The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The year is 1970.  The American railroad industry is modernizing at an incredible pace, and steam locomotives as a species are being killed off in preference of more reliable and efficient diesel-electric locomotives.  Thousands of the old iron giants are being dragged off to scrap yards and smelting plants in long, ominous funeral trains, their eyes wide and pleading for help that will never come to any human they pass by on their way to their inevitable deaths.  To their old crews, these locos are family, but to the industry, they're now a liability, worth nothing more than their weight in scrap steel, at a rate of about forty seven dollars per metric ton.

In northern Washington State, trouble is brewing in the small railroad city of Fort Fairfax.  The local railroad company has been run out of business by the mega-tycoon that is the Union Pacific.  With the rail line shut down and deteriorating from years of disuse, the only way in and out of the valley was via the main 'highway', Route Seven, but on December 8th, 1970, heavy snow and ice caused a rock face in the mountains to collapse, completely burying three miles of Route Seven under millions of tons of granite boulders, snow, and ice near the town of Saint Josef.  Luckily only ten people were killed, but the road was rendered completely impassable, practically cutting off the entire valley of Bucket Falls from the outside world.  (There are other roads out of the valley, but Route Seven was the only one that was remotely safe in winter conditions, and the only route capable of supporting large trucks in any weather)  The only hope for Fort Fairfax, as well as the neighboring towns of Thomas Canyon, Josha's Cradle, Simonville, and Dunk Town, and the hamlet of Elena Junction, was reopening the old railroad.  The two main industries in the canyon, Dyken's Coal Mine and the Lena's Mineral Mining Company, were among the first to get onboard the bandwagon of reopening the line, followed closely by the Dunk Town Sawmill and Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals.  The companies could all theoretically survive through the winter by temporarily shutting down their operations to save capital, then reopening after the spring thaw would allow for Route Seven to be cleared and rebuilt, but in a rare stroke of plain humanity all four of the company CEOs decided that the railroad reopening would not only be good news for all of them, but more importantly, would be good news for all the people living in the valley.  With the support from the local industries and the residents of the valley, a group of citizens from Fort Fairfax formed the Full Bucket Line Preservation Society, which soon enough became the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  The initial investments from the industrial companies provided the FBLRR with most of the initial capital they needed to get most of the line repaired to the point of being safely usable, but that still left them with a rather serious problem.

What the hell good is a railroad with no locomotives and no rolling stock?

When the line was first shut down, the Union Pacific bought up everything worth recovering at the bankruptcy auction, which included all the locomotives and nearly all of the rolling stock.  There were a few cars left behind scattered around the line, but all needed serious work if they were even salvageable at all, and even all of them put together weren't going to be enough to run the railroad with.  Luckily most of the old railroad's employees were local residents, so there was no shortage of qualified workers, but the company was quickly running out of cash, and they still didn't even have any locomotives.

And so the search began for the trains that could help to save the valley of Bucket Falls.  For the size of the line they would be trying to run, starting off they would need at least one or two small locomotives for shunting work and pulling maintenance trains (probably small steam tank engines or diesel switchers), two or three mid-sized locos for general freight traffic and short, local passenger trains, and one large, powerful main-line locomotive for bringing the big freight trains in and out of the valley, as well as pulling the fast passenger services.  It's a tall order, but hopefully the folks at the FBLRR can find some of what they need without breaking the bank.

