The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The year is 1970.  The American railroad industry is modernizing at an incredible pace, and steam locomotives as a species are being killed off in preference of more reliable and efficient diesel-electric locomotives.  Thousands of the old iron giants are being dragged off to scrap yards and smelting plants in long, ominous funeral trains, their eyes wide and pleading for help that will never come to any human they pass by on their way to their inevitable deaths.  To their old crews, these locos are family, but to the industry, they're now a liability, worth nothing more than their weight in scrap steel, at a rate of about forty seven dollars per metric ton.

In northern Washington State, trouble is brewing in the small railroad city of Fort Fairfax.  The local railroad company has been run out of business by the mega-tycoon that is the Union Pacific.  With the rail line shut down and deteriorating from years of disuse, the only way in and out of the valley was via the main 'highway', Route Seven, but on December 8th, 1970, heavy snow and ice caused a rock face in the mountains to collapse, completely burying three miles of Route Seven under millions of tons of granite boulders, snow, and ice near the town of Saint Josef.  Luckily only ten people were killed, but the road was rendered completely impassable, practically cutting off the entire valley of Bucket Falls from the outside world.  (There are other roads out of the valley, but Route Seven was the only one that was remotely safe in winter conditions, and the only route capable of supporting large trucks in any weather)  The only hope for Fort Fairfax, as well as the neighboring towns of Thomas Canyon, Josha's Cradle, Simonville, and Dunk Town, and the hamlet of Elena Junction, was reopening the old railroad.  The two main industries in the canyon, Dyken's Coal Mine and the Lena's Mineral Mining Company, were among the first to get onboard the bandwagon of reopening the line, followed closely by the Dunk Town Sawmill and Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals.  The companies could all theoretically survive through the winter by temporarily shutting down their operations to save capital, then reopening after the spring thaw would allow for Route Seven to be cleared and rebuilt, but in a rare stroke of plain humanity all four of the company CEOs decided that the railroad reopening would not only be good news for all of them, but more importantly, would be good news for all the people living in the valley.  With the support from the local industries and the residents of the valley, a group of citizens from Fort Fairfax formed the Full Bucket Line Preservation Society, which soon enough became the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  The initial investments from the industrial companies provided the FBLRR with most of the initial capital they needed to get most of the line repaired to the point of being safely usable, but that still left them with a rather serious problem.

What the hell good is a railroad with no locomotives and no rolling stock?

When the line was first shut down, the Union Pacific bought up everything worth recovering at the bankruptcy auction, which included all the locomotives and nearly all of the rolling stock.  There were a few cars left behind scattered around the line, but all needed serious work if they were even salvageable at all, and even all of them put together weren't going to be enough to run the railroad with.  Luckily most of the old railroad's employees were local residents, so there was no shortage of qualified workers, but the company was quickly running out of cash, and they still didn't even have any locomotives.

And so the search began for the trains that could help to save the valley of Bucket Falls.  For the size of the line they would be trying to run, starting off they would need at least one or two small locomotives for shunting work and pulling maintenance trains (probably small steam tank engines or diesel switchers), two or three mid-sized locos for general freight traffic and short, local passenger trains, and one large, powerful main-line locomotive for bringing the big freight trains in and out of the valley, as well as pulling the fast passenger services.  It's a tall order, but hopefully the folks at the FBLRR can find some of what they need without breaking the bank.

