The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It's the year 1970, and the American railroad industry is modernizing at an incredible pace.  Steam locomotives as a species are being killed off in preference of more reliable and efficient diesel-electric locomotives.  Thousands of the old iron giants are being dragged off to scrap yards and smelting plants in long, ominous funeral trains, their eyes wide and pleading for help that will never come to any human they pass by on their way to their inevitable deaths.  To their old crews, these locos are family, but to the industry, they're now a liability, worth nothing more than their weight in scrap steel, at a rate of about forty seven dollars per metric ton.

In northern Washington State, trouble is brewing in the small railroad city of Fort Fairfax.  The local railroad company has been run out of business by the mega-tycoon that is the Union Pacific.  With the rail line shut down and deteriorating from years of disuse, the only way in and out of the valley was via the main 'highway', Route Seven, but on December 8th, 1970, heavy snow and ice caused a rock face in the mountains to collapse, completely burying three miles of Route Seven under millions of tons of granite boulders, snow, and ice near the town of Saint Josef.  Luckily only ten people were killed, but the road was rendered completely impassable, practically cutting off the entire valley of Bucket Falls from the outside world.  (There are other roads out of the valley, but Route Seven was the only one that was remotely safe in winter conditions, and the only route capable of supporting large trucks in any weather)  The only hope for Fort Fairfax, as well as the neighboring towns of Thomas Canyon, Josha's Cradle, Simonville, and Dunk Town, and the hamlet of Elena Junction, was reopening the old railroad.  The two main industries in the canyon, Dyken's Coal Mine and the Lena's Mineral Mining Company, were among the first to get onboard the bandwagon of reopening the line, followed closely by the Dunk Town Sawmill and Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals.  The companies could all theoretically survive through the winter by temporarily shutting down their operations to save capital, then reopening after the spring thaw would allow for Route Seven to be cleared and rebuilt, but in a rare stroke of plain humanity all four of the company CEOs decided that the railroad reopening would not only be good news for all of them, but more importantly, would be good news for all the people living in the valley.  With the support from the local industries and the residents of the valley, a group of citizens from Fort Fairfax formed the Full Bucket Line Preservation Society, which soon enough became the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  The initial investments from the industrial companies provided the FBLRR with most of the initial capital they needed to get most of the line repaired to the point of being safely usable, but that still left them with a rather serious problem.

What the hell good is a railroad with no locomotives and no rolling stock?

When the line was first shut down, the Union Pacific bought up everything worth recovering at the bankruptcy auction, which included all the locomotives and nearly all of the rolling stock.  There were a few cars left behind scattered around the line, but all needed serious work if they were even salvageable at all, and even all of them put together weren't going to be enough to run the railroad with.  Luckily most of the old railroad's employees were local residents, so there was no shortage of qualified workers, but the company was quickly running out of cash, and they still didn't even have any locomotives.

And so the search began for the trains that could help to save the valley of Bucket Falls.  For the size of the line they would be trying to run, starting off they would need at least one or two small locomotives for shunting work and pulling maintenance trains (probably small steam tank engines or diesel switchers), two or three mid-sized locos for general freight traffic and short, local passenger trains, and one large, powerful main-line locomotive for bringing the big freight trains in and out of the valley, as well as pulling the fast passenger services.  It's a tall order, but hopefully the folks at the FBLRR can find some of what they need without breaking the bank.

And hopefully the engines themselves will be willing to cooperate after being neglected and cast aside for so long.

