwagon of reopening the line, followed closely by the Dunk Town Sawmill and Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals.  The companies could all theoretically survive through the winter by temporarily shutting down their operations to save capital, then reopening after the spring thaw would allow for Route Seven to be cleared and rebuilt, but in a rare stroke of plain humanity all four of the company CEOs decided that the railroad reopening would not only be good news for all of them, but more importantly, would be good news for all the people living in the valley.  With the support from the local industries and the residents of the valley, a group of citizens from Fort Fairfax formed the Full Bucket Line Preservation Society, which soon enough became the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  The initial investments from the industrial companies provided the FBLRR with most of the initial capital they needed to get most of the line repaired to the point of being safely usable, but that still left them with a rather serious problem.

What the hell good is a railroad with no locomotives and no rolling stock?

When the line was first shut down, the Union Pacific bought up everything worth recovering at the bankruptcy auction, which included all the locomotives and nearly all of the rolling stock.  There were a few cars left behind scattered around the line, but all needed serious work if they were even salvageable at all, and even all of them put together weren't going to be enough to run the railroad with.  Luckily most of the old railroad's employees were local residents, so there was no shortage of qualified workers, but the company was quickly running out of cash, and they still didn't even have any locomotives.

And so the search began for the trains that could help to save the valley of Bucket Falls.  For the size of the line they would be trying to run, starting off they would need at least one or two small locomotives for shunting work and pulling maintenance trains (probably small steam tank engines or diesel switchers), two or three mid-sized locos for general freight traffic and short, local passenger trains, and one large, powerful main-line locomotive for bringing the big freight trains in and out of the valley, as well as pulling the fast passenger services.  It's a tall order, but hopefully the folks at the FBLRR can find some of what they need without breaking the bank.

And hopefully the engines themselves will be willing to cooperate after being neglected and cast aside for so long.