And hopefully the engines themselves will be willing to cooperate after being neglected and cast aside for so long.

~~~~~

Okay, so if you can't tell, this is a world where many of the vehicles that humans build and use are sentient beings, sort of like in "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "Cars" (if Cars had humans).  They have a fair bit of control over themselves, but still need human crew to fully operate most of the time.  They do have faces, but not Thomas-style faces where it covers most of the front of their body.  They're much less intrusive, being just eyes and a mouth somewhere that makes sense on the front of their body, like this:
As sentient beings, they've all got their own personalities and feelings, most have names, they can feel pain and other physical sensations with surprising sensitivity.  Their bodies are a bit flexible, but not quite to the extent of the characters in "Cars".  When a locomotive and its crew are familiar with one another and have formed a tight bond, one can expect to see significantly better physical performance out of both.  The mental health of a sentient vehicle has a significant and direct impact on their physical capabilities, meaning a happy, satisfied train with a good crew that they're close to will tend to perform significantly better than their design specifications say they should be able to, while a depressed or angry locomotive or one with a crew that they're always at odds with will have substantially worse general performance, or may even straight-up refuse to work at all.

Please keep in mind for the vehicles that most of what the FBLRR is going to be using/getting their hands on is going to be old, outdated, and generally unwanted equipment.  Very little, if anything, is going to be new or modern (for the present time period of 1970) so try to keep to trains that were built between the 1940s and the early '60s, or were being retired from service in 1966 at the latest.  Trucks could probably be a bit newer, like '68 or '69 (giggity), but toss in some older ones as well for added historical nostalgia stuff.

Character Forms:

Human:

Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Personality:
Relevant skills:
Recommended/Desired/Current job:
Other:

Trains:

Name: (If they were ever given one, or can remember their name)
Class: (The exact type of train they were.  Please be specific.  If you have an idea about what you want from the character, do some searching online to find something that might match what you want)
Personality:
Picture (Optional):
Other:

Trucks:

Name: (Again, if they ever got one)
Personality:
Picture: (Optional)
Other:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Re: The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Starrnico on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:50 pm

Helen watched him coming and looking at her then asking about her past. She sighed and looked back to Gus before mumbling something. 

"Helen, I know you are quiet, but you gotta speak up if you want out of here" Gus said, coming over to pat her and wipe some snow off.

"I don't like to talk about it" Helen said at a more normal tone, though it was still quiet. 

~~~
Anna looked to him then back to Malcolm before making a note of his name, number and price. "I think that's a good deal, and he will certainly have plenty to keep him busy. What is next, the mid size or the larger engines?" 
(alright Smile )

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)
Gold Pieces: 15 g 42 s 86 c

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:13 pm

"Oh come on now, don't be like that," Dirk chuckled a bit as he crawled under Helen's undercarriage with a flashlight and started looking around, brushing snow and ice away as he inspected her for any obvious flaws.  "You can tell me, and it can't be all that bad, can it?  You look like you're in reasonable shape, so you clearly didn't get overworked or get in a wreck or something, so throw me a bone here, girl.  You worked for the CP, right?  What'd they have you doing and how'd you end up here?"

~~~
Malcom didn't seem to respond at all to the news that he'd basically just been purchased and saved from the scrap heap as Chris made a small chalk mark on the left side of his boiler, then said "Well the big stuff we keep all the way in the back of the yard, but the medium locomotives are mostly right between here and there, so how about we move to them first, then finish off with the big one?"

(Actually, just remembered something I had planned for Malcom that could conflict with that, so you mind if we use Helen for the rescue?)

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
I AM THE SALMON MODERATOR
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:59 am

(lol, that works)

Helen sighed and closed her eyes briefly. "I'm here because I lost my crew in a car wreck and wouldn't work with the idiots they hired next. I acted up and they sold me off." Helen gave the short version quietly, not looking at either of them.

Gus drew in a breath and looked at Helen, touching her boiler again "I'm sorry Helen, I didn't know any of that." He had never pushed for answers.
~
~~~
Lilly nodded and looked to Malcolm again "See you in a bit Malcolm" She said in farewell and turned to walk with Chris.

