The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It's the year 1970, and the American railroad industry is modernizing at an incredible pace.  Steam locomotives as a species are being killed off in preference of more reliable and efficient diesel-electric locomotives.  Thousands of the old iron giants are being dragged off to scrap yards and smelting plants in long, ominous funeral trains, their eyes wide and pleading for help that will never come to any human they pass by on their way to their inevitable deaths.  To their old crews, these locos are family, but to the industry, they're now a liability, worth nothing more than their weight in scrap steel, at a rate of about forty seven dollars per metric ton.

In northern Washington State, trouble is brewing in the small railroad city of Fort Fairfax.  The local railroad company has been run out of business by the mega-tycoon that is the Union Pacific.  With the rail line shut down and deteriorating from years of disuse, the only way in and out of the valley was via the main 'highway', Route Seven, but on December 8th, 1970, heavy snow and ice caused a rock face in the mountains to collapse, completely burying three miles of Route Seven under millions of tons of granite boulders, snow, and ice near the town of Saint Josef.  Luckily only ten people were killed, but the road was rendered completely impassable, practically cutting off the entire valley of Bucket Falls from the outside world.  (There are other roads out of the valley, but Route Seven was the only one that was remotely safe in winter conditions, and the only route capable of supporting large trucks in any weather)  The only hope for Fort Fairfax, as well as the neighboring towns of Thomas Canyon, Josha's Cradle, Simonville, and Dunk Town, and the hamlet of Elena Junction, was reopening the old railroad.  The two main industries in the canyon, Dyken's Coal Mine and the Lena's Mineral Mining Company, were among the first to get onboard the bandwagon of reopening the line, followed closely by the Dunk Town Sawmill and Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals.  The companies could all theoretically survive through the winter by temporarily shutting down their operations to save capital, then reopening after the spring thaw would allow for Route Seven to be cleared and rebuilt, but in a rare stroke of plain humanity all four of the company CEOs decided that the railroad reopening would not only be good news for all of them, but more importantly, would be good news for all the people living in the valley.  With the support from the local industries and the residents of the valley, a group of citizens from Fort Fairfax formed the Full Bucket Line Preservation Society, which soon enough became the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  The initial investments from the industrial companies provided the FBLRR with most of the initial capital they needed to get most of the line repaired to the point of being safely usable, but that still left them with a rather serious problem.

What the hell good is a railroad with no locomotives and no rolling stock?

When the line was first shut down, the Union Pacific bought up everything worth recovering at the bankruptcy auction, which included all the locomotives and nearly all of the rolling stock.  There were a few cars left behind scattered around the line, but all needed serious work if they were even salvageable at all, and even all of them put together weren't going to be enough to run the railroad with.  Luckily most of the old railroad's employees were local residents, so there was no shortage of qualified workers, but the company was quickly running out of cash, and they still didn't even have any locomotives.

And so the search began for the trains that could help to save the valley of Bucket Falls.  For the size of the line they would be trying to run, starting off they would need at least one or two small locomotives for shunting work and pulling maintenance trains (probably small steam tank engines or diesel switchers), two or three mid-sized locos for general freight traffic and short, local passenger trains, and one large, powerful main-line locomotive for bringing the big freight trains in and out of the valley, as well as pulling the fast passenger services.  It's a tall order, but hopefully the folks at the FBLRR can find some of what they need without breaking the bank.

And hopefully the engines themselves will be willing to cooperate after being neglected and cast aside for so long.

