The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The year is 1970.  The American railroad industry is modernizing at an incredible pace, and steam locomotives as a species are being killed off in preference of more reliable and efficient diesel-electric locomotives.  Thousands of the old iron giants are being dragged off to scrap yards and smelting plants in long, ominous funeral trains, their eyes wide and pleading for help that will never come to any human they pass by on their way to their inevitable deaths.  To their old crews, these locos are family, but to the industry, they're now a liability, worth nothing more than their weight in scrap steel, at a rate of about forty seven dollars per metric ton.

In northern Washington State, trouble is brewing in the small railroad city of Fort Fairfax.  The local railroad company has been run out of business by the mega-tycoon that is the Union Pacific.  With the rail line shut down and deteriorating from years of disuse, the only way in and out of the valley was via the main 'highway', Route Seven, but on December 8th, 1970, heavy snow and ice caused a rock face in the mountains to collapse, completely burying three miles of Route Seven under millions of tons of granite boulders, snow, and ice near the town of Saint Josef.  Luckily only ten people were killed, but the road was rendered completely impassable, practically cutting off the entire valley of Bucket Falls from the outside world.  (There are other roads out of the valley, but Route Seven was the only one that was remotely safe in winter conditions, and the only route capable of supporting large trucks in any weather)  The only hope for Fort Fairfax, as well as the neighboring towns of Thomas Canyon, Josha's Cradle, Simonville, and Dunk Town, and the hamlet of Elena Junction, was reopening the old railroad.  The two main industries in the canyon, Dyken's Coal Mine and the Lena's Mineral Mining Company, were among the first to get onboard the bandwagon of reopening the line, followed closely by the Dunk Town Sawmill and Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals.  The companies could all theoretically survive through the winter by temporarily shutting down their operations to save capital, then reopening after the spring thaw would allow for Route Seven to be cleared and rebuilt, but in a rare stroke of plain humanity all four of the company CEOs decided that the railroad reopening would not only be good news for all of them, but more importantly, would be good news for all the people living in the valley.  With the support from the local industries and the residents of the valley, a group of citizens from Fort Fairfax formed the Full Bucket Line Preservation Society, which soon enough became the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  The initial investments from the industrial companies provided the FBLRR with most of the initial capital they needed to get most of the line repaired to the point of being safely usable, but that still left them with a rather serious problem.

What the hell good is a railroad with no locomotives and no rolling stock?

When the line was first shut down, the Union Pacific bought up everything worth recovering at the bankruptcy auction, which included all the locomotives and nearly all of the rolling stock.  There were a few cars left behind scattered around the line, but all needed serious work if they were even salvageable at all, and even all of them put together weren't going to be enough to run the railroad with.  Luckily most of the old railroad's employees were local residents, so there was no shortage of qualified workers, but the company was quickly running out of cash, and they still didn't even have any locomotives.

And so the search began for the trains that could help to save the valley of Bucket Falls.  For the size of the line they would be trying to run, starting off they would need at least one or two small locomotives for shunting work and pulling maintenance trains (probably small steam tank engines or diesel switchers), two or three mid-sized locos for general freight traffic and short, local passenger trains, and one large, powerful main-line locomotive for bringing the big freight trains in and out of the valley, as well as pulling the fast passenger services.  It's a tall order, but hopefully the folks at the FBLRR can find some of what they need without breaking the bank.

And hopefully the engines themselves will be willing to cooperate after being neglected and cast aside for so long.

~~~~~

Okay, so if you can't tell, this is a world where many of the vehicles that humans build and use are sentient beings, sort of like in "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "Cars" (if Cars had humans).  They have a fair bit of control over themselves, but still need human crew to fully operate most of the time.  They do have faces, but not Thomas-style faces where it covers most of the front of their body.  They're much less intrusive, being just eyes and a mouth somewhere that makes sense on the front of their body, like this:
As sentient beings, they've all got their own personalities and feelings, most have names, they can feel pain and other physical sensations with surprising sensitivity.  Their bodies are a bit flexible, but not quite to the extent of the characters in "Cars".  When a locomotive and its crew are familiar with one another and have formed a tight bond, one can expect to see significantly better physical performance out of both.  The mental health of a sentient vehicle has a significant and direct impact on their physical capabilities, meaning a happy, satisfied train with a good crew that they're close to will tend to perform significantly better than their design specifications say they should be able to, while a depressed or angry locomotive or one with a crew that they're always at odds with will have substantially worse general performance, or may even straight-up refuse to work at all.

Please keep in mind for the vehicles that most of what the FBLRR is going to be using/getting their hands on is going to be old, outdated, and generally unwanted equipment.  Very little, if anything, is going to be new or modern (for the present time period of 1970) so try to keep to trains that were built between the 1940s and the early '60s, or were being retired from service in 1966 at the latest.  Trucks could probably be a bit newer, like '68 or '69 (giggity), but toss in some older ones as well for added historical nostalgia stuff.

Character Forms:

Human:

Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Personality:
Relevant skills:
Recommended/Desired/Current job:
Other:

Trains:

Name: (If they were ever given one, or can remember their name)
Class: (The exact type of train they were.  Please be specific.  If you have an idea about what you want from the character, do some searching online to find something that might match what you want)
Personality:
Picture (Optional):
Other:

Trucks:

Name: (Again, if they ever got one)
Personality:
Picture: (Optional)
Other:

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Re: The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Starrnico on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:06 pm

It's just good to know someone knows I'm here again" Frankie said, watching as long as he could before he was left to watching the shed again.
Gus was already in the truck, waiting to go. 

~~~
Cat nodded as she listened "She's already done the paperwork?" She asked, surprised things were already moving that quickly. "Alice would be glad to see me again. It's been a while." 
~~~
"Accounting, wood or metal working, things that will actually get them a job when they get old enough to leave, or they stay like I did" Tom said with a frown. "You wanna see them too?" This was the life he knew, all he knew, so he didn't see anything wrong with it.

~~~
Lilly frowned and patted Helen's cab lightly "Well, that just means it will be a little longer before we get her going, but we will get the repair done and call you for another inspection when she's ready for it." She said softly. 

~~~
A truck pulled up outside, letting a passenger off before it drove away. Scotty looked over the place then grabbed his bags and headed inside to find people. "Hello?"

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)
Gold Pieces: 15 g 42 s 86 c

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:50 pm

“Yeah, I agree,” Riley called back, giving a short honk of his horn in farewell.  With that, the trio pushed forwards through the snow, turned around, then started heading back out towards the road and onwards back to Newton.  “I’m really sorry you had to be the one to find Erin, Gus…” Riley said softly.  “I heard you guys were pretty close…”

~~~
Connie nodded in agreement as she, Antoine, and Cat all together finished packing up the clothes and other personal items, then began working on the leftover food.  “So then you do wanna take it down to the orphanage, correct?” Connie asked for clarification.

~~~
“Really?  Why would you choose to stay in a place like this?” Corey asked in confusion.  “There’s so much more out there, so much beyond this place, why keep yourself cooped up here?  Is it to try and help the other kids make it through?”