Its the nature of time that the old ways must give in
Its the nature of time that the new ways come in sin
When the new meets the old it always ends the ancient ways
But as history told, the old ways go out in a blaze

~~~~~

Okay, so if you can't tell, this is a world where many of the vehicles that humans build and use are sentient beings, sort of like in "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "Cars" (if Cars had humans).  They have a fair bit of control over themselves, but still need human crew to fully operate most of the time.  They do have faces, but not Thomas-style faces where it covers most of the front of their body.  They're much less intrusive, being just eyes and a mouth somewhere that makes sense on the front of their body, like this:
As sentient beings, they've all got their own personalities and feelings, most have names, they can feel pain and other physical sensations with surprising sensitivity.  Their bodies are a bit flexible, but not quite to the extent of the characters in "Cars".  When a locomotive and its crew are familiar with one another and have formed a tight bond, one can expect to see significantly better physical performance out of both.  The mental health of a sentient vehicle has a significant and direct impact on their physical capabilities, meaning a happy, satisfied train with a good crew that they're close to will tend to perform significantly better than their design specifications say they should be able to, while a depressed or angry locomotive or one with a crew that they're always at odds with will have substantially worse general performance, or may even straight-up refuse to work at all.

Please keep in mind for the vehicles that most of what the FBLRR is going to be using/getting their hands on is going to be old, outdated, and generally unwanted equipment.  Very little, if anything, is going to be new or modern (for the present time period of 1970) so try to keep to trains that were built between the 1940s and the early '60s, or were being retired from service in 1966 at the latest.  Trucks could probably be a bit newer, like '68 or '69 (giggity), but toss in some older ones as well for added historical nostalgia stuff.

Character Forms:

Human:

Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Personality:
Relevant skills:
Recommended/Desired/Current job:
Other:

Trains:

Name: (If they were ever given one, or can remember their name)
Class: (The exact type of train they were.  Please be specific.  If you have an idea about what you want from the character, do some searching online to find something that might match what you want)
Personality:
Picture (Optional):
Other:

Trucks:

Name: (Again, if they ever got one)
Personality:
Picture: (Optional)
Other:

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Wed May 23, 2018 1:17 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Minor gramatical revisions, added a short bit of symbolic poetry)
Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Re: The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:33 pm

“Alright, yeah, I totally understand that, maybe you can head home with Connie for toniiiii…wheeeere'dshego?...” Ben said, drawing out the last syllable of what he was going to say when he looked up and became confused as to how Connie had seemingly vanished so quickly.

“Ohh, yeah yeah, of course,” Dirk said in understanding.  “I’d be more than happy to drive you guys home, if you’d like.”

Connie glanced back abruptly at Roger’s voice, then dipped her head and sighed.  “Yeah, I suppose that’d be nice, thanks,” she said, though she seemed disconnected and somewhat absent.  “I forgot you still had a car, actually.”

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:20 pm

Cat blinked and moved away a little to look around then pointed "She's at the door with Roger." She said quietly. She moved back a little to lean against Rosie so she could put her shoes back on and fold her blankets to be ready to go wherever she was going to go.

Lilly moved back from Dirk a little and looked to Nathan then smiled to him "I would like that." She said agreeably. She certainly didn't mind spending more time with him.

Roger smiled and held out a hand to her. He had noticed her distraction and wasn't quite sure what to make of it. "I have to play the knight in shining armor sometimes, else that armor will start to rust." He joked, wanting her to smile, even just a little. "I will take you wherever you want to go."

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)
Gold Pieces: 15 g 42 s 86 c

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:23 am

“Oh wow, really?” Ben said, peeking around the front of the line of locomotives to look in that direction, then chuckling a bit.  “Wow, those two really move fast when you’re not looking at them.  I’m gonna go make sure they don’t leave without you, just get yourself ready and catch-up when you can.”

Dirk sighed happily and released Lilly and Nathan from the hug, but only in order to make his way over to Skylar with the pair and open the quiet truck's passenger door for the two to climb inside.

Connie looked at Roger’s extended hand and couldn’t help but chuckle as she gently grasped it in her own.  “Yeah, I suppose I could use one of you right about now, thank you,” she said as they both headed outside into the still, frosty night air.  “I just want to go home for now, if that’s alright.”

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
I AM THE SALMON MODERATOR
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:49 pm

Cat nodded and focused on getting her things together so they could go.

Lilly smiled at him and got Nathan to go to the truck and get in with them so they could go home and get some rest. She was glad to have Dirk there for bother her and Nathan after this day's events.

Roger smiled and started walking with her, only to stop and look at Ben when he caught up to them. "Hey Ben"

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:11 am

Once Lilly and Nathan had climbed inside Sky's cab, Dirk went around and got into her driver's seat and started her up, gently pulling past the other three adults and out into the street and giving a short wave goodbye as they passed.

~~~
"Hey guys, Cat wanted to know if she could maybe come stay with Ashley at Connie's place tonight," Ben asked simply, noting that the blonde didn't seem to be too much in the mood for talking.

"Oh, yeah, I'm sure Ash would be fine with that," Connie replied flatly.  "Sure, she can come stay with me for now."

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:54 am

Lilly waved to the others then sighed and leaned back against the seat, getting comfortable for the trip back to the house. 

~~
Cat waved to Sky and the people in her then headed to catch up to Connie and the others. When she caught up to them she gave them a small smile in greeting. 

Roger nodded and looked to Cat as she came to catch up to them. He offered to carry the blanket, but Cat didn't want to let go of it, so she simply walked beside him. "Let's get you two home so you can rest." He said, looking back to Connie again.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:04 am