Its the nature of time that the old ways must give in
Its the nature of time that the new ways come in sin
When the new meets the old it always ends the ancient ways
But as history told, the old ways go out in a blaze

~~~~~

Okay, so if you can't tell, this is a world where many of the vehicles that humans build and use are sentient beings, sort of like in "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "Cars" (if Cars had humans).  They have a fair bit of control over themselves, but still need human crew to fully operate most of the time.  They do have faces, but not Thomas-style faces where it covers most of the front of their body.  They're much less intrusive, being just eyes and a mouth somewhere that makes sense on the front of their body, like this:
As sentient beings, they've all got their own personalities and feelings, most have names, they can feel pain and other physical sensations with surprising sensitivity.  Their bodies are a bit flexible, but not quite to the extent of the characters in "Cars".  When a locomotive and its crew are familiar with one another and have formed a tight bond, one can expect to see significantly better physical performance out of both.  The mental health of a sentient vehicle has a significant and direct impact on their physical capabilities, meaning a happy, satisfied train with a good crew that they're close to will tend to perform significantly better than their design specifications say they should be able to, while a depressed or angry locomotive or one with a crew that they're always at odds with will have substantially worse general performance, or may even straight-up refuse to work at all.

Please keep in mind for the vehicles that most of what the FBLRR is going to be using/getting their hands on is going to be old, outdated, and generally unwanted equipment.  Very little, if anything, is going to be new or modern (for the present time period of 1970) so try to keep to trains that were built between the 1940s and the early '60s, or were being retired from service in 1966 at the latest.  Trucks could probably be a bit newer, like '68 or '69 (giggity), but toss in some older ones as well for added historical nostalgia stuff.

Character Forms:

Human:

Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Personality:
Relevant skills:
Recommended/Desired/Current job:
Other:

Trains:

Name: (If they were ever given one, or can remember their name)
Class: (The exact type of train they were.  Please be specific.  If you have an idea about what you want from the character, do some searching online to find something that might match what you want)
Personality:
Picture (Optional):
Other:

Trucks:

Name: (Again, if they ever got one)
Personality:
Picture: (Optional)
Other:

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:53 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Minor gramatical revisions, added a short bit of symbolic poetry)
Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Re: The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Starrnico on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:23 am

Gus woke and sat up, rubbing his eyes then stretching as well as he could in the cab. He looked around then scooted over to drive Riley inside so he could be parked and give the others room to park too once the bay door was up.

Starr had been looking around at the scenery too as they drove along. She nodded then chuckled "Maybe us helping with this railway will help bring in more people." She said hopefully.

Scotty looked over to the bay door as it opened, smiling and waving to Ben and Riley as they came in. 
~~~
Roger nodded and looked around as they finished this car. "Yeah, he did great." He agreed then grinned. "We have enough done for a small passenger service now, it can only grow from this." 
~~~
Lilly nodded and started slowing them down gently then reached for the paper, looking at it before handing it over to Connie. "Here yougo" She said then focused on the rails again and getting them slowed.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)
Gold Pieces: 15 g 42 s 86 c

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:32 am

Dirk smiled as he watched Gus drive Riley inside to park, then stayed there at the bay door to close it after Jim, Starr, and JT got inside as well.

"I sure hope that it will," Jim agreed as he skillfully eased JT inside the big industrial building and parked him in the generous space between Riley and Skylar with the intent that the three vehicles could talk amongst themselves and get to know each other much easier that way.  "This scenery is something that doesn't deserve to be sidelined so much."  Once he had JT parked and his engine shut off he got out and once again went around to open his fiancé's door for her.

"Hey, I definitely haven't seen you around here at all before," Dirk said curiously as he shut the bay door and headed over towards where Scotty was.  "You one of the other new hires?"

