The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Page 17 of 23 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It's the year 1970, and the American railroad industry is modernizing at an incredible pace.  Steam locomotives as a species are being killed off in preference of more reliable and efficient diesel-electric locomotives.  Thousands of the old iron giants are being dragged off to scrap yards and smelting plants in long, ominous funeral trains, their eyes wide and pleading for help that will never come to any human they pass by on their way to their inevitable deaths.  To their old crews, these locos are family, but to the industry, they're now a liability, worth nothing more than their weight in scrap steel, at a rate of about forty seven dollars per metric ton.

In northern Washington State, trouble is brewing in the small railroad city of Fort Fairfax.  The local railroad company has been run out of business by the mega-tycoon that is the Union Pacific.  With the rail line shut down and deteriorating from years of disuse, the only way in and out of the valley was via the main 'highway', Route Seven, but on December 3rd, 1970, heavy snow and ice caused a rock face in the mountains to collapse, completely burying three miles of Route Seven under millions of tons of granite boulders, snow, and ice near the town of Saint Josef.  Luckily only ten people were killed, but the road was rendered completely impassable, practically cutting off the entire valley of Bucket Falls from the outside world.  (There are other roads out of the valley, but Route Seven was the only one that was remotely safe in winter conditions, and the only route capable of supporting large trucks in any weather)  The only hope for Fort Fairfax, as well as the neighboring towns of Thomas Canyon, Josha's Cradle, Simonville, and Dunk Town, and the hamlet of Elena Junction, was reopening the old railroad.  The two main industries in the canyon, Dyken's Coal Mine and the Lena's Mineral Mining Company, were among the first to get onboard the bandwagon of reopening the line, followed closely by the Dunk Town Sawmill and Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals.  The companies could all theoretically survive through the winter by temporarily shutting down their operations to save capital, then reopening after the spring thaw would allow for Route Seven to be cleared and rebuilt, but in a rare stroke of plain humanity all four of the company CEOs decided that the railroad reopening would not only be good news for all of them, but more importantly, would be good news for all the people living in the valley.  With the support from the local industries and the residents of the valley, a group of citizens from Fort Fairfax formed the Full Bucket Line Preservation Society, which soon enough became the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  The initial investments from the industrial companies provided the FBLRR with most of the initial capital they needed to get most of the line repaired to the point of being safely usable, but that still left them with a rather serious problem.

What the hell good is a railroad with no locomotives and no rolling stock?

When the line was first shut down, the Union Pacific bought up everything worth recovering at the bankruptcy auction, which included all the locomotives and nearly all of the rolling stock.  There were a few cars left behind scattered around the line, but all needed serious work if they were even salvageable at all, and even all of them put together weren't going to be enough to run the railroad with.  Luckily most of the old railroad's employees were local residents, so there was no shortage of qualified workers, but the company was quickly running out of cash, and they still didn't even have any locomotives.

And so the search began for the trains that could help to save the valley of Bucket Falls.  For the size of the line they would be trying to run, starting off they would need at least one or two small locomotives for shunting work and pulling maintenance trains (probably small steam tank engines or diesel switchers), two or three mid-sized locos for general freight traffic and short, local passenger trains, and one large, powerful main-line locomotive for bringing the big freight trains in and out of the valley, as well as pulling the fast passenger services.  It's a tall order, but hopefully the folks at the FBLRR can find some of what they need without breaking the bank.

And hopefully the engines themselves will be willing to cooperate after being neglected and cast aside for so long.

