The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It's the year 1970, and the American railroad industry is modernizing at an incredible pace.  Steam locomotives as a species are being killed off in preference of more reliable and efficient diesel-electric locomotives.  Thousands of the old iron giants are being dragged off to scrap yards and smelting plants in long, ominous funeral trains, their eyes wide and pleading for help that will never come to any human they pass by on their way to their inevitable deaths.  To their old crews, these locos are family, but to the industry, they're now a liability, worth nothing more than their weight in scrap steel, at a rate of about forty seven dollars per metric ton.

In northern Washington State, trouble is brewing in the small railroad city of Fort Fairfax.  The local railroad company has been run out of business by the mega-tycoon that is the Union Pacific.  With the rail line shut down and deteriorating from years of disuse, the only way in and out of the valley was via the main 'highway', Route Seven, but on December 8th, 1970, heavy snow and ice caused a rock face in the mountains to collapse, completely burying three miles of Route Seven under millions of tons of granite boulders, snow, and ice near the town of Saint Josef.  Luckily only ten people were killed, but the road was rendered completely impassable, practically cutting off the entire valley of Bucket Falls from the outside world.  (There are other roads out of the valley, but Route Seven was the only one that was remotely safe in winter conditions, and the only route capable of supporting large trucks in any weather)  The only hope for Fort Fairfax, as well as the neighboring towns of Thomas Canyon, Josha's Cradle, Simonville, and Dunk Town, and the hamlet of Elena Junction, was reopening the old railroad.  The two main industries in the canyon, Dyken's Coal Mine and the Lena's Mineral Mining Company, were among the first to get onboard the bandwagon of reopening the line, followed closely by the Dunk Town Sawmill and Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals.  The companies could all theoretically survive through the winter by temporarily shutting down their operations to save capital, then reopening after the spring thaw would allow for Route Seven to be cleared and rebuilt, but in a rare stroke of plain humanity all four of the company CEOs decided that the railroad reopening would not only be good news for all of them, but more importantly, would be good news for all the people living in the valley.  With the support from the local industries and the residents of the valley, a group of citizens from Fort Fairfax formed the Full Bucket Line Preservation Society, which soon enough became the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  The initial investments from the industrial companies provided the FBLRR with most of the initial capital they needed to get most of the line repaired to the point of being safely usable, but that still left them with a rather serious problem.

What the hell good is a railroad with no locomotives and no rolling stock?

When the line was first shut down, the Union Pacific bought up everything worth recovering at the bankruptcy auction, which included all the locomotives and nearly all of the rolling stock.  There were a few cars left behind scattered around the line, but all needed serious work if they were even salvageable at all, and even all of them put together weren't going to be enough to run the railroad with.  Luckily most of the old railroad's employees were local residents, so there was no shortage of qualified workers, but the company was quickly running out of cash, and they still didn't even have any locomotives.

And so the search began for the trains that could help to save the valley of Bucket Falls.  For the size of the line they would be trying to run, starting off they would need at least one or two small locomotives for shunting work and pulling maintenance trains (probably small steam tank engines or diesel switchers), two or three mid-sized locos for general freight traffic and short, local passenger trains, and one large, powerful main-line locomotive for bringing the big freight trains in and out of the valley, as well as pulling the fast passenger services.  It's a tall order, but hopefully the folks at the FBLRR can find some of what they need without breaking the bank.

And hopefully the engines themselves will be willing to cooperate after being neglected and cast aside for so long.