~~~
“Yeah, I suppose that we would be able to use just a coach or two and have a working passenger service,” Corey agreed.  “But I think Mr. Iverson really wants to have this whole consist ready for work by the time that Helen is ready to go, if at all possible.  I don’t know if we'll be able to get another eleven cars cleaned up and ready to run by the time Scotty and Julia have Helen ready to go, but we've got friends to help us out, so we might as well try, am I right?”

~~~
”Thaaaaank you,” the blonde replied, drawing out the first vowel sound as she stretched across Rosie's center console to reach the pad she was being handed.  “Alright, so it looks like we're gonna be picking up twelve full hoppers of coal from the coal loading area, then over by the refuse area there is apparently… jeez, twenty-eight cars of gravel that the mine foreman said is decent quality for track ballast.  They’ve got no use for it, so they said if we want it, it’s there and we can just have it.  Talk about generosity, that’s amazing.”

“Wow, is everyone here in America this kind?” Nathan asked in a bit of awe.

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
I AM THE SALMON MODERATOR
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:49 am

Starr smiled at Jim as she got out then looked around the shed curiously. They had so many engines already, it was good to see. 

Scotty looked up from his work then dipped his head in a nod "Aye, I am Scotty. I just started today." He said happily. 
~~~
Roger chuckled and nodded "We can get done what we can before she's ready to go, but even having a smaller start would be good, adding on to it as we get them done and ready for passengers. Like the one needing new windows, that would take a bit longer than the simple cleaning jobs." He explained then shrugged and headed to the next car. 
~~~
Lilly whistled softly then shook her head at Nathans' question "Unfortunately no. It is wonderful that we have found good people, but not all are good." 

Cat nodded silently at the reply, she knew well enough that not all Americans were good people, but there were some that were good.

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:48 am

"Wow, you guys are a lot better off already than I expected an infant, shoestring-budget railroad to be," Jim said, clearly impressed as he looked over the four engines sitting there in the shed, three of them in various states of disassembly.

"Yeah, I'm a bit pleasantly surprised myself," Dirk replied as he headed over to shake the young Scot's hand.  "Well I'm looking forwards to getting to work with you, Scotty.  I'm Dirk, and these folks here are Gus, Jim, and Starr, our other three newest hires."

~~~
"Yeah, though even without the broken window, that whole consist of the Pullman cars is gonna need a lot of work before they're presentable and service-worthy again," Corey agreed as he headed into the second chair car with Roger.  "Thankfully they seemed pretty sound functionally and structurally, but they're gonna need the floor boards either replaced or refinished, all of them need at least two fresh coats of paint, maybe three, and almost none of the upholstery is salvageable.  I could definitely smell mice in the dome car as well, but we'll get it all done, that I'm sure of."  He started looking around the new car they had just entered, scanning over the interior from top to bottom to see what they had to deal with here.

~~~
"Oh... okay..." Nathan said, dipping his head and wearing a seemingly dejected and disappointed frown.

"Don't worry Nate, buddy," Connie said, reaching over and playfully rubbing the top of his head to mess with his hair and cheer him up a bit.  "There's still plenty of nice people down here in the US, especially right around here in the Bucket Falls valley.  We're so naturally cut off from the rest of the country we're almost like our own little demi-state.  There's still unpleasant people around here, you'd be hard-pressed to find any place without at least a few, but the good folks around here far outnumber the bad ones."

Nathan chucked a bit at the blonde messing with his hair and smiled, cheering up a fair bit as they approached the switches for the coal mine spur tracks, which had already been correctly aligned in anticipation of their arrival.
Lilly whistled softly then shook her head at Nathans' question "Unfortunately no. It is wonderful that we have found good people, but not all are good." 

Cat nodded silently at the reply, she knew well enough that not all Americans were good people, but there were some that were good.

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:41 pm

Scotty smiled and shook hands with the people as they came over to greet him. "Yeah, we did get a lot done today, a couple of the guys have even started cleaning up the cars for when Sam is ready to go." 

Starr shook his hand and smiled before stepping back to stand beside Jim again. "It's good to meet you." 

~~~
Roger nodded, thinking of all that work before focusing on the work they had right now. "Well, this does look like it'll be easier than that" He said with a chuckle, moving to get started.

~~~
Lilly continued to make sure they slowed down correctly so they could get the cars they were after when they got there. 

Cat hugged Nathan gently "Even if others might not be good, we can still be really good to one another here." She said softly.

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:43 pm

"Oh really?  Wow, that's great to hear, I'm sure Mr. Iverson will be quite pleased with your progress," Dirk said, smiling widely.  He glanced down toward the other end of the building and noticed a rather prominent feature missing, and chuckled as he said "I would assume that since Rosie isn't asleep in her bay you guys must have gotten her gassed up and sent her out on a job already?"

Jim smiled as he came forward to shake Scotty's hand as well.  "Pleasure to meet you too.  Wow, we sure do have quite the mix of backgrounds and ethnicities here, don't we?"

~~~

"Well that's a relief," Corey sighed happily.  "Wow, two guys cleaning out three whole passenger cars in an afternoon.  Think we could even go for four?"

~~~
"Yeah, I'd like that," Nathan said as he happily hugged Cat in return.

It would take them a few minutes of slowly idling through the yards towards the coal loading towers, stopping four times so Connie could hop out and realign switches, but soon enough they had Rosie turned around to point south and ready to back down onto the consist of coal hoppers.  "Alright Lilly, nice and gentle start easing her back," Connie said over their radios as she stood beside the front of the first coal car as a spotter and to secure the coupling once the knuckles had closed.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:43 pm

After shaking hands, Scotty moved to check on the water again. "Yeah, Lilly and Connie took the kids to go after the coal for the other engines." He replied with a smile. It was a lot to get done in the short time they had, but it was also great to get that much done. He hoped they kept this momentum to fix the others.

~~~
Roger chuckled and nodded "Yeah, we can certainly try. Four is a nice, even number." He said jokingly, though it would be good to have that done, it was less to finish later on.

~~~
Cat nodded and let go so she could move to the window and watch what was happening outside. 

Lilly nodded and started Rosie to moving again, slow and easy so they could ease into place and gather the cars.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:45 am

Just as Scotty went back to Helen's boiler to inspect the state of the thawing process, a rather large chunk of ice (roughly a bit more than two feet square and likely weighing about sixty pounds) melted just enough that it broke free from the main portion that was suspended and surrounding Helen's boiler piping up near the top of the chamber.  The big chunk of stale ice fell down into a cavity in the bottom of the chamber, then hit the belly of Helen's boiler wall with a *CLANG* loud and sudden enough to make Jim, Dirk, and even Sam jump a bit in fright and surprise.  “Oh jeez, what was that?” Dirk asked quickly.  “Helen, you okay?”  Though it definitely would have hurt a bit, thankfully it was only ice and hadn’t caused any damage.

~~~
Corey chuckled and shrugged, then said “Well then screw it, let’s go for it.  I mean, we might as well, right?”

~~~
“Keep coming, two and closing…” Connie said, calling out the distance left in car lengths over the radio.  “Down to one… half a car… aaaaand good!”  She watched as the rear coupler of Rosie's B unit firmly shunted into the front of the short consist of coal cars, shattering the crust of snow and ice that had built up on the disused piece of equipment.  The whole consist shuddered and shed sheets of ice and solidified snow from their sides and ends as the coupler slack was compressed and brought Rosie to a full stop.  She quickly inspected the couplers, smiling when she saw that both had locked properly the first time, then quickly attached the air hoses and released the hand brakes before getting back on the comms.  “Alright, we're good as far as I can tell.  Go ahead and start pulling forward and I’ll keep an eye on things back here for a moment before I hop back on, over.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:02 pm

"Yeah, it hurt a little, but it's alright" Helen said softly, frowning a little. She shivered then settled still again, looking at all the new people and truck. 

Scotty moved back up, looking around with a flashlight to make sure nothing had been broken then giving them the good news.
~~~
Roger chuckled and nodded then looked over to him "Hopefully without finding any more kids hiding away." He said jokingly.

~~~
Lilly worked the controls, glad they got it the first time so they didn't have to try again. She nodded and picked up the comms again "Roger, and we're off" She chuckled, starting them forward slowly so shr could stop if anything went wrong.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:17 am

“Okay then, if you feel sure about that I suppose we should be alright,” Dirk said, noticeably relieved after he climbed up to take a look inside Helen's boiler with Scotty.  “But let’s just make sure that we melt the rest of the ice inside your boiler purely from the bottom up, since there’s already a cavity at the bottom and we can’t avoid that at this point.  And let’s get what’s left in here melted away as soon as possible to put as little stress on her piping as necessary.”

~~~
“Well I don’t know about that part…” Roger said with a shrug.  “If we found another kid hiding out in here, the likelihood would be that we’d be saving their life directly at this point, as well as saving them from whatever life they’d been running away from.  It might prove to be a little bit of an extra hassle since we've already found two kids that we’ve picked up and brought into the family we're building here, but it’d be a blessing to them and that’s what matters, right?”

~~~
A few minutes passed, then Connie's voice came in over the radio again with “Everything looks good back here so far, Lil', I’m coming back aboard, out.”  A brief moment later she had jogged up to the back of Rosie's B unit, grabbed onto the boarding ladder and clambered up to the door on the rear of the locomotive.  “Oh hey Cat,” she chuckled in a bit of surprise when she got inside and saw the curious teen watching from the window.  “I take it you still really love trains, don’t you?”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:36 am

Scotty nodded and looked up at Dirk briefly before looking back at the ice "Aye, I agree" He said then adjusted the heating element a little.

~~~
Roger nodded then shook his head a little. "If we found them soon enough, yeah" He said softly as he worked on cleaning this car. "I was joking because we did find two already." 

~~~
Cat flushed a little and looked to Connie "Yeah, I do. They are cool" She said shyly. "I like watching the cars come together like this." It didn't matter to her if it was passenger cars or these loaded cars.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:55 pm

"So Star, I heard something about you being a Doctor, right?" Dirk asked curiously, leaning casually against Helen's side as he looked over the pair of newcomers.

~~~
"Yeah, I know, I guess I'm just saying," Corey said with a shrug as he continued working.

~~~
"Well there's another thing we have in common," Connie replied with a smile, rubbing Cat's head a bit endearingly as she headed back up to Rosie's cab.  There she would observe quietly as she let Lilly continue to drive them forwards until they would pass the switches to the refuse dumping area, where she would jump out and head back to switch the points so they could reverse and pick up the gravel cars.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:53 am

Starr nodded, looking over to Dirk in a bit of surprise. "Yes, I am a doctor." She said then smiled softly. "Jim got this job and I want to stay with him, so I did." She explained a little
~~~
(drop them until something happens or the end of the work day, lol)
~~
Cat smiled at her and fixed her hair. When Connie moved out, she followed her, wanting to help or at least watch from closer while Lilly controlled the engine.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:11 pm

"Yeah, she sure is one committed woman, I'll say that much," Jim chuckled, leaning over to give Starr a quick peck on the cheek.  "And she's not just any old doctor either, she's a qualified trauma surgeon."

"Oh wow, really?" Dirk asked in surprise.  "Man, in this society, that's pretty impressive for a woman to be able to achieve such a position at such a young age.  With all the rampant sexism we've got in the professional, educated working society, you must be overtly qualified and a bit of a fighter as well, Starr, bravo."

~~~
Connie couldn't help but notice Cat's eager expression and her subtle nervous fidgeting as they moved the train out towards the switches they'd be passing over, then reversing back through to fetch the gravel hoppers.  "Hey sport, you wanna come out with me and help get things arranged and checked out with the gravel cars?" she asked curiously, fairly certain she knew what the answer would be.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:16 pm

Starr flushed a little and dipped her head "I know when to stand my ground and fight for what I want." She said softly. She was proud of what she had done, but she didn't like to brag.

~~~
Cat looked to her and nodded eagerly. "Yes, I want to help." She said, sticking close to her to help or just watch so she could help more the next time, if there was a next time. Everyone was so kind, so she guessed there would be one.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:50 pm

"Well then I'm sure we'll all be glad to have you on our team here at the Full Bucket Line," Sam called from across the shop, earning a simple nod from Dirk.

"Absolutely, I agree," the scarred redhead said with a smile.  "I know I already am."

~~~
"Welp, then grab your jacket and get ready to hop off, we're coming up to the switch now," Connie chuckled as she headed back towards the rear of Rosie's body and opened the rear side door, climbing down the exterior ladder in preparation to hop off onto the ground from the slowly rolling train once she was fairly close to the switch they'd be changing.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:20 pm

Starr smiled at that and waved over at Sam at her remark. "Thanks, I hope to open a place here to work from, even if it is mostly general medicine." She said and looked to Jim again. 
~~~
Cat nodded and followed Connie out to watch her and the train cars with the switches to learn when to move them and how.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:52 pm

"That sounds like a pretty good idea, Starr," Sam replied.  "From what I heard the rail terminal building here in Fort Fairfax is still in pretty good shape and had a bunch of rooms inside for shops and restaurants and such that are all vacant now, so maybe one of those could get renovated into a sort of a medical center for you to work out of."

~~~
"You ever thrown a manual railroad switch before, Cat?" Connie asked as she watched the last few cars of the train slowly roll past them and come to a stop a few dozen yards past the switches they'd dropped near.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Starr smiled at that and nodded. "That sounds like a very good idea, we will have to talk to Mr. Iverson and get that sorted out, if anything is going to happen like that." She said cheerfully. She was glad there were buildings and hoped to be able to work something out like that. 
~~~
Cat shook her head and looked to Connie "No, I was always too young and we weren't in yards like this that often." She replied

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:04 pm

"Oh I'm sure he'll be more than happy to give us the go-ahead on something like that," Dirk said with a shrug.  "He's a very understanding and reasonable man, and what other use would there be for those vacant slots in the concourse anyways?  Besides that, the regional hospital is all the way on the north side of the city, and south-side Fort Fairfax hasn't had a decent medical facility of any sort since Nurse Nancy's clinic burned down... I guess it's been fourteen years now..."

~~~
"Alright, well it's pretty simple really, and thankfully Rosie's train running over the points twice seems to have cleared away any ice that might have been built up here," Connie said, moving over towards the switch control mechanism on the ground and brushing away most of the snow.  "That big teardrop-shaped thing?  That's the handles and the lever for changing the points.  You basically just pick it up and rotate it over a hundred and eighty degrees into the opposite position and that will realign the switch to the other direction.  That little cross-shaped indicator on top turns when you change the points, so if you can see a green rectangle it means the switch is set straight, if it's a white angled arrow off to one side, that means that it's set to send trains off to that side.  Seems simple enough, right?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:21 pm

"Fourteen years!?" Wow, Starr thought, that was quite a long time to be without even a nurse nearby. She was glad she would be here to fill that void for the company and this end of town. "Well, we certainly can do what we can to fix that." 

~~~
Cat followed her, watching and listening to the small lecture as Connie spoke She nodded when the woman finished and smiled "Yeah, sounds simple enough, though I suspect it isn't as easy as it sounds, especially when frozen over."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:36 pm

"Precisely, we can always do whatever we're able to to help the valley and each other," Dirk said, getting nods of agreement from Sam, Jim, and the cars behind them.  "So how long have you two known each other?"

~~~
"Well when the mechanism is frozen, it can be a bit difficult to get things done," Connie said with a shrug.  "But as long as that's not an issue, which it would appear to be the case now, it's honestly just a matter of lifting the lever up and over to the opposite position, and making sure that the moving points are engaged where they should be and clear where they shouldn't.  Go ahead and give it a try."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:07 pm

(How long have they known one another?)

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:21 pm

(Umm... I dunno, I think it's been like three years since the accident)

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:38 pm

"I think three years now" Starr said, looking to Jim for confirmation then looking back to Dirk again with a nod as if to confirm herself. She explained an edited version of how they met for them. 

~~~
Cat smiled at that and nodded before going to move the lever so it would change the tracks for them. She looked to the arrows then over to Connie "Like that?"

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:01 pm

"Yeah, I believe three years is right," Jim replied.  "But we only finally got engaged a few months ago.  It's been a pretty long road, but I think we're finally approaching some straight and level here with you folks."

"Let's hope so," Sam piped up.

~~~
"Yep, exactly like that," Connie replied with a smile, flicking her radio back on and calling to Rosie and Lilly.  "Alright, you're good to reverse," she said, gesturing with hand signals as well.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next