Its the nature of time that the old ways must give in
Its the nature of time that the new ways come in sin
When the new meets the old it always ends the ancient ways
But as history told, the old ways go out in a blaze

~~~~~

Okay, so if you can't tell, this is a world where many of the vehicles that humans build and use are sentient beings, sort of like in "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "Cars" (if Cars had humans).  They have a fair bit of control over themselves, but still need human crew to fully operate most of the time.  They do have faces, but not Thomas-style faces where it covers most of the front of their body.  They're much less intrusive, being just eyes and a mouth somewhere that makes sense on the front of their body, like this:
As sentient beings, they've all got their own personalities and feelings, most have names, they can feel pain and other physical sensations with surprising sensitivity.  Their bodies are a bit flexible, but not quite to the extent of the characters in "Cars".  When a locomotive and its crew are familiar with one another and have formed a tight bond, one can expect to see significantly better physical performance out of both.  The mental health of a sentient vehicle has a significant and direct impact on their physical capabilities, meaning a happy, satisfied train with a good crew that they're close to will tend to perform significantly better than their design specifications say they should be able to, while a depressed or angry locomotive or one with a crew that they're always at odds with will have substantially worse general performance, or may even straight-up refuse to work at all.

Please keep in mind for the vehicles that most of what the FBLRR is going to be using/getting their hands on is going to be old, outdated, and generally unwanted equipment.  Very little, if anything, is going to be new or modern (for the present time period of 1970) so try to keep to trains that were built between the 1940s and the early '60s, or were being retired from service in 1966 at the latest.  Trucks could probably be a bit newer, like '68 or '69 (giggity), but toss in some older ones as well for added historical nostalgia stuff.

Character Forms:

Human:

Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Personality:
Relevant skills:
Recommended/Desired/Current job:
Other:

Trains:

Name: (If they were ever given one, or can remember their name)
Class: (The exact type of train they were.  Please be specific.  If you have an idea about what you want from the character, do some searching online to find something that might match what you want)
Personality:
Picture (Optional):
Other:

Trucks:

Name: (Again, if they ever got one)
Personality:
Picture: (Optional)
Other:

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Wed May 23, 2018 10:17 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Minor gramatical revisions, added a short bit of symbolic poetry)
Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Re: The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:40 pm

There were a few somewhat shady-looking characters that seemed oddly interested in following and watching the three of them for a while, but they were able to reach Jerry's corner store unmolested.  "Alright guys," she said with a relieved sigh, setting Nathan down once they got inside the store (which was essentially like a Wawa before Wawa was a thing, just for reference).  "You go ahead and take a look around, find some stuff you guys like, and when you're done we can meet up by the front counter."

Nathan glanced around them a little and smiled, then nodded his understanding before wandering off to go looking around more thoroughly.

~~~
"Alright, then let's get going," Dirk said with a smile as he headed over to open the bay door and Jim moved to open Sky's passenger door for his betrothed to get in.

~~~
"Oh yeah, good thinking Gus," Julia said with a smile as she looked around the room for a moment, scratching her chin thoughtfully.  "Uuuummm... I think it might be somewhere over in that corner..." she said after a moment, pointing towards one of the back corners of the room that seemed to be dominated by two tables piled up with random, confusing pieces of mostly metallic objects, along with a lot more of said unrecognizable junk scattered around on the floor.  "Yeah, sorry about the mess, that's kind of where I tend to just toss things that I don't want to deal with right now..."

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:30 pm

Cat noticed the men that watched them and moved subtly closer to Connie until they got to the market. She nodded and grabbed a handbasket then Nathan's hand. She didn't want to be alone while wandering the store. She walked with him to look around the store for some snacks they could eat, She was glad when they found some cookies, grabbing a couple of kinds to the basket.
~~~
Starr smiled at the truck's bit of sass and moved to get in with Jim. "This should be fun" She said happily
~~~
Gus grinned and headed that way to look. "Wouldn't want you to have wasted all that work you've done so far." He said honestly. He started looking around, trying not to move things too much or make anything fall. It would take a while and a bit of digging but eventually he was able to pull out an old SP 6-chime whistle. He gave a soft whistle at the find, taking it back over to Julia "Hey, this would work on Sam, wouldn't it?" He asked trying not to get too excited at the find.

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)
Gold Pieces: 15 g 42 s 86 c

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:31 am

Nathan quickly looked over at Cat when he felt her grasp his hand like that and blushed a bit when he saw who it was touching him, but he eagerly gripped Cat's hand as well as the two of them made their way around the store together.  “It’s kinda scary here this late…” he said bashfully.  “But being with you guys makes me feel a lot better about it, a-and other than that I really love living here so far.”  When they got to the cold storage section he seemed to pause and look at some of the milk in a bit of confusion.  “I-Is this how you guys store and buy your milk here in America?...”