Its the nature of time that the old ways must give in
Its the nature of time that the new ways come in sin
When the new meets the old it always ends the ancient ways
But as history told, the old ways go out in a blaze

~~~~~

Okay, so if you can't tell, this is a world where many of the vehicles that humans build and use are sentient beings, sort of like in "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "Cars" (if Cars had humans).  They have a fair bit of control over themselves, but still need human crew to fully operate most of the time.  They do have faces, but not Thomas-style faces where it covers most of the front of their body.  They're much less intrusive, being just eyes and a mouth somewhere that makes sense on the front of their body, like this:
As sentient beings, they've all got their own personalities and feelings, most have names, they can feel pain and other physical sensations with surprising sensitivity.  Their bodies are a bit flexible, but not quite to the extent of the characters in "Cars".  When a locomotive and its crew are familiar with one another and have formed a tight bond, one can expect to see significantly better physical performance out of both.  The mental health of a sentient vehicle has a significant and direct impact on their physical capabilities, meaning a happy, satisfied train with a good crew that they're close to will tend to perform significantly better than their design specifications say they should be able to, while a depressed or angry locomotive or one with a crew that they're always at odds with will have substantially worse general performance, or may even straight-up refuse to work at all.

Please keep in mind for the vehicles that most of what the FBLRR is going to be using/getting their hands on is going to be old, outdated, and generally unwanted equipment.  Very little, if anything, is going to be new or modern (for the present time period of 1970) so try to keep to trains that were built between the 1940s and the early '60s, or were being retired from service in 1966 at the latest.  Trucks could probably be a bit newer, like '68 or '69 (giggity), but toss in some older ones as well for added historical nostalgia stuff.

Character Forms:

Human:

Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Personality:
Relevant skills:
Recommended/Desired/Current job:
Other:

Trains:

Name: (If they were ever given one, or can remember their name)
Class: (The exact type of train they were.  Please be specific.  If you have an idea about what you want from the character, do some searching online to find something that might match what you want)
Personality:
Picture (Optional):
Other:

Trucks:

Name: (Again, if they ever got one)
Personality:
Picture: (Optional)
Other:

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:53 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Minor gramatical revisions, added a short bit of symbolic poetry)
Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Re: The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Starrnico on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:50 am

Starr chuckled at that and nodded "Sure, to the den of witchcraft and metallurgy." She said with a grin. It was hard to wait with Jim, but they did try their best. 
~~~
Cat smiled at that and pulled the blanket a little closer around herself, willing to wait since she knew they would stop. 

Lilly nodded too and looked ahead at the tracks. She was glad Rosie was doing so well even with not being run in so long and her age. She reached over an patted the cab wordlessly.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)
Gold Pieces: 15 g 42 s 86 c

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:05 am

“Alright then, maybe we’ll get to meet the little sorceress herself in her lair,” Dirk chuckled as he led the way back out into the crew barracks, then headed through a another door on the other side of the room.  The place they entered into looked like a hybrid between a machine shop, some piece of a steel mill, and a hardcore blacksmith's personal workroom.  There were too many large, robust workbenches and tables to count, none of which had too much free space on top of them as they were cluttered with tools and various different current projects.  There was also a impressively-sized forge against the outside wall of the room with at least two large anvils near it, one of which appeared to have been built by hand from cut up sections of reclaimed rails.  It was also very noticeably warmer in this room than the rest of the building, probably because Julia had the forge lit and was presently pounding away at an orange glowing steel bar, no doubt working to shape it into the proper form as one of Sam's new guide rails.

“Heh, speak of the devil,” Jim chuckled as he looked around the room in a bit of amazement.

~~~
Rosie snickered softly and blushed a little at the nonverbal praise Lilly was giving her as she kept pulling against the heavy hopper cars.  As Lilly gradually advanced the throttle and gave her more power to work with, she would soon enough bring them up to a steady speed of fifty eight miles per hour in notch six, which was only 75% power.  She could easily have gotten them up faster with a bit more power, but that wasn’t really necessary right now as they weren’t in that much of a hurry.

“So while we’re on the way back, you guys want to keep on working on some of that math stuff with me?” Connie asked towards the kids curiously.

“Yeah, sure Miss Connie, I’d be happy to get some work done,” Nathan replied with a smile.

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
I AM THE SALMON MODERATOR
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Starr looked around in wonder as they entered the workshop. It was incredible and somehow perfect for the working girl. "There are a lot of projects in here."
~~~
Lilly watched the tracks as they drove further along. She would try to keep track of it while Conny helped the kids.

Cat shrugged and nodded. She wasn't as enthusiastic about working on math. "I guess" she said softly then looked to Nathan again.