Its the nature of time that the old ways must give in
Its the nature of time that the new ways come in sin
When the new meets the old it always ends the ancient ways
But as history told, the old ways go out in a blaze

~~~~~

Okay, so if you can't tell, this is a world where many of the vehicles that humans build and use are sentient beings, sort of like in "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "Cars" (if Cars had humans).  They have a fair bit of control over themselves, but still need human crew to fully operate most of the time.  They do have faces, but not Thomas-style faces where it covers most of the front of their body.  They're much less intrusive, being just eyes and a mouth somewhere that makes sense on the front of their body, like this:
As sentient beings, they've all got their own personalities and feelings, most have names, they can feel pain and other physical sensations with surprising sensitivity.  Their bodies are a bit flexible, but not quite to the extent of the characters in "Cars".  When a locomotive and its crew are familiar with one another and have formed a tight bond, one can expect to see significantly better physical performance out of both.  The mental health of a sentient vehicle has a significant and direct impact on their physical capabilities, meaning a happy, satisfied train with a good crew that they're close to will tend to perform significantly better than their design specifications say they should be able to, while a depressed or angry locomotive or one with a crew that they're always at odds with will have substantially worse general performance, or may even straight-up refuse to work at all.

Please keep in mind for the vehicles that most of what the FBLRR is going to be using/getting their hands on is going to be old, outdated, and generally unwanted equipment.  Very little, if anything, is going to be new or modern (for the present time period of 1970) so try to keep to trains that were built between the 1940s and the early '60s, or were being retired from service in 1966 at the latest.  Trucks could probably be a bit newer, like '68 or '69 (giggity), but toss in some older ones as well for added historical nostalgia stuff.

Character Forms:

Human:

Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Personality:
Relevant skills:
Recommended/Desired/Current job:
Other:

Trains:

Name: (If they were ever given one, or can remember their name)
Class: (The exact type of train they were.  Please be specific.  If you have an idea about what you want from the character, do some searching online to find something that might match what you want)
Personality:
Picture (Optional):
Other:

Trucks:

Name: (Again, if they ever got one)
Personality:
Picture: (Optional)
Other:

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:53 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Minor gramatical revisions, added a short bit of symbolic poetry)
Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Re: The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Starrnico on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:17 am

Lilly got the kids in and settled them on the blankets, sitting with them so they could try to get comfortable. 

Benson and Phil listened to the story with frowns. Benson shook his head when the story ended. "That is sad, those kids sure went through a lot tonight." He said, looking to the cab of the train even though it was closed.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)
Gold Pieces: 15 g 42 s 86 c

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:18 am

Nathan's immediately crawled over and curled up against Lilly's within the blanket, starting to softly cry against her.   His little body was so exhausted from the length and the stress of the day so far that he very quickly passed out asleep right there.

“Yeah, a lot that they never should have had to go through, especially at this age,” Warden said softly, to which Rosie and Kevin both nodded their somber agreement.

“Especially with everything that they've already been through,” Rosie added.  “They’re both orphans, both tragically lost their parents pretty recently and just happened to end up here in our care.”

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
I AM THE SALMON MODERATOR
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:10 pm

Lilly was soon sitting with the kids on either side of her, both of them sleeping. She hummed to them to try to keep them from dreaming of bad things. 

That brought another frown before Benson shook his head a little. "I hope they don't have nightmares about this."He wished he could do something to make them feel better, especially with them being orphans, but he had his own son and wife to take care of. Hm, maybe... "My son's outgrown some of his clothes. The boy might like them."

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:11 am

“Oh wow, really?  You’d consider that?” Rosie asked, curious and surprised as well.  “I’m sure Nathan would be very grateful for that.  Uhh… Lilly, could you take a peek at the tags in Nate's clothes for me and see what sizes he is?”

About then a call came in over Phil's CB radio from the dispatcher back at the police station.  “Dispatch to car seventy-nine, car seven-niner, report.  We have an update on the status of the shooting incident which pertains to your unit.”

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:11 am

Lilly nodded and carefully checked the tags, trying not to wake the young boy from his sleep then telling Rosie the sizes.

Benson went over to Phil, answering the call and asking for the updated info on the case and letting them know it had been quiet over here.

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:08 am

Rosie smiled and gently nodded her understanding to Lilly, being careful not to shake her cab hardly at all so she wouldn’t wake the kids, but stayed quiet for the moment to let Phil and Detective Benson speak with their dispatcher uninterrupted.