~~~
“Oh yes, I’m sure you’re right there,” Jim chuckled as he shut Starr's door, then got into Sky's cab and started her up, gently and skillfully pulling her outside the building so Dirk could shut the door, then he scooted over into the middle seat to let Dirk get in and start driving them to Mr. Iverson's office.

~~~
“Yeah, neither would I,” Julia laughed as she promptly got back to work on making the first of Sam's needed guide rods.

“What’d you say?” she asked in confusion when Gus presented his find to her, since she hadn’t been able to hear him at first.  When she saw what he’d pulled out of her junk pile her eyes lit up a little and she grabbed the old, slightly battered whistle from his hands to inspect it.  “Oh yeah, this'll be perfect for her once we get it reshaped, get these dents taken care of, and polish it up as well.  It’s even from her original railroad too, that’s awesome, I think she’ll love this!”

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
I AM THE SALMON MODERATOR
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:53 pm

Cat nodded and smiled at Nathan at his admission "Yeah, it is a little scary sometimes, but we should be fine." She said softly then looked to the milk with him and nodded "Yeah, that's how it's usually stored, how else?" 

~~~
Starr chuckled and watched around them as Sky headed for the offices and Mr Iverson through the cold streets. It was beautiful country out here, just cold with the snow everywhere. 

~~~
Gus grinned at that and nodded happily. "I think she will, it looks a bit different than her old one, but it should fit her and her personality once it's fixed up." He agreed, looking over the whistle then smiling at Julie again

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:27 pm

"Ohh, well most of the time we sell milk in these clear plastic bags," Nathan explained.  "I've never seen it sold in these hard plastic jugs or in glass bottles, that seems so wasteful to me."

~~~
It was slow but easy going as they drove to the Iverson's home where Henry had his company office set up, at least until the main station building got renovated.  Dirk parked Sky in the driveway and headed up to the door to knock, glancing to Jim and Starr as they followed him.  When Mr. Iverson eventually opened the door he smiled at seeing them all there.

"Oh come on, get yourselves inside!" he insisted immediately.  "It's too bloody cold outside, I've got coffee and tea and everything in here where we can talk."

~~~
"Yeah, that's for sure, but if I remember right what these things sound like, it'll fit who she is a lot better," Julia agreed.  "Now comes the issue of getting a delicate piece of equipment like this reshaped properly...  Well, after we get her drive system functioning again at least."

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:01 am

"The glass bottles can be reused and usually are. The plastic I think they have places that melt it down and reshape it for other use, or something like that." Cat said, shaking her head a little cause she couldn't remember. She picked out one of the glass bottles for them to get. "Even if they aren't reused for milk, the bottles are good for holding other stuff, like coins or flowers." 
~~~
Starr got out of the truck, thanking Sky before heading up to the door with Jim and Dirk. "Hello Mr. Iverson" She said with a smile as they all went inside the house where it was a lot warmer than outside. 
~~~
Gus looked at the whistle, running his hands over the metal. "I hope we can get it looking good, without damaging it. I know she would love it" He said softly.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:12 pm

“Oh, really?  You guys reuse them?”  This seemed to puzzle him almost as much as seeing the American style of containers in the first place.  “Ohh, we're not allowed to recycle our milk bags in Vancouver for some reason.  My mom told me that the people from the city said it had something to do with the kind of plastic they used, but that it didn’t make sense because they could be recycled in other towns just fine.”