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:22 am

“Yeah, you bet there are,” Julia chuckled as she looked up for a moment from her pounding and lifted her goggles up onto her forehead with her pair of black, sooty, very well-used welder's gloves.  “I’ve honestly lost track of all the different little projects I’ve got hiding in here half-finished, but I know I’m gonna get them all finished eventually.  First thing's first though; I gotta get Helen’s boiler patched up so she can get re-inspected and get to work, then finish building Sam's piston rod guide rails…”

“Yeah, no kidding, you sure have a lot going on in here,” Jim laughed in surprise and a bit of awe.  “You know, you’re probably the combination of all the very last characteristics I’d expect of a professional welder and metallurgist, and I mean no offense by any of this: you’re young, a woman, pretty, Japanese, and you're positively tiny, both in stature and your figure.  I’m guessing those curves are hiding a lot of muscle, aren’t they?”

“Ohh, I don’t know, they might be…” Julia chuckled as she looked down at the big, clearly heavy and still hot steel rod she was working on and grumbled a bit.  Apparently it had cooled too much for her liking as she set her hammer down and heaved the huge chunk of steel up in her petite hands and practically chucked it back into the forget to heat it again.  “And don’t worry, no offense taken, I’m happy to break the mold in as many ways as I can.”

Jim was practically without words at this point and simply laughed, as did Dirk and Julia after a moment.

~~~
“Oh come on, buck up girl,” Connie chuckled to the unexcited teen as she got down onto the floor of Rosie’s cab with the two kids.  “It’s not nearly as bad as you think it is.  Just be glad you’re not having to do a year and a half of College-level Calculus to get your Master’s in Engineering like I did.  Honestly this stuff can even be made pretty fun if you’re willing to put your mind to it.”

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:29 am

Starr watched the other female and listened to her speak, smiling and nodding a little. She leaned against Jim when he joined in the laughter. "It's good to break the mold sometimes" She said softly, her own position proved she thought that way, she was happy for the other female too. She knew how satisfying it was to find and be able to do something that you liked.

~~~
Cat sighed softly and nodded, looking to the work they would have to do. "Dad did try to make it fun sometimes." She said, smiling a little at a memory "We had cookies when we went over fractions."

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:12 am

“Amen to that, sister,” Julia laughed in agreement.  “I take it you’ve been doing a bit of that yourself?”

“Oh yeah, she’s a fully qualified trauma surgeon at the ripe young age of twenty-one,” Jim said proudly.

Julia whistled a bit in admiration at that and said “Wow, that's pretty stellar, Starr, nice work.  And no, I will not apologize for my awful humor.”

“You won’t get any flak from me, Jules,” Dirk laughed.  “We both know I dish out my fair share of groaners and eye-rollers as well.”

~~~
“Well that sounds like a pretty good idea,” Connie agreed with a smile.  “I don’t have any on me right now, unfortunately, but I think I could be persuaded to grab some while we're stopped in Simonville.”  She shrugged and laughed a bit as she added “Visual teaching techniques seem like a decent excuse to go get junk food, at least to me, right?”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:48 am

Starr chuckled at the joke, nodding "I have heard that one before, but it's alright. Good jokes are fine with me." She said to reassure her and the others that she could take a joke, at least ones that didn't hurt people. "It is pretty stellar after all." 
~~~
Cat flushed and dipped her head a little, though she nodded and laughed softly. "Yeah, it is a good excuse to help with math at most levels." She agreed. It even helped with addition and subtraction...subtraction was the best, or had been for her.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 am

“Yeah, I really agree,” Julia replied, checking on the steel rod she was hearing back up and repositioning it a bit inside the forge.  “And God knows that one of these days I’m gonna slip up and crush or burn the ever-living crap out of one of my hands or my foot, and when that day comes you can bet I’ll be overjoyed to have you here to put me back together.”

~~~
“That’s true, but its especially helpful at the levels where you guys are at right now,” Connie added.  “Sometimes even I find myself mentally visualizing tricks like that when I’m doing certain calculations in my head or trying to memorize something.”

“I think that sounds like a good idea…” Nathan said meekly, his bashful smirk doing a good job of betraying the fact that he was agreeing largely so he could get to have an extra snack as well.

Connie could easily tell what the timid young boy was thinking, but smiled and said “Don’t worry Nate, I’ll get us some cookies to work with in Simonville, and you guys can snack on those until I get a chance in the next few days to grab Dirk and make a batch or two of good cookies back home.  Sound like a good deal?”

Nathan's eyes lit up a bit as he listened and he blushed initially, but quickly and eagerly nodded his agreement.

~~~
“Hey Gus?” Ashley called out in the main room of the workshed, gradually following the new engineer's replies until she eventually found him.  “Uhh, kind of a… really random question, but... Sam's whistle is supposed to be mounted up on the top of her boiler a couple feet forward from her cab, right?”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:12 pm

"Well, here's hoping you don't, but I will always do what I can to help if I am needed" Starr said gently and smiled at the other female. She wondered what else they would be shown while they were in this part of the property.
~~~
Cat smiled and nodded "That sounds really good. Do you know how to make peanut butter cookies?" She asked curiously. She really wanted to try some of those again, most of the time they only got sugar cookies.
(I wanted to say chocolate chip, but those weren't created yet, lol)
~~~
Gus looked to Ashley and tilted his head a little at her odd question. "Ashley, Is this some kind of joke question?" He had to ask, since they had just had inspection and only the boiler had been pointed out as a problem.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:28 pm

“Well you’ll fit right in around here,” Dirk said.  “That’s basically describing everyone around here right now.  There’s a lot of stuff that has to get done, so folks are stepping up and just getting done whatever they can that they’re proficient at, and it’s really something amazing.”

~~~
“Oh yeah, of course, and we might use you guys as guinea pigs for a bit of an experiment that Dirk's been formulating for a while,” Connie replied.  “He's been talking about chopping Hershey’s chocolate up into a bunch of little pieces and baking those into a batch of cookies, maybe along with peanut butter as well, and having a wider test audience would be pretty useful.  I’ve also been looking for an excuse to make a batch of my grandma's Snickerdoodle recipe as well, so there’s that to look forward to as well.”

~~~
(Actually it was only Sam's boiler that was actually inspected, and it was only her piston rods that were the problems.  Helen was the one with boiler issues, Sam's was in pristine condition)
“UHhh… no, this isn’t a joke…” Ashley said, seeming unusually not hyper or bubbly and genuinely worried.  “I was climbing on and around Sam just a minute ago chatting with her and I saw that up by her cab there was this big metal pipe that just opened upwards into nothing.  It looked really weird and when I asked Sam about it she said it should be there.  I told her it wasn’t there and now she’s totally wigging out…”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Starr smiled at that and nodded a little again. She looked to Jim and leaned against his side, loving that they were here and these people were all so kind and that they seemed to be good. 
~~~
Cat grinned at the mention of chocolate, that just sounded so good to put into a cookie. "Chocolate and peanut butter? So it's like a Reese's cookie? That sounds delicious." She said excitedly. She loved peanut butter and chocolate, even if she hadn't had the combo often, it was still her favorite.
(Reese's, 1920, whoo)
~~~
Gus got up to go to the shed and see what was going on, "Whatever's going on, I'm sure we can fix it. Don't worry der Racker" He said with quiet confidence.
(der Racker: Similar to the English word prankster or tyke, this word describes a child to likes to play (harmless) pranks on people and generally cause mischief. Yeah, she's already made an impression, lol)

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:18 am

Jim smiled and leaned gently against his fiancé as well while Julia inspected the steel bar in her forge, then removed it.  She grabbed her hammer again and got right back to work, a bit of sparks flying with every hit she made on the glowing orange piece of steel.

“So you guys want to continue going with this tour?” Dirk asked.  “There’s still a fair bit left to see here in the main building, and then we could finish off by heading into town to visit Mr. Iverson in person.”

~~~
(Oh yeah, we’re saved!)
“Yeah, you know what?  I guess it is kinda like that,” Connie laughed in realization.  “Well shoot, now I’m even more excited for this.  I’d love to have you guys' help with making them as well if you’d be willing to promise not to eat all the ingredients before I get a chance to make them into cookies.”

Nathan blushed a bit, but nodded his understanding and agreement as he and Rosie both laughed a bit.

~~~
(Oooh, that’s clever, I like it!)
In contrast to Gus' confidence, Ashley didn’t seem convinced that this would be an easily fixed situation, and his clever (and accurate) native German nickname only served to confuse her a bit as she led him back over to his distressed engine.

Ashley hadn’t been exaggerating with her description of Sam's current state, as she was clearly a complete nervous wreck at the moment.  Her gaze was darting nervously back and forth around the shed and her drive wheels and pistons were noticeably rattling from anxiety.  When she saw Ashley again and caught sight of her engineer close behind her, it didn’t seem to do much of anything to ease her very stressed and worried state of mind.  “Oh my God, G-Gus…” she practically whimpered nervously.  “I-It’s gone, my freaking whistle is just gone.  Crap, how could we be so stupid, this is such a disaster!  Who even knows how long it's been gone?  It probably got stolen by some scavenger one night while I was asleep at the salvage yard.  What are we gonna do?”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:21 am

Starr nodded and smiled softly "Yeah, that sounds good." She said happily. "What else is there to see here?" She asked curiously. She did want to see more of this place and what it had.
~~~
Cat smiled at that and nodded. "I would love to help make cookies. I used to do that with mom when I was allowed in the kitchens." She said, glad for the good memory of her mom. She looked to Nathan and touched his arm "I can help you, if you are worried." 
~~~
Gus walked over to Sam to lay a hand against her side. "It will be alright Sam." He said gently before moving to get up and look at the place where the whistle was supposed to be. He looked to see how bad the pipe was to it and how much trouble it would be to fix it and get a replacement whistle. "They have other whistles here, we can get one of those for you. Nothing to get too upset about Sam."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:24 am

“Well there's the furnace and boiler rooms in the back,” Dirk replied.  “And the roundhouse is over there as well.  There’s also the kitchen and the rec room nearby here, if you guys want to head there and then go back.”

~~~
“Y-yeah, my m-mom used to let me help with that kind of stuff too…” Nathan said, trying to seem happy but inside he was falling apart from missing his parents so much.  His young mind still saw them as sort of invincible superheroes, so he still believed they were alive, even as unlikely as it had seemed at the time.  He looked towards Cat at her touch and her kind words and smiled a little, inside and outside as well, and said “Ohh, uhh… Y-yeah, I'd like that Cat, thank you.”

~~~
Luckily the steam feed pipe that had once led to Sam's whistle was still in good shape.  The device hadn’t been cut off with a torch or a grinder, but rather it had apparently just been unscrewed and removed in one piece.  Of course, this is probably what would have needed to happen for Sam to have stayed asleep when it was stolen, otherwise the noise and the pain would certainly have woken her up.  “W-wait, they have extra whistles here?...” Sam asked in surprise.  “Well, I guess that’ll solve the problem on a practical level, but I mean… you know an engine's whistle is part of their personality, what if the replacement I get doesn’t really fit who I am?... I mean, I know Julia's really talented, but I don’t think that she could build a Step-top Hancock 3-chime whistle for me, and I’m certain we won’t be able to find any of those just lying around with the budget we’ve got.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:46 am

Starr nodded and looked to Jim then back to Dirk "That sounds good" She said again. It did sound good, even if there was a bit of backtracking. 
~~~
Cat smiled and leaned closer to give him a hug. She was glad she could get him to give a real smile. "Your welcome" She said softly and looked to Connie to see what she wanted to do now.
~~~
"Yeah, your pipe looks good, we should just be able to find another whistle to put in place." Gus said then climbed down so Sam could see him easily "Don't worry, these people seem to have a lot of parts, they very well could have one in all those boxes we just went through. If you don't like it, we can replace it again once we get some revenue going and can find one that will work for you. I promise, even if it takes a little while, we will get you a whistle that will work for you."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:50 pm