And hopefully the engines themselves will be willing to cooperate after being neglected and cast aside for so long.

~~~~~

Okay, so if you can't tell, this is a world where many of the vehicles that humans build and use are sentient beings, sort of like in "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "Cars" (if Cars had humans).  They have a fair bit of control over themselves, but still need human crew to fully operate most of the time.  They do have faces, but not Thomas-style faces where it covers most of the front of their body.  They're much less intrusive, being just eyes and a mouth somewhere that makes sense on the front of their body, like this:
As sentient beings, they've all got their own personalities and feelings, most have names, they can feel pain and other physical sensations with surprising sensitivity.  Their bodies are a bit flexible, but not quite to the extent of the characters in "Cars".  When a locomotive and its crew are familiar with one another and have formed a tight bond, one can expect to see significantly better physical performance out of both.  The mental health of a sentient vehicle has a significant and direct impact on their physical capabilities, meaning a happy, satisfied train with a good crew that they're close to will tend to perform significantly better than their design specifications say they should be able to, while a depressed or angry locomotive or one with a crew that they're always at odds with will have substantially worse general performance, or may even straight-up refuse to work at all.

Please keep in mind for the vehicles that most of what the FBLRR is going to be using/getting their hands on is going to be old, outdated, and generally unwanted equipment.  Very little, if anything, is going to be new or modern (for the present time period of 1970) so try to keep to trains that were built between the 1940s and the early '60s, or were being retired from service in 1966 at the latest.  Trucks could probably be a bit newer, like '68 or '69 (giggity), but toss in some older ones as well for added historical nostalgia stuff.

Character Forms:

Human:

Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Personality:
Relevant skills:
Recommended/Desired/Current job:
Other:

Trains:

Name: (If they were ever given one, or can remember their name)
Class: (The exact type of train they were.  Please be specific.  If you have an idea about what you want from the character, do some searching online to find something that might match what you want)
Personality:
Picture (Optional):
Other:

Trucks:

Name: (Again, if they ever got one)
Personality:
Picture: (Optional)
Other:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Re: The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:39 pm

"Yep, you got that right," Dirk said with a smile as Ben came back in with Connie and Roger in tow.

"Oh, so Gus," Ben said as they all started heading outside into the yard.  "Now that everything's finalized and paid for, isn't there something you'd like to ask Lilly?"

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:16 pm

Roger smiled at the others then headed to help Dirk start greasing up the axles and wheels to get them ready for travel.

"Um, yeah" Gus looked over to the female then down, rubbing his neck. Seems when he had to talk to a human female, he got nervous. "I was wondering if you would want to take on another engineer?"

Lilly smiled then chuckled softly "Actually that's why we asked you to wait so we could talk you into working for us"

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)
Gold Pieces: 15 g 42 s 86 c

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:36 pm

"Hey, we can always use new meat," Connie said with a shrug as they headed outside.  "I'd love to have you on board, Gus.  What's the matter?  Nervous around pretty girls or something?"

Ben laughed a little and said "Careful, Connie bites a bit.  She's a handful."

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
I AM THE SALMON MODERATOR
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:55 pm

Gus dipped his head but followed the others out "Yeah, I am actually. Give me an engine and I could talk about almost anything. Give me a pretty girl, er, woman, or two and I lose track" He said, looking to Ben then glancing to Connie again. She bit? She was a handful? She was pretty enough to break some hearts, that was certain, as was Lilly.

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:25 am

"Well lucky you, I'm an engineer too," Connie laughed.  "And Lilly works mostly with her dad doing administration stuff, and in the sheds fixing equipment with Julie, so you'll only be working with us most of the time."

"Alright, so Gus," Dirk cut in as the group picked up some tools and a fair amount of barely-thawed grease from Chris' equipment sheds.  "You're the one with the inside knowledge here.  Obviously Helen and Sam are gonna need a lot of work to get moving again, since they've both been sitting here for about fifteen years, but what about Rosie, Malcom, that GWR Pannier Tank engine in the back lot, and the California Zephyr coaches?  How willing to move do you think they'll be?  From what I saw Rosie and the coaches are in pretty nice shape, but I could be wrong, and like I said, you're the expert here."

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:38 am

Gus looked to Connie again then over to Dirk as he started asking questions. "Sam would try to get out of here without grease if you told her she could get a paint job like her sisters, and the sidewall. That's something she's wanted since before I met her. Like you saw, she's still in great condition, so it won't take much to get her move-ready anyway. Helen and Rosie are a bit worse off than Sam, Helen's last crew didn't take as good a care of her as they should have and she suffered for that, but she should be movable without too much trouble. Rosie may need to get a wheel replaced before she can be moved as well as greasing up. The Pannier tank and the coaches are about the same as Rosie, they need their wheels checked and axels greased at least before moving." He paused then and sighed softly "Malcolm is different, he is depressed and may have to be talked into seeing the benefits of new owners. He'll do what he's told well enough, but he needs a special person to run him. He hasn't talked much to me, but I think something happened to make him think he isn't worthy to be used again."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:53 am

Dirk, Ben and Connie listened intently as Gus explained the way he knew things were, who needed what work done and who was better off.  "Well even if we can't convince Malcom that heading off somewhere new is worth it and that he's worth it, he is only a dockside switcher tank engine.  If push comes to shove, we can either just drag him or stick him on a flatcar and bring him back like that, then give him a proper pep-talk back home at Fort Fairfax.  Now, I say we aught to divide and conquer here.  Gus, you and me can take care of Sam, Ben and Lilly, you guys can go investigate Malcom, the coaches and the Pannier, and Connie and Roger can look over Rosie and Helen.  That way we can probably be done before the tow loco gets here to take everything home.  Sound like a plan?"

"Yeah, no problems here," Connie said with a shrug as Ben replied with a simple nod.

"Alright then, let's get to work people.  I'm more than sick of this cold," Dirk replied with a chuckle before each group of two split up and headed their separate ways.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:34 am

Lilly nodded and went over to Ben, ready to work with him on Malcolm. 

Roger looked to Connie and grinned, nodding "Yeah, let's get busy" He said, eager to see Rosie and Helen to check on and grease them up. 

Gus was glad he would get to help with Sam, she was his favorite here, though he would never really admit as much. He had spent more time with her, getting over the loss of Jennie.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:17 pm

"Hey, Malcom, is it?" Ben asked the little saddle tank as he and Lilly made their way over beneath the little overhang he sat beneath.

Malcom glanced at the two humans and sighed "What do you want?"

"Come on, buck up man," Ben said, trying to be optimistic as he took a paint scraper and started working the grease in the bucket he had to work up some heat via friction and make it a bit more maleable.  "You're finally gonna be getting out of here and getting back to work, surely that's gotta be worth at least a smile, right?"

"Not really..." the tank engine groaned dejectedly.  "You guys really shouldn't have bought me..."