~~~
“It’s a pleasure to meet you both in person,” Mr. Iverson said as he shook hands with the couple, then led the group into the lounge area of his home.  He gestured for each of them to take a seat as he headed towards the adjacent kitchen and asked “And what would each of you like to drink?  I’m sure you all could use something.”

Knowing he wouldn’t be able to refuse the elder man's hospitality, Dirk relented and said “You know me, Mr. Iverson, I can never get enough of Mrs. Elena's apple cider, if you have any.”

“Of course I do, Dirk, I always have some warming in a pot by the fireplace,” he replied.  “Helps to keep her memory more alive, to be able to smell and taste her cider recipe whenever I need to.  I’ve never been quite able to get it quite right, but Lilly still makes it just like her mother used to, bless her heart.  What about you two love birds?  Any preferences?”

~~~
“Yeah, I’m sure we should be able to do it, given some time, and if it's not perfect, then she’ll have an even more unique sound she can sing with,” Julia chuckled as she carefully inspected the old brass-plated steel relic.  “Yeah, I’m remembering this now… back in '66 there was a wreck outside of Lake Hurst as they were dragging a bunch of old steamers off to Mount Oliver.  The engines decided they weren’t gonna go quietly and they fought back.  Rocked themselves back and forth on the tracks so hard that they broke one of the rails free and dragged the whole consist off the tracks.  You should have seen the pile up, it was spectacularly defiant, had the line north out of Lake Hurst blocked completely for three days and bottlenecked for another week.  I was investigating the wreck site one night and I saw this Southern Pacific Mark-5 Class Mikado lying on his side at the back of the pile up.  Since nobody was paying attention to us, we sat there and talked through basically the whole night.  His name was Vincent, and when the sun was starting to rise he told me to take his whistle and keep it as a reminder, not just of him but of all his brothers and sisters in steam that were being culled for their apparent inefficiency and ineffectiveness.  I kept his number plate too, number 750, that should be around here somewhere too...”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:08 pm

"The glass ones are the only ones that are reused for milk, as far as I know. I think it's something in the plastic that they can't just reuse them as they are." Cat said and looked around a little "Should we get anything else?" She asked curiously. 

~~~
"Tea, please" Starr said and smiled "Would you like any help with that?" She asked, offering her help since he was just one person and there would be four glasses.

~~~
Gus listened to her story, feeling sad for the engines that had crashed rather than letting themselves be taken away without a fight. "I think I saw that right beside this whistle" He said, going over to pull the plate number and dust it off then bring it over to her. "You should hang this somewhere, maybe write his story, or get someone to write it while you tell it and put it with the number. If more people understood, they might not be so willing to discard the old engines."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:08 am

“Oh, okay, that actually seems really smart now that you explained it like that,” Nathan said, smiling a bit wider as he looked around then curiously again.  “Uhh... What kind of bakery treats and such do you guys have here in America other than cookies?”

~~~
“If you’d like to, Starr, I won’t stop you,” Mr. Iverson chuckled.  “Besides, Elena kept a stockpile of tea with so many flavors I’d never be able to remember a fraction of them anyways, so it’s probably best that you come and pick for yourself.  What about you Jim?  What do you fancy?”

“Well for an outsider like me,” he chuckled.  “I guess I can’t go wrong with starting local.  I’ll have some of that cider as well, if you don’t mind.”