“Alright, sounds good to me,” Dirk said with a smile as he led the way towards the connected kitchen and recreational room that served as the main socializing area for the railroad personnel here in the yards.  “So as you can see, we thankfully stocked up on all sorts of foodstuffs before this most recent storm came in and all the stores were empty,” he said as he showed the couple around a bit.  “There’s a TV, plenty of board games that everyone’s brought from all over the place, at least three of these radios still work, and most of that mountain of A-track tapes are actually music worth listening to.”

“Wow, this place looks more like a great community center than an old railroad maintenance building,” Jim laughed.  “This is amazing.”

~~~
Nathan smiled a bit wider and gladly accepted the hug Cat offered him, then followed the girl’s gaze to Connie to see what she wanted as well.

“Well if you guys are willing, maybe we can get back to work on something simple like addition and subtraction?” the older blonde girl offered.
(Want to drop these guys for now or skip to when they get to Simonville or what?)

~~~
Sam listened anxiously as Gus did his best to calm and reassure her about the situation, and gradually her wheels and pistons stopped their noisy shaking as she apparently did start to settle a bit.  “O-okay, Gus… I guess that sounds alright… thank you so much for being here for me, I’m such a nervous wreck now for whatever reason.  I’m certain there’s not many people in this world who are as committed and as understanding as you are with me, and who would be willing to put up with all the different kinds of crap that comes with a gal like me.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:58 am

Starr laughed softly at Jim's joke and nodded, this place was like it's own small community within the town, in more ways than just having a communal area to relax in. She guessed that happened when you had to live around and worked with other people.
~~~
(Yeah, we can skip them ahead to Simonville, unless you just want to drop them for now.)
~~~
Gus smiled and patted her side again. "You had something taken from you that is a part of who you are, it's understandable to be a little nervous, but these are good people here, they won't let you get hurt like that here. I like you Sam, I really don't mind being here to help make you feel better. You are my 'gal' and I want you to be happy. Now, I'm going to go find Julia (?) to ask if there's any whistles here that would fit or if we have to start looking for one, alright?"

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:54 am

(Gonna skip Rosie and crew to Simonville and reorder for better flow)
“Wow, very nice work so far, all four of you,” Connie said proudly as she sat up a bit to look out the front of Rosie's cab.  “You guys have all been great so far, I’m impressed.”  They had slowed down significantly and we’re crawling along at a pokey ten miles per hour as they crept into the freight marshalling yard in Simonville.  Even though it was only a little after four pm, this far north at this time of year it was already getting dark and the temperature was beginning to drop from “jeez, it’s really cold” back down towards “oh dear God, why is it allowed to be this cold?”

“Thank you, ma’am,” Rosie said bashfully as she contentedly trundled along with her heavy hopper train in tow.  “Glad to be of service once again.”

“Happy to have you, girl,” the blonde engineer-turned-math-tutor added.  “So I’m assuming that you two kids are going to want to come along with me as we go hunting for something to snack on.  Lilly, you gonna tag along too or are you going to stay with Rosie and the train?”

~~~
“And then last but not least…” Dirk said a few minutes later as he pushed open a large, disused door and flicked a few light switches on inside the chilly last room.  He had to wait a moment as the ancient florescent bulbs flickered slowly to life all across the ceiling, gradually illuminating the giant space laid out before them.  “We have the round house.  Twelve tracks here, each with a grease pit beneath them for getting under an engine for work and for draining away fluids.  Fueling lines, equipment for effecting light maintenance and repairs and cleaning the engines, and best of all, heated rails for the engines to sleep on.  Everything that they could want or need in a new home, and it’s finally going to be put back to use after so many years.”

“Wow, if it wasn’t for the mismatched engines, crews, and rolling stock,” Jim said in amazement.  “I honestly wouldn’t be able to tell that this wasn’t a professional operation you guys were starting up here.”

~~~
(Yeah, Julia would be who he aught to start with)
Sam noticeably calmed a fair bit more as Gus spoke to her so calmly and comfortingly, and eventually she let out a long sigh and replied “Alright,  thank you Gus.  You really do know just how to put me at ease again.  I-I’ll be here…”  She paused for a moment and looked up cross-eyed at  Ashley, who had just appeared hanging upside-down from above her face just like she’d done with Duck before.  Sam chuckled a bit and continued “…apparently being this little orangutan's jungle gym, whenever you find something.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:19 am

"I'll stay with Rosie, keep an eye on the load. With it this cold, someone could get it in their head to try to steal some for warmth." Lilly said gently and smiled at the three. "Just remember to bring me back something." She added with a wink. 

Cat stretched then nodded to the question, yeah she wanted to go along and help pick out their snack. 
~~~
Starr smiled as they looked at the roundhouse, it was really quite amazing what they had come up with for the startup company and she was glad to see they had so much to treat the engines so well. "This is incredible." She said softly then smiled at Dirk. 
~~~
Gus smiled then chuckled and looked up to Ashley, nodding. "Der Racker can certainly keep you company while I'm looking for Julia." He said then waved and turned to go look for the other female.  

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:12 pm

Connie chuckled and nodded her agreement as she got up and began getting herself ready to head outside again, taking another moment to look out the cab windows and gauge their location.  “Oooh, I know where we’re at!  Jerry's store is pretty close to here.  Lil', if you could stop in another… five and a half blocks that’d be perfect,” she asked as she headed back over to get her dry boots and jacket back on.

~~~
“Yeah, you can thank the Western Pacific for building these facilities in the thirties,” Dirk said.  “And then upgrading them in the late fifties.  And then I guess you can thank Union Pacific in a way for deciding that a rail line in this region wasn’t profitable enough to pick up where the WP left off, so they just left the rail lines and all the property to be owned by the cities.  Boy are they gonna be kicking themselves over that choice once we get ourselves on the map.  Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals in particular is going to be lining our pockets just as fast as we can shuffle tankers in and out of that plant.”

“I think we found the perfect place to start our life together, dear,” Jim said with a happy sigh as he gently leaned into her.

~~~
“Just hurry back before I start feeling the need to swat this lovable pest,” Sam grumbled, but with no real malice or weight behind those words as she puckered her lips and blew in Ashley's face, royally screwing up the rambunctious teen's hair and making her squeal a bit in surprise.

Gus would fairly easily find Julia just as Starr, Jim and Dirk had left her: standing at one of her anvils smacking the devil out of a superheated steel bar to form it into the proper shape she needed to make Sam's new piston rod guide rails.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:56 pm

Lilly smiled and looked ahead, counting down the blocks and slowing them as they got closer to where she wanted to stop as Cat put her coat and boots back on too. "Right, here we are" She said as they stopped where Connie had asked. 
~~~
Starr nodded and leaned against Jim then looked to him and kissed him gently "I think so too. I'm glad we decided to come here." She said happily. "This place is incredible."
~~~
Gus waited till she wasn't smacking the metal "Hey, Julia, I have a question for you" He said, hoping not to startle her too much. He didn't want to cause her to get hurt, he just wanted her attention for a moment.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:32 am

"Sweet, thanks Lilly, we shouldn't be too long," Connie said with a smile as she let Rosie come to a full stop, then opened the left side cab door and clambered down to the snowy ground.  To her pleasant surprise she found that there was a low, concrete freight platform there next to them, which gave her something very nice and solid to stand on under the snow.  As Nathan came down the ladder after her she reached up and scooped him up off Rosie's side, letting him ride piggy-back on her since he was light and she was more than strong enough to do it.  That plus he didn't have very good boots for walking in snow this deep, and his short legs would add another level of difficulty.  The young Canadian boy seemed to enjoy this position rather well, however, as Connie glanced back up towards Cat to watch her descend the ladder before she would turn around and begin making her way towards the nearby street.

~~~
"Yes, it truly is," Jim agreed.  "Wonderful people, a gorgeous landscape, and a fantastic place for us to both work doing what we love.  I mean, asking for anything more would just be greedy at this point."

He and Dirk both laughed a bit at that, then the ginger who'd been showing them around said "Well I think that about does it for the main building.  Nothing much of interest in any of the other structures, at least that we know of or that is presentable.  Most of them haven't even been opened in years, but anyways, you two want to head off and see if we can't find the Boss now?"

"I think that'd perfectly fitting," Jim said as the three of them got on their way.