~~~
“Would it be sufficient if I took a couple steel plates and welded them over the bad spot on the inside of her boiler to seal off the weakness?” Julia asked Larry hopefully, since she really didn’t want to have to totally take Helen apart to do the repair work on her boiler.

“I really don’t know,” Larry sighed.  “I mean, I suppose it would be sufficient, but it wouldn’t be a permanent fix.  Sooner or later, you’ll have to take her apart for a proper replacement of that plate.”

“Well, that’s better than nothing,” she sighed.  “And I can probably get that done in two days or so, but it’ll put Sam’s repairs on hold as well.  Not much that can be done to help that, I guess.”

Larry frowned and shrugged as they started climbing down out of Helen’s firebox.  “I’ve got to make sure that the locomotives are fit and safe for operation before I can let them be used.  They’re huge tanks using thousands of gallons’ worth of high-pressure, superheated steam.  If there’s a flaw in the pressure vessel, they can easily become a bomb.  I’m happy to come back and do another inspection on her, but you’ll need to get some sort of good repair work done so she can be safely brought up to pressure regularly.”

“Yeah, I understand, I’ll get it done,” Julia replied with a short sigh as she helped put the bottom of Helen’s firebox back in place.

~~~
Mr. Iverson had just finished talking with Ben about taking Duck out on a test run when he heard the banging on the smaller street side door and went to investigate, letting Scotty inside with a smile when he saw him there.  “Aha, you must be Mr. Scott,” he said, inviting him inside and quickly shutting the door behind him to keep out the cold.  “Glad to see you’re here, I’m Mr. Iverson, the owner of your railroad and your new boss, should you decide to keep the job.”

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
I AM THE SALMON MODERATOR
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:22 pm

Gus nodded and lowered his head, staring at the floorboard as they headed for town. "He was like a second father to me, he paired me with Jennie, said we would be a good match. He always knew who would fit with an engine and who wouldn't. Made his bosses mad when they found out he was right, but they could never just admit he was right because he was always so ornery about when they paired wrong." He shook his head a little, giving a sad smile. "If he had learned to curb his tongue, he could have owned the whole business, but he was the type to always 'shoot from the hip' and said exactly what he thought, no filters." 
~~~
Cat nodded and looked at Connie. She did want to even though she was scared to go near there. "Yeah, they could use the good food for a change." 
~~~
Tom shrugged, looking uncomfortable now. He turned away, urging them to come so he could shut the door and lead them to the boy's teaching room, where they were working on carpentry. "They can make it through just as I did, but it's just a simple fact, no one wants an orphan, if not to put them to work. Girl or boy, it don't matter. If you have no skills, you aren't wanted. The only exception is a baby, and there are no babies here, just kids and teens. We don't take babies, we don't have the proper nurses or rooms for babies. At least I have a job here, not trying to stay warm on the streets." 
~~~
Lilly went to tell her father about the problem with Helen though she paused when she saw the new guy.

"Scotty, please." He said with a cheerful grin, looking around as he set his bags down to one side and took off his gloves and coat to lay them on his bags then reached out a hand to shake "Sorry I am to be so late, there was a bit of an avalanche on the road out ther'. They be clearing it up, but anyone behind me could take a while to get where they were going." He said with a strong accent, though he did try not to have too much brough in his speech. "I signed on for the job and am willing to keep it, so long as it's offered. I love working with the steamers."

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:46 pm

Dirk and Riley listened somberly as they drove and Gus poured his heart out over his late friend Erin, neither of them sure for a while of how to respond.  Eventually, though, Riley sighed and said “I know how you feel, Gus, I’ve lost friends before as well.  Back in December of ‘forty-five’, I was stationed right in the path of the Nazi counterattack into the Ardennes forest in Belgium.  When the Germans were on their way, me and a couple other guys managed to get out alive, but we left a lot of people and vehicles like me behind.  On the 18th, Patton was asking for volunteers to lead a push back through the German lines to rescue the rest of the 114th infantry division, my unit, that was trapped in Gouvy, Belgium.  I volunteered to go along, to help truck out as many people as we could.”  He shuddered for a moment as the weather out now reminded him of that time, then softly continued.
“There were another score or so of trucks and half-tracks that volunteered to go back into the forest after the guys we had left without, but we didn’t have much to defend ourselves against the German armor; just two regular M4A3E8 Shermans, one Firefly, and a couple of the guys in the half-tracks had M1 Bazookas or anti-tank rifles.  We managed to sneak into Gouvy unnoticed, loaded up everyone we could find, and started heading back out, but then we hit a roadblock.  A Tiger II rolled out right in front of our group and blocked the street, turned his turret to face us, and then he just started shooting.  No ordering us to stop or surrender or anything, he just started picking off the other trucks one by one.  The Shermans tried to stop him, but between the two “Easy Eights” they fired twenty rounds, hit twenty times, and not a single shot could penetrate his armor, not even in the side at point-blank range.  When the Tiger killed the two E8 Shermans I thought we were hosed, but once he turned to get his gun around and kill one of the last half-tracks, the Firefly came hauling-#ss out of an alleyway right next to him and put an AP round from that 17-pounder AT gun into his flat side, right beneath the turret at point-blank range.  The Tiger’s ammo rack detonated instantly, and the explosion killed him and collapsed a building that crushed the Firefly and his crew.  I and my passengers were the only ones to survive, except for a few wounded stragglers we found on the way out.  They had the nerve to praise me for being the only one to come back alive, when all I did was I backed up into an alleyway and hid the whole time like a coward while all my friends were slaughtered around me…”

~~~
“Well then let’s not disappoint,” Connie agreed with a smile as she and Ant quickly got the leftover food packed up into a box, then started schlepping the boxes outside to load into Sky’s second row of seats.