“Not at all, should be just a few minutes before everything is ready,” Mr. Iverson said as he gestured for Starr to join him in the kitchen.

~~~
“Yeah, you know, that’s actually an amazing idea, I should do that...” Julia said with a reminiscent sigh as she ran her fingers reverently over the raised bronze numbers on Vincent's old ID plate, the sight and the feeling of what some would consider an insignificant piece of metal taking her back to that night as the guide rod she was working on cooled harmlessly on the anvil.  “He was built in New Orleans in 1921,” she started, leaning back against the table and gazing aimlessly between the number plate and Vincent's old whistle.  “He served as a mixed traffic engine all along the gulf coast and through the south west until the late thirties.  He was leased by the US Army Corps on October 15th, 1939 and all the way to the last day of the war and beyond he served this country moving munitions and troop trains from Chicago and Detroit to San Francisco, Los Angeles and Sacramento, though after the war ended he was mostly taking those trains back the other way, bringing returning soldiers back to their families.  Still he worked day in and day out without complaining, even though he was hauling so much traffic that he had to be overhauled once every single year just because of how many miles he clocked and because he was wearing his joints out by working so hard.  When the lease was allowed to expire on January 1st, 1946, he was given back to the SP and from there he got moved back to local freight service.  He did that sort of work in the southwest and the west coast until he was retired and forgotten in 1957, and left in a boneyard until 1966 when he was getting hauled off and decided to organize a defiant last stand.  He was a war veteran, and some might say he’s not as much of a vet as humans are, or as the locomotives we built and sent to Britain who were actually getting shot at and killed, but I say that’s bullsh#t.  In my mind he's as much of a vet as anyone else, man or machine.  He served the armed forces of this country honorably and without recognition or gratitude for over six straight years, and how did our country thank him?  By sidelining him because he was a bit less convenient to use to do work and then condemning him to death, just like we did with so many others.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:51 pm

"Let's see what they have here" Cat said, reaching for his hand again to take him to the bakery section to see what this store had there. 
(I don't know what they had in that time in a store.)
~~~
Starr chuckled and went to the kitchen with him to help with the drinks. She found the tea and started making her cup. "Thank you." She said, looking over to him as he fixed the cider. "For hiring Jim to work here, and for making us feel so welcome already."
~~~
Gus listened to her tell the story quietly, reaching over to pat her shoulder when she finished. "He was a vet, he worked as hard for our country in the way that he could as anyone else from that time. As much as the women did to keep munitions made for the men on the front lines." He paused then nodded a little "Stories like his should be told, to more than just those of us who already know the value of the old trains. It would take more than just one trains' story to fill a book, but then, there are some still left that remember enough." He said, more to himself than her. He was thinking out loud at that point.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:28 pm

(Yeah, I dunno either, can't find much period data on that, soooo... WING IT!)
"Ohh, you guys have hot buns here too?" Nathan asked excitedly as his gaze caught some glazed cinnamon rolls in the warm cabinet for the baked goods.

~~~
"Ohh, my pleasure Starr," Mr. Iverson replied happily.  "Your fiancé was very well qualified and looking for work, and I was looking for someone just like him.  And lucky us, you turned out to be quite qualified yourself, and I'm certain that you'll soon be able to find a way to make yourself as busy and useful as anyone else around here."

~~~
"Yeah, you know what, I think we aught to make that happen," Julia said with a grin.  "Honest to God, we've got Vincent's story, plus Helen, Sam, Duck, Malcom, Rosie, Jenny, and Frankie.  That's probably enough for us to write a book on, or at least a first edition of some kind."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:02 am

"Hot buns? Oh, cinnamon rolls" Cat said and nodded, going over to get four of them in a bag. "These will be good." She chuckled and looked to him with a smile.
~~~
Starr looked to him and chuckled "Well, that's one thing I was wanting to talk to you about. If we could use one of the buildings as a clinic for me to work in. I could take people from this side of town as well as the workers here to have enough business." 
~~~
Gus nodded and chuckled softly "Yeah, we do have them and their stories, if they are willing to let them be told. Have to find a typewriter or something to get them written down and sent to a publishing company or something. How do you get books printed?"

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:18 pm

"You like them too?" Nathan said with a smile that slowly turned into a solemn frown.  "My mom used to make these all the time, they were amazing..."