~~~
Julia paused and glanced up at Gus curiously for a brief moment, then smiled and stuck the bar back into the forge before removing her work goggles and heading over towards the new engineer.  "And what can I do for you, Hansel?" she chuckled, leaning back against one of the tables as she looked him over and removed her heavy gloves as well.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:58 pm

Cat watched her get Nathan down and let him ride piggyback. She grinned at that then quickly climbed down to the ground to follow after Connie. She glanced back to wave to Lilly as Lilly closed the door to keep the warm air inside the cab. It didn't take long to reach the street like this, where there was less snow piled up.
~~~
Starr nodded and smiled as the men spoke. "Yes, that sounds good." She said, taking Jim's hand as they started walking out of the building to head for the offices.
~~~
Gus chuckled softly at the nickname. "Ashley noticed that Sam's whistle is gone, that freaked Sam out so I promised to ask about getting her a replacement." He said, explaining the situation for her. "Do you think we have anything that would work well for her here?"

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:30 pm

"C-Connie?... it's pretty dark out here..." Nathan said nervously as the group walked to the road and started heading along the plowed streets towards some destination that Connie had in mind.

"It's alright Nathan," she replied reassuringly as she seemed to be constantly scanning around herself a bit.  "If anything happens, you don't need to worry about it."

~~~
"Hey Sky, you ready to take a little stroll to see the boss?" Dirk asked as they reached the main room again.  "Jim and Starr want to meet up with Mr. Iverson in person."

~~~
"Wait, Sam's whistle is gone!?" Julia echoed in shock.  "Woah, that's... that's pretty major, yeah, I'd be freaking out too if I was her.  Ummm... I really don't know, I think there's something around here that I salvaged from a wreck site a couple years ago, but I'm certain it's gonna need some work if I didn't throw it out by accident yet..."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:19 am

Cat frowned at the fear the other two were showing and looked around herself, watching for anything that might be dangerous to them. She didn't like being afraid or having the others be afraid.
~~
Sky woke and looked to them at her name. "A stroll?" She asked with a chuckle "I'll be happy to take them to see Mr. Iverson." She said softly.
~~~
Gus nodded then shook his head a little "That's the way it was at that junkyard, they would take from what trains they could for spare parts if they were worth anything, whether the trains knew or were unaware." He said sadly "Let me know where to look and I'll start looking, I know you can't leave that rod in the forge or it'll be ruined."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:40 pm

There were a few somewhat shady-looking characters that seemed oddly interested in following and watching the three of them for a while, but they were able to reach Jerry's corner store unmolested.  "Alright guys," she said with a relieved sigh, setting Nathan down once they got inside the store (which was essentially like a Wawa before Wawa was a thing, just for reference).  "You go ahead and take a look around, find some stuff you guys like, and when you're done we can meet up by the front counter."

Nathan glanced around them a little and smiled, then nodded his understanding before wandering off to go looking around more thoroughly.

~~~
"Alright, then let's get going," Dirk said with a smile as he headed over to open the bay door and Jim moved to open Sky's passenger door for his betrothed to get in.

~~~
"Oh yeah, good thinking Gus," Julia said with a smile as she looked around the room for a moment, scratching her chin thoughtfully.  "Uuuummm... I think it might be somewhere over in that corner..." she said after a moment, pointing towards one of the back corners of the room that seemed to be dominated by two tables piled up with random, confusing pieces of mostly metallic objects, along with a lot more of said unrecognizable junk scattered around on the floor.  "Yeah, sorry about the mess, that's kind of where I tend to just toss things that I don't want to deal with right now..."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next