“Acknowledged, seventy nine,” the woman speaking to the officers over the radio replied.  “Fourteen is en-route to your 20 transporting the shooter.  As of the present time, Miss McCormick has been released on account of the very high likelihood of the incident being a legitimate and just self-defense shooting, and is not being suspected of or charged with anything.  She will be free to return home for tonight, though may be summoned to return if new details uncovered in the investigation would warrant such a course.  Once she has arrived safely, you and unit sixty-four (Kevin and Warden) are clear to 10-19 your usual patrols.  How copy, over?”

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:20 pm

"10-4, thanks for the update." Benson said, looking over to Kevin and Warden to relay the info to them, and let Rosie know as well. It was good they would get to go home tonight, and hopefully without any further problems. He took a moment to write down the sizes he had been given then looked to Rosie again "I will get the clothes on their way for him soon, maybe even catch one of you passing through to get it sent that way." 

(Lol, I had to look up the numbers and 10-40 apparently means Silent Run - No Light, Siren unless you are in CA, where it means "Is ___ Available for Phone Call?" at least according to this site: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] )

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 am

(Huh, that’s interesting, I thought that the police 10-codes were more or less universal… lol, what I was going off of had 10-19 marked as “Return to Station” and 10-40 as “Permission to leave area”.  Hmm… I’ll make some edits to my last reply, going off of the General Purpose column on that site.)

“Wow, thank you so much, Detective,” Rosie said, smiling widely in gratitude.  “I’m sure that Nathan is going to love getting some new clothes.  The world really needs more generous, understanding people like you around, especially in times like this where so many are becoming so urgently in need.  I do hope we get some chances to meet up again.  This rail yard should get to be pretty busy before too much longer here, so there’ll be no shortage of opportunities for us trains to be around here.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Benson dipped his head in a nod and smiled back to her. "It would be nice if everyone could just be kind to one another, though that would put me out of a job." He said joking a little. "When I get everything together, I'll check the scheduled runs near here and see if that would work out better than trying to send it by mail or truck." 

(You would think they would mean the same things, but according to that list, it can be vastly different. *shrugs* I didn't know the meaning in the first place, so had to look it up.)

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 Yesterday at 6:31 pm

"Indeed it would be, but honestly if we lived in a world like that, I'm sure someone like you wouldn't have any problems finding another job," Rosie said consolingly.  "Yeah, that sounds like a pretty sound plan.  I'm bound to be pretty busy for the next few days, running all over hell and creation since I'm the only mainline engine running at the moment.  As a matter of fact, I think I'm supposed to head all the way up to Lake Hurst in a day or two to pick up a pretty sizable Merchandise train, and I should be dropping off a big piece of it here, so if you're around we should be able to pick something up from you then."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Today at 5:21 am

"That should give me plenty of time." Benson said with a smile and a nod. "Maybe even let my boy see a real train if you come on my day off. He was already planning it out in his head. "He has toy trains he plays with, but he's never seen more than pictures of a real one." He just hoped he wasn't 'too old' to like the experience, one never knew with teens.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 Today at 7:47 am

“Ohh really?  That sounds like a wonderful idea,” Rosie said with a smile.  “I’ve always loved kids, and another young railfan would be a great thing in my book.  If you’re able to bring him along I’ll be sure to make it a memorable experience for him.”

Connie sighed in relief as she saw that they were rounding the last corner and pulling up towards the rail yard where Rosie was parked with the other two pairs of officers.  “Thank you again for the ride, officer Milton,” she said gratefully.  “It’d be a real drag to have to get all the way back here walking alone, and who knows what else could have happened.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Today at 8:07 am

Benson smiled and nodded then looked over to the new car coming, tensing a moment then relaxing as he recognized it. "There's your other friend, you will all get to go home tonight." He said gently. That was good,t hey didn't want a bad rep with the new trains and the woman hadn't done wrong if she was being released this soon.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 Today at 10:04 am

Rosie turned her gaze towards the approaching car as well, then smiled when she heard what Detective Benson said, as well as seeing Connie step out of the passenger seat once the car stopped.  “Oh good, you’re alright and we can all head home,” the diesel said with a smile.  “So how bad did they frisk ya'?  You still got everything you came here with?”

The buxom blonde engineer laughed at what she could tell was a joke as she thanked the pair that had dropped her off again, then made her way over towards Rosie to clamber back aboard.  “Yeah, you should’ve been there, it was awful,” she chuckled.  “They stripped me of everything, did a full cavity search, and didn’t even buy me dinner first.”

“Dispatch to Seventy Nine,” came a call on Phil's CB.  “Received a call about a 10-50 PD minor at 7th and Logan.  Single vehicle, minimal damage and injuries, likely black ice, can you divert to assist?  How copy, over?”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Today at 1:01 pm

Benson smiled at their exchange then turned to reply tot he radio. "10-4, I'm on my way now." He said, waving bye to the others and getting in the car to head over to the accident scene.

Lilly looked to the door when it opened and smiled "Hi Connie, you alright?" She asked softly.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content