The rest of the trip back to Lilly's home was uneventful, almost peaceful even, up until the slight jolt that came from Sky's wheels bouncing through the shallow drainage gutter at the bottom of driveway.  “Would you like me to walk you in to the door, M'Lady?” Dirk asked, putting on a show of slightly goofy courtship to try and keep Lilly and Nathan’s minds off the events of the past night.

~~~
Connie simply nodded her silent agreement at what Roger said, waving goodnight to Ben and Riley when the pair eventually drove past them after shutting out the lights in the workshop.
There was a long, silent, uncomfortable pause in the trio's interactions until eventually Connie sighed and said “You ever looked somebody dead in the eyes, like really stared deeply, almost into their soul, just before you consciously decide to kill them and immediately follow through with that decision?...” she asked without any emotion in her voice, her normally vibrant violet eyes blankly staring forwards into space.  “Because tonight marks my second time doing exactly that, and its really not fun… at first you think and you tell yourself that you can forget the details of the event and move on… but its been years since the first time and I still see his face sometimes when I close my eyes… I’m already starting to see Paul’s face too…”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:13 pm

Lilly laughed softly and smiled at Dirk then checked to see if Nathan was asleep or awake. "I may need your muscles to get him inside and to bed." She would say if he was still asleep.

~~
Roger shook his head a little and squeezed her hand. "No, I have never been in that situation, but I don't think it would be something you can just 'get over' easily. A choice like that would leave an impact, no matter the circumstances, at least if you have empathy like you and most other people do. The only thing you can do when you see their faces is forgive yourself, because you were left without a choice."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed May 02, 2018 2:26 pm

Dirk looked back at the snoozing pre-teen and chuckled softly as he pulled Sky up into the garage and shut her engine off, then got out and shut the garage door as quietly as he could manage.  He then circled around to Sky's passenger side to scoop Nathan up gently in his arms and lift him out of their truck's cab, whispering to Lilly "Just lead the way to wherever you think it'd be best for him to sleep here, and if your father is still awake be sure to tell him to keep his voice down and not wake Nate here."

~~~
Connie looked over towards Roger as he spoke, her eyes initially not focused on him at all but rather looking right through him before they shifted to actually look at him.  "Yeah, I suppose you're right about that," she eventually sighed as she dipped her head low towards the snowy ground.  "I guess I just can't help but wish they'd have left other choices open for me to use.  Since I can't get forgiveness from Paul or the other one, I suppose forgiving myself is the best place to start."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed May 02, 2018 8:22 pm

Lilly nodded and got out, closing the truck's doors then going to open the houdpse door for him. She waved to her father or when she went in then held a finger up to her lips to tell him to be quiet. She led the way to the room Nathan would use and pulled back the covers on the bed so he could be put in it.

~~~
Roger shook his head and eased closer to give her a light hug if she allowed it. "Even if they had lived, all you can really do is forgive yourself. You don't deserve to feel bad for what you were forced to do to protect yourself. Their blood is on their hands, not yours."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 am

Mr. Iverson appeared to have been waiting for Lilly to come home, but had apparently (and understandably, given the time) fallen asleep in his rocking chair before the trio had arrived and was snoring lightly as Dirk and Lilly crept through the family room and upstairs to the spare bedroom.

Dirk gently laid Nathan down in the bed after Lilly had moved the covers for him, then carefully removed the boy's shoes and set them on the floor by the door.

~~~
Connie sighed, but her frown faded a bit and she said “Yeah, I suppose you’re right Roger, thank you.  I’ll try to keep that in mind from now on whenever I have an incident seeing one of them pop up in my mind again.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun May 06, 2018 3:00 pm

Lilly covered Nathan and looked to Dirk with a smile. She was glad he had come with them. She went out of the room to wake her father, since he didn't look comfortable in the chair like that. "Hey dad, we're home safe. You can go to bed now." She said gently when he opened his eyes.

~~
"I hope they fade away for you." Roger said sincerely. He didn't like seeing her hurt, even if the hurt was emotional and not physical.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu May 10, 2018 11:12 am

Lilly’s father woke with a slight start when he felt his daughter's soft nudge on his shoulder and heard her voice.  Though he didn’t seem to get much calmer when he fully recognized the situation, he did at least appear to have gone from being worked up from straight-up surprise to being worked up with relief at seeing her here at home with him and apparently unharmed.  “Oh my God, Lillianne,” he said, using her full first name out loud for the first time since she had graduated high school.  He practically jumped up out of his chair and wrapped his arms tightly around her as he added “You have no idea how happy I am to see you here and safe.  I would have been down at the sheds to meet you there, but with how exhausted I am from work today even the anxiety and adrenaline couldn’t manage to get me there.  I’m so sorry you, Connie, and the children had to go through such a horrible ordeal as what I was told about.”

~~~
“Yeah, thank you Roger…” Connie said, only gradually (almost reluctantly, it seemed) pulling back out of the hug he had offered her.  “I sure hope that they start to fade away as well, believe it or not,” she said, forcing herself to chuckle slightly to try and brighten her own mood a bit.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu May 10, 2018 6:55 pm

Lilly smiled and hugged him in return. "I'm fine, I was with Rosie during the scuffle. Connie and the kids were in the middle of it though. He may have nightmares." She added, looking up then back to him "Dirk drove us home." 

~~~
Roger gave her a smile then looked over to the quiet Cat, who was simply watching the pair. "Let's get you two home and warmed up, alright."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun May 13, 2018 10:59 am

“Well, thank you for that, Dirk,” Mr. Iverson said respectfully.  “That was very thoughtful of you.”

“It was nothing really, sir,” Dirk replied with a shrug and a slight smile. “I never thought twice about it, I just knew that Lilly and Nathan could use some companionship on the way home other than Sky.”

~~~
“Yeah, I agree…” Connie sighed softly, looking forward again as the trio neared her home at last.

(You wanna timeskip to the next morning?)

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun May 13, 2018 2:23 pm

Lilly smiled at Dirk then dipped her head shyly. She had liked having him be there for her. 

~~~
Roger smiled softly and walked them to the door. "I hope you two have a good night." He said gently.

(Yeah)

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Sunday Dec. 13th, 1970

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed May 16, 2018 9:00 pm

Dirk rather enjoyed being there for Lilly as well, though her father was so protective and possessive of her that it tended to be overly difficult.

~~~
"Thanks, you too Roger..." Connie said, dipping her head a bit in thought as she and Cat headed inside her little house to prepare for a rather overdue night of attempting to rest.

-----

Two days later, in the early morning hours of Sunday December 13th 1970, a fair number of events were being, or had already been, set in motion.

Firstly, Mr. Iverson was making his way into the maintenance bays-turned-temporary-sheds at about 6:30 AM along with Lilly, Nathan, Jim, Ashley, Dirk and Gus in tow.  "Alright you lot, go wake up your trains," he said with a smile.  "We've got work to do, our first real contract.  I'll explain more once we've got the engines awake.  Also, the boiler inspector is coming back today to have another look at Helen and hopefully to recertify her for service, so hopefully we'll have three locomotives in operation by the time lunch rolls around."

As his boss said this, Jim was already making his way over towards where Duck was sleeping to wake him and tell him the news.

Dirk and Gus were in the sheds for a different, more somber reason, however.  They were there to get Riley and head back up to Newton for Eric's funeral service, burial, and the reading of his last will and testament later that morning.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed May 16, 2018 11:47 pm

Lilly went over to help wake the trains up from their sleep. She started with Rosie, waking her then Helen so they could be ready for the inspector later in the day. 

Gus had gotten a letter that he had to be there for the reading of the will, though he wasn't sure why. He rather thought Eric had forgotten about him. Not that he thought he would get much of anything, but at least he would have a chance to know who else was getting something from all of this.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun May 20, 2018 9:49 am

Rosie snorted a bit as she was interrupted in the middle of a snore by Lilly’s firm slaps on her side, and her eyes gradually blinked open as she glanced aimlessly around the shed.  Her mouth hung open in a massive yawn and she stretched her frame and her bogies out a bit before speaking.  “Ohh God... Been a looong time since Ah got woken up this early… Mornin' Lil', what can Ah help ya with?” she said sleepily, watching Connie as she headed over to Helen's side.

“Come on Empress, rise and shine,” the cheeky Swedish bombshell said, jumping up onto the Hudson's forward running board to give her a few light slaps on the cheek.  “Today’s the day, Mr. Dowden is coming back in a few hours to give you your recheck and see if Scotty's welding is up to snuff.  Hopefully he did a good enough job that we can get you rolling sometime today.”

Jim was about to start speaking to the dark green Pannier Tank engine when Ashley bolted past him and, in a flash, was hanging upside-down by her legs from Duck's funnel once again as his new permenant engineer couldn’t help but laugh.  “Hey Duck, wake up and smell the axle grease bud!” the bubby ginger said, her voice's tone soft but the volume loud.  “The Boss has a real job for us today, but you gotta be awake if we’re gonna get anywhere!”

Dirk had been about half a minute ahead of Gus for getting into the building, and was already working on getting Riley up and awake and explaining to the truck what the three of them would be heading to do today.  “Okay… yeah, that’s definitely important… but why does it have to be so early?...”

“Beats me,” Dirk shrugged in ignorance.  “But the service is gonna be at noon for some ridiculous reason, so if we want to get there in time enough to be decent and courteous, we're gonna need to leave here within the hour, but going sooner and keeping that time buffer would be preferable.”

“Yeah, true… I guess I just wanna know who the heck thought having a funeral service at noon on a Sunday was a reasonable idea.  Whatever, I suppose I still got more restful sleep than I ever could have asked for over any two or three nights in the Army.  You two look pretty sharp, by the way, I like it.”

“Heh, thanks Riles,” Dirk said, though he was only really dressed up in a relative sense.  He was wearing a light blue, button-up, collared shirt tucked into a pair of dark dress jeans, though he still had a insulating layer on underneath of that for warmth, as well as his (currently unzipped and open) jacket on top.  “Shame we can’t get you fixed up and looking just as nice without a semi-herculean effort.”

“It’s alright, I don’t mind looking rough, but still thanks.  Haven’t really been able to care much about when others think I look bad in a long time, but I appreciate you caring.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun May 20, 2018 12:49 pm

Lilly chuckled softly and patted Rosie's side gently "We have work to do today, figured you may want to be up for that. The others are getting their inspections and could be out on the tracks again too." 

Helen blinked her eyes open then stretched some though she was careful not to knock Connie off. "You think I will be able to run today?" She had been trying not to get her hopes too high after the last inspection. 

Duck snorted awake then had to cross his eyes to look at Ashley hanging off his funnel again. "You sure that funnel's on me tight enough for you to be hanging off it so often?" He asked, partially teasing though he was a little concerned for her safety too. Not that there had been any concern over his funnel being on correctly before. 

Gus smiled at the part of the conversation he overheard as he walked over to Dirk and Riley. "Thanks, I think we look well enough to go. As for the timing, knowing him, he probably put that in his will." He said with a sad smile.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 Today at 9:57 am

“Oh really, another real job?  That’s wonderful,” Rosie said, an eager smile growing across her face as she stretched herself out a bit more to ease away the stiffness that had grown while she slept.

Connie smiled and chuckled as she hopped down from Helen's running board and took two steps away from her once she hit the floor, giving the old Royal Hudson ample space to stretch out as much as she wanted.  “I’m pretty confident, if you ask me.  From what I’ve seen Scotty's just as good with a torch as me and Mr. Dowden had said that the rusty, corroded spot we reinforced was the only issue he could find with your boiler.  Since we’ve already made everything else we can about you ready to roll, if he signs off on that repair we should be able to get you steamed up and working again today.”

Ashley just giggled, mostly at the goofy sight of Duck being so severely cross-eyed, and said “You worry too much Duck, I’ll be just fine!  Besides, this is hardly the most dangerous thing I do on a regular basis!”  She put her arms out and let herself drop into a handstand which she allowed to immediately topple over backwards, ending with her sitting upright on Duck's front running board and grinning back at him as Mr. Iverson began speaking.

“Alright, now that everyone relevant is here and alert,” he said, his voice loud and authoritative, but also clearly happy and excited.  “We’re going to be running our first real contract this morning, or rather our first set of contracts.  Any of you remember that merchandise train I mentioned a few days ago that the towns around here had gotten together and ordered, but the UP wouldn’t spare a locomotive to bring it all the way out here and to each of the different locations?  Well it’s still waiting up in Lake Hurst, and I expect it to be getting split up and distributed by early afternoon today.  Rosie, Duck, since it’s going to be a heavy one, and forty seven cars is fairly long as well, I’ve decided that you’ll both be heading all the way up to Lake Hurst to collect the train and bring it back here together.  Now most of the cars are destined for either here or Simonville, I believe it'll be around thirty between the two cities, the rest are for the other four towns.  Because of this, you two will be bringing the train back through Josef’s Cradle and drop off their order there, then go to Simonville and split up the train there rather than split it at Josef’s.  Duck can take the cars due for Elena's Junction and Dunk Town, and Rosie can bring the rest of the train back here and to Thomas Canyon.  Now I know that you’ll be running on Union Pacific tracks for a big piece of the trip, but I’ve already taken care of your authorization and your drivers have the papers with them as well.  You’ll be bottom priority compared to almost all the UP traffic, but if anyone stops you guys and tries to harass you for being on their line, you’ve got the paperwork to tell them to can it.  Questions?”

Rosie smiled a bit at hearing everything Mr. Iverson had said and replied “I can think of just two things to ask, sir.  First thing, Duck, you want to drive there independent of me, couple up behind me and steam as I drive as well, or you just wanna hitch a ride with me and coast the whole way there to save your breath for the return trip?  The second thing is just this: how soon can we leave, sir?”

The old man laughed a bit and said “Just as soon as the both of you and your crews are ready to leave, in whatever form Duck decides he would prefer.”  He turned and looked over at the little British tank engine and smoothly raised one eyebrow, his look silently asking the same question Rosie had asked first.

“Ahh, yeah, that would make a lot of sense,” Riley said as Dirk clambered up into his driver’s seat and shut the door behind him.  The old REO's big multifuel engine turned over relatively smoothly and quietly, at least by his standards, and he was soon idling comfortably as he opened his passenger door for Gus.  “Good old faithful, God-fearin' American like me, bless him.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Today at 11:15 am

Helen stretched herself some more and listened to Mr Iverson talk about the job before she looked back to Connie. "I hope it holds, I would like to have a job again." 

Duck chuckled softly, watching her then listening to the plan. He looked over to Rosie at her question then smiled again "I think coupling up and steaming there is probably best, that way we'll both be warmed up before either of us has to pull any weight." He replied 

"That he was" Gus agreed as he got in and settled for the ride out. "He loved this country and did his best to be sure everyone that worked around him would love it too."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 Today at 1:30 pm

"So would I, your majesty," Connie said, only barely suppressing a laugh as she made an overly grandiose bow towards Helen.

"Alright, sounds fine to me," Rosie said, gesturing with her eyes and body for Lilly to follow an eager Nathan up into her cab so they could get started on this journey.  "Let's get this show rolling then, shall we?"

"Alright Ashley, you heard Duck," Jim said to Ashley as the two of them climbed into the tank engine's cab.

"Righto, one head of steam coming up!" she said cheerfully as she heaved the big coal shovel around until she'd built up a proper bed of coal to light, then began monitoring and feeding Duck's fire and boiler as they gradually built up his steam pressure.

"Sounds like the kind of guy I'd have loved to get to know," Riley said, reverently as he gave a short goodbye honk to the others and headed out the door that Connie had opened for them, and would then close behind them.

~~~
Meanwhile, at the Poplar Street "Orphanage", it was well before the normal times when the building would be open to visitors, but there was still a very firm and insistent THUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMP at the front door.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21