The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The year is 1970.  The American railroad industry is modernizing at an incredible pace, and steam locomotives as a species are being killed off in preference of more reliable and efficient diesel-electric locomotives.  Thousands of the old iron giants are being dragged off to scrap yards and smelting plants in long, ominous funeral trains, their eyes wide and pleading for help that will never come to any human they pass by on their way to their inevitable deaths.  To their old crews, these locos are family, but to the industry, they're now a liability, worth nothing more than their weight in scrap steel, at a rate of about forty seven dollars per metric ton.

In northern Washington State, trouble is brewing in the small railroad city of Fort Fairfax.  The local railroad company has been run out of business by the mega-tycoon that is the Union Pacific.  With the rail line shut down and deteriorating from years of disuse, the only way in and out of the valley was via the main 'highway', Route Seven, but on December 8th, 1970, heavy snow and ice caused a rock face in the mountains to collapse, completely burying three miles of Route Seven under millions of tons of granite boulders, snow, and ice near the town of Saint Josef.  Luckily only ten people were killed, but the road was rendered completely impassable, practically cutting off the entire valley of Bucket Falls from the outside world.  (There are other roads out of the valley, but Route Seven was the only one that was remotely safe in winter conditions, and the only route capable of supporting large trucks in any weather)  The only hope for Fort Fairfax, as well as the neighboring towns of Thomas Canyon, Josha's Cradle, Simonville, and Dunk Town, and the hamlet of Elena Junction, was reopening the old railroad.  The two main industries in the canyon, Dyken's Coal Mine and the Lena's Mineral Mining Company, were among the first to get onboard the bandwagon of reopening the line, followed closely by the Dunk Town Sawmill and Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals.  The companies could all theoretically survive through the winter by temporarily shutting down their operations to save capital, then reopening after the spring thaw would allow for Route Seven to be cleared and rebuilt, but in a rare stroke of plain humanity all four of the company CEOs decided that the railroad reopening would not only be good news for all of them, but more importantly, would be good news for all the people living in the valley.  With the support from the local industries and the residents of the valley, a group of citizens from Fort Fairfax formed the Full Bucket Line Preservation Society, which soon enough became the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  The initial investments from the industrial companies provided the FBLRR with most of the initial capital they needed to get most of the line repaired to the point of being safely usable, but that still left them with a rather serious problem.

What the hell good is a railroad with no locomotives and no rolling stock?

When the line was first shut down, the Union Pacific bought up everything worth recovering at the bankruptcy auction, which included all the locomotives and nearly all of the rolling stock.  There were a few cars left behind scattered around the line, but all needed serious work if they were even salvageable at all, and even all of them put together weren't going to be enough to run the railroad with.  Luckily most of the old railroad's employees were local residents, so there was no shortage of qualified workers, but the company was quickly running out of cash, and they still didn't even have any locomotives.

And so the search began for the trains that could help to save the valley of Bucket Falls.  For the size of the line they would be trying to run, starting off they would need at least one or two small locomotives for shunting work and pulling maintenance trains (probably small steam tank engines or diesel switchers), two or three mid-sized locos for general freight traffic and short, local passenger trains, and one large, powerful main-line locomotive for bringing the big freight trains in and out of the valley, as well as pulling the fast passenger services.  It's a tall order, but hopefully the folks at the FBLRR can find some of what they need without breaking the bank.