~~~
"Really?  You want to set up a real clinic here again?" Mr. Iverson asked in surprise.  "Wow, that's... that's actually an amazing idea.  Uhh... I don't know of any buildings the railroad has that would be good to use for that, at least not off the top of my head... But I'm sure that there would be a suitable place for something like that to get set up in the main station terminal building.  From what I've seen and been told, it was still used and maintained up until a few years ago as a sort of mini-mall, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get some of those spaces renovated enough so that they're presentable and we can set something up."

~~~
"Well Corey is a bit of a writer," Julia said.  "He actually works off and on for the Fort Fairfax Informant, the city newspaper and he's got his own typewriter, so maybe he could be our designated writer for this set of stories?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:48 am

"Who doesn't?" Cat asked with a grin then frowned and hugged him when he spoke of his mom. "Remember the good things, and that they love you. No matter what else, think of those good things." She said softly.

~~~
Starr smiled and nodded "That's basically what the others were saying, but we had to talk to you to make it 'official' in a way so that we could plan something." She said happily. She would grab her tea and Jim's cider so he could get the other two glasses. 

~~~
Gus smiled at that and nodded "Yeah, we should talk to him, see if he wants to get in on this." He said cheerfully.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:31 am

Nathan was quiet for a moment as he leaned into Cat's hug gratefully, then sighed heavily and said "I-I try to... I miss them so much... I don't even know if they're okay or not..."

~~~
"Ahh, I see, well I'm glad to see that everyone is thinking ahead like that," Mr. Iverson replied as he collected his and Dirk's cider and headed back into the family room with the others.

~~~
"Oh I'm sure he will," she laughed as she took the rail she was working on and placed it back inside the forge to heat it back up again.  "He should be around here somewhere if you want to ask him.  Last I saw he was heading out to work on the coaches with Roger."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:13 am

"Maybe they will have some news when we get back?" Cat said gently. "Good or bad, it will be best to know, that way you can figure out what to do next."

~~~
Starr smiled and handed Jim his cup before sitting next to him. "Yes, we want to build a life together." 

~~~
"Alright, thanks" Gus said, giving a wave then heading out to find Corey and Roger. "Hey, Corey, you still out here?"

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:35 pm

"Y-yeah, I hope it'll be good news though..." Nathan said softly, shuddering a little as he squeezed Cat tightly for comfort.

~~~
"Well not to brag, but I'd say this is probably a pretty good place to go about that," Dirk chuckled.  "Small community, great people, hopefully a steady career soon enough."

"At least if I have anything to say about it," Mr. Iverson added.  "So Starr, would you mind explaining to me a bit more about what your medical qualifications are and what you're trained in?"

~~~
"Huh?" Corey's voice called from a few cars down the line.  "Uhh yeah, who is it?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Cat held him close as long as he wanted to be held. She glanced around though, checking to see if Connie was back and that no one was taking special interest in them.
~~~
Starr smiled and nodded, agreeing with him then explaining about her training and plans for the clinic here.
~~
"Gus" He called, coming down to the car they were in and climbing up to look around a bit then gave a low whistle. "You guys are making this place look good again." He said, touching some of the woodwork then shaking his head and looking to Corey again. "I was talking to Julie and we had an idea, but we need your help with it."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:47 am

Nathan soon enough calmed and pulled back from Cat as he glanced around and nobody seemed to be taking any real interest in them.

About then, Connie peeked around the end of the aisle and said “You guys about ready to head back to the train?”

“Oh, uhh…” Nathan said, seemingly caught a bit by surprise as he glanced to Cat then back to Connie and nodded.  “Yeah, I think I am.”

~~~
“Wow, that really is impressive, Starr, your parents must be incredibly proud of you,” Mr. Iverson complimented the young surgeon about her achievements.  “And that sounds like a fantastic idea to start revitalizing the station terminal.  I think I even know of a good place inside the building where we could set up an operation like that and have it fit rather nicely.”

~~~
“Oh really?  Wow, thanks,” Corey said as he straightened up and looked around a bit, then turned back to Gus.  “It hasn’t been too tough, but it’s no cake-walk either.  What is it I can help you guys with?”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:06 am

Cat released him when he pulled away and smiled then turned to look at Connie at her words "Yeah, we were just coming to find you." She said as she grabbed the basket and headed over to her. "We found some cinnamon rolls, cookies and milk." 

~~~
Starr flushed at the praise, dipping her head then nodding at his words. Her parents would be proud not only of her book skills, but her finding love as well. She looked to Jim and smiled then looked back to Mr. Iverson "That sounds perfect, we can look it over and see what I have to do tomorrow to get it set up and able to run."

~~~
"We wanted to get the stories of the engines wrote down in a book, try to get people out there to understand that the engines aren't just scrap metal." Gus said, frowning at the use of those words then shaking it off. "Julie knows one story and we have the engines that were rescued to get their stories if they are willing. That might be enough to start with at least."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:41 am

“Oh wow, aren’t you guys smart?” Connie chuckled as she took the basket from Cat and headed to check out with the two kids following close behind her.  “The rolls here are amazing, you’re lucky I’ve got some of my own stuff to keep me distracted, otherwise you might have to fight me off of them.”

~~~
“Certainly, and since we don’t have enough locomotives operational yet to need all of the engineers and firemen that we already have onboard,” Mr. Iverson added.  “I’m certain that it would be easy to convince a few of the other guys to help you out with the labor.  I’ve got a few extra young people in mind that I might hire either on short hours or hire part-time in the next few days just to have some extra hands around here and to have some folks to work as brakemen.  Having a professional clinic here on the south side of town again is something we’ve gone without for far too long, and I’m sure the community will be overjoyed to hear that news.”

~~~
“Oh wow, really?  We’re gonna write a book about the engines?” Corey asked in surprise and a bit of excitement.  “And you guys want me to write it?  I-I mean, of course I’d love to do it, but… you think I’m that good?  You think I’d be able to make something like that look and sound professional enough to be respectable?”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:48 am

"We got one for each of us, should we get more while we are here?" Cat asked, her cheeks going pink at being called smart like that. "Should we get some for everyone back at the station?" 

~~~
Starr smiled and looked to Jim, taking his hand to squeeze it gently. It looked like their dreams would come true here, even as small as it was here. "That sounds perfect, I will be glad to fill that role for the people here." She just hoped they weren't going to be upset at having a female doctor instead of a male one. 

~~~
"Julie recommended you and I trust her judgement." Gus said with a nod. He had no idea how the other man wrote, since he hadn't been here long enough to have read anything by him yet. "I'm sure you can do them justice, you have the heart for them."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:40 am

“You know what, yeah, sure, let’s do it,” Connie said with a shrug and a laugh.  “We’re already getting food for Helen, Duck, and ourselves on this trip, why leave the others back home out?”  She smiled and simply had the young man running the counter get her an additional full dozen box of the hot Cinnamon Rolls as she started getting the rest of what they’d picked out rung up.

~~~
“And I’m glad be here with you to help support you as you fill it,” Jim gently squeezing Starr's hand in return.  “You know that I’ll be right here with you for any support you might want or need along the way, and JT as well, he loves you almost as much as I do.”

~~~
“Oh wow, really?  Jeez, I’ll have to thank her for that,” Corey said, the young man's cheeks blushing a bit rosey at the praise.  “And yeah, I guess I definitely do have a passion for these trains, I’d be glad to write up something like that.  It’s the same way with basically anyone in the Bucket Falls Valley,t ask around.  This whole region was founded by the railroads built to support the mining industry.  Coal, iron ore, tin, sulfur, phosphates, tungsten, and Lena’s is sitting on the biggest deposit of zinc in the northwest.  These towns were built by the railroads, and to the folks around here, trains are people, just… a little bigger and less squishy.”  He chuckled a bit and added “Oh man, I just remembered, I’ve got a friend who works some of the big drilling equipment there, and he said that he found traces of a vein of silver around Thanksgiving.  From his experience he could tell it was pretty rich stuff, and when he reported it to the company they made him the foreman of his own digging crew and they told him to track that vein down and pull out every gram of silver ore he can find.  They’ve only got about a cubic yard of ore out so far that’s got silver in it, but he says that it’s a branch vein and it keeps getting bigger.  He’s convinced that there’s at least fifty million dollars worth of ore in the main deposit and that he’s gonna hit that around New Year’s, and I don’t need to even explain how amazing that would be for everyone around here.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Cat grinned at that "I'll get them" She called and ran off to grab the dozen and bring the case back to the register happily. 

~~~
Starr chuckled softly and moved to give Jim a kiss for his words. She knew he would be there for her, but it was still nice to hear him say the words. "I love you too, and will support you as well as I can." 

