The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The year is 1970.  The American railroad industry is modernizing at an incredible pace, and steam locomotives as a species are being killed off in preference of more reliable and efficient diesel-electric locomotives.  Thousands of the old iron giants are being dragged off to scrap yards and smelting plants in long, ominous funeral trains, their eyes wide and pleading for help that will never come to any human they pass by on their way to their inevitable deaths.  To their old crews, these locos are family, but to the industry, they're now a liability, worth nothing more than their weight in scrap steel, at a rate of about forty seven dollars per metric ton.

In northern Washington State, trouble is brewing in the small railroad city of Fort Fairfax.  The local railroad company has been run out of business by the mega-tycoon that is the Union Pacific.  With the rail line shut down and deteriorating from years of disuse, the only way in and out of the valley was via the main 'highway', Route Seven, but on December 8th, 1970, heavy snow and ice caused a rock face in the mountains to collapse, completely burying three miles of Route Seven under millions of tons of granite boulders, snow, and ice near the town of Saint Josef.  Luckily only ten people were killed, but the road was rendered completely impassable, practically cutting off the entire valley of Bucket Falls from the outside world.  (There are other roads out of the valley, but Route Seven was the only one that was remotely safe in winter conditions, and the only route capable of supporting large trucks in any weather)  The only hope for Fort Fairfax, as well as the neighboring towns of Thomas Canyon, Josha's Cradle, Simonville, and Dunk Town, and the hamlet of Elena Junction, was reopening the old railroad.  The two main industries in the canyon, Dyken's Coal Mine and the Lena's Mineral Mining Company, were among the first to get onboard the bandwagon of reopening the line, followed closely by the Dunk Town Sawmill and Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals.  The companies could all theoretically survive through the winter by temporarily shutting down their operations to save capital, then reopening after the spring thaw would allow for Route Seven to be cleared and rebuilt, but in a rare stroke of plain humanity all four of the company CEOs decided that the railroad reopening would not only be good news for all of them, but more importantly, would be good news for all the people living in the valley.  With the support from the local industries and the residents of the valley, a group of citizens from Fort Fairfax formed the Full Bucket Line Preservation Society, which soon enough became the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  The initial investments from the industrial companies provided the FBLRR with most of the initial capital they needed to get most of the line repaired to the point of being safely usable, but that still left them with a rather serious problem.

What the hell good is a railroad with no locomotives and no rolling stock?

When the line was first shut down, the Union Pacific bought up everything worth recovering at the bankruptcy auction, which included all the locomotives and nearly all of the rolling stock.  There were a few cars left behind scattered around the line, but all needed serious work if they were even salvageable at all, and even all of them put together weren't going to be enough to run the railroad with.  Luckily most of the old railroad's employees were local residents, so there was no shortage of qualified workers, but the company was quickly running out of cash, and they still didn't even have any locomotives.

And so the search began for the trains that could help to save the valley of Bucket Falls.  For the size of the line they would be trying to run, starting off they would need at least one or two small locomotives for shunting work and pulling maintenance trains (probably small steam tank engines or diesel switchers), two or three mid-sized locos for general freight traffic and short, local passenger trains, and one large, powerful main-line locomotive for bringing the big freight trains in and out of the valley, as well as pulling the fast passenger services.  It's a tall order, but hopefully the folks at the FBLRR can find some of what they need without breaking the bank.

And hopefully the engines themselves will be willing to cooperate after being neglected and cast aside for so long.

~~~~~

Okay, so if you can't tell, this is a world where many of the vehicles that humans build and use are sentient beings, sort of like in "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "Cars" (if Cars had humans).  They have a fair bit of control over themselves, but still need human crew to fully operate most of the time.  They do have faces, but not Thomas-style faces where it covers most of the front of their body.  They're much less intrusive, being just eyes and a mouth somewhere that makes sense on the front of their body, like this:
As sentient beings, they've all got their own personalities and feelings, most have names, they can feel pain and other physical sensations with surprising sensitivity.  Their bodies are a bit flexible, but not quite to the extent of the characters in "Cars".  When a locomotive and its crew are familiar with one another and have formed a tight bond, one can expect to see significantly better physical performance out of both.  The mental health of a sentient vehicle has a significant and direct impact on their physical capabilities, meaning a happy, satisfied train with a good crew that they're close to will tend to perform significantly better than their design specifications say they should be able to, while a depressed or angry locomotive or one with a crew that they're always at odds with will have substantially worse general performance, or may even straight-up refuse to work at all.

Please keep in mind for the vehicles that most of what the FBLRR is going to be using/getting their hands on is going to be old, outdated, and generally unwanted equipment.  Very little, if anything, is going to be new or modern (for the present time period of 1970) so try to keep to trains that were built between the 1940s and the early '60s, or were being retired from service in 1966 at the latest.  Trucks could probably be a bit newer, like '68 or '69 (giggity), but toss in some older ones as well for added historical nostalgia stuff.

Character Forms:

Human:

Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Personality:
Relevant skills:
Recommended/Desired/Current job:
Other:

Trains:

Name: (If they were ever given one, or can remember their name)
Class: (The exact type of train they were.  Please be specific.  If you have an idea about what you want from the character, do some searching online to find something that might match what you want)
Personality:
Picture (Optional):
Other:

Trucks:

Name: (Again, if they ever got one)
Personality:
Picture: (Optional)
Other:

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Re: The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:04 pm

“Alright, both excellent choices,” the waitress said with a smile as she took their four menus.  “You want your first drinks now or coming with the meal?”

“I might as well take it all together,” Dirk said with a shrug as the girl glanced to Gus for his answer.