And hopefully the engines themselves will be willing to cooperate after being neglected and cast aside for so long.

~~~~~

Okay, so if you can't tell, this is a world where many of the vehicles that humans build and use are sentient beings, sort of like in "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "Cars" (if Cars had humans).  They have a fair bit of control over themselves, but still need human crew to fully operate most of the time.  They do have faces, but not Thomas-style faces where it covers most of the front of their body.  They're much less intrusive, being just eyes and a mouth somewhere that makes sense on the front of their body, like this:
As sentient beings, they've all got their own personalities and feelings, most have names, they can feel pain and other physical sensations with surprising sensitivity.  Their bodies are a bit flexible, but not quite to the extent of the characters in "Cars".  When a locomotive and its crew are familiar with one another and have formed a tight bond, one can expect to see significantly better physical performance out of both.  The mental health of a sentient vehicle has a significant and direct impact on their physical capabilities, meaning a happy, satisfied train with a good crew that they're close to will tend to perform significantly better than their design specifications say they should be able to, while a depressed or angry locomotive or one with a crew that they're always at odds with will have substantially worse general performance, or may even straight-up refuse to work at all.

Please keep in mind for the vehicles that most of what the FBLRR is going to be using/getting their hands on is going to be old, outdated, and generally unwanted equipment.  Very little, if anything, is going to be new or modern (for the present time period of 1970) so try to keep to trains that were built between the 1940s and the early '60s, or were being retired from service in 1966 at the latest.  Trucks could probably be a bit newer, like '68 or '69 (giggity), but toss in some older ones as well for added historical nostalgia stuff.

Character Forms:

Human:

Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Personality:
Relevant skills:
Recommended/Desired/Current job:
Other:

Trains:

Name: (If they were ever given one, or can remember their name)
Class: (The exact type of train they were.  Please be specific.  If you have an idea about what you want from the character, do some searching online to find something that might match what you want)
Personality:
Picture (Optional):
Other:

Trucks:

Name: (Again, if they ever got one)
Personality:
Picture: (Optional)
Other:

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Re: The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Starrnico on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:03 pm

Starr smiled at the kind voice on the other end "Yes, we will be getting there as soon as we safely can" She said in assurance then glanced around the room "We made a stop here because we think we are in the same place as some of your people, we just aren't sure which ones." She said, explaining the situation a bit. 
~~
"I'm not worried about getting hurt" Helen said quietly. "I know you guys wouldn't hurt me on purpose, not after all this trouble to get us up and running." She paused then sighed. "It's no fun being tickled as a prank, not to me." There was probably a story there, but it wasn't something she wanted to discus. 
~~~
Lilly chuckled and followed at a more sedate pace, looking to see if she could do anything to help get Rosie ready to go once more.

Roger tipped an imaginary hat to them all and headed out to make sure Corey didn't need any help finishing up and unhooking everything.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)
Gold Pieces: 15 g 42 s 86 c

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:27 pm

“Oh really, there are?”  Mr. Iverson asked in a bit of surprise.  “Oh, yes, that must be Dirk and Gus with Riley, of course.  They left to head up to Newton early this morning to investigate an old friend of Gus’ who might have had another locomotive we could try to acquire.  If they’re there, I’m sure they’d enjoy meeting you both.”  He went on to describe to the couple just what the two other men looked like, giving enough detail to be sure that they wouldn’t have a chance of not recognizing the right people.

~~~
“Oh, really?  I take it that’s something personal,” Julia said softly, resting a hand softly against the inside of Helen’s boiler.  “It’s alright, I’ll be sure to tell her that it makes you uncomfortable.  She’ll be sure to find more than enough other ways to be massively annoying.”

~~~
Connie shrugged and chuckled as she saw Lilly looking around for something else to do as she leaned back against Rosie’s side.  “Don’t stress yourself, Lilly, nothing we need to do for now but wait for 2400 gallons of diesel fuel to pump.  EMDs like her are really low-maintenance, and real easy to get going.  She’s basically just a really big diesel truck, honestly.”

~~~
Roger would almost bump into Corey at the door as the young man was on his way inside.  “Oh hey,” he chuckled.  “I actually just finished and got everything packed back up already.  You ready for those hot drinks?  Cause I’m freaking freezing.”

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
I AM THE SALMON MODERATOR
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:07 pm

Starr smiled and looked to James again "Thank you sir, we will be in as soon as we can" She said gently then handed the phone to him so she could look around the place again. 
~~
Helen gave a small smile at that caring response, glad for it. "Thank you" She said softly. She didn't care much about other pranks or annoyances like she did the tickling. 
~~~
Lilly chuckled and stepped down then over to her "Should we bring a snack and drinks or anything?" She asked softly so the kids wouldn't overhear. 
~~~
Roger smiled and moved to hold the door open so Corey could come in "I was coming to help you put it all away, I guess you beat me to it." He said then shrugged "Yeah, that sounds good."

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:29 pm

“Excellent, I’m looking forward to meeting you both in person,” Mr. Iverson said before Start handed the phone back to her fiancé.  As she looked around she would quickly be able to spot the pair of their colleagues by Dirk's ridiculous head of red hair as their waitress was dealing with their bill with them.