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:54 am

Dirk went a bit quiet after hearing about how Helen had lost the ones that are basically a train's family, pausing for a moment in thought before he replied with "Well I'm very sorry to hear that, Helen, but maybe this could be a new beginning for you, if you're willing."

~~~
"Yeah, sure..." Malcom mumbled in disinterest as Chris and Lilly strode away.

The pair soon made their way over towards where Gus and Dirk were investigating Helen, after browsing past a few other locomotives that Chris didn't try to pitch very earnestly.  "Hey, Vasa!  What are you doing here?" he barked when he saw the disgruntled ex-engineer standing there.  "You trying to sabotage my stock because you're sore about your old loco?"

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:43 am

"So long as you don't pair me with idiots who think it's okay to smoke in my cab" Helen said then sighed and went silent as Chris came over. 

Gus frowned and looked to Chris, folding his arms "You do enough sabotaging your own 'best stock' without interference from me"

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:53 am

"What are you talking about?  What reason would I ever have to ruin my business by doing that?" Chris snapped.  "I told you I don't want to see you around here anymore.  Stop molesting my engines and get out of here before I have Elaine call the cops."  Dirk looked on in a bit of surprise, but a few of the other engines around them were looking on with snide satisfaction at watching Chris getting so pissed off.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:04 pm

"Selling perfectly good engines that have many years of life left in them to a smelting plant, arresting me for fighting for my girl. You don't call that sabotaging? Look around yourself, so many of these engines could work again with just a little love and care, but all you care about is your 'bottom dollar'." Gus said angrily "I would never hurt these engines, not even to hurt you."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:16 pm

"Well now, you only lie when your mouth is moving, don't you?" Chris practically growled.  "You got arrested because you were interfering with a private business transaction and endangering your own safety.  I won't warn you again, Vasa, get out of my yard or I'll have you arrested again.  I don't scrap the best locomotives, I only scrap the ones that I know don't have a future and are only worth their weight in scrap steel.  If it leaves this yard on a funeral consist, it's because that's all they'd be good for."

"Eat sh#t and die!" came an angry shout from a nearby NYC F7 diesel engine.  "That's a lie and you know it you slimy little pig!  You scrapped Jessie to get back at Gus because you didn't like his attitude when he showed up here with her!  Jessie was perfect, for God's sake she was driven here under her own power only a year ago, and you killed her just to spite Gus!"

"Nobody asked you Rona, or Risa or whatever your name is!" Chris shot back.

"Come on Gus," Rosie cried.  "Hit him, please!  Mash him right in those teeth he's lying through, since none of us can do it ourselves."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:11 pm

"Rosie, I won't start a fight, but if he wants to start one, I will certainly finish it." Gus stated, glaring at Chris. That hurt him, to know that Rosie was right, but that if he started a fight, they would have a real excuse to throw him in jail instead of the faked one they had used before.

Lilly moved closer to where Dirk was, watching this interaction with interest. "What do you think? I want to take him with us, he obviously cares for the engines, even those that aren't bonded to him. We should also take as many engines as we can from here." It was so sad to hear about what Chris did to the living machines.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:00 pm

"Yeah, you know that you'd lose if you started a real fight this time," Chris said angrily.  "Now, I'm going to continue working with these wonderfully understanding customers I have waiting here that you've gone and made a scene in front of, and by the time I'm done with them, I want you off of this yard, and I don't want to see you come within a hundred yards of this property ever again, do I make myself clear?"

Dirk glanced over to Lilly and nodded his agreement.  "Yeah, while he was leading me around he showed me two engines that I think would be perfect, both of whom are one-of-a-kind.  We definitely aught to bring him onboard, and I've got an idea about how we might manage to snag ourselves an extra loco or two."  He raised his voice a bit and looked at Chris, then said "Alright, I think I've seen enough of this.  Clearly this yard is not nearly as reputable and professional as you claim it to be, so we'll be forced to take our business elsewhere.  It's a shame, really, that man that you're screaming at had already convinced me on two pretty major sales before you even showed up."  He turned to act like he was starting to leave, but stopped when he heard an almost desperate yell from behind him.

"No, wait!" Chris shouted, swearing under his breath.  "I-I'm dreadfully sorry that you folks have had to go through all of this trouble and watch this... unpleasant display.   Once Mr. Vasa is gone, I'm sure we'll be able to... a-arrange some sort of compensation for this disturbance, right?"

"Now you're talking the language I wanna hear," Dirk said, internally letting out a shout of triumph as he turned around with a smile.  "That sounds like a wonderful deal, Christopher, and I'd love to discuss those terms with you.  Gus, if you would kindly, I think it'd be best for you to head out of here to keep this from getting any uglier.  Don't go too far, though, I'm sure we can give you a ride somewhere once we're done."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Gus snorted at what Chris said then looked over to Dirk, trying to hide a smile so that Chris wouldn't turn on them before he nodded and left, going to the front and the strange vehicle there. It had to be theirs, but there were more people in it...hm

Lilly followed along with Dirk's  acting, though she kept quiet during it. Something was certainly going on, but without enough details, she wouldn't say anything to jinx it. She was glad when the whole situation turned in their favor though. "We did pick out a dockyard switcher in the other section, this one you were looking at and whichever others you think we can get."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:12 pm

Riley was asleep again, snoring loudly as Gus approached the vehicle, and Ben was looking out the opposite window at some of the other trains scattered around the yard, but Roger might see Gus and alert the others to his presence.

~~~
"Yes, of course," Chris said.  "We already discussed the switcher, and I think $2,500 is a reasonable price for him.  What other locomotives did Gus show you?"

"Helen was one, The Canadian Pacific H1b Hudson," Dirk said.  "And then Samantha, the SP GS-7 prototype, I want her too."  He glanced up at the one other engine who had spoken up and called Chris out and could tell from the look in her eyes that she was scared, that she feared she'd be hauled off as soon as that evening as punishment for how she'd embarrassed Chris.  "You know, I think that F7 unit there would probably work pretty well as compensation for that little accident, don't you think?"

Chris winced at the mention of that, glancing up at Rosie with a look that said 'you're so lucky right now' before he looked back over at Dirk and put on a fake smile.  "Y-yeah, I think that'd work, and you know what, I've got an old GWR Pannier Tank engine in the back of the lot that I'll throw in for another two thousand.  I have the paperwork to show he's in good shape."

"That sounds excellent," Dirk said, sending a smile towards Rosie, who looked to be on the verge of tears of joy and relief as the three humans began walking towards Helen.  "I think that perhaps thirteen thousand would be adequate for her."

"Are you serious?  She's worth more than that just for her weight in steel.  Sixteen is more like it."

"Fourteen and a half and you've got a deal."

"Really?  Not even fifteen thousand?"  Chris sighed, but sensed Dirk wasn't going to budge, and knew he'd still at least have made a two grand profit on Helen at that price anyways.  "Fine, Fourteen thousand five hundred for the Hudson."

The two shook on that deal, then started heading towards Sam's location, a smile growing wider on Dirk's face as he played this #sshat for everything he was worth.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:26 am

Roger did notice and tilted his head curiously "We have company" He said when the guy stopped, looking at Riley then glancing back to the building. 

Gus looked at the truck then glanced to the building. It was the only strange vehicle here right now, so he walked closer after a moment "Hello?"

~~
Lilly was busy marking down the prices, adding them up on her paper. 2,500 for Malcolm, 2k for the pannier tank, 14,500 for Helen, Rosie for free, yay. That was already 19k and 4 engines. She was so glad that Dirk had come along on this trip.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:02 am

(lol, I think I really did just TOTALLY forget about Connie, basically my main human character, XD)

Riley, of course, was still passed out asleep and wasn't likely to change that anytime soon, but when Roger noticed Gus approach the truck both Connie and Ben turned to look and both of them visually analyzed the newcomer.  Ben zipped up his coat and got out to speak with him.  "Hey, you're that guy that we saw walking off with our friend earlier, right?  What happened with that, and what're you doing over here now?"

~~~
"And now for the big one, the GS-7," Dirk said with a smile as they made their way over towards where the once-proud Southern Pacific locomotive sat.  "Go ahead, make an offer," Dirk said, baiting Chris into hopefully making a mistake.

"Well, what were you folks thinking about as far as an offer?" Chris deflected.

"Hey, you're the expert," Dirk said with a shrug as he started walking over towards Sam as if he were going to inspect her again.  "You're the one who knows more about what this thing is worth," he lied.  Based on his previous inspection, he could tell that in her current condition, Sam was worth upwards of a hundred thousand dollars, and once she was fixed up and in full working order she'd easily be a quarter-million-dollar engine, but he definitely wasn't about to let Chris know that.

Chris was quiet for a moment, then turned to Lilly and said "I can probably do forty eight thousand."

Dirk must have overheard that as he leaned back away from Sam's pilot (the front of the boiler, where her face is) and laughed.  "That's hilarious man, seriously.  Forty eight?  That's a joke, she's got close to five million miles on her, she's been sitting in the elements for almost fifteen years, she's worn out.  I'd say twenty is much more like it."

"Really?  No, not happening," Chris said firmly as Dirk headed back towards Sam's cab.  "I could go forty, but that'd be pushing it."

Unbeknownst to Chris, Dirk seemed to have whispered something to the old steamer and she appeared to be straining to do something, her face contorted a bit with the uncomfortable effort of the task.  After a moment, she winced in pain, but managed to keep from crying out and quickly managed to pull her expression back to one of grim anxiety.

"Hey, Chris?  You say forty thousand, but from what I can see here, her booster engine is garbage!" Dirk called.  "They don't make parts for these anymore, and without it it's gonna be d#mn difficult just to get her rolling with any sort of significant load.  If you knock about eighteen off your current offer, that's about what she's worth in this shape."  Chris angrily made his way back towards where Dirk was and inspected the booster engine mounted on the trailing truck under Sam's cab with him for a moment.  The two had a somewhat heated, vigorous debate for a time before they eventually shook hands, Chris looking a bit defeated and bitter as Dirk said to Lilly "Go ahead and chock up Sam here for twenty six thousand, I think that'll probably be sufficient as far as engines go.  We can probably go ahead and take a look at some passenger cars while we're here, if he's got any, right?"

"Oh, yeah, yeah I've got coaches.  As a matter of fact I've got a whole consist of Budd coaches from the old California Zephyr train that I think you guys would like."

Dirk arched an eyebrow and smiled as he again followed after the yard manager, honestly surprised by his own capabilities for negotiating, price-debating, and stretching the truth about what he thought the trains were worth.  In his mind, they were basically robbing this guy blind, but he definitely didn't mind due to how it was clear he treated the trains here.

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Gus looked to Ben when he came out then nodded "Yeah, the guy, Dirk, he said he wanted to talk to me, and to stay close, so I am. Name's Gus." He said, holding out his hand in greeting "The owner of this place doesn't like me and ordered me off 'his property'. I hope your friend bilks him."

~~
46k total now but that was a lot better than 46k just for one engine. Lilly just hoped he hadn't gotten Sam to damage something they couldn't fix. She patted the engine and gave her a smile, making sure she and Rosie were marked as sold before they left that area to see the cars. She moved to Dirk's side and smiled at him before speaking quietly "I am so glad you came with me."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:16 pm

Been chuckled a bit as he shook Gus' hand.  "Really?  The owner that much of an #ss?  Well if he deserves it, so be it.  You wanna head inside or something to get out of the cold, or you fine out here?"

~~~
Dirk smiled and quietly said "Yeah, so am I.  I can read this guy like a billboard.  That engine, Sam, in present shape she's worth four times what we paid, once we've got her in top shape again she'll be worth ten times that much.  And that's before we consider that she's the only one of her kind ever built."  As they neared the back of the yard, Dirk whistled a bit, impressed at what he was seeing before him.  "Wow, you really weren't kidding," he laughed as he looked over the parked coaches, their stainless steel exteriors having lost their gleam over the years, but not having given in to visible rusting yet.

"Yeah, what'd I tell you?" Chris said, this time seeming to be a lot more genuine with what he was pitching to the pair as they made their way towards the closest of the cars to get inside and look over the interiors.  "Full consist for the CZ here, last used in 1958.  Baggage car, four
Vista-Dome chair cars, a Vista-Dome dormitory-buffet-lounge car, two sleepers, diner, another three sleepers, and the Vista-Dome dormitory-buffet-lounge-observation car.  You won't find much like this around anymore."

"Yeah, that I know is true," Dirk said as they stepped inside.  The air was stale and bitterly cold, but it was relatively still and quiet.  As they made their way through the passenger cars the upholstery looked old, but it wasn't too bad to clean up and use.  The windows were dirty, but intact, which was pretty big, and the equipment in the diner and the buffet cars was still there and looked usable.  "I tell you what man, there's a lot in this yard that I'm surprised hasn't been bought yet," Dirk chuckled as they looked out over the property from one of the Vista-domes.  "How much for the whole consist, as-is?"

"You want the whole thing?" Chris asked, clearly a bit surprised.  "I mean, you're only servicing five town on your own tracks, surely you don't need all this capacity?"

"Hey, better to have and not need than need and not have, right?" Dirk shrugged.  "Plus having the full string will help with passenger appeal, make the train look more professional, more sleek."

"Hey, it's your railroad," Chris shrugged as he thought for a moment.  "How about fourteen thousand?"

"How about twenty one and you throw in Rosie's booster unit?"

"You know what, sure, I can live with that," Chris said as he and Dirk shook hands on what would be the final trade they agreed to that day.

"Okay, I think we've got everything we need for now," Dirk said.  "You wanna head back to the office to make this official and call up a tow locomotives from the UP to help get our new toys home?"

"That sounds perfect to me," Chris said as the three started making their way back to the yard office, Dirk once again with a soft look of 'hell yeah, I win' on his face.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Gus looked at the guy curiously then nodded "Yeah, getting warm would be good. Truth is, I don't really feel the cold much anymore." He had been outside for too long, but, he didn't have a home to go back to anyway, so he didn't care.

~~~
Anna was amazed at his negotiating skills, they would have about 20k left to do repairs and such with all these engines and cars. It was great. "Yeah, let's get the paperwork signed and get them sent home to start working on them. I hope we have enough for all the repairs and new paint jobs for all of them." She said happily

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:30 pm

"Really?  Been out in it that long?" Ben laughed.  "Dude, you're probably colder than you think, we gotta get some hot cider in you or something before you turn into an ugly ice sculpture."

~~~
"I should hope so too, but if we've even got one engine that can run with minimal work done to them," Dirk reasoned.  "We'll have a way that we can quickly make some revenue of our own to finance other repair work.  Painting can wait until everyone's in working condition, I think, plus that'll give us time to come up with a company livery anyways.  Still haven't thought of anything, though I think that regardless of what the company uses, Sam deserves a nice coat of bright red and orange like her sister Daylight locomotives had."  He smiled at that thought as he, Lilly and Chris headed back into the yard office to finalize the paperwork.  "Lilly, how about you run and grab the case from the truck?" Dirk asked as he gratefully shut the door behind him.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:01 am

Gus laughed and nodded "Yeah, I've been out here a while." He didn't take offense, it was a joke after all, and he knew he wasn't clean given he had been working on clearing the snow off the engines that still cared enough. "It'll be sad around here if Dirk does get Rosie and Sam. Those are two of the best engines on the lot and the most talkative." 

~~
Lilly nodded then chuckled "You might be surprised" She said softly then headed for the truck to get the briefcase so they could finish the transaction. She had ideas for the livery herself, but they had to be approved.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:21 am

"Who're Rosie and Sam?" Ben asked as he and Gus headed inside, catching a glimpse of Dirk and Chris as they headed back into the office, and Ben held the door open for Lilly as she went past them to get the briefcase with the cash from her father.  "Do you work here or something, or used to work here?  You seem to know an awful lot about this place.  And even if they do get taken, they'll be coming to a good place that will appreciate and care for them, plus the tracks for the freight station run right past the front of the yard and the signals are right here, so whenever they have jobs that take them up here to Saint Josef, with how 'efficient' the rail traffic control system around here is I'm sure they'll be held up here for a good five minutes every time they pass, and that'll be time enough for a quick chat, don't you think?"

(I'll get the Micro Flu and Dragons later today, I promise X-X)

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:50 am

Lilly smiled at Ben and Gus, pausing as she grabbed the case to look to Gus "We are taking Rosie, Sam, Helen and Malcolm plus some of the cars from here." She said and waved before heading back in.

Gus sighed and settled in the seat, nodding. "I'm glad you folks are getting them. They deserve to be used again instead of staying here and wondering when they will be murdered. No, I don't work here, not for pay anyway. I just couldn't bear to leave after they took my Jeanie away to be scrapped. I stayed with the other engines, keeping the snow off them and trying to keep them clean, hoping for buyers that wouldn't kill them."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:31 am

Ben frowned as Gus told him about what had happened to his locomotive, reaching over to give the fellow engineer a firm pat on the shoulder.  "Hey, we've all been there man, I remember I was a total wreck when I lost my first loco, Judas.  He was a helluva guy, too, one of the Southern Pacific Cab-forwards, those monsters.  It's been eleven years and I still see his face at night, but I know I have to keep pressing onwards."  He was quiet for a moment, though when he watched Lilly come back through the room with the briefcase that gave him an idea.  "You know, Lilly there is the daughter of our company Chairman, Mr. Henry Iverson.  You're an engineer who seems to know his way around the place, and you said you're out of work, why don't you ask Lilly for a job and come back to Fort Fairfax with us?  Heaven knows we could use another experienced engineer, especially one who knows steam engines, I'm sure we could use you."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:07 am

Gus dipped his head, pleased by the offer. It would feel great to work again, especially with these engines he had come to care about so much. "I may just do that." After all, these people had taken the best stock here. Most of the others barely if ever spoke even to him. They had either died or had accepted that they would and didn't fight it. It would mean he couldn't do anything else here though, which was sad, but then again, if he stayed, he would get thrown in jail again.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:58 pm

"Well that's good to hear, I'd love to be able to work alongside you," Ben said with a smile as he headed over to a table to make a mug of hot cocoa.

About a half hour passed before Dirk and Lilly emerged from Chris' office, Dirk with a wide smile on her face.  "Alright, that about does it," he chuckled.  "Everything's done and paid for and the tow loco is on his way from Newton, so let's get everyone out there and get those engines greased up and ready to move.  It's gonna be hard, some of them are really gonna be stuck, but once we've got them moving it'll get a lot easier."

"Sounds like a plan, I'll go grab Connie and Roger," Ben said as he grabbed his coat before heading outside to do exactly that.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Gus looked to Lilly and Dirk when they came out and dipped his head "Glad you got them, you'll give them a good working home." 

Lilly came out with Dirk, what was left of the money in her case and a smile on her face. She was happy with the negotiations and all the trains they had already gotten.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:39 pm

"Yep, you got that right," Dirk said with a smile as Ben came back in with Connie and Roger in tow.

"Oh, so Gus," Ben said as they all started heading outside into the yard.  "Now that everything's finalized and paid for, isn't there something you'd like to ask Lilly?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum