The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The year is 1970.  The American railroad industry is modernizing at an incredible pace, and steam locomotives as a species are being killed off in preference of more reliable and efficient diesel-electric locomotives.  Thousands of the old iron giants are being dragged off to scrap yards and smelting plants in long, ominous funeral trains, their eyes wide and pleading for help that will never come to any human they pass by on their way to their inevitable deaths.  To their old crews, these locos are family, but to the industry, they're now a liability, worth nothing more than their weight in scrap steel, at a rate of about forty seven dollars per metric ton.

In northern Washington State, trouble is brewing in the small railroad city of Fort Fairfax.  The local railroad company has been run out of business by the mega-tycoon that is the Union Pacific.  With the rail line shut down and deteriorating from years of disuse, the only way in and out of the valley was via the main 'highway', Route Seven, but on December 8th, 1970, heavy snow and ice caused a rock face in the mountains to collapse, completely burying three miles of Route Seven under millions of tons of granite boulders, snow, and ice near the town of Saint Josef.  Luckily only ten people were killed, but the road was rendered completely impassable, practically cutting off the entire valley of Bucket Falls from the outside world.  (There are other roads out of the valley, but Route Seven was the only one that was remotely safe in winter conditions, and the only route capable of supporting large trucks in any weather)  The only hope for Fort Fairfax, as well as the neighboring towns of Thomas Canyon, Josha's Cradle, Simonville, and Dunk Town, and the hamlet of Elena Junction, was reopening the old railroad.  The two main industries in the canyon, Dyken's Coal Mine and the Lena's Mineral Mining Company, were among the first to get onboard the bandwagon of reopening the line, followed closely by the Dunk Town Sawmill and Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals.  The companies could all theoretically survive through the winter by temporarily shutting down their operations to save capital, then reopening after the spring thaw would allow for Route Seven to be cleared and rebuilt, but in a rare stroke of plain humanity all four of the company CEOs decided that the railroad reopening would not only be good news for all of them, but more importantly, would be good news for all the people living in the valley.  With the support from the local industries and the residents of the valley, a group of citizens from Fort Fairfax formed the Full Bucket Line Preservation Society, which soon enough became the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  The initial investments from the industrial companies provided the FBLRR with most of the initial capital they needed to get most of the line repaired to the point of being safely usable, but that still left them with a rather serious problem.

What the hell good is a railroad with no locomotives and no rolling stock?

When the line was first shut down, the Union Pacific bought up everything worth recovering at the bankruptcy auction, which included all the locomotives and nearly all of the rolling stock.  There were a few cars left behind scattered around the line, but all needed serious work if they were even salvageable at all, and even all of them put together weren't going to be enough to run the railroad with.  Luckily most of the old railroad's employees were local residents, so there was no shortage of qualified workers, but the company was quickly running out of cash, and they still didn't even have any locomotives.

And so the search began for the trains that could help to save the valley of Bucket Falls.  For the size of the line they would be trying to run, starting off they would need at least one or two small locomotives for shunting work and pulling maintenance trains (probably small steam tank engines or diesel switchers), two or three mid-sized locos for general freight traffic and short, local passenger trains, and one large, powerful main-line locomotive for bringing the big freight trains in and out of the valley, as well as pulling the fast passenger services.  It's a tall order, but hopefully the folks at the FBLRR can find some of what they need without breaking the bank.

And hopefully the engines themselves will be willing to cooperate after being neglected and cast aside for so long.

~~~~~

Okay, so if you can't tell, this is a world where many of the vehicles that humans build and use are sentient beings, sort of like in "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "Cars" (if Cars had humans).  They have a fair bit of control over themselves, but still need human crew to fully operate most of the time.  They do have faces, but not Thomas-style faces where it covers most of the front of their body.  They're much less intrusive, being just eyes and a mouth somewhere that makes sense on the front of their body, like this:
As sentient beings, they've all got their own personalities and feelings, most have names, they can feel pain and other physical sensations with surprising sensitivity.  Their bodies are a bit flexible, but not quite to the extent of the characters in "Cars".  When a locomotive and its crew are familiar with one another and have formed a tight bond, one can expect to see significantly better physical performance out of both.  The mental health of a sentient vehicle has a significant and direct impact on their physical capabilities, meaning a happy, satisfied train with a good crew that they're close to will tend to perform significantly better than their design specifications say they should be able to, while a depressed or angry locomotive or one with a crew that they're always at odds with will have substantially worse general performance, or may even straight-up refuse to work at all.

Please keep in mind for the vehicles that most of what the FBLRR is going to be using/getting their hands on is going to be old, outdated, and generally unwanted equipment.  Very little, if anything, is going to be new or modern (for the present time period of 1970) so try to keep to trains that were built between the 1940s and the early '60s, or were being retired from service in 1966 at the latest.  Trucks could probably be a bit newer, like '68 or '69 (giggity), but toss in some older ones as well for added historical nostalgia stuff.

Character Forms:

Human:

Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Personality:
Relevant skills:
Recommended/Desired/Current job:
Other:

Trains:

Name: (If they were ever given one, or can remember their name)
Class: (The exact type of train they were.  Please be specific.  If you have an idea about what you want from the character, do some searching online to find something that might match what you want)
Personality:
Picture (Optional):
Other:

Trucks:

Name: (Again, if they ever got one)
Personality:
Picture: (Optional)
Other:

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Re: The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:25 pm

“Oh I’m sure you wouldn’t, but accidents can happen, so just be careful is all I’m saying,” Julia added before disappearing into the back of the shop.

“So we’ve got a Scot named Scotty now, huh?” Sam chuckled as she watched what he and Helen were working on as well as she was able.  “Man, that’s funny, this fledgling railroad is becoming a real smorgasbord of nationalities and backgrounds, isn’t it?” 

~~~
Connie and Rosie both laughed a bit at that and the diesel said “Yeah, I agree, that would get pretty annoying and drain my batteries too.”

“Yeah, exactly right, both of you,” Connie said contently.  “Even in the middle of the day, if you’re operating the train, you have all the lights on.  Hmm… how about you guys list off some of the basic horn and whistle patterns for me?  Whatever ones you guys know.”

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:44 pm

Scotty chuckled and looked over to Sam then nodded "My last name really is Scotty though, so it fits." He said then shrugged 
~~~
"I know the SOS pattern and Morse code" Cat said then looked to Nathan "Do you know Morse code?" 

Lilly chuckled softly "There's a poster in the office with all the patterns on it" She said and named them off. That she knew well.

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)
Gold Pieces: 15 g 42 s 86 c

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:10 pm

"Yeah, I know, that's the funniest part," Sam laughed.  "So I heard you're pretty new to working trains, right?"

~~~
"Really?  You've got Morse code memorized?" Connie asked in surprise.  "Wow, that's pretty impressive Cat.  And Lilly I'm not surprised you've got that one down with how much time you spend with your dad.  Maybe you and Cat should spend a bit of time teaching each other a few things."  She was quiet for a moment as she tried thinking about something else random but important to ask the two of them.

"I've got something good," Rosie cut in.  "Firstly, under what conditions can a train legally pass a signal set at Danger?  And second, what do you think the new livery for the railroad is gonna be like?  You guys have any ideas?"

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
I AM THE SALMON MODERATOR
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:47 pm

"Trains, yes, though not to engineering." Scotty replied. He looked back to the ice, checking on it to remove any melted water he could.

~~~
Cat nodded and flushed "Mom and dad taught me, so we could talk even when apart." She said then went quiet. She missed them again. 

(I don't know that stuff)
Lilly answered as well as she could then looked ahead to the tracks "I gave father a drawing to see if he would use it for the logo"

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:59 am

"Oh really?  What sort of work ere you doing before you started up with trains?"

~~~
(It's okay, mostly because there isn't really a definitive answer to that question, lol)

"Well in a way you're right, Lilly," Connie said.  "There really isn't a time when that's appropriate, except for extreme and situational emergencies, but I'll give you that one.  And I'm sure what you drew for the company logo will look great, but what about our livery?  What sort of colors and pattern are we gonna repaint our engines and passenger cars with?"

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:56 am

"Oh, just, you know, being an engineer" Scotty said, his gaze focused on the ice again. He was embarrassed really. 

~~~
Lilly nodded and looked to Connie then at the kids. "It had the colors and all with it" She said softly. She didn't want to seem pretentious or anything like that.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:19 pm

"Aww, what's the matter?  Do we have a Scott who's bashful about chatting with a pretty big girl like me?" Sam teased playfully.  "Don't worry, I don't bite unless someone threatens me or my friends.  That's when I can get nasty, but other than that, I'm just as nice as anyone else around here.  You can chat with me about whatever you want."

~~~
"Wow, that's really clever of you," Connie said with a smile as she saw a sign that they were approaching a grade crossing ahead.  She knew this spot, and it was just an old gravel service road that ran to one of the abandoned gravel pits that Lena's Mining Co. had cleaned out and moved on from.  There were a few more little roads like this one coming up in the next few miles, al of them out of use for years, so she felt there would be no harm in letting Cat and maybe Nathan get in some whistle/horn practice.  "Okay, Cat, come on over here," she said.  "We're coming up to the first of a couple little grade crossings, and I want you to practice the proper horn pattern out here where nobody's potentially in danger."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:19 pm

"It's not that" Scotty said then stopped before he sighed. "I invent stuff. Others have made fun of my inventions, so I don't talk about them much" 

~~~
Cat looked to Nathan then back to Connie, going over to her and looking at the controls "Really?" She asked, she had to make sure before she would move to make the horn give the pattern

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:32 am

"Invent stuff?" Sam echoed.  "Oh come on, people laughed at me when I was invented.  They said nobody needed to be designing new steam locomotives anymore.  I know how it feels, I promise I won't laugh, I actually think that's really cool!"

~~~
Connie watched as Cat came up and did the horn pattern for the first crossing, then once they had passed it she said "Alright, that's pretty good for a first time.  So for the next one, judge the distance we have left and start the signal about fifteen to twenty seconds before we'll hit the crossing.  Draw it out if you need to, and keep the last long blast going until Rosie is fully occupying the grade crossing, alright?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:48 am

Scotty nodded lightly but didn't look up from the ice melting. "Some people are really judgmental especially about new things." 
~~~
Cat nodded and looked ahead, watching for the next crossing to try to sound the alarm at the right time. "Hey Nathan, you want to try too?" She asked. She didn't want him to feel left out or forgotten.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:00 pm

"Well you could call me a new thing in some ways," Sam laughed.  "It's alright, Scotty, you can talk to me about anything.  I'm really interested and I wanna know more about the kinds of things you've done."

~~~
"Nice work, Cat, that was perfect," Connie praised with a contented smile as they passed the second crossing.  She glanced back at Nathan, who was looking on a bit nervously, and gestured for him to come forward with them.  "Come on buddy, you deserve a turn too."

Nathan blushed a bit, but smiled as he came forward and Connie let him sit on her lap so he could reach the chord for Rosie's horn.  It took him three grade crossings to get the pattern just right, but this was partly because he was so excited the first time that he was mostly just playing with Rosie's horn.  After he nailed it on the third crossing he looked over at Lilly with an accomplished smile on his face, blushing again at Connie's praise of him.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:04 pm

Scotty looked over to her then back to his task, taking out the excess water again. "It's nothing big, nothing that has caught on. Just little things to help around the house."

~~
Lilly smiled at Nathan at his accomplishment, clapping when he did it right. "Well done, both of you" She said happily.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:29 am

Sam rolled her eyes and said “Oh come on, Scotty, give me a little more than that.  Trust me, I’m really interested and I promise I won’t laugh.”

~~~
Nathan smiled and blushed, bashfully dipping his head a bit as he said “Th-thank you, Miss Lilly…”

“Oooh, I’ve got a useful question for all of you guys,” Rosie piped up eagerly.  “Do any of you know the 'rule of thumb' formula for determining the 'seat of your pants, maximum pucker achieved' braking distance for any given mixed freight train?”

“Huh… I actually might have to think about that one a little…” Connie said thoughtfully.  “You’re talking about just normal conditions, right?  Average temperature and humidity on straight, level track?”

“All you need to consider as factors are aspects of the train itself,” their loco clarified.  “It’s just the real basic, ballpark formula, and I’m mostly just curious if any of the rest of you know it.”

“Okay, I think I’ll go last then if anyone else has any guesses,” Connie said with a shrug as she pondered her answer a bit.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:18 pm

Scotty looked over to her then back to what he was doing "Well, one thing is a safety thing, we call it kevlar now. It helps stop bullets from hitting." He said with a shrug. 

~~~
Lilly frowned a little in thought at that question. She wasn't sure of what to answer for that, but gave her best guess anyway. 

Cat frowned at the question and shrugged. That kind of stuff she didn't know about.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:21 am

“Oh, really?  You came up with that?” Sam asked in surprise.  “Wow, you’re really selling yourself short, Scotty, that’s an amazing creation.  I mean… that could save so many lives.  Is it strong against stuff other than bullets?  Is it like a new kind of strong armored metal or something?”

~~~
“Well, those are aul pretty good tries,” Rosie said with a chuckle.  “What about you Connie?  Whadda you think?”

“Uhh, I dunno… is it something like train weight multiplied by speed?” the blonde engineer replied with a shrug.

“Again, good try, but not quite.  It can be as simple as speed squared for an average length, loaded freight train, so for about fifty cars weighing about fifty tons each.  Of course, for empty or smauller trains the stopping distance is a lot shorter, and for longer or heavier trains it’d be longer, but speed in miles per hour squared is a good rule of thumb, with the result being in yards.”

“Hmm, okay, that’s pretty good to know, thanks Rosie,” Connie said with a smile.

“Ahh no problem, chick, Ah’m happy ta help.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:38 am

"It's not as good against knives, but it is an armor that can stop most bullets" Scotty said then shook his head. "It's a combination of things."

~~~
Lilly listened to Rosie then nodded "That sounds like a good way to remember that." She said and looked to the kids before looking ahead again. 

"What does that mean?" Cat asked after a short silence. "Squared." She added to clarify. She hadn't had normal schooling after all

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:30 pm

"Oh, okay, so is it like a suit that someone would put on?" Sam asked, still confused and curious.  "And how come it can stop bullets but not knives?  I thought... wait, is it like... some sort of fabric?"

~~~
"Oh, well when you square a number you multiply it by itself once," Rosie said.  "So 1 squared is just one, 2 squared would be four, 3 squared is 9 and so on.  That make sense?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:01 pm

"It is a kind of fabric that is as strong as steel, but we haven't been able to make it tight enough to resist knives yet." Scotty said with a frown "Work in progress" He added then shrugged. 

~~~
Cat frowned and looked down at the floor before shrugging "I guess so." She said though she didn't sound sure. "I didn't learn much in numbers like that."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:32 am

“Wow, Scotty, that’s incredible,” Sam said, clearly in awe at the bright and clever mind of the railroad's (current) newest hire.  “Who else knows about this?  Is it just you working on this project or do you have some friends or acquaintances helping you?”  She laughed a little and said “You know, if this Kevlar stuff is really as good as you say it is you might want to make up some kind of prototype or maybe a few and present them in a proposal to the U.S. military.  There’s actually a fair few bases out here, mostly Army, but there’s a few Marine Corps locations as well as Matthews Air Force Base in Simonville.  There’s even a place a ways north of Lake Hurst called the Full Bucket Proving Grounds, it’s a United States Army Corps testing range set up in a little pocket in the mountains and they do all kinds of stuff there.  I’m sure that if your Kevlar works as well as you say it does, every branch of the U.S. military aught to be tripping over themselves and each other to throw funding at you.”

~~~
“Oh, really Kat?” Connie asked curiously, reaching over to wrap an arm around the teen's shoulder and pull her close.  “Well not to toot my own horn, but I’ve managed to tutor Ashley up to a college Algebra level mostly by myself over the past couple years.  I’d be more than happy to help teach you mathematics if you’d like me to.”

Nathan blushed and smiled at the older blonde woman's selfless kindness and grace as he moved over to her other side and asked “C-could you maybe help teach me about some of this stuff too, miss Connie?...”

“Yes, of course I would, Nate,” she replied, reaching down and playfully rubbing the boy's head a bit as she turned back to Kat to await her answer.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:03 pm

"Just me" Scotty replied, flushing at her praise. "Yeah, I might do that, I just have to get the samples from storage and truck them up here." He said quietly. "It's not the only thing I've made, but it is the most...spectacular" He added.
~~~
Cat flushed and hugged Connie back. "I would like that. I only ever learned what my parents and their friends taught me." She said softly.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:58 pm

"Well I really think that you should, Scotty, and that's very impressive that you've managed to do so much on your own," Sam complimented him again.  "That's really something special you've managed to work up all by your lonesome."

~~~
"Well I'd be glad to teach both of you whatever I can that you'd like to learn," Connie replied happily.  "And honestly if you're up for it we can even get some progress started now while we're traveling.  It'll give Lilly a good bit of time at the controls as well.  You all up for that?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 am

Scotty sighed and nodded then shrugged. "Yeah, after the snow melts and the business is going, I can take some time to go and gather that stuff and show it off." He was putting it off, but then again, it wasn't like he had that much time to just vanish right now.

~~~
Cat nodded and looked over to Lilly then to Nathan "We didn't bring any paper or chalk or anything." She said softly. 

Lilly didn't mind watching the train and tracks with them learning math. Connie would be there if she was needed after all.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:45 pm

“Sounds like a plan to me,” Sam said with a smile.  “Don’t sell yourself short though, Scotty, that invention of yours could save more lives than you could count.  Just think about how much safer being in the military or the police could become.”

~~~
“Well lucky for us, it looks like Rosie's old crew did…” Connie said as she reached up to the front of the engine's dashboard and grabbed a large pad of paper and a few pencils.  “Lets figure out just what you guys know already, so we can know where the best place to start aught to be.”  She handed a pencil and a few pieces of paper to Nathan and Cat, then sat back to listen and analyze their responses.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:06 pm

Scotty nodded and smiled a little. Yeah, it could save lives. "They are worth saving if we can." He said and got a bit more water out of the boiler. 

~~~
"What do you mean?" Cat asked, taking the paper and pencil and sitting down on her pillow. She didn't know how to show what she knew, which wasn't that much in math at least.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 Yesterday at 9:03 am

(Sorry for the wait, school has had me especially busy and stressed lately.  Finals are this coming week and I’m really trying to maintain my 4.0 GPA.  After Thursday, though, it’s sweet freedom until mid January.  I’ll be able to pick Micro Flu back up again as well, and possibly even learn how to play DnD with you guys at long last.)
“Yeah, amen to that,” Sam agreed readily as Scotty kept working on draining the gradually melting water from Helen's inner boiler cavity.

~~~
Connie smiled and started doing the best she could of guiding Cat and Nathan through helping her to determine what levels they’d been educated to.

---

“Finally, here we are at last…” Dirk sighed in relief as he and Riley pulled onto the short “driveway” (for lack of a better term) that led to the railroad workshed they would be parking in.  He brought Riley to a stop just outside the main door, glancing behind them and smiling as he saw their three newest co-workers still close behind them.  With that confirmed, he reached over to nudge Gus gently awake, then climbed down out of Riley's cab to go and open the bay door and let them all inside.

“Wow, Starr...” Jim said in a bit of awe as he pulled in behind the big Army utility truck, his gaze still wandering all around them to the magnificent scenery of the isolated Bucket Falls valley.  “I knew there were some plenty beautiful sights to see out here in central Washington, but this place is just so serene… it’s incredible, you’d think with a landscape this stunningly gorgeous that way more people would live here.”

~~~
Inside the sheds, Sam had gradually dozed off while Scotty continued working on Helen's boiler.  The huge ice block inside her had been slowly but surely shrinking over the past three-ish hours, as evidenced by the thousand or so gallons of water that he would have removed already.  There was still a fair bit of ice left inside the old Hudson, but progress was progress.

~~~
“Man, twenty-one-thousand dollars for this whole express train, those Heavy Pullman cars, and Rosie's B unit… I'm telling you, Dirk friggin *stole* these coaches,” Corey laughed as he and Roger were already finishing up cleaning out the first of the ex-California Zephyr Vista-Dome chair cars.  The baggage car had been pretty much empty already, and all that car had needed was a thorough sweeping from top to bottom, so just between the two of them they’d gotten two passenger cars practically ready for service in a little over three hours.  Definitely not a bad result, all things considered.

~~~
“Oooh, sweet, look at that!” Connie said excitedly as she gazed forwards at the next sign they were about to pass by on the snowy trackside.  She was still sitting in Rosie's co-driver's seat, with Lilly still at the engine's main controls.  “Only two miles to Dyken's junction, we're almost there!  Lilly, you wanna start easing down on the power a bit?  No rush really, just a nice, gentle, rolling slow-down will be fine.”  During the trip, she’d determined that Nathan was, unsurprisingly, still at a basic Arithmetic level as far as his understanding of mathematics.  To all of their surprise, Kat seemed to be solidly at a pre-Algebra level, which if she really did only learn from her parents doing what little they could manage alongside their work, then Connie surmised that they must have been pretty fantastic teachers.  “Oh yeah, and hand me the Waybill if you don’t mind, Lilly,” she added when the thought crossed her mind.  “It should be the front page of a white notepad on the dashboard somewhere right in front of you.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

View previous topic View next topic Back to top