~~~
“And I don’t want to see you or any other kids like you stay here any longer either,” Connie agreed, smiling hopefully and giving Alice a little wave before heading back to get back into Skylar with Cat and head back to the railyard.  “Wow, you two seem really close,” she said to the younger girl once they’d both climbed in and they started driving again.  “How long have you and Alice known each other?”

~~~
“Nope, nothing so far…” Julia grumbled.  “Whole lotta junk that I’m sure can and will be useful for all sorts of stuff, but nothing that would suit our purposes as of yet…”

~~~
(Hmm… I might need to work on doing a better job with my initial descriptions of the arrangements of rail cars and consists and the track layouts whenever we enter an area for the first time in a scene.  The tankers were split up into two separate strings, six with #6 oil and four with diesel, but they were both parked on the same track.  So Duck and crew coupled up to the oil tankers by Duck’s front coupler, so that he was at one end of the consist but facing the cars rather than facing the direction they’d be moving.  Then they simply pulled forwards and coupled up to the diesel tankers with the oil tankers, so all the cars are now together, there’s nothing left we have to add to anything.  Not your fault at all, just me wrongly assuming that all railroad lingo and terminology and procedures and yadda yadda etc. would be easily picked up/apparent.  I’ll do a better job of that in the future, maybe draw out some crude diagrams of the track arrangements in each of the major places on the route.  Hmm… there’s an idea…)

“Yeah, so do I,” Ben said as they slowly picked up speed, leaning out the right side of Duck’s cab and watching backwards around his coal bunker as they trundled along.  “We might need to find a dedicated railroad snowplow as well, or at least a modular snowplow we can attach to your front to help clear the tracks ourselves if we get another bad storm, won’t that be fun?”

“Don’t start it Ben,” Ashley groaned jokingly as she kept feeding and stoking Duck’s fire nicely.  “Julia and my mom have got enough stuff to do already, we don’t need to stack building Duck a snowplow on top of that all.”

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:32 pm

"Drinks with the meal would probably be better." Gus agreed and glanced to Dirk then down again, rubbing his forehead a little. He was re-thinking getting drunk this early. 
~~~
Cat got in the truck after a final hug then looked to Connie at her question. "Alice was a railroad kid like I was, her dad worked with mine, but she lost her mom when she was born. Her dad died when she was ten and she got sent here." 
~~~
Scotty nodded and kept looking until he found a piece that might work "This good?" He asked, holding it up a bit.
~~~
Duck chuckled and watched the tracks as they moved. "Yeah, we should let Julie get some of the other projects done before we add another one. Besides, I'm sure if we had to we could refit that one that was on Riley if it was an emergency."

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)
Gold Pieces: 15 g 42 s 86 c

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:13 pm

“Alright, I’ll go put in your orders, it’ll probably be about fifteen minutes.  Just holler for me if you need anything else,” she said with a smile before heading off to the kitchen.

“Something the matter Gus?” Dirk asked curiously.  “I mean, other than what brought us here in the first place…”

~~~
“Oh really?  Wow, I guess that means it’s only Nathan in our group that has no prior experiences with the railroad in his family, or at least that we know of,” Connie replied as they headed back towards the sheds, catching a glimpse of Duck and his short fuel train trundling along once they got to a portion of the road that ran parallel to the edge of the railyard for a couple miles.  “Oh gee, look at that!  Duck’s already out and working!” she said excitedly.  “I guess he must have passed inspection flawlessly then, that’s great!”

~~~
“What?  Hang on, lemme get over there to see…” Julia called from across the building.  A moment later she appeared out of the eerie darkness next to Scotty and carefully looked over the piece of boiler wall that the younger engineer had found.  After a moment of inspecting it for corrosion, warping, any cracks or other defects, as well as making sure it was flat enough, she smiled widely and said “Oh wow, this’ll be perfect for what we need!  Nice find Scotty!  Now it’s a bit too big for what I’d consider ideal, so we’ll have to trim it down to size a bit, but that shouldn’t be too difficult considering it’s only a three-eighths inch thick plate.  We can burn off these edge pieces where it used to be rivetted together pretty easy with a cutting torch, and once that’s done I think it’d be just about the perfect size.”

~~~
“Yeah, I suppose we could,” Ben said in agreement.  “Though we’d probably need to strengthen it a bit to be able to handle the forces you’d be putting on it without breaking.  We’ll work it out though, I’m sure.”
As they were pulling back into the main part of the yard, Ben slowed them down a bit so Ashley could hop out and run back ahead of them to realign the switches to send them towards where they could offload the fuel from the cars into the storage tanks by the roundhouse.  “Oh hey, look at that,” he chuckled as he looked off to their right side towards the road.  “It’s Sky, Cat, and Connie.  Must’ve taken them a while getting everything together from Cat’s old home.”

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
I AM THE SALMON MODERATOR
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:26 pm

Gus shook his head and looked to Dirk "No, no trouble. I was just rethinking getting drunk. I still want to forget, I just..." He sighed and shook his head, putting his head in his hands and his elbows on the table. 
~~~~
(re-arranging for better flow)
Scotty grinned at her and nodded, picking up the piece so he could carry it out of the shed "Good, then let's get this out of here." He said, nodding for her to precede him out of there. 
~~~
Cat shrugged and nodded then looked out the window to see Duck and his cars. "That's good, at least you...we have one fully working engine." 
~~~
Duck smiled at that and glanced over to Skylar and her passengers "Want to give them a 'hi' honk?" He asked Ben and Ashley, chuckling softly and watching Ashley run to pull the switch in place.

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:52 pm

“Gus, its fine,” Dirk said, reaching over and putting a hand comfortingly on top of one of Gus'.  “You just found that you lost an old friend this morning, I think you deserve a good chance at forgetting the experience.  And I’m here with you to help make sure you don’t get yourself hurt or in trouble.”

~~~
“Yeah, watch your feet though!” Julia said as she helped lift up the other end of the heavy piece of steel and they started maneuvering it out of the machine shop, then carefully started making the trip across the numerous parallel tracks between them and the main building.  “Please don’t slip or anything, I do *not* fancy getting my stomach impaled by the corner of this heavy thing…”

~~~
“Yeah, it is 'we' now Cat,” Connie said with a smile, giving a few short honks from Sky's horn in greeting.

~~~
“Yeah, I think it’s only appropriate to return their gesture,” Ben said with a smile as he reached up and gave Duck's whistle cord two short yanks in reply to Sky's horn.  He glanced behind them and smiled when he saw that Ashley had all the switches aligned properly already, and was leaning back against a signal pole to rest for a moment as the train rolled back towards her.

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:46 pm

Gus looked to him again then nodded. He sighed and looked around the restaurant for something to distract himself until the food and beers came. "I know man, I just...I don't want Sam to see me like that. She's wonderful but it isn't right to make her deal with me drunk" 
~~~
Scotty nodded, walking as carefully as he could with her "Yeah, that would not be good at all, for either of us." He said truthfully.
~~~
Cat flushed and dipped her head at that "I'm working on seeing that." She said softly. She smiled softly at the honking passed between them
~~~
Duck smiled at Ashley as they coasted to her again to pick her up for the rest of the ride.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:08 pm

“I’m sure she’d understand, Gus,” Dirk reassured his sure to be eventual partner.  “She’s a gem, she really gets you, I can tell.  And besides, you remember the whole ‘If you can’t handle me at my worst, you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best’ idiom?  This could prove to be a good test for your relationship, and I’m sure it’s a test that she’ll pass.”

~~~
Julia nodded and leaned against the wall when they reached the main building, grunting a bit as she briefly held most of her portion of the weight of the plate with her left hand.  She then quickly pushed the door handle down and yanked it open before stepping into the threshold to have the piece of steel they were carrying hold the door open for them.  “Almost there…” she said with a grunt.  “Let’s set it down just inside and we can use a pallet jack to roll it over towards the back of Helen’s tender.”

~~~
“Well I’m sure it’ll become natural soon enough,” Connie said with a smile as they drove, Duck and his train soon seeming rather distant as they neared the sheds and pulled up to the building to head inside.  She gave a short honk from Sky’s horn to alert anyone inside listening that they were out there waiting and to open the bay door for them.  “Oh man, this is exciting.  I might be able to take Rosie out as early as tonight if some of that is fuel for her.  It’s been so long since I was sitting in a locomotive cab driving one, it’ll be a really welcome feeling.”

~~~
Ben watched as Sky kept going down the road, easily outrunning their slow, careful pace, but he wasn’t bothered by it.  Ashley climbed up into Duck’s cab again and a few minutes of slow backwards travel later they were pulling alongside the worksheds on the opposite side from the roundhouse, passing where Sky, Connie, and Cat were waiting to be let in.  He gave a series of toots on Duck’s whistle, two longer blows, one short, then one more long one as was required when approaching a grade crossing, briefly blocking the other trio in against the shed as they pulled past.  “Here we go, the fuel drop-off platform is right here,” he said as he slowly cut off steam flow to let Duck coast in towards the platform.  “We can just leave all the cars here and then head back to the shed, and we’ll deal with getting the fuel started pumping once you’re back inside, how about that?”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:04 pm

"I know she would, she was there for me after Jennie." Gus said, remembering that time then sighing again. He knew Sam was one of the best beings he had ever met, just like Jennie had been in her way and Dirk was in his way. 
~~~
Scotty nodded and set his end down after she had. "That sounds like a good idea." He said, leaning the end against his side and waiting for her to bring the pallet jack over to set it on there and pull it to the trains. 
~~~
Cat looked to her then to the door as it opened for them and Sky. "What will you be doing if you can take Rosie out?" She asked curiously. "Would I be able to ride along?" 
~~~
Duck didn't mind either, he was on a job. Now if he wasn't on a job he might want to race the truck, but right now they didn't have the fuel or time for that. He coasted in to put the fuel cars in place. "I think getting back inside will be good." He agreed happily.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:13 pm

“Yeah, and now all three of us can be there for each other going forward for here,” Dirk said, getting up for a moment and heading to the jukebox to turn on some nicer, light-hearted music before returning to the booth with Gus.  “So do you mind telling me about your time with Jenny?  She sounds like a great girl, and being able to wrangle one of those big Duplex locos is no small feat.”

~~~
“Yeah… oh man I gotta beef up my workout schedule…” Julia huffed, chuckling a little as she ran off and disappeared behind Sam's bulk.  A moment later she returned, dragging the pallet jack behind her.  She brought the device over next to where Scotty was waiting with the piece of patch metal, then got the jack rearranged to make it easy for them to lay the patch down on top of it.

~~~
“I don’t see why you couldn’t come along,” Connie said with a smile as she pulled Sky inside and parked her neatly alongside where Riley usually parked, then shut off her engine and got out.  “And we’d be heading up to Dyken's to get a consist of coal to use for Helen and Duck.  I was thinking about bringing Lilly along to start training her up to possibly work as Rosie's driver, but I’m sure you could come too.”

~~~
“Dido,” Ashley agreed as the short train rolled to a stop and she hopped down and went forwards to tie down the brakes on the tankers.  She had to yank on the bar to unlock the couplers a few times before it gave and released the mechanism, then she gave a wave to Ben and hurried to climb back onboard.

“Alright, that’s the cars taken care of properly,” Ben said as he started pulling Duck back away from them again.  “You’re running pretty smooth for not having been steamed up in so long,” he added with a smile.  “Anything feeling funny to you?”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:27 am

Gus chuckled softly, thinking about Jenny and riding with her. He started talking about her, from when they were first put together by Erin then to their work together before the end of the line. The meal came while he was talking so they could eat as he talked about her.
~~~
Scotty chuckled and held the piece until the jack was in position and they could set the piece on it to get it to the trains.
~~~
Cat smiled at that again, glad to hear she could ride on the train again. Even if they had her work while on the way, she would still enjoy it.
~~~
Duck chuckled and shook his head a little. "No, everything feels good." He said cheerfully. He was glad of that because it meant he wouldn't be held up from another run once they got more coal for him.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:29 am

Dirk listened curiously as Gus began talking at length about his past, monologuing for the most part even after their meals and drinks arrived and they started eating.  “Wow, a hundred and fourteen miles per hour with a twelve passenger train, that’s a pretty impressive career record, Gus,” he said in response to the engineer talking about his and Jenny's best run, which had also turned out to be one of their last together.  “Definitely not belittling what your old girl could do, but I think Sam has what it takes to come out on top of that.  What happened to your old fireman?  I’m guessing you guys parted ways after the Pee-Arr-Arr sold Jenny and laid you guys off?”

~~~
Once the two had gotten the piece of old furnace wall  down on the jack they started rolling it over towards the rear of Helen's tender and Julia said “So you good with a cutting torch?  If you are, I’m thinking maybe you cut some clean edges on this thing while I go about the task of thawing and draining the giant block of ice in Helen's boiler.”

~~~
“Hey, Lil', you around here?” Connie asked as she got out of Sky and started heading over towards where their (likely sleeping) F7 locomotive would be.  “Duck just got back with the fuel tankers, I was gonna try and get Rosie fired up and head up to Dyken's for the coal.  You wanna come with?”

~~~
“Perfect, that’s what I like to hear,” Ben said with a smile as he brought Duck to a gentle stop again once they passed the next switch.  Ashley quickly changed the points and climbed back on as they set off forwards again, running past the fuel consist and out back onto the main yard tracks so they could reverse back into the sheds again.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:00 pm

Gus nodded then shrugged "Yeah, he left to find a new job with his family somewhere in the south. I think he is still with trains, just running an electric now. We haven't talked since we had to split." He hadn't had a way to be contacted after all, neither of them had.
~~~
Scotty chuckled and nodded "Aye, I am good at cutting." He said cheerfully. He looked around for the tools to get started on that. "You go ahead and get started cleaning that ice out and I'll get started on this. Divide and conquer." He added with a wink before getting started.
~~~
Lilly looked over to her then came to her side and smiled "Good to hear that he's back safely. I would love to go with you for the other fuel." She said cheerfully.
~~~
Duck smiled as they headed back to the shed, glad the run was over even though it had been fun and good to move once more. "I hope we get more coal in soon, so we can go on another run when it's needed."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:33 pm

“Ahh, alright, well at least he’s doing okay for himself,” Dirk said.  He was close to finishing his first drink and his meal, though he didn’t plan on getting a second drink so he’d be unimpaired in order to drive them home safely.  He glanced over at Gus’ already empty mug and asked “You want a refill on that?”

~~~
“Alright then, the acetylene torch equipment is all on a cart in a room behind Sam,” Julia said with a smile as she pointed out where the room she was speaking of was.  “Just trim off the rough edges where the rivets are and don’t melt my floor if you can help it.  I’m gonna go get working on Helen’s ice issue.”

~~~
“And I’d love to have you and Cat both come with,” Connie said with a smile.  “It’ll be a nice length run as well, so I’m sure we can get in a fair bit of training for you on how to run an engine like Rosie.  She’s fairly simple to handle, and God knows we’re short on experienced drivers and engineers.   That coupled with the fact that you’re such a fast learner I think would make you perfect to be Rosie’s driver.”

~~~
“All of us sure do, Duck,” Ben said with a smile as he began slowly backing the dark green pannier tank loco down towards his and Malcom’s bay in the workshed as Ashley went back behind them to open the bay door.  “I think we’ll keep using these sheds for the time being until we can get all the tracks around the roundhouse cleared and we can be certain that the turntable is going to work when we want it to,” Ben added as they slowly pulled backwards into the shed, Ashley shutting the door as Ben brought Duck to a gentle stop in front of Malcom again.

~~~
“Oh wow, look at that Roger,” Corey said in surprise as the two men were walking back up to the sheds, having made their separate phone calls to the police about the happenings at the orphanage.  He was pointing to the frigid tanker cars sitting on the fuel dumping track next to the building.  “They must’ve gotten someone running and gone to get some fuel from the refinery.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:00 pm

Gus looked to his drink then nodded "Yeah, but I think just the one." He replied then shrugged. "Just talking has helped."
~~~
Scott nodded and went to get the torch to cut off the unneeded parts. 

Helen looked to Julia as she came over and gave the girls a small smile. "Hey"

~~
Lilly chuckled and nodded. "That does sound good. Do you think there would be enough room to bring Nathan, if he wants to come too?" She asked softly. 

"If he wants to go and there isn't room, he can take my place." Cat offered softly.
~~~
Duck nodded then chuckled "Yeah, you wouldn't want to get in there then not be able to get out again." He said as they came to a stop. "I hope that coal comes in soon so we can go on another run soon."
~~~
Roger smiled at that and nodded "not only running but certified too. We are a working company again." He said excitedly.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:37 pm

“Well if you really think so, I suppose that’s just fine,” Dirk said, shrugging a bit as he finished up his meal and drink.  “You think we’ll be able to get Sam running and cleared before Christmas hits?  The volume of traffic we’d have to handle with the other engines could be pretty extreme without her to handle the express passenger services and the bigger and faster freight trains.”

(Should we have Starr and Jim be a couple already?  Perhaps engaged but they haven’t gotten officially married yet?)

~~~
“Heya Helen,” Julia said as she came over and climbed up to Helen’s pilot with a pneumatic wrench and a few other tools.  “Just gotta open up your boiler inside so we can get all that ice melted and out for the repair work.  It’ll feel pretty awkward, but it’s not going to hurt, I’m sure.”

~~~
“Oh of course there’d be room!” Connie laughed.  “Have you guys seen Rosie’s cab?  It’s almost the size of my first apartment, and she has interior corridors around her motors, we’ll be fine.”  She chuckled slightly at the sound of the F7’s loud snoring again and added “That is, provided we can get her to wake up…”

~~~
“Man, you sure are an eager one, aren’t you?” Ben chuckled as he hopped down out of Duck’s cab and patted the small engine’s side.  “Don’t worry, we’ll get there soon, don’t sweat it enough that your joints rust up.”

For the moment, Ashley sat back to rest in Duck’s cab, staying there so she could monitor the fire and make sure that it burnt itself out as cleanly and completely as possible before she would allow herself to leave and let Duck’s internals cool naturally.  “Wow Duck, you’re almost as excited about all of this as I am.”

~~~
“Yep, that much is official now,” Corey said with a smile as he saw Mr. Iverson come out of the sheds to look over the tanker cars, recognizable by his distinctive dark blue Navy jacket.

“Aha!  Perfect timing for you two to get back!” he said with a smile.  “Duck just got back with fuel tankers for Rosie, Sam and Malcom, and I want to get the fuel started pumping into the storage tanks right away.  I’m hoping to get Rosie on her way to get coal for Helen and Duck before it gets too dark out, so I want you two to get on that immediately if you don’t mind.  I know you’ve been out in the cold all morning, so I’ll be sure to have some hot drinks ready for you when you finish up.  What would you each like?  Coffee, hot cocoa, tea, cider?”

“I’d take you up on that cider, sir,” Corey said with a smile as he headed over to work the heavy fuel hoses free and start getting them hooked up to the tanker cars.

“Alright, one for cider, and how about you Roger?”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:31 am

"I hope so, I know she would love to be making runs like that" Gus said as he got a fresh bottle of beer and their plates were cleared. He took a sip of the new one, glad to have that buzz already started. 
(Yeah, they can be. When do we want them to come in?)
~~~
Helen looked to her then chuckled "Yeah, that will feel different, but it'll feel better with no more ice inside when you are done." She said cheerfully.
~~~
"I haven't" Cat said, blushing and looking away because she felt a little silly now. She glanced to Rosie then went over to the train, reaching up to touch her side. 
~~~
Duck chuckled and looked to Ben as he got out "I'm not worried, just excited to be working again. It's better than sitting still with no hope." He said, liking that Ashley was staying to watch the fire die down and make sure it wouldn't do anything wrong.
~~
Roger chuckled and nodded "I rather like cocoa myself" He said cheerfully before waving and heading to get things set up to get the fuel in the trains. He was happy to get things going because it was a tangible way to show the company was now up and starting to run.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:39 am

“As would I,” Dirk said with a smile as he sat back a bit to relax as Gus started on his second drink.

(Ehh… right about nowish, lol)
“Hey, I think I know who that is…” Jim said, slowing JT down as he spotted Riley’s unmistakable shape.  “That’s the truck that Mr. Iverson told me about on the phone.  That means somebody from the company is here.”  He smiled and pulled over into a parking spot behind the big army truck and stopped, glancing to his fiancé Starr and adding “Here, we can head inside and phone Mr. Iverson to let him know why we’re running late, and maybe we can meet up with some of our new colleagues while we’re at it.”

~~~
“Yeah, that’s for sure,” Julia said as she crawled inside the front of Helen's boiler cavity and shone her headlight on the bulkhead of the boiler proper.  It took her a moment to get the right size head on the pneumatic drill, but soon enough she was ratchetting away and unbolting one of the main bulkhead plates bit by bit.

~~~
“Well then I guess today will be your first time,” Connie shrugged, grabbing one of her handy air horns from a nearby cart and grinning as she let off a few quick blasts.  Rosie's eyes shot open and her gaze darted around the room in surprise as Connie laughed and said “Come on, Sleeping Beauty, rise and shine!  We just got some fuel in for you that should be getting unloaded soon enough, so it won’t be long before we can have you gassed up and ready to take a shot at firing you up.”

“Ya know, ya coulda just called my name a few times or smacked my side a bit to wake me…” the grumpy New Yorker grumbled.  “Plus ya probably made me scare poor Nathan half to death, he was napping in my cab and keeping me company.”

~~~
“Yeah, anything is better than just sitting still for me,” Ashley said in agreement.  “I’m glad we found you, Duck, you’re fun.  I think I’m gonna really like getting to be your firegirl.”

~~~
“Alright then, I’ll have someone get right on that, thank you both for your help,” Mr. Iverson said with a smile as he headed back towards the door.  “Make sure you pump the fuel into the right tanks.  Number one's always been for oil, and number two was made later for diesel, and the pumping systems are different because oil is so much thicker and heavier.”

“Right.  Oil in one, diesel in two, got it boss!” Corey repeated with a smile as he double-checked the numbering on the hoses, then set the one he’d been holding down and grabbed the coupling joint at the end of a hose from the other set and went over to attach that to the first tanker of diesel fuel.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:10 am

Starr nodded and looked at the truck "How will we know who's here from the company?" She asked as they parked and got out of the truck, looking around before they headed inside 
~~~
Helen chuckled softly at the ratcheting, it tickled a little. She waited patiently, ignoring any uneasiness at being taken apart like this because she knew the gain to come. 
~~~
Cat tilted her head then went to the cab to open it and go in to look for Nathan. "Nathan, you ok?" She asked, not liking the thought he might of got scared.

Lilly came over to pat Rosie's side. 
~~~
Duck smiled again at that "I'm glad you were here for me to meet Ashley. I think we will make a good team." 
~~~
"Thank you" Roger said, helping to get the fuel transferred to the fuel tanks for the trains inside. He made sure they were doing things the right way as they had been told to.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:46 pm

“Well… I was gonna say we could ask him,” Jim chuckled, pointing to Riley as he shut off JT's engine and got out, heading around to open Start’s door for her.  “But on second thought that might prove to be a bit rude and difficult on account of… well…”

Riley was apparently dead asleep with his body leaning tiredly over towards the curb a bit, the sound of his snoring not unlike a large semi-truck downshifting at highway speeds.

“Yeah, maybe we should just head inside and either ask aloud if anyone here works with the Full Bucket Line, or we can ask Mr. Iverson who it might be that’s out here for us to meet when we call him.”

~~~
“Ooh, what’s the matter Helen?  You a ticklish one?  Oh boy, that’s gonna be fun for me,” Julia snickered as she worked, gradually getting one of the more moderately-sized boiler plates free and carefully setting it down to gaze in a bit of wonder at the huge wall of solid ice that loomed on the inside of the old Hudson's boiler proper.  “Ohhh boy, this is gonna be fun...  I’d love to find the guy who decided not to drain you out after they pulled you from service and give him a few choice pieces of advice…” she grumbled as she clambered out of Helen's forward boiler compartment, moving the pneumatic driver out of the way with her as she went to grab some other tools that she’d need to work on thawing the ice and removing the water as it all melted.

~~~
Nathan was indeed there and awake, but he thankfully didn’t seem to be particularly frightened.  Well, he at least didn’t look any more frightful and timid than he normally did, except around Lilly and Cat.  Those two girls seemed to have a sort of calming effect on the young Canadian boy, and he always seemed a bit more at ease around them for whatever reasons.  The trains as well he always seemed comfortable around, especially the two big steamers, Helen and Sam.
HeHe smiled when he saw Cat climbing up into Rosie's cab, followed closely by Connie and Lilly on the floor not far behind the other woman.  “Oh, hey Cat, Miss Connie, Miss Lilly,” he said happily as he stood from Rosie’s co-driver chair and stretched a little.  “What’s all the commotion about?”

“Well hopefully we’ll be able to get Rosie fueled up and started pretty soon here,” Connie said happily.  “And as long as that works, we're gonna take her and go off to pick up some coal cars from way up at Dyken’s to bring back for Duck and Helen to use.  If you’d like to come along for the trip, you’re more than welcome to.”

“Really?  You mean that?  Yeah, I’d love to come along!” the young boy said happily, moving over and gently hugging Connie's leg as she smiled and scooped him up to hug him back.

~~~
“I’m glad you were brought here for me to meet, Duckie,” Ashley giggled.  “And I’m sure we will make a great team together.”  Upon hearing Mr. Iverson calling her name she leaned out of Duck's cab and looked back towards the company Chairman.  When she watched him gesture for her to come follow him, she nodded and hopped down to the floor.  “Ill be back when I can, Duck, I gotta go see what Pops wants my help with, so long!”

~~~
“You know it’s a really good thing that these pumps and everything still work properly after so long,” Corey said in relief as the two men kept hooking up a correctly-linked hose to each of the loaded tanker cars, working their way down the consist.  “Mr. Iverson and his colleagues must have taken really good care of everything back when the Western Pacific still ran this place.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:57 pm

"Yeah" Starr said and chuckled "That might be best to ask Mr, Iverson first then go from there." She said and chuckled. She headed in the bar, looking around to ask for a phone.
~~~
Helen chuckled again and nodded a little. "Yeah, I am, just a little." She said and watched Julia get down to get some different tools. She was flushed now, embarrassed that her 'secret' was out.
~~~
Cat giggled softly, moving to look around the cab curiously. "Hold on" She said and left the cab, going to her boxes from her house. 

Lilly watched her run off then looked to Nathan again and smiled "Yeah, the four of us can go together with Rosie." She said softly. 
~~~
"Bye Ashley" Duck said, settling now that his fire was out and they were gone. Maybe now he would catch some shut eye.
~~~
Roger nodded and smiled "Yeah, it is a really good thing, and now we will have everyone running that we can and be working as a real railroad company again." He said happily as they finished setting up so they could start pumping.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:00 pm

“Yeah, I agree honey,” Jim said as he shut JT’s door behind her, then, being the gentleman that he was, he quickly went ahead to open the door into the bar for her as well.

“Hey there, welcome to Leo’s!” one of the waitresses said in a happy greeting when she saw the pair come inside.  “We’re just starting the lunch service now, what can I help you with?”

~~~
“Ohh that’s bad news for you girl, Connie's a troublesome one, and I’m certain that she’s gonna be your engineer once we get you up and running,” Julia said when she returned with a portable sump pump and an electric heating coil (you know, one of those short little tube-shaped things on wheels that you plug in and it’s like a mini turbine, just blowing a stream of hot air out one end) and got those set up in the right positions.  “Welp, here goes nothing…” she said as she flicked on the heating coil then just sat back to watch and wait.

~~~
“Yeah, like a fun little road trip almost,” Connie chuckled, watching curiously as Cat climbed down from the diesel’s cab and headed back over towards Sky.

Nathan smiled at the thought of that, then looked up at Lilly with a ray of hope in his eyes.  “M-miss Lilly, I heard some rumors earlier today… a-are you really gonna a-adopt me?...”

~~~
“Yeah, I’ll say,” Corey chuckled as he went along the consist and double-checked all the fittings, then smiled and turned on the fuel pumps to get things flowing.  He watched the pressure gauges on the tankers slowly start to recede, and after a moment he saw the fill gauges for the fuel storage tanks behind the sheds start to slowly creep upwards.  “Haha!  How about that?  Looks like there’s no leaks anywhere, system pressure is holding nicely.  Hot damn, it all still works!  How about you go ahead inside and tell everyone that the fuel is on it’s way, I’ll hang out here and shut off the pumps when the cars are empty.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:55 am

Starr smiled at the server then glanced around "Do you have a phone we could use?" She asked gently. She could see there weren't many people here, so once they had a name or desription, they shouldn't have much trouble finding who they were looking for.
~~~
"Oh? Why is that bad news?" Helen asked worriedly. Connie seemed like a good person to her before. 
~~~
Lilly smiled at Nathan and nodded "Yes, as soon as we possibly can once we get everything straightened out with the governments."

Cat came back after a little while with both blankets and a couple of pillows so she and Nathan could sit on them and let the women have the two seats they needed to do their jobs. 
~~~
Roger nodded and grinned "Give a yell if you need me back" He said and headed inside to give them the good news.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:48 am

“Oh yes, of course, right over here miss,” the young woman said with a smile as she led the pair off to a small booth built into the far left wall of the room, beside the counter and the doors to the kitchen.  Inside there were a few pay phones on the walls with tethered phone books on shelves beneath them.

~~~
“Because she’s known and feared in the whole of Washington State as the ‘Prank Master General', and since I’m sure she’s going to be your engineer, you being ticklish is gonna be something she’s going to exploit big-time,” Julia chuckled.  “She’s easily the most hilariously playful woman I’ve ever met, and she’s clever too.  Just watch yourself, that’s all I’m saying.”

~~~
Nathan smiled at the sound of that, then looked to Cat as she climbed back up into Rosie’s cab with them.

“Oh wow, good thinking Cat,” Connie praised the teen as she went to sit up in Rosie's driver's seat, looking over some of the old items that had been left behind by her old crew.

~~~
“Alright, I will!” Corey called back as Roger headed back inside the building.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:42 am

"Thank you" Starr said, going to the phone to call the company. She held the phone so that both of them could listen as it rang.
~~~
"Oh" Helen said quietly, thinking on what Julia said and hoping it would be as bad as she made it sound. She didn't want tickling pranks, not that those would be easy with a train, but still, such pranks weren't fun for her. 
~~~
Cat flushed and found a place to set the things down so they would have them for later. "Thanks' She said softly.

Lilly smiled and moved to hug Nathan gently "I will do my best to become your adoptive mom Nathan, I promise you that" She said then looked to Roger as he came over to tell them the news.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:30 am

On the fourth ring, the pair would hear somebody pick up, then a familiar voice saying “Hello, this is the Full Bucket Railroad in Fort Fairfax, Company Chairman Henry Iverson speaking, who is this?”

“Mr. Iverson, it’s James Ellis and Starr Jennings,” Jim said, smiling as he heard their new boss pick up.  “I’m sorry that we’re so far behind when we told you we would be getting there today, there was a minor avalanche that blocked the road just outside of Lake Hurst.  We were stuck there for hours while they cleared the snow from the roads, we only just got into Newton.  Again, sir, I’m sorry to have left you hanging like this.”

“Oh don’t worry about it Jim, it’s quite alright,” Mr. Iverson said, his voice full of grace and understanding.  “I’ve lived around here my whole life, and I know full well just how treacherous and cruel these mountains can be in the winter.  I appreciate the call, but you guys can just get here whenever you’re able to, alright?”

“Thank you, sir, we're both really looking forward to working with you,” Jim said with a smile, glancing to Starr so that she could be a part of the conversation.

~~~
“What’s the matter girl?” Julia asked in concern as she started up the sump pump to start removing the gradually melting water from the bottom of her boiler.  “You sound worried.  If you think Connie’s liable to hurt you, you’ll be fine.  She’s a pain and a jokester, but she steers away from pranks that would actually hurt anyone.  Even if those are sometimes the funniest ones.  You’re gonna be fine, trust me, I’m just saying… you know… keep your eyes out and don’t let your guard down around her.”

~~~
Connie and Nathan both beamed at the combination of Lilly's kind promise and the news from Roger.  “Oh sweet, thanks Roge'!” the bubbly blonde said as she jumped up, opened the door on the other side of Rosie's cab (so that she wouldn’t have to climb or jump over Roger in her excitement) and slid down the rails of the whole ladder to the ground in one smooth motion.  “Come on Lilly, let’s start getting Rosie and her booster gassed up!  I’m sure she’s as eager to get going as me!”  By the time Lilly would be able to reach the cab door, Connie would already have a feeling hose hooked up and sealed on the F7's main fuel tank with the diesel fuel already flowing.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:03 pm

Starr smiled at the kind voice on the other end "Yes, we will be getting there as soon as we safely can" She said in assurance then glanced around the room "We made a stop here because we think we are in the same place as some of your people, we just aren't sure which ones." She said, explaining the situation a bit. 
~~
"I'm not worried about getting hurt" Helen said quietly. "I know you guys wouldn't hurt me on purpose, not after all this trouble to get us up and running." She paused then sighed. "It's no fun being tickled as a prank, not to me." There was probably a story there, but it wasn't something she wanted to discus. 
~~~
Lilly chuckled and followed at a more sedate pace, looking to see if she could do anything to help get Rosie ready to go once more.

Roger tipped an imaginary hat to them all and headed out to make sure Corey didn't need any help finishing up and unhooking everything.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top