~~~
"Alright Helen, let's get you first, shall we?" Connie said as they made their way over towards the old Canadian Pacific loco.  Once she'd taken a bit of a better look at her, she gasped a bit and said "Oh my God, you're... you're an H1b Hudson?... I used to ride your trains when I went with my dad on business trips up north..."  As she made her way over to start working on greasing up Helen's undercarriage, her boot kicked some small piece of metal concealed under the snow.  Curious, she stopped and reached down to root around in the snow until she found it.  It had probably fallen off of the old steamer years ago, but she smiled when she brushed it off and memories came back of a name that even Helen may have forgotten after so long.  "Yeah, I remember you, Empress..."

~~~
Sam's eyes lit up when she saw Dirk and Gus approaching her with tools and a bucket of industrial axle grease.  "D-did it work out?..." she asked hesitantly.  "Am I finally gonna be leaving?... With you guys?..."

"You bet it did," Dirk said with a smile.  "Sam, you're now under the proud owner ship of the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  How's that steam return piping on your booster feel?"

Sam couldn't help but grin, and if she'd still had the strength and the flexibility, she would likely have physically jumped in delight at the news.  "Oh my God, thank you so much... You have no idea how much this means to me..." she said, tears coming to her eyes as Dirk was already getting to work thawing the lubricant enough to start applying it to her joints and bearings.  "Oh yeah, the piping..." she said, blushing a bit.  "Still feels pretty bad, I mean, I did deliberately break it to convince Chris my booster was useless.  Y-you're sure that it was a good idea?  You sure you can fix that?"

Dirk laughed a bit and said "Julie can do it.  Hell, she could probably forge you a brand new set of piping that works better than the what you originally had using just the raw materials.  She's so qualified it's almost disgusting."

"Alright then," she said, a giddy smile spreading across her face.  "God, I hope I'll still be able to move after sitting this long.  This is so exciting, I'll finally get to be useful again..."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:51 pm

"Why is that Malcolm?" Lilly asked, moving to help Ben get the grease ready and start applying it. Maybe if he opened up and talked to them, they could find a way to make things better for him. 

~~~
Helen looked to Connie as the girl came over, chatting excitedly then pausing to pick something up. "Empress?" It had been so long since anyone had called her that and this girl said she remembered... "I used to run those lines everyday, but it was so long ago." 