~~~
Gus chuckled at the joke, nodding as Corey spoke then listening as he went on to talk about his friend. "That will be good for him and for the trains and towns around here." He agreed happily.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:49 am

Connie smiled and watched as Cat ran off briefly, then brought back a box with a dozen more of those amazing hot cinnamon rolls.  A few minutes later she was done with the transaction, thanked the cashier, then handed a bit of what they’d gotten to each of the kids to carry while she took care of most of it and started heading for the door.  Oddly enough, she had left her jacket mostly unzipped and her hood down as she opened the door and stepped outside, her gaze continually darting around them, but in a way where you couldn’t tell unless you were close to her and watching her eyes.

(You wanna play some temporary cretin or two who might be getting some nasty ideas about how to take advantage of these three?)

~~~
“That’s what we all gotta do now,” Dirk added, earning a nod of agreement from Mr. Iverson.  “Lucky for us it’s a tight community around here and most of them are standing with us, wanting to get the railroad fully operational as soon as possible.  Hopefully Helen's boiler patch will hold up to a new inspection and we can get her rolling soon enough.  Oh yeah, that reminds me, Mr. Iverson.  Julia said that you can probably schedule for the inspector to come back in two days or so, because she'll have all the work Helen needs done by then, and from what I heard we can have at least seven or eight cars of the California Zephyr consist totally cleaned and ready for service by Thursday, and have the whole thing done by next Sunday.”

“Alright, that sounds wonderful, thank you Dirk,” Mr. Iverson replied with a smile.  “I’ll give Larry Dowden a phone call and see if he’s free on Sunday, and if you guys are confident about that timeline for the passenger cars, then I might start advertising and selling advance tickets tomorrow or so for passenger rail service starting on Friday.”

“Man, the work sure is flying by, isn’t it sir?  I’m honestly shocked by how much we're managing to get done with such a raggedy start.”

“Hopefully it’ll only get easier from here on out for all of us,” Jim chimed in, softly kissing Starr’s cheek in return.

~~~
“No kidding,” Corey chuckled.  “And if they do hit a motherlode like that, I’m pretty sure that Lena’s management is gonna hand out some generous bonuses, make some charity donations, and then reinvest most of that profit back into their company.  They’d probably expand their operations here by Fort Fairfax, get a ton of new equipment, and then maybe set up another operation entirely in the mountains just east of here.  Old prospector’s tales have told about ‘enough silver to finance another industrial revolution, enough iron to build it, and enough coal to power the next three', which might be a bit of hyperbolizing, but it'll still mean they’ll need lots more workers and equipment coming in, and lots more loaded hopper cars heading out, which is a win-win for the railroad and the local economy as a whole.”  He laughed and shook his head a bit, then said “But yeah, getting back on track, I’d be honored to write a bit of an anthology about the trains we’ve got here and have known in the past, that’d be a fascinating and really interesting project.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Cat eagerly took the bags she had been given, following Connie out of the store. She frowned and pressed closer to Nathan and Connie when some guys came over to them. 

"What do we have here?" One guy asked as he leered at the females, despite Cat still being a child. 

~~~
Starr smiled as she listened to the others talk about the business and the newer aspects of it. "I hope all goes well" She said happily. 

~~~
Gus nodded again and looked around the car then tilted his head "You want my help out here restoring the cars? Can't do much else till the others get back and we can make a run."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content