~~~
Corey followed along with him, watching and listening to his explanations for what went on here.  “Well maybe where I came from people are just a lot more charitable,” he said with a shrug to the line about nobody wanting an orphan unless it’s a baby or they can work.  “Still, those kids all look pretty skinny and worn out, you guys might want to get them some new clothes, or at least warm stuff, and get them some better food.  Then who knows?  Maybe people will want to adopt some of them if they look nice enough.”

~~~
“Well alright then, Scotty it is,” Mr. Iverson chuckled as he gave Scotty’s outstretched hand a firm shake.  “Well as long as you’re here and willing to work, consider yourself hired.  I might not be able to scrape together much of a paycheck for you until we can get some trains running, get contracts offered, and deliveries made, which could mean you work your first two or three weeks without any cash compensation, but if we can get this ball rolling, I promise you there’ll be a big fat check with your name on it sitting on my desk come the week of Christmas.”  He looked like he was going to continue, but then he saw Lilly walking up and paused, turning to her and asking “Yes, darling?  What is it?”

“Hey Duck, great news!” Ben said excitedly as he started going around the little pannier tank loco, carefully checking each of the braking systems they’d just reinstalled.  “Mr. Iverson gave us the go-ahead to take you out if you’re feeling up for it.  Nothing too strenuous, just a quick trip out to the petrochemical plant to pick up those fuel tankers for Sam and Rosie, then bring them back here and park ‘em close to the shops so we can pump the contents into the fuel silos.  You game?”

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:11 am

Gus reached over to pat Riley's dash as he told that story. That was so sad and he wasn't sure how to reply. "It's never easy to be the only survivor of any tragedy. There's always a level of guilt felt by the survivors, thinking 'I should have' or 'I could have' done something differently. That's why they say hindsight is 20/20, you can see more clearly when you aren't in the situation anymore."
~~~
Sky watched them as they came out and started loading her up. "Did you get everything?" She asked softly. 

Cat helped carry what boxes she could to the truck, making sure they would be able to get the food one easily.
~~~
Tom stopped and turned to them, a frown on his face. "Do you know how many even come to look at the kids here? Let me give you a hint. You two are the fifth people out of this entire year. Some years there were no people. The price to run this place is more than we get in funding. Like I said, no one cares about orphans. If all you are going to do is put us down without offering a donation then you can leave right now." He said with anger to his tone. 
~~~
"I have enough saved up to only need a room and food until the paychecks come in" Scotty assured then looked to Lilly and dipped his head in greeting to her, listening as she told her father what was happening with Helen and the delay on getting her inspection approved. There was certainly enough work here to keep him busy for a while. 

Duck grinned at that and cheered "Yes, I'm game, it'll be great to get out on the rails even for a short run." He said excitedly.

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:48 pm

“Yeah, I know…” Riley said softly as they drove.  “I had most of the worst wounded that could be moved, and I stayed in touch with everyone that was left as long as I could, but over the years we all got split up.  I’m not sure if any of them are still alive though, it’s been decades since I’ve heard from any of them…”

~~~
“Yeah, Sky, we got everything,” Connie said with a smile as she and Ant put the boxes they had into her back seat, then started back towards the room to get a few more.  “Probably gotta make two or three more trips, but then we should be good to go.”

~~~
Corey was quiet for a moment after what he heard Tom saying.  Maybe this place wasn’t quite as totally bad as it seemed to be, though he still felt the feeling he got off the woman from upstairs was nothing but nasty.  “Well fine, I guess we’ll leave then… I’m sorry to hear about the lack of interested people, but maybe if you didn’t have such a brutal up-front fee, more people would come and adopt kids here,” he said, frowning as he turned around and headed back out towards the lobby.

~~~
“Glad to hear you thought ahead like that, Scotty,” Mr. Iverson said with a smile.  “There’s certain to be plenty for you guy to do around here.  You said on the phone you were an engineer, and you’ve also got experience in maintenance and repair work, is that correct?  Because if it is, and you’re ready, I’m sure Julia’s already got some things you could help with.”

“Alright, glad to hear it!” Ben said with a grin as he went and grabbed his coat, then climbed back up into Duck’s cab.  When he got there, however, he found that Ashley was standing there.  She was grinning ear to ear with her coat on and a shovel in her hand, and had already laid out a proper spread of coal in Duck’s firebox.  “Well I guess we’ve found your new firegirl, Duck,” Ben laughed as he lit a small, oily rag in the shovel for Ashley, who then tossed it into Duck’s firebox to light the bed of coal waiting there.  A few minutes and another few shovels of coal later, and Duck’s fire was burning nice and hot by the time Ashley hopped down to go open the bay door.  The frozen hunk of ice in his main tank had melted into cold but liquid water, and by the time Ashley got back to his cab a head of steam had started slowly building up.  “How you feeling bud?” Ben asked as he flipped the headset he was wearing on.  Each of the engines was fitted with a simple electric intercom system, basically like automatic walkie-talkies, so that the crews could easily communicate with their locomotive even at high speeds and in very loud situations.  Thankfully Duck’s still worked fine, though Helen and Sam’s needed a bit of tweaking.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:52 pm

Gus nodded and looked down at his hands again, playing with the seatbelt strap. Riley was right, it was hard to keep track of old friends when they moved away.
~~~
Cat went to help bring out more boxes to the truck, she was glad to have her family things back once again. 
~~~
"We have to weed out the worst" Tom said and walked with the men to the door to show them out. "That fee is the total cost of all the adoption fees and getting all the paperwork filed, it just sounds big when given as one fee." 
~~~
Scotty chuckled and nodded "Tell me where to put my bags and I'll get started" He said cheerfully, looking to and picking up his pair of bags that had everything he owned in them.

Duck chuckled softly, he had noticed Ashely up there and didn't mind. "Yeah, looks like we did, that's wonderful." He said, wanting to go. "Oh, that feels good, I can't wait to get going again."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:42 pm

(Skip until they get to the Newton Regional Police Department?)

~~~

A few trips later Connie said goodbye to Antoine, then got into Skylar with Cat and they started making their way towards the orphanage.  "You'll introduce me to Alice when we get there, won't you?" she asked.