~~
"Looks like we both get new jobs and get to get out of here" Gus said with a grin, coming over to help get Sam ready to be moved. He hoped this Julie could do what Dirk said, he would hate to have Sam sidelined or worse after all of this.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:08 pm

"Because I'm nothing but trouble, a liability," Malcom said somewhat angrily.  "Plus I'm totally useless, I'll never get steamed up, even if I wanted to, and I know you folks don't have the money to fix me, so you might as well just strip me for parts and kill me now while it's easy.  It'd be better that way..."

~~~
"Yeah, I know, I was just a kid when my dad used to take me up to Vancouver with him on business, and riding your train through the mountains was always the best part for me," Connie said as she crawled underneath of Helen's frame and started working her brakes loose, leaving the now workable grease bucket out where both she and Roger could reach it.  "Your line was beautiful, and the ride was always so smooth, I always dreamed about getting to drive the train myself.  Maybe now I'll finally get to, if you'd have me, that is."

~~~
"Wait, what?" Sam asked curiously.  "Y-you got a job?"

"Yep, sure did," Dirk said as he worked her tender's coupling open, then started moving from her rear forwards, slathering everything that was supposed to move in a generous coating of axle grease.  "We've got the chairman's daughter with us, and when I told her about Gus' past she hired him on the spot.  He's coming back with us and I can't imagine he won't be your engineer."

Sam gave a delighted laugh and, had she possessed the means, would have grabbed Gus in a rib-popping bear hug.  "Oh my God, I can't believe it, I'm gonna get to run again, my only human friend gets a job running me, and on top of all that, we get to stick it to Chris for all those times he said we were the same kind of garbage and we'd never amount to anything."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:40 pm

Lilly reached up and patted Malcolm's side gently "Hey now, I'm sure it's not all that bad. You look pretty good to me and we have Julie. Come on, at least say you will give it a shot." 
~~~
Helen smiled softly, trying to remember those days. "You seem like a very nice girl Connie. I think I would like to have you in my crew."
~~~
Gus chuckled and started working on her axles and wheels on the other side. "It has been a good day for both of us today, hasn't it Sam?" He said, thinking of the look Chris would give them if he knew. He wished he could see that, but he wasn't going to search the man out.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:49 pm

"Oh really?  It can't be too bad?" Malcom said a bit angrily as Ben headed back towards his cab and continued greasing.  "1922, I was working the yards in San Francisco, and I backed into a brakevan on a parked freight train and crushed it while the crew was on break inside.  Killed the fireman and maimed the driver and two brakemen, the driver lost both of his legs at the waist.  1937, Seattle, my brakes failed while someone was lying on the round house floor working on me, and I ran him over.  Cut both his arms off at the elbows, and he nearly bled out right there.  1943, also Seattle, I ran a red signal and passed onto the main line with a few flatbeds of pipes, then jumped a switch and spilled them all over the tracks.  It took two days to clean up, and I crushed the switch master's foot with some of the pipes.  1961, Portland, my brakes failed again and I ran off the end of a pier and drowned my crew.  Also totally ruined my firebox since... Well, you know what happens when cold water meets hot steel..."

"Uhh, hey Lilly?  He's not kidding..." Ben called from the cab.  "You better come take a look at this..."

~~~
"And I'd love to be a part of it," Connie said with a smile as she worked.  "Well your wheels look pretty intact and round, no problems there, thought you might crack a seized brake pad or two when we move you, which is gonna sting something fierce.  Hopefully that'll be the most of our problems with the move once we get everything oiled up."

~~~
"Oh yeah, you bet it has," Sam said, sighing in content as she felt the caring touch of Gus and Dirk on her aching joints as they worked to get her loosened up to move again.  After fifteen years of sitting in the weather, though, many of her internals were seized up against each other, and some of her externals were severely frozen or rusted into imobility.  It was nothing that couldn't all be fixed easily with Julia's ridiculous qualifications and expertise, but what they didn't know yet was that just getting Sam to move at all would be excruciatingly painful, especially for her, no matter what they did.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:58 am

Lilly frowned at that recitation then looked over to Ben, going to see what he had found. "Certainly need to get your breaks fully checked out before we run you anywhere. Possibly replace the whole system if it fails that often." Between that and replacing the firebox, he would be a bit more expensive than they had thought.
~~~
Helen sighed a little "Yeah, that'll sting a bit if it happens. Don't forget to tend to Rosie before we start moving. I don't want her to be left here even for one more night." 
~~
Gus noticed the rusted parts and some of the seized exterior pieces and looked over to Dirk before going over to him. "I'll be right back, we gotta clean up some of this rust before she can move." He said and left to find a wire brush to borrow and possibly some WD40 to use on her too.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:44 am

When Lilly got into the cab she'd see Ben lying on the floor with the firebox doors open and a flashlight shining inside, revealing that Malcom's firebox was indeed truly destroyed from the flash-cooling caused by his plunge into the Portland harbor.  There were at least four very large cracks visible, some more than an inch across in places, that ran outwards from the front of the compartment.  "Honestly it's a miracle that his boiler didn't explode when he took that plunge," he said with a sigh.  "Malcom might be right, he might be more trouble to fix than he's worth."

"I told you guys it wasn't gonna work out," the saddle tank sighed as, from somewhere outside the yard, a series of four short blasts on the horn of a more modern diesel-electric locomotive could be heard, followed by the sound of the engine that made the signal slowing and eventually stopping somewhere a short distance east of the salvage yard.  "I'm a liability, just like my old controller called me when he sold me here, I'm a bad luck engine.  I've personally killed three people and seriously hurt five others.  Three of them will never walk again, and another no longer has his arms or hands.  I took that from all of them, and I deserve nothing more than to just be put down before I have a chance to take another innocent life..."

~~~
"And why is that exactly?" Connie wondered curiously, having not been there for the exchange between Rosie and the yard boss that had everyone so worried for the F7's continued existence.  Even though they now officially owned her, which would land Chris in some seriously deep legal sh#t if he actually tried to do anything to hurt her now, anyone who'd been at the yard as long as Helen or Rosie would know that it definitely wasn't beneath him.  When Connie heard the horn blasts out on the main line and recognized from the engine sounds that it was a solo locomotive either running alone or perhaps pulling a few empty flatbed cars, she smiled and said "Oh sweet, sounds like our ride is here a bit sooner than we thought."  As she finished what she felt she needed to accomplish with the old Hudson's undercarriage, she crawled back out and started greasing up her wheel bearings, her side and piston rods, and the other important joints on her outer mechanics.  "We should have you good to go here once we've got everything properly lubricated," she said.  "Then we can probably have them move you first and get those joints actually moving, work the grease inside of them and everything while we work on Rosie."

~~~
"Thanks Gus, I would love that," Sam said as she and Dirk both nodded their acknowledgement, glancing towards the front at the sound of the diesel's horn.  Sam was getting visibly giddy by now, almost quivering with excitement at the thoughts that the moment she'd finally get moving again was so close, still unaware that it would become by far the most physically painful moment of her life.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:35 am

"Well, he's ours now anyway, and we've already paid for him to be taken home, so let's see what Julia says about it and in the meantime, we watch his brakes closely. I'll not give up on him so easily as that, even with problems." Lilly said 
~~~
"The yard owner, Chris, he hates to be upstaged or told off, especially by us trains. He will find a way to make Rosie pay for what she and Gus said before despite what they said being the truth." Helen said, looking over to Rosie. "I wouldn't chance leaving her here or any of us that were bought." 
~~~
Gus grabbed what he thought they would need out of the shed and headed back to Sam to work on what he could to alleviate the coming pain of moving. He was just glad to not run into Chris on the way there

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:38 pm

"Yeah, I suppose," Ben said with a sigh.  "I think that aught to be as much as we need to do for Malcom, so I guess let's go find that Pannier tank."  Ben climbed down from the cab, gave Malcom a pat he didn't respond to, then grabbed the tools and set off to figure out where their other tank engine was.

~~~
"Oh, he's one of those types, huh?" Connie said with a scowl as she shook her head in disappointment.  "Well don't you worry, 'Empress' Helen, you guys are with us now, and if he so much as looks at my new engine funny, I'm liable to find something nice and important of his to break into a bunch of sharp little pieces, like a hand, or a femur.  Or he might very conveniently 'slip and fall' off of a fast-moving train while nobody else is looking..."

~~~
By the time Gus returned Dirk would have finished working on Sam's tender and her booster under the cab, and would have moved on to her near seven-foot drive wheels and the external mechanisms that went with them.  "I'll tell you what Gus," he said.  "Sam sure is one mighty fine locomotive.  Do you have any friends who would have dibs on her fireman position, or is her left seat unclaimed?"the

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:13 pm

Lilly looked at Malcolm and patted his side "I don't believe in curses, bad luck, yeah, but not curses." She said gently "Besides, all curses have to have an instigator and that would make everything their fault. Things like that have a way of working themselves out in the long run, but we will let Julia see you and see what she says before giving up."  She said before following Ben
~~~
"Yeah, he is" Helen agreed with a sigh then she smiled at what Connie said next. Oh yeah, she could get to like this girl. "Go on and get Rosie ready to go, I'll try moving to work the grease in." 

Roger had already taken the bucket over to let them talk a bit.
~~~
"So far as I know the spot is unclaimed right now." Gus said, moving to work on the rust and apply the WD40 to make it easier for her to move. "I do know of another engine, not in a junkyard like this. He may be for sale to an outfit like yours."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:36 pm

"Yeah, sure... Whatever you want to think..." Malcom sighed heavily as he watched the pair walking away.

"Man, he's really not very chipper about anything, is he?" Ben sighed as they headed towards the back of the yard where the unnamed Pannier Tank loco was kept.

~~~
"I'd hold off on that just yet, Helen," Connie warned as she managed to remove a brake pad that was more rust than steel at this point and tossed it aside.  "We're gonna need to replace most of your brake pads, because they're pretty thin and brittle.  If you get rolling on your own  it might prove tough to get you to stop, you know?  By all means, stretch yourself out a bit, but try to keep your wheels still as much as you can, at least until you're coupled up to something with the power to stop you rolling away."

Rosie looked down at Roger hopefully as he saw her approaching her.  "W-well?... You got good news or bad news?..." she asked nervously.  "A-am I coming home with you guys, or am I gonna die tonight?..."

~~~
"Well if you and Sam would have me, I'd love to take that left seat and be her fireman," Dirk said with a smile.  "I've always wanted to ride a train pulled by a Golden State class loco, and this is my opportunity to not only do that, but to remind everyone else who the Southern Pacific Daylight really is; the most beautiful train in the world."

Sam blushed deeply and giggled at that, looking away from Dirk bashfully as she felt Gus scrubbing the rust-removing lubricant into the joints on her side rods.

"Oh really?  Another engine?" Dirk echoed curiously.  "Well you're just all full of surprises, aren't you, Gus?  Where are they at, and what kind of loco?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:54 pm

Lilly frowned a little but nodded "We shall have to do what we can to prove him wrong, if we can." She said then focused on the other train, walking over to have a look at him "Hello there." 

~~~
Helen froze in place then sighed "I am excited to leave this place." She said, though now she was scared to move even to stretch out a little. She didn't want to roll and hurt Connie with a brake failure. 

"Yes, you are coming home with us" Roger said with a smile then held up the bucket "I am coming to grease you up so you can be moved and taken to our shop so we can do a proper look over and get anything wrong fixed up." 

~~~
"The engine's name is Frankie, he's a Fowler 4F. Last I heard he and his owner, Eric, we at the farm in Newton. Farm used to send out deliveries by rail, so they had a shed there that Frankie was put in. Eric may not want to leave the farm, but he may sell you Frankie to give him a job again. If he's still alive, I haven't heard anything about him in a few years." Gus said as he worked his way around Sam.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:39 pm

Eventually the pair would locate the lonely GWR Pannier Tank locomotive asleep on one of the back sidings.  They looked to be in fair shape, and we're one of the later models.  An 0-6-0PT, probably a 5700 class, which would be confirmed by the road number of 9666.  Their dark green paint was still visible beneath the snow, and the gold lettered "G W R" on the side of the boxy water tanks was almost shiny.  They still had their buffers from the British Railway system, but they'd been converted to have a US railway standard knuckle coupler, which seemed only appropriate.  "Well, this seems promising..." Ben said as he made his way up to the old British tank engine.

(You wanna take him/her, if you don't mind?  Maybe they don't have a name and Lilly and Ben could give them one on the fly)

~~~
"And I'm excited to be taking you out of here," Connie said, glancing back down the tracks behind Helen as she heard a short honk come from the UP tow locomotive that had just stopped a short distance beyond the start of the system of switches that fed into the yard proper.  "Well, looks like our ride is here," she chuckled as she pulled the few remaining frozen brake pads lose enough for Helen's wheels to not grind themselves away against them when she moved.  "I think that's about as good as we can manage for preparations right now, so I'm gonna go and get the switches set up properly, then guide the tow locomotive in here.  If you want, go ahead and do some stretching, but try not to break anything, alright?  I'll be back in a few minutes."

Rosie was quiet in shock for a moment as Roger made his way around her and her B-unit to inspect her, before she began weeping softly out of joy and relief at being saved and finally getting to leave.  "Oh my God, th-thank you... thank you guys so much... y-you guys are gonna have plenty of work for me, right?..."  As Roger made his inspection, he would find that, aside from greasing her bearings, there wasn't much that needed to be done.  There was a moderate flat spot on the back left wheel on the front truck of her B-unit, but there was nothing they could do about that until they got her back to the shops in Fort Fairfax, since the wheel would need to be replaced, but other than that she looked perfectly fine, even internally.  She honestly seemed like once you drained the fluids from her engine blocks, charged the batteries, then put in some fresh oil and diesel fuel, that she could start right up and go.  It'd definitely make for one hell of an epic cold-start, but it'd likely work anyways.

~~~
(Ooh... We're gonna find a body in that farm house, aren't we?...)

"A Fowler?" Dirk echoed curiously.  "Well that'd definitely make sense in this climate, where the cold would help with the hot bearing problem, and another mid-size loco would definitely be useful, provided he runs.  And as long as we won't need to special-order Welsh coal for him or anything, hopefully the local stuff will burn plenty hot and clean enough.  You know what, yeah, I think we'll definitely have to check him out, that sounds like a great opportunity, as long as Eric's around and willing to part with an old friend."  As he looked back and saw a Union Pacific GP-40 waiting just beyond the switch tracks, he smiled and said "Here, Gus, the tow's here, how about we work on opening Sam's forward coupler and locking that in, then you finish up what you can with her while I can go get the switches aligned?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:13 am

(yeah, I can play him, no name...lol)
The tank snorted awake and looked at the people coming over to him with a bit of trepidation. Were they coming to take him away on a salvage run? Did Chris need his spot for another engine? 

Lilly looked at the Pannier Tank and walked over to touch the boiler, looking at him curiously"Haven't seen one of these in years, he looks to be in good shape" She said "Donkey" he started checking him over.
~~~
"Alright" Helen said and gingerly started stretching a little at a time. She so did not want to break anything.

~
"Plenty of work" Roger agreed with a soft chuckle as he finished his inspection and started greasing her "You are in very good shape, I have to say, I know we will need to replace this wheel but it looks like that and a little engine work and you will be able to get started working easily." 
~~~
(lol)
"Nah, he used local. Eric wanted to promote 'American' anything, almost refused to even drive a non-American engine, but he came around eventually and they made one of the best teams I knew." Gus said with a smile of remembrance. He glanced to the tow then nodded and went to work on the coupler to get that ready. "Right, boss."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:02 pm

"Yeah, I would have to agree," Ben said with a smile as he looked the old British tank engine over, but couldn't find any identification other than his road number.  "You got a name, fella?" he asked innocently.

~~~
A few minutes later Helen would hear the sounds of the GP-40 slowly reversing down the track behind her, being guided by Connie the whole way.  "That's it, keep coming... Little more, aaaaaand... GOOD!" she called as the tow locomotive got in close, giving the signal for them to brake about five feet before the empty flatcars would have made contact with Helen's tender, allowing for the coupling to be so smooth and gentle that the old Hudson would hardly have even felt it.  Connie checked the connections for a moment and linked the air hose, then clambered up into Helen's cab and said "You ready for this, old girl?"

~~~
"Oh thank the maker..." Rosie sighed in relief.  "Am I really in that good condition?  I always thought that my motors were totally shot or something... Oh jeez, this is so great, I'm finally gonna be getting back to work!"

~~~
"Well like I said, I hope he'd be willing to part with an old friend for a good cause like this," Dirk said as he came around to Sam's cowcatcher along with Gus and helped him wrestle the streamlining hatch open, then grabbed ahold of the couple's small hand holds and heaved.  Between them both they were eventually able to pull it out and lock it into place, after which Dirk caught his breath and chuckled "Hey, I might be all buddy-buddy with Lilly, who definitely is your boss alongside her dad, but I personally am most certainly not your boss.  Hell, if I end up as Sam's fireman, you'll be my boss in a way.  All I got going for me is a good eye, a good right arm, and a knack for leadership and organization."  He turned to the drab grey GS-7 prototype behind them and said "How you feeling, Sam?"

"Stiff," she said nervously, blushing a bit.  "And I feel like a girl who's got guys constantly looking up her skirt, but other than that I'm totally pumped."

Dirk laughed and blushed a bit himself.  "Well I guess you could say I've gotten to first base with you faster than I did with Lilly then.  I'm gonna go get those switches, you two keep at it."

Last edited by Starrnico on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : doubled)

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:02 pm

"I don't have a name" The tank said slowly then sighed "You coming to send me to get melted down?" 
~~~
Helen shivered a little "I-I think so" She said, hoping it both wouldn't hurt and wouldn't break anything to be moved now. She was both scared and excited for this to happen now.
~~~
Roger chuckled and patted her siding "Yeah, you are going to get out of here and work with just a little maintenance. It'll be a cold start of course, but it should go smoothly enough
~~~
Gus chuckled and shook his head, listening to both of them as they talked. "Hey, you stick with me, you find I like to joke a little, nothing major just things like calling someone 'boss' when they give me an order that I agree with." He said then looked back to Sam again and winked "Don't worry darling, I don't kiss and tell" He said jokingly

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:00 pm

"No name?  Oh that's not gonna work, we'll have to figure something out for that," Ben chuckled.  "No, we're definitely not here to take you off to the smelters, we're here to take you off to a new job."  He turned to Lilly and curiously asked "You have any ideas about what we could call him?"
(I'm tempted to name him 'Duck' like in the Railroad Series, lol)

~~~
"Alright then," Connie said as she leaned out the side of Helen's cab and signalled the GP-40 driver to reverse slowly.  The slack in the couplings was quickly taken up and Helen would feel the heavy pull on her aging frame.  Her stiff joints groaned and creaked, painfully resisting the attempt at movement after being stagnant for so long.  After what seemed like forever, but was really only about two minutes, her wheels slipped a bit against their bearings, then against the rails before loosening up and allowing her to start slowly rolling backwards.  As she began moving, the grease quickly worked it's way deeper into her joints and loosened them further, making it easier the farther she rolled.  "There we go, that's it," Connie said triumphantly.  "You okay Helen?  That sounded bad..."

~~~
"Oh that's amazing... Thank you guys so much..." Rosie said in relief.  "You know, it's been eleven years since I've felt anyone sit in my cab, I think I may have even forgotten..."

~~~
Sam blushed again and said "You know, if I was human I would marry you in a heartbeat..."  She was quiet for a moment before she said "You ever wonder what we would be like if we swapped species?  What do you imagine I would look like as a human, Gus?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:12 am

Lilly looked to Ben then shook her head a little "We should find out about his personality a bit to give him a name that suits him" She said calmly, coming over to pat his side

The tank looked from one to the other, surprised they were taking him not to be killed but to have a job. "A job, and a name?" 
~~~
Helen had squeezed her eyes shut at the pain of moving again after so long. She didn't speak or open her eyes again until after the grease started making it easier to move once again. "Goodness, that hurt, but it's already getting better now" She said, though it still hurt a little she knew it would work out by keeping moving. 
~~~
Roger smiled at her and climbed up in her cab to sit there for the moment, looking around. "That's an easy enough thing to fix, just to have someone sitting in here for a bit. Soon enough you will have a new driver, but I will talk to Lilly about becoming your fireman if you want me to." He offered
~~~
Gus sobered at her question, frowning a little and looking down then going over to lean against her side. "It's funny you should ask, Jennie liked to ask things like that too. I imagined she would be a red-head because she did have a temper at times. You though, you I think would have auburn hair, just that highlight of red over rich brown. Of course athletic, because you want to run. Probably a soft, heart shaped face too." He said then shrugged and looked at her again "What kind of train do you think I would be?"

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top