~~~
Julia was quiet for a while as she simply monitored the progress of the melting ice, occasionally glancing outside to check on Scotty's progress with the cutting torch.  “So how long did you work on the Canadian Pacific for?” she eventually asked.  “And where did you do most of your service?  I mean yeah, CP used Hudsons like you as mixed traffic engines, but I can tell you were mostly for passenger service because they bothered to paint you nice rather than just leave you all black, right?”

~~~
“You know what, that’s a great idea, Lilly,” Connie said with a smile.  “We made sure to stock up the communal fridge and pantry before all the stores were empty, so there’s gotta be plenty of stuff.  Why don’t you go see what all there is exactly, then go ask the kids what they want.”  She chuckled a little and added “Since I already know what there is, just make me a hoagie with ham, turkey, cheddar, and add way more Tabasco than you think is healthy for a human to consume in one sitting, and that’ll do me just fine.”

~~~
When the two of them came back inside, Ashley was just walking up with a big, steaming mug in each hand and a smile on her face.  “Cider for you, Corey…” she said, handing one to him, then turning to hand the other one to Roger.  “And cocoa for you, Roger.”

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:56 pm

Starr waited for him to end the call and hang up before she took his hand to walk over tot he table "Excuse me, are you two Dirk and Gus from the Full Bucket Line?" She asked gently to make sure before they went any further.
~~
"Right, I had a different name then. I was the Empress back then" Helen said softly, thinking of the past now. "I worked there for a very long time, I can't even remember when I started, but I ran passenger cars all over."

Scotty had finished the cutting, and was waiting for the metal to cool off. He had made a straight cut, ready to be put in the boiler and welded into place as a temporary fix.
~~~
Lilly chuckled and looked back in on the kids, calling them both to come with her to make a picnic basket for their supper to bring with them. 

Cat grinned at that and made sure the blankets and pillows were in place before climbing down to help Lilly 
~~~
"Thank you" Roger said, accepting his cup to take a sip of the warm liquid and make sure it wasn't too hot.

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:10 pm

Dirk glanced up in a bit of surprise at hearing Starr address him and Gus by name, arching an eyebrow in curiosity.  “Uhh, yeah, that’s us… who might you be and how do you know us already?  I don’t think we’ve met before.”

~~~
“Well you could just as well be The Empress again, if you wanted to,” Julia said with a shrug.  “This is like a fresh start for you, and for all of us, really.”  She smiled as she glanced over at Scotty and saw that he had gotten the plate properly trimmed down and ready to attach, once the edges cooled sufficiently.  “Wow, Scotty sure is a quick worker.  It’s almost like he just unzipped the edges from that boiler plate, that’s pretty impressive.”

~~~
Nathan perked up and smiled at the mention of going to get food ready, quickly helping Cat to make sure everything was set up nicely, then eagerly going with her to help Lilly make their meals.

~~~
Ashley smiled and giggled a bit, almost deviously, as she watched Roger start drinking.  “Hehe, you know mom gave me something special to add to your drink, Roger…” she snickered, causing Corey to raise an eyebrow in curiosity and a bit of worry.

(I’m currently working on editing a version of the route map to visually include the approximate distances between each major point on the line, excluding the Dunk Town and Bucket Springs loops)

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:40 pm

"No, we haven't met before." Starr said with a soft smile "I am Starr and this is Jim, He recognized Riley outside, so we made a call to the Full Bucket line, and found out who would be here. We are headed that way to start working." She explained.

~~~
Helen smiled a little "Connie would like that, I'm sure. She remembered when I ran under that name" She said then tried to look towards Scotty to see what she meant. 

Scotty took off the safety helmet and glanced around, waving to Julia and Helen when he caught them looking at him. He turned the welder off nad got it settled to wait for the next time it was needed.
~~~
Lilly chuckled and went with the kids to get the supper made and packed in a basket to take with them and found thermoses to fill with drinks for each of them so they wouldn't go thirsty either.When they were done, they would head back to get those things settled in the cab.
~~~
Roger raised an eyebrow and looked at the drink then to her again. 
(marshmallows?)

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 am

“Oh really?  You guys are the new help that I heard Mr. Iverson talking about?” Dirk said, a bit surprised, but pleasantly so as Jim came up to join them, standing by his love’s side.  “Ahh, so I take it you two are close, eh?” Dirk chuckled.  “You married?”

Jim laughed and leaned over to kiss Starr's cheek.  “Not yet, but hopefully we will be soon enough.  Been engaged for about eight months now, we’ve just been looking for a good place to settle down with some good, steady jobs before we tighten the knot.”

~~~
“Yeah, I can tell.  She gets a little sparkle in her eye whenever she looks at you,” Julia said happily, glancing over at Scotty and waving back to him.  “You’re intertwined with a lot of her childhood memories.  Hell, you might be the root reason that been so interested in trains since she was eight.  You’re super special to her, she’s going to be getting to fulfill a childhood dream by driving you, and you can bet your tender that she’s laid claim on your right seat once you’re up and running.”

~~~
By the time they returned to Rosie's bay, Connie would already have the diesel’s tanks full, the pumps turned off, and would be stowing the hoses back in the pumping station.  “Oh wow, great timing you three!” she said excitedly as she headed back up towards the F7's cab.  “You guys ready to try starting up two fifteen-hundred-horsepower engines for the first time in fourteen years?”

~~~
(Yeah, sure, let’s go with that…)
When he glanced down at his drink, Roger would see a generous helping of mini marshmallows floating around in the hot cocoa.  By the time he looked back up, Ashley would be bouncing away and giggling, almost out of sight already.

Corey laughed a bit as he drank and said “Man, that kid is a trip…”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:35 pm

Starr looked to Jim and smiled happily at him, glad to be with her fiance. "Yes, we are the new hires" She said, returning her attention to the two men as Gus saluted them with the bottle and said congratulations to them both before taking a short drink.

~~~
"She is enthusiastic" Helen agreed and chuckled softly "I think she will be a wonderful part of my crew." She added softly. She did like the young woman and hoped they could work together, no matter the name she used.
~~~
Lilly chuckled as the kids got settled with the basket in their places then nodded to Connie. "Let's get her started and on our way" She said excitedly. 
~~
(What else would it be? ...You make me feel young and nieve, lol)
Roger smiled at the marshmallows and grinned "That she is." He agreed, tasting the cocoa to make sure nothing else had been added before he would drink more of it. She was a trickster after all, so it paid to be careful.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 Today at 3:54 pm

“Well it’s definitely nice to meet you two,” Dirk said with a smile, chuckling as he watched Gus’ drink salute.  “I’m sure it’ll be great working with you guys in the coming months, hopefully longer.  Where are you two lovebirds from?”

“Olympia,” Jim answered, smiling and returning Gus’ quick salute.  “Worked for the UP there for a year before I crushed my foot in a coupler.  When I got taken to the hospital it was Starr here that was my doctor and surgeon and we fell for each other from the first day.  She put me back together, but by the time I was well enough to work again the company had gone ahead and fired me.  This job is gonna be an amazing second chance for us, and a great way for me to stick it to the Union Pacific, you know?”

~~~
“Indeed she should be,” Julia agreed.  “Hey Scotty, are you really done already, or are you just pretending to be done so I’ll leave you alone?”

~~~
“My thoughts exactly,” Connie said with a smile.  “Lilly, how about to give your training a bit of a start, head back and turn on all the fuel pumps.  There’ll be four here and four in Rosie’s booster.  Once you’ve done that check the magnetos and make sure they’re working right, then come back up here and we’ll try and start her up together.

~~~
(Wouldn’t it be obvious?  The marshmallows were a distraction for the laxative she put in the cocoa, you doof, XD)
“She said that her mom gave her something to put in your drink…” Corey said speculatively as he drank his cider.  “But Ash knows where to get the marshmallows, and she just does it whenever she wants… If Connie wanted to flirt, which is what that sounded like, she’d have just made your drink herself and then probably thrown it at you from across the room… That kid is up to something…”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Today at 6:44 pm

Starr smiled and nodded, looking to Jim again. "We are glad to have this chance to join your company and work with real trains." She said, though she figured she would be the doctor for the company, if they would allow that. That was more her calling than running trains or cooking.
~~~
"Yeah, I'm done with this, just letting it cool" Scotty replied with a chuckle. 
~~~
Lilly listened to her then nodded and bit her lip a little nervously as she went to do as she said. First things first, that was starting the pumps both on the engine then the booster. Next was checking the magenetos and see if they were working right. When she saw they were, she headed back to the cab so they could try to start Rosie.
~~~
Roger frowned and looked in the cup then to Corey again. "Surely she wouldn't do something that would make someone unable to work, right?" He hoped the marshmallows were all that was in it. He sighed and headed for the kitchen anyway.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

View previous topic View next topic Back to top