~~~
Corey nodded his understanding as he and Gus headed back outside into the snow, waiting until Tom had shut the door behind them before he turned and said "Well maybe this place isn't quite as evil as it might have seemed... I still think we should call the authorities, especially on that creepy old hag who hangs out upstairs, but maybe there's a bit more to this place than meets the eye..."

~~~
"Just go and find a locker over there on the wall," Mr. Iverson said with a smile.  "All of them that aren't occupied should still have the key in them."

"Good to hear," Ben said, waiting a few more minutes until the boiler pressure had built up sufficiently for Duck to have a good, strong head of steam.  "Alright, let's take it easy to start off with," Ben said as he began working the various controls in the cab, mumbling the steps as he went to help re-familiarize himself with the process of running a steam locomotive.
"Pressure's good, temperature's good... Reverser to forwards... Cutoff... let's do 15%... Brakes to release... and Regulator back one notch..."  He gripped the old, wooden throttle handle in his right hand and squeezed, releasing the notch lock, pulling it back one click to the very slow, first position, then waited anxiously to see what would happen as Duck was being fed the superheated steam that he would then use to work his pistons and get moving at last.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:18 pm

(Yep)
Gus looked to the police station as they drove up. He waited till they parked, feeling better for talking to Riley on the way. He waited till they parked then got out and went in to file the report and get the process started. 
~~~~
"If she's at the hedge I will." Cat promised and looked to Connie and offered a small smile. She liked Connie, she was so strong and sure of herself. 
~~~
Roger shook his head as they left the building then he looked to Corey. "Either that or the guy is brainwashed from growing up here." He said with a touch of anger to his tone. He had stayed silent because he didn't want to get kicked out before they saw everything. 
~~~
Scotty nodded and went to put his stuff in a locker and exchange it for a key. Lilly led him over to meet Julia so they would know one another. 

Duck grinned as they finally were able to get moving even if they started slowly. It felt so good to move under his own steam again. He whooped and did a short whistle out of excitment a they headed out.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:51 pm

Dirk shut Riley's engine off and said a temporary goodbye before heading inside with Gus, knowing that he could certainly use the comfort of a friend with him at a time such as this.

~~~
"Alright, good, I'd really like that," Connie said, returning the teen's smile with one of her own.  "And I'm sure Sky would like it as well, right?"

~~~
"Yeah, that's a definite possibility too," Corey said, glancing over curiously at the little girl in the hedge when they approached that spot again.  He glanced up behind him and saw that now most of the shudders on the windows of the upper floors had been closed, so he allowed himself to stop for a bit and see if the girl wanted to talk again.

~~~
Mr. Iverson chuckled as he watched her daughter leading the newcomer off to get to work as he walked briskly up to the front of the shops and gave a happy wave to Duck and his crew before closing the bay door to keep out the cold.

"Nice to meet you Scotty," Julia said, shaking the slightly younger, yet significantly bigger man's hand after Lilly introduced them.  "Tell me, you fancy yourself a good welder?  Work well in tight, enclosed, dark spaces?"  She chuckled a bit and shook her head.  "Ahh, I'll just get right to the point, I guess.  Wanna help me thaw a huge chunk of ice frozen inside a steamer's boiler, suck the water out, then squeeze inside and weld a couple of steel plates over a bad section of boiler bulkhead from the inside?"

~~~
"Good luck Duck!" Sam called happily as the tank engine trundled slowly out of the shed and out of sight.

Ben chuckled a bit and smiled as he saw that all the switches within view ahead of them were still set for them to head towards the plant where the fuel tankers would be waiting.  "Everything looks good back here so far," he said gratefully.  He brought the regulator back one more notch to give Duck a bit more steam flowing to the pistons, watching as the speedometer needle crept from 3mph up to 7 and held there.  "How about you Duck?  Everything feel good for you?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Gus would find an officer to talk to and explain the situation. They would have to deal with it from there. 
~~~
Alice looked up at the men as they came out again. She stayed where she couldn't be seen from the house, but could see. "Hi" She said softly. 
~~~~
"Doing some patch-work, huh?" Scotty asked with a chuckle, looking around for the tools they would need for this "We going to be getting measurements for a more permanent fix, or you already have them?" He asked curiously, not minding working under a woman's direction. 
~~~
"No problems" Duck said, looking around the area as they slowly trundled along. "It feels great to be moving again."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:58 pm

One of the on-duty officers took Gus and Dirk's statements and kept them briefly for a few additional questions, and in about an hour total they were free to head back to wherever they decided to go next.

~~~
"Hey, are you that girl that Cat's always talking about... Alycia, was it?..." Corey asked curiously.

~~~
"Yeah, gonna get that done while we're at it," Julia agreed as she led Scotty over towards where Helen was and Larry saw himself out after bidding goodbye to Lilly and her father.  "You ever seen a real 4-6-4 Hudson in the steel before?" she asked, chuckling as she felt she knew the answer.  "Or an SP GS-7 Class?"

~~~
"Feels great to be driving again too," Ben said with a smile, applying some gentle braking and reducing the throttle for a moment so Ashley could hop off, run ahead, and throw a set of points to send them off onto the short spur line that led to the petrochemical plant, rather than back towards the main line.  The short little brunette easily caught the cab ladder railing as Duck rolled past and clambered back up inside, then grabbed her shovel again and resumed the work of keeping Duck's fire burning hot and evenly.
Shoveling coal in a steam locomotive, even a small one like Duck, was incredibly taxing work, however.  Even with the cold she was already working up a sweat.  If she was serious about keeping this job, which she apparently was, she was going to feel like absolute hell for two or three weeks, but beyond that point she would have without a doubt the most ripped chest and arms of any teenage girl on the West coast.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:30 pm

Gus answered the questions then went to sit in the truck, staring out at nothing for a little while before he looked to Dirk. "Are we going home or can we find a bar?" He asked. He wanted a drink even though he wasn't a drinking man. 
~~~
"Alice" The girl said, perking up at the mention of Cat "Is she alright? She hasn't been around lately." 
~~~
Sky was happy to help and did want to meet the girl Cat spoke of. She was glad to drive them over to the orphanage 
~~~
"Heard about them and read about them, but haven't actually been on one before" Scotty said as he followed her. "Didn't they only make the one GS-7?" He was curious and really wanted to see her. 
~~~
Duck watched Ashley as she ran out to switch the lines over, making sure she got back on safely so they could continue on their mission. There was a reason more males did this job than females, the work was just that physically demanding. Soon enough his attention shifted to the world around them, enjoying the sights and making sure nothing started to feel wrong with himself.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:13 am

Dirk sighed and slowly nodded his agreement.  “Yeah, you know what?  I think I could go for a drink too, and who cares if it’s only 10:30 in the morning?”  He shrugged as they got back in Riley's cab and started driving again, and Dirk added “I think I saw a place on the way in, I’ll see if I can find it again.”

~~~
Corey sighed a little and said “Cat's fine, a good friend of mine has already filed paperwork for adopting her, but… there was an accident about a week ago and… her parents are gone…”

~~~
“Hey, look who it is…” Connie chuckled as they approached the building and saw Corey and Gus standing there by the fence.  “Guess we got done faster than we'd thought, or they hung around here for a while.”  She chuckled and pulled far enough past them to easily turn Sky around, then parked against the curb near the two males, searching curiously for what they were looking at in the bushes.

~~~
“Yep, only one prototype, number 4467,” Julia confirmed.  “But we’ve got her right here, in bay five on the far end of the shop.  She goes by Sam, and on top of that the engine we're gonna be doing the boiler job on, this is her right here.”  She smiled and gestured grandly to Helen and said “H1b class 4-6-4 Hudson, Canadian Pacific number 2816, quite possibly the last living non-streamlined Hudson in the world, and she’s ours to play with.  We call her Helen, but her true, lost name is actually Empress.”

~~~
It was about ten minutes before they made it far enough to reach the turn off for the refinery’s spur line, and due to the snow slowing down Ashley's progress sometimes, there were a few occasions where Duck rolling was simply too fast, and Ben either had to stop him completely before Ashley got to the switch, or even ran onto or past the switch, forcing Ben to reverse Duck back to a point where Ashley could change the points before climbing back onboard.  “Man, I’m glad I don’t have to do that much on the way back…” she said, catching her breath for a moment before persistently grabbing her shovel again and spreading a fresh layer of coal in Duck's firebox.  “I think that Uncle Iverson needs to hire someone as a switchmaster so that we won’t have to have engine crews doing this all the time, or at least not here in the home yard.”

“Yeah, I would agree, though it’d have to be someone inordinately good at multitasking and prioritizing things,” Ben said.  “Even though us humans are practically incapable of effectively multitasking.  So maybe just having twoor three people working the tower at once would work better.  I’ll bring it up with him though, I’m sure he’d agree that it’ll be a good idea, especially once we get more of the locomotives working and the volume of yard traffic picks up.  I mean, Fort Fairfax is home to the single largest and most efficient Petrochemical refining facility on the West Coast, north of San Diego, anyways.  I’m sure it won’t be long before there’s more tanker cars waiting in that marshalling yard than any of us could count.”  He laughed a bit anxiously at the thought of that much work, and said “That sound like fun to you Duck?  At least you’ll never be able to say you’re bored because there’s nothing to do around here.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:49 am

Gus nodded and settled in the seat, just staring out the window for now. He didn't know what was going to happen from here on, what would happen to Frankie and he didn't normally drink much, but this occasion deserved it. "When do you think a funeral would be?" Who would even be here to set up a funeral?
~~~
Alice covered her mouth with a hand, tears coming to her eyes at that news. "Poor Cat" She said softly then looked to the light blue truck that came to park nearby. She came out of hiding, leaving the hedge and the grounds to go to Cat and hug her when she saw her. 
Cat returned the hug, letting it linger then introducing Connie to Alice. Alice was shorter than Cat, even though she was older. The two could almost be opposites, Alice with blond hair and Cat with black, though they both had blue eyes. 
~~~
Scotty grinned at that news and looked at Helen, coming over to run a hand along her side. "Empress? I remember that name. You had quite a run going for a while there." He said gently. 

Helen looked at the new guy then to Julia before nodding a little "It's been a while since then" She said softly. 
~~~
Duck didn't like having to stop, though he understood the reasoning well enough to not say anything about it. He decided to treat the stopping and occasional backing up as a test of his new brake pads in his own mind just to settle any irritations from it. "Yes, that sounds fun to have all that work, being busy and having a purpose." He replied to the question, though he hoped the others were up and running by the time they got that busy.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:27 pm

"I'm not sure, but I know that I'll keep my eyes and ears open and make sure that whenever one happens, we'll be there," Dirk said, with Riley subtly nodding his agreement as well.  "Aha, here's the place," the human said with a smile when he recognized the pub he'd noticed on the drive in, and somehow managed to find a parallel parking spot long enough for Riley to fit in without hitting any other cars.

~~~
Corey and Connie both smiled as they watched the two friends reuniting with each other.  "So I'm assuming you're Alice then?" the older blonde woman asked with a smile as she crouched down next to her.

"Alice, I have a serious question for you," Corey said after a moment of thought.  "Tell me, what is it really like in there for you kids?  Is what Cat told us really true, about your living and working conditions?"

~~~
"Wait, you remember her too?" Julia said in a bit of shock.  "You look a bit too young for that though, she hasn't been steamed up in over fifteen years.  Our head Engineer Connie McCormick used to ride her trains with her father decades ago, but you couldn't be nearly 30 yet, could you?"

~~~
"You think that'll be busy," Ashley chuckled.  "Just imagine the yard at Simonville.  With coal coming in from Dyken's, mineral ore and gravel coming from Lena's, lumber from Dunk Town, and petroleum trains from here in Fort Fairfax, all converging there before heading out towards Lake Hurst via Saint Josef, I'd say we're lucky that yard has 27 yard tracks two miles long with switches between them every quarter mile.  We're liable to need more engines just for handling the work around there."

"Yeah, well that's in the future," Ben shrugged as they approached the refinery's pickup location.  "For now, let's just worry about fetching these fuel tankers and bringing them home for the others."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Gus nodded, he would watch for that too because he wanted to be there. He smiled at the way they parked, shaking his head a little "You certainly know how to park this rig. You two could probably park on a dime if you had to." Yes, it was a distraction, but he was glad for it.
~~
Alice looked at Connie and tilted her head "Are you the one adopting Cat?" She asked then looked to Corey at his question before nodding "If she told you what I told her, then yes. The lady that runs this place makes us eat that oatmeal stuff everyday, we have two sets of clothes to wear, one for when someone comes to see us and the other for everyday and we can't mix the two ever. We have to work everyday on the dresses or pillows and 'learn to cook' by making food for the homeless, but that's only for holidays and we only get what we can sneak away, or are given directly. The lady has her own cook upstairs. We can smell the stuff they make and eat up there. Only the people that work for her are allowed up the stairs, donations for us are taken up there after the donors leave. It's only clothes that stay, and that's only as replacement of worn out clothes, some of the clothes donations just get sold off if she wants a new bauble."

She said all that then stoppe taking a breath before going on. "I snuck up there once, cause it was too cold to come and hide outside. It's like a palace up there. All glittery and sparkly. It smells so good and not just the food, but the whole place, she has carpets and curtains and so many rooms with only one bed in the room instead of all the bunk beds we have to sleep in. They had a big white rug that looked like a bear, and it was so soft, I wanted to lay down on it and sleep there, but I would have got it dirty and got caught if I did. I almost got caught anyway, I had to hide in a closet. You wouldn't believe how soft her coats are. They were like that rug, furry and soft and warm." 
~~~
Scotty chuckled and held up his hands "I'm only 23 lass, I only saw her once in passing while working with my father. She wasn't running then, but my father told me about her as we worked on another train to fix that one up enough to go, but I remember. We couldn't get close enough to talk to her, but I did see her." 
~~~
Duck was listening to them talk, thinking about what it would be like to be that busy and smiling at the thoughts. He was ready to work like that again, but they had to get through this job first.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:04 pm

"Yeah, and give a nickel back as change," Riley added, to which he and Dirk both laughed.

"Yeah, we're an alright bunch I guess," Dirk said as he shut Riley's engine off and waited until there was a long break in the passing cars before he got out.  "We should be back soon enough Riles, don't go on any hot dates without us."

"Yeah yeah, just make sure one of you is more than sober enough to drive home," the old army vet said, just as serious as he was joking now.  "Because if you both come out buzzed, I'm not turning over."

(Something I just realized is a great side-effect of this world, drunk driving/flying doesn't really exist.  Because the cars have control in the end of whether or not they're actually going to drive at all, if their driver is in some way incompetent, they can just refuse to let their engine start in the first place.  Now with steam engines, a runaway locomotive couldn't just stop themselves by stalling themselves like something with an internal combustion engine could, since that fire's still hot and making steam and it's gotta go somewhere, but that's still an interesting tidbit.  Also means that steamers are naturally more 'wild' and hard to control/master, just like in the real world.)

~~~
"Wow, so I guess then Tom either has been brainwashed by living here so long..." Corey said with a reluctant sigh at Alice's words.  "Or he's lying to cover his boss's #ss.  Either way, that's a big problem, and this is a crooked organization that cannot be allowed to stand."  He looked to Roger and said "You wanna go make two anonymous phone calls to the county Sheriff and Child Protection Services from two separate phone booths?"

"Well we've got something with us that might help tide some of you kids over in the meantime," Connie said with a smile as she gestured back towards the blue and white pickup.  "Care to help us gather it up and sneak it in to the kids?"

~~~
"Ahh, alright, I see," Julia said in understanding.  "Well while we're waiting for Sky or Riley to get back and help us move some heavy parts around, you and I can go take a look out in some of the other buildings to see if we can't find any steel plates in good enough shape and of the right size to use to patch the bad spot in Helen's boiler.  You don't mind the snow, do you?"

~~~
The three of them soon pulled up to the platform and Ben brought them to a stop just beyond the short consist of loaded tankers on the second track.  He shut down his dampers and hopped out of the cab, telling Ashley and Duck "You two just hang here and keep warm for now, I'll go and find the manager and tell him we're here for the pickup."  All about not spending any longer in this snow than he had to, Ben then turned and quickly headed inside the main administrative building.

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:36 pm

Gus smiled at their banter, shaking his head and getting out. "I plan on being at least buzzed" He said quietly. Of course that may depend on if the place was even open this early in the day. Some places were closed in the day and open all night.
(Yeah, that would be a cool side effect, lol)
~~~
Alice was staring at the two men as they spoke then she shivered and  moved closer to Cat "If you get them in trouble, what will happen to us?" She asked, scared about the changes they would bring. She hated it here, but it was a place for her to live in. 

Cat embased Alice again then looked to Connie "We can't let it go inside, it has to be hidden. There's a loose rock in the wall on the side street that we used to keep out of sight, we can put the food in there for them and they come and get it as they want it." 
~~~
"I don't mind the snow, I've warmed up being in here, so i can go out there again." Scotty said with a grin. Yeah, he was eager to help Helen now, even in a temporary fix.
~~
Duck looked around at what he could see of this place as they pulled to a stop then chuckled a little at Ben's words. "We won't go anywhere."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:36 am

“Welp, then I guess I’m the designated light drinker today,” Dirk said with a shrug, getting a nod of agreement and a serious glance from Riley.  “Don’t worry, I’ll stick to my word, Riles, somebody’s gotta drag Gus home to Sam again anyways, right?” the ginger laughed as he and Gus headed inside.  Unsurprisingly, the place was mostly empty because of the odd hour, but it was indeed open, and looked to be a reasonable restaurant as well as a bar.

~~~
“Well, I think that the government would likely take temporary custody of you all,” Connie theorized as she headed back to get the box of foodstuffs from Sky’s back seat.  “And they’d likely offer you all up for adoption at reduced rates to local families for a little while before either setting up a new local orphanage or sending you to one in another city where people are more compassionate and you’d be more likely to get yourselves families.”  She would wait for the kids to start showing the way to this hidden loose stone and follow them carefully with the box in her arms.  “Although perhaps, with some convincing… some arrangements could be made for another of us to possibly adopt a certain sweet, young blonde girl so she and her best friend get to stay together…” she added with a sly smirk.

~~~
“Alright then, might as well get to it,” Julia said, buttoning up her own jacket, grabbing a flashlight and a pair of bolt cutters just in case, then heading out one of the several different human-sized doors spaced around the outside wall of the workshed.  This one let out towards the south of the building (or left, to the engines sitting in it), on the side with the tracks leading immediately towards the turntable and roundhouse down at the far end of the conjoined building.  There were five of these parallel tracks here, then a few odd sidings and turnoffs for a reversing loop that ran around the back of the roundhouse, then another set of separate buildings, all of which looked much worse off than the main hybrid building.  “We can start with this first one here, the old machine shop,” she said, pointing towards the closest building as she made her way across the tracks towards it.  The structure was a long, somewhat narrow 2-story brick building with a metal roof penetrated by several different smokestacks and vents

~~~
Compared to anything he would have seen in the UK, an American petroleum refinery complex would look almost alien to Duck.  It was gigantic, for starters, with the fence surrounding the buildings having seemed to be at least a mile and a half long on each side (that they had been able to see on the way in).  At least a score of giant cylindrical storage tanks towered up to five or six stories above them, some of them looking to be close to a hundred feet across.  These were all connected to each other and to all of the huge main buildings by tight, winding clusters of large-diameter pipes, most of them with thin catwalks sitting on top or hanging from the sides of them.  Where Ashley and Duck sat in the main loading area there were four separate tracks that each ran more than half the length of the facility, all of them covered under a small roof that extended off and down from where the tracks traveled out from under the roof of the loading facility’s main building.  There were also two more tracks marked for deliveries, where long tanker trains from Alaska and Canada would come in and unload millions of gallons of crude oil that the complex would take and transform into a wide variety of efficient petroleum products like diesel and jet fuel, as well as more common things such as regular unleaded gasoline and fuel oil.  Because of how intrusive the clusters of piping and the storage tanks and everything else was, despite its size, this piece of the facility at least felt almost cramped.

A few minutes later Ben came jogging out of the building with a wide grin on his face.  “You guys aren’t gonna believe this,” he laughed as he climbed into Duck’s cab while Ashley put a bit of fresh coal on the fire and opened the dampers back up, letting them start to ease backwards again once Ben let off the brakes.  “So there’s ten cars here,” the engineer said as they slowly rolled back past the relatively small consist.  “These first four here are filled with diesel for Rosie,” he said, pointing to the first four tankers they passed.  “And the other six are all Number Six Fuel Oil for Sam, Malcom if we get him running, and for the heavy equipment back at the railyard like the lift in the coaling tower, the defroster in the water tower, and the steam boilers in the main building.  The manager of the plant said that he was gonna charge the railroad for the fuel, but at only 70% normal price, and he’s gonna give us three months to pay for this first bit.  On top of that, he said the railroad could keep the tankers and use them however we saw fit.”

“You’re joking!” Ashley said in surprise, smiling widely when she saw Ben shake his head and smile to refute her claim.  “Wow, with so many generous people around here, I don’t think that there’s any way we *can’t* manage to pull this off at this point!”  She and Ben both laughed a bit, then she hopped down out of the cab when they backed past the first switch.  Ben brought Duck to a stop and started easing forwards again towards the tankers as Ashley threw the switch and hopped back into the cab.

“When we get close, Duck,” Ben said over the headset.  “Just let me know when to cut off steam and let us roll in nice and gentle.  You can gauge that better than either of us could, since you’ve got the best view and you know yourself better than anyone.”

(Should we have Jim and Starr come in together?  Like they’re already good friends or something?)

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:39 pm

Gus looked around then sighed "Well, we can eat here to mitigate the alcohol" He said with a shrug and looked for a table to sit at. "What about Sam?"
~~~
Alice looked sad at first then brightened at the end. "Really?" She asked excitedly "You think I could actually get adopted and live close to Cat too?" She moved, going to hug Connie then turning to show her to the stone so they could hide the food for the kids.
~~~
Scotty smiled and grabbed his coat to follow her out. He looked around as they walked, learning the lay of the land so to speak. "Old machine shop? Nice"
~~~
"This place is huge" Duck said as he looked at everything he could see without moving. It may have been close quarters, but he could tell how big it still was anyway. He watched as they moved, backing to the cars. He called out when they were close enough to roll back to the cars. 

(Yeah, I gave them the excuse to be late with the avalanche.)

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:06 pm

“Yeah, true, we certainly can,” Dirk said, shrugging as the two headed inside and sat down at a booth.  Soon enough a waitress came up and gave them each a menu for food and for drinks, giving them a breakfast and lunch set since they had gotten there right on the time boundary between the two services.  “Oh, I just meant that someone’s gotta be here to drag your drunk self back home so Sam can comfort you on the loss of a friend, then give you a hard time for going drinking without her.”

~~~
“I’m sure of it,” Connie said with a smile as she followed Alice’s gaze and gestures, then helped to move the loose stones out of the way and reveal the secret cavity behind and beneath them.  “Now I’ve already got myself a teenage daughter, Julia’s taking in Cat officially, and I saw Lilly had her eyes on Nathan something fierce, but there are more than enough lonely, generous people in Bucket Falls to go around.”

~~~
“Yeah, this is where the UP reps basically left all the junk left over from the Western Pacific that they couldn’t salvage or reuse efficiently,” Julia said as they made their way to one of the doors.  “But nobody’s opened the building in years, so there’s no telling what we might find in here.  Hell, the Ark of the Covenant could be in here and nobody would have a clue.”  When they came to the door and saw it was locked, Julia only barely broke stride before having the door unlocked and open.  Somehow that tiny Japanese woman’s frame managed to swing the heavy bolt cutters up, cut the lock loop, and yank it off the door almost without even holding the tool still.  “Welp, here we go,” she chuckled as she headed inside, setting the heavy tool down just beside the door and flicking the flashlight on.  “Let’s see if we can find the main breaker box…” her voice echoed eerily through the dark, cramped space filled with mechanical junk of nearly every kind imaginable.  “Who knows?  Maybe the building still has working power lines and some of the lights might work.”

~~~
(They were pulling forwards to couple up with Duck’s front, and would then pull the tankers back to the yard in reverse so they wouldn’t have to worry about turning Duck around to put him back in the sheds.  That’s the beauty of Tank Engines like him, they work just as efficiently and effectively in forwards or reverse, though you do always want to park them facing out of a shed or round house because it’s more natural for the crew to operate the engine going forwards)
Ben was waiting for Duck’s signal, and the moment he heard it he neutralized the throttle and let the boxy little engine roll forwards gently into the consist of loaded tankers.  Their open couplers came together, closed, and locked into place smoothly, though a bit of ice broke free from the half-frozen tanker’s knuckle.  Ashley then hopped down and ran forwards to plug in the air brake hoses and untie the hand brakes on the tankers, and a few minutes later they were all just being held in place by Duck’s air brake pressure and by their static inertia.  “Alright bud, these are gonna be pretty heavy for only ten cars,” Ben said as he started applying the sanders to help Duck get some good traction on the frozen rails.  “You ready to bring these things back?”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:58 am

Gus gave a small smile at that then shrugged a little and looked at the menus. He frowned at having two then looked to the waitress and held them up "Which one of these would be easier for your people to make from now?" 
~~~
Alice looked to Cat then nodded at her nod "I would like that. I don't want to go to another place like this." She said, helping put the food away then close the hiding place so it couldn't be seen 
~~~
Scotty smiled at how easily she handled the cutters then followed her inside. He started looking around for something that would work for what they needed, pulling out the pieces he found and showing them to her for approval once they got the lights going.
~~~
(oops)
Duck nodded a little, letting the sanders do their job then starting to move. "I'm ready"  His wheels slipped a little before they caught and he could start the little consist moving from their place to take them over to the other cars they were going to get. It was slow going of course, they didn't want speed, just movement so they could get the other cars loaded up.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:14 am

“Oh, either is fine, just pick whatever you might want,” the waitress said kindly.  “We’re just finishing up breakfast service now, and about to move into lunch, so either menu is just as fine, it’s no trouble.”

“Well if you insist, I’ve always hated starting the day with a light breakfast,” Dirk said with a chuckle.  “So I think I’ll have the deluxe breakfast platter.  And as for the choices, I’ll have blueberry pancakes, with a fair bit of cinnamon in them if you’ve got it back there, I’ll take the eggs scrambled with sharp cheddar cheese, and can I forgo the sausage paddies and links and have you guys triple up on the bacon instead?”

“Absolutely, I can’t get enough of Melvin’s Applewood myself, if you can’t tell,” she said.  “And what would you like to drink with that?”

Dirk glanced over her figure briefly, and honestly he couldn’t tell, but he smiled and said “I’m certain you guys have Budweiser Draught?”

“What kind of place would we be if we didn’t?” she laughed as she scribbled down Dirk’s order and turned to Gus.  “And for you sir?”

~~~
“I can’t imagine any kid would,” Connie said with a sigh and a shrug as they replaced the stone and started heading back towards where she’d parked with Skylar.  “Don’t worry yourself too much, Alice; Roger and Corey are already off calling the police to report the awful conditions you kids are kept in.  Dirk’s got some close friends in the county Sheriff’s department, I’m sure he’ll lean on Lieutenant Matthews a bit and get him to push a raid up high on the priority list.  As if there’s much else for him and his little fur-hatted minions to be doing this time of year anyways.”

~~~
Eventually Julia found the breaker box and got it open, then a moment later there was a dull electrical humming sound from overhead as a few of the old fluorescent tubes flickered to life.  It wasn’t much light, but it was enough to make the interior of the building significantly creepier, as well as provide enough light for you to navigate without a flashlight and not worry about killing yourself.  “Ehh, at least it’s something,” she said with a shrug as she started searching the dark, cold, dusty interior.  “Now for the size of the repair we’re gonna be doing, we’re looking for a flat plate of steel around a quarter or half inch thick.  I’d like it to be around four feet long and a foot wide so we have a good safety margin around the flaw in Helen’s boiler, but at the same time if it’s too big we’ll never get it inside the space we need to install it in.  A plate from the side of an old furnace would be perfect to cut a chunk out of, see if you can find one of those that might have been unbolted and tossed in here in pieces.”

~~~
Ben nodded his understanding as he pulled the throttle back to let Duck get them moving again, continuing forwards about 200 yards, then rolling to a stop again as they reached the four tankers of diesel fuel that were waiting for them.  Again, Ashley hooked up the air hoses and untied the hand brakes on the tankers, then quickly came back to Duck’s cab and jumped in.  She freshened up the fire again as Ben set the reverser back and applied the sanders again, then slowly pulled the throttle back two notches.  “Easy does it Duck, no need to show off just yet,” he chuckled as he heard a bit of wheelslip occurring and reduced the throttle to notch one again.  “We’re in no rush here.”

“Well actually, we’re starting to run a bit low on coal here,” Ashley added with a shrug.  “We’re down to less than a quarter of the bunker, although we didn’t start with much more than that.  Helen’s tender is empty, though, this is all we’ve got, so hopefully we can get Rosie running nice with this new fuel and she can go pick us up a nice big batch of fresh coal from Dyken’s for us and for Helen.”

“Yeah, I agree,” Ben nodded as he felt Duck’s wheels finally bite into the sand on the frigid rails and heave the short consist backwards with a jolt that sent sheets of ice and snow showering off the tanker cars in front of them.  “Oh there we go, well done boy!” he said excitedly as they slowly accelerated backwards in the direction of the sheds again.  “You guys think Roger did a good enough job on Rosie’s servicing to let her be fit to go make a pickup today perhaps?  It’d be nice to already have two engines running by tonight since Helen’s gonna take a fair bit longer than we expected.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:19 pm

Gus smiled a little and nodded "That sounds good, the breakfast platter, just a normal pancake with the cheesy eggs but I would like the country ham with a bud to drink." He said then handed the menus back to her "Thank you" 
~~~
Alice looked at Connie, stopping to give Cat a close hug then hiding in the bushes again. "I hope you are right ma'am. I don't want to stay here any longer." 
~~~
Scotty nodded and kept his flashlight on as he looked for a good sheet of metal they could use. "You having any luck lass?" He asked as he searched through the parts and pieces where he was.
~~~
Duck frowned as she said that about getting low on the coal, but focused on the job for now, getting the cars and putting them with the others so they could start heading home with all of them. "I hope so." Duck answered

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:04 pm

“Alright, both excellent choices,” the waitress said with a smile as she took their four menus.  “You want your first drinks now or coming with the meal?”

“I might as well take it all together,” Dirk said with a shrug as the girl glanced to Gus for his answer.

~~~
“And I don’t want to see you or any other kids like you stay here any longer either,” Connie agreed, smiling hopefully and giving Alice a little wave before heading back to get back into Skylar with Cat and head back to the railyard.  “Wow, you two seem really close,” she said to the younger girl once they’d both climbed in and they started driving again.  “How long have you and Alice known each other?”

~~~
“Nope, nothing so far…” Julia grumbled.  “Whole lotta junk that I’m sure can and will be useful for all sorts of stuff, but nothing that would suit our purposes as of yet…”

~~~
(Hmm… I might need to work on doing a better job with my initial descriptions of the arrangements of rail cars and consists and the track layouts whenever we enter an area for the first time in a scene.  The tankers were split up into two separate strings, six with #6 oil and four with diesel, but they were both parked on the same track.  So Duck and crew coupled up to the oil tankers by Duck’s front coupler, so that he was at one end of the consist but facing the cars rather than facing the direction they’d be moving.  Then they simply pulled forwards and coupled up to the diesel tankers with the oil tankers, so all the cars are now together, there’s nothing left we have to add to anything.  Not your fault at all, just me wrongly assuming that all railroad lingo and terminology and procedures and yadda yadda etc. would be easily picked up/apparent.  I’ll do a better job of that in the future, maybe draw out some crude diagrams of the track arrangements in each of the major places on the route.  Hmm… there’s an idea…)

“Yeah, so do I,” Ben said as they slowly picked up speed, leaning out the right side of Duck’s cab and watching backwards around his coal bunker as they trundled along.  “We might need to find a dedicated railroad snowplow as well, or at least a modular snowplow we can attach to your front to help clear the tracks ourselves if we get another bad storm, won’t that be fun?”

“Don’t start it Ben,” Ashley groaned jokingly as she kept feeding and stoking Duck’s fire nicely.  “Julia and my mom have got enough stuff to do already, we don’t need to stack building Duck a snowplow on top of that all.”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum