The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The year is 1970.  The American railroad industry is modernizing at an incredible pace, and steam locomotives as a species are being killed off in preference of more reliable and efficient diesel-electric locomotives.  Thousands of the old iron giants are being dragged off to scrap yards and smelting plants in long, ominous funeral trains, their eyes wide and pleading for help that will never come to any human they pass by on their way to their inevitable deaths.  To their old crews, these locos are family, but to the industry, they're now a liability, worth nothing more than their weight in scrap steel, at a rate of about forty seven dollars per metric ton.

In northern Washington State, trouble is brewing in the small railroad city of Fort Fairfax.  The local railroad company has been run out of business by the mega-tycoon that is the Union Pacific.  With the rail line shut down and deteriorating from years of disuse, the only way in and out of the valley was via the main 'highway', Route Seven, but on December 8th, 1970, heavy snow and ice caused a rock face in the mountains to collapse, completely burying three miles of Route Seven under millions of tons of granite boulders, snow, and ice near the town of Saint Josef.  Luckily only ten people were killed, but the road was rendered completely impassable, practically cutting off the entire valley of Bucket Falls from the outside world.  (There are other roads out of the valley, but Route Seven was the only one that was remotely safe in winter conditions, and the only route capable of supporting large trucks in any weather)  The only hope for Fort Fairfax, as well as the neighboring towns of Thomas Canyon, Josha's Cradle, Simonville, and Dunk Town, and the hamlet of Elena Junction, was reopening the old railroad.  The two main industries in the canyon, Dyken's Coal Mine and the Lena's Mineral Mining Company, were among the first to get onboard the bandwagon of reopening the line, followed closely by the Dunk Town Sawmill and Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals.  The companies could all theoretically survive through the winter by temporarily shutting down their operations to save capital, then reopening after the spring thaw would allow for Route Seven to be cleared and rebuilt, but in a rare stroke of plain humanity all four of the company CEOs decided that the railroad reopening would not only be good news for all of them, but more importantly, would be good news for all the people living in the valley.  With the support from the local industries and the residents of the valley, a group of citizens from Fort Fairfax formed the Full Bucket Line Preservation Society, which soon enough became the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  The initial investments from the industrial companies provided the FBLRR with most of the initial capital they needed to get most of the line repaired to the point of being safely usable, but that still left them with a rather serious problem.

What the hell good is a railroad with no locomotives and no rolling stock?

When the line was first shut down, the Union Pacific bought up everything worth recovering at the bankruptcy auction, which included all the locomotives and nearly all of the rolling stock.  There were a few cars left behind scattered around the line, but all needed serious work if they were even salvageable at all, and even all of them put together weren't going to be enough to run the railroad with.  Luckily most of the old railroad's employees were local residents, so there was no shortage of qualified workers, but the company was quickly running out of cash, and they still didn't even have any locomotives.

And so the search began for the trains that could help to save the valley of Bucket Falls.  For the size of the line they would be trying to run, starting off they would need at least one or two small locomotives for shunting work and pulling maintenance trains (probably small steam tank engines or diesel switchers), two or three mid-sized locos for general freight traffic and short, local passenger trains, and one large, powerful main-line locomotive for bringing the big freight trains in and out of the valley, as well as pulling the fast passenger services.  It's a tall order, but hopefully the folks at the FBLRR can find some of what they need without breaking the bank.

And hopefully the engines themselves will be willing to cooperate after being neglected and cast aside for so long.

~~~~~

Okay, so if you can't tell, this is a world where many of the vehicles that humans build and use are sentient beings, sort of like in "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "Cars" (if Cars had humans).  They have a fair bit of control over themselves, but still need human crew to fully operate most of the time.  They do have faces, but not Thomas-style faces where it covers most of the front of their body.  They're much less intrusive, being just eyes and a mouth somewhere that makes sense on the front of their body, like this:
As sentient beings, they've all got their own personalities and feelings, most have names, they can feel pain and other physical sensations with surprising sensitivity.  Their bodies are a bit flexible, but not quite to the extent of the characters in "Cars".  When a locomotive and its crew are familiar with one another and have formed a tight bond, one can expect to see significantly better physical performance out of both.  The mental health of a sentient vehicle has a significant and direct impact on their physical capabilities, meaning a happy, satisfied train with a good crew that they're close to will tend to perform significantly better than their design specifications say they should be able to, while a depressed or angry locomotive or one with a crew that they're always at odds with will have substantially worse general performance, or may even straight-up refuse to work at all.

Please keep in mind for the vehicles that most of what the FBLRR is going to be using/getting their hands on is going to be old, outdated, and generally unwanted equipment.  Very little, if anything, is going to be new or modern (for the present time period of 1970) so try to keep to trains that were built between the 1940s and the early '60s, or were being retired from service in 1966 at the latest.  Trucks could probably be a bit newer, like '68 or '69 (giggity), but toss in some older ones as well for added historical nostalgia stuff.

Character Forms:

Human:

Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Personality:
Relevant skills:
Recommended/Desired/Current job:
Other:

Trains:

Name: (If they were ever given one, or can remember their name)
Class: (The exact type of train they were.  Please be specific.  If you have an idea about what you want from the character, do some searching online to find something that might match what you want)
Personality:
Picture (Optional):
Other:

Trucks:

Name: (Again, if they ever got one)
Personality:
Picture: (Optional)
Other:

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Re: The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:02 pm

"Well I'm glad to hear that," Connie said with a grin as she went back to using the wire brushes again.  "I can already hear it in your voice too.  You ready for the other half of the pipes?"

~~~
Sam chuckled a bit in return, then settled down a bit, sighing in content as she could already feel the soothing heat radiating through her tender, gradually starting to melt the nearly solid mass of old fuel oil.  It wouldn't get too much better, since all the volatile compounds in the oil would have boiled off over the years, leaving it as little more than a thicker version of the junk that boils up out of the La Brea tar pits.  It would be a total pain to get rid of the stuff as well, since in order to burn it off they would need to reintroduce the combustible elements to the mixture.  Likely the best thing they could do with it would be to just dump it in one of the old gondola cars that had been left sitting beside the sheds and simply leave it there until the spring thaw.
This was gonna take a while...

~~~
"Wow, Duck, you're in fantastic shape for how old you are..." Corey said in surprise.  "Honestly we could probably fire you up right now if we wanted to.  Your bunkers might be empty, but Helen's tender still has some coal in it, and we can get more water in you easy enough.  You wanna give it a shot?"

~~~
"It's okay guys," Riley said as Nathan gladly cuddled up with Cat under her blanket.  "They're all right here, working on the trains we just brought back."

"A-are you guys g-gonna send me away?..." Nathan asked shakily, freezing in fright when someone new abruptly opened the rear passenger-side door and climbed up to look over the two orphaned kids.

"What are you talking about?" Ashley asked puzzledly.  "Why would we send you away?  And where did you guys even come from?"

~~~
"That much left over!?" Mr. Iverson blurted in surprise.  "Wow, that Dirk fellow sounds like a miracle worker... Maybe I should have him start negotiating with my investors and stock brokers for me.  If he can keep up that sort of performance, he could save us tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars."  He smiled when he watched the auto bay door open for them, giving a nod of approval to Ben when he saw him standing at the controls.  "Thank you for the ride, Skylar," he said with a smile and a praising pat on her dashboard as he got out, eager to meet the new locomotives.

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:20 pm

"Oh yes, please" Helen said quickly then chuckled at her own eagerness. She was just so glad to get all that stuff out. 
~~~
(and fade out?)
~~~
"They took care of me, even if I never found a crew I could click with" Duck said softly "Yeah, we can give it a try if you think it'll be safe enough" He replied.
~~~
Cat jumped at the door opening because it surprised her "Who are you?" She asked the new girl then looked down to Nathan. "I'm Cat, this is Nathan. Lilly brought us here." 
~~~
Lilly chuckled and nodded, looking to the shop then getting out to go with him as they left Skylar there. "Maybe" She agreed. She was glad to see they were already working on the engines. 

"Your welcome' Skylar said as the two left her.

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)
Gold Pieces: 15 g 42 s 86 c

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:10 pm

Connie chuckled and was about to continue when she heard a shout from Ben telling her to hold off on blowing out more of Helen's pipes since the boss had just arrived.  She made her way out of Helen's firebox so she could listen to what Mr. Iverson had to say, just like Corey went quiet as he continued looking over Duck carefully.  Everyone else in the sheds became pretty attentive as well as their boss made their way over towards Riley and the kids.

"Good afternoon, sir," the old military truck said respectfully.

"Afternoon Riley," the company owner replied with a smile.  "I heard you brought home some special guests with you from the salvage yard."

"Yessir, we did, they're still right here with me and Ashley."

"Oh, Ashley's here too?"  The older man smiled widely and quickly went over to scoop the teenager up in a hug.  "How's my favorite little time doing today?"

Ashley laughed and hugged Mr. Iverson back eagerly.  "I'm doing great pops!  Who are these new kids?"

"Well I'm assuming you two are Nathan and Kathrine, correct?" he asked as he set the little brunette down.

Nathan glanced to Cat, then back to Mr. Iverson before slowly nodding, but not saying anything else

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
I AM THE SALMON MODERATOR
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:12 am

Helen looked around to see her new owner curiously, understanding why Connie stopped. 

Lilly smiled at seeing Ashley and her father's reaction to her. 

Cat nodded as she watched this new guy. "Yes, sir, we are." She relied softly. She recognized Lilly, so she wasn't as scared, but they were still strangers even if they had gotten her warm again. "Everyone always just called me Cat."

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:57 am

"Well I should hope you won't mind me being a little more formal every now and then, miss Cat?" Mr. Iverson chuckled as he beckoned for the kids to come out of Riley's back seat and join the rest of them.  When he saw Nathan glance reluctantly towards the girl he was hugging he smiled warmly and said "Oh don't worry, nobody here is going to hurt either of you.  We're all like a family here, even though only me and Lilly are actually related, and we're all suckers for kids, even me.  Come on, I'll help you get down."  Nathan glanced back at Cat nervously again, then looked back to Mr. Iverson and slowly began crawling to him.  He was soon enough scooped up under his arms and gently set down on the floor beside Riley, and he instinctively moved over and clung to Lilly's leg worriedly.  "I heard you guys both came a pretty long way to get here," Henry added as he looked back towards Cat.  "And that you're both on the lookout for somewhere new to call home?"

Ashley, in the meantime, was already busy swooning over all the grand new (to her, at least) trains that took up most of the space in the huge, previously cavernously empty shed.  She seemed to take an interest in Duck rather quickly, though that may have been simply because he was the closest to her.  "Hey, my name's Ashley!" the excited brunette asked as she deftly climbed up on top of Duck's running board, then his water tanks, then finally onto the top of his boiler.  Once she was there, she made her way up to his pilot and leaned over to look at him upside-down from above, a huge grin on her face.  "You have a name yet?  You seem really boxy for a steam engine, why is that?  Are you a diesel in disguise or something?"
This chick might have had a bit too much excitement and energy for her own good.

All Corey could do was sit back, chuckle a bit, and watch Ashley's ridiculous antics, knowing that she was just this crazy and that was basically that.  Really only Mr. Iverson and Connie were respected by her strongly enough for them to be able to tell her to stop acting like a loony and have her actually listen.  Everyone else she generally disregarded their protests unless they could convince her that she was doing something legitimately and immediately dangerous.  That would usually make her find something else to do, since she was crazy, but didn't have a death wish or want anyone getting hurt.

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Cat dipped her head, pulling her blanket closer around herself as she gave a short nod. She moved to get out of the truck, accepting his help down then just standing where she was. Part of her just wanted to make a run for it, but another, bigger part wanted to give them a chance. A third part wanted to just break down and cry for her parents, for being found and offered a new home, for being warm. 

Lilly reached down, rubbing Nathan's back gently as he clung to her side. She offered him a reassuring smile, knowing that now that her dad was involved, this was about as close to a sure thing as they could get.

Duck looked up at her, crossing his eyes a bit then relaxing them "I'm Duck, I am a Pannier Tank and I'm boxy because that's how I was made." He tried to answer her questions then chuckled softly "You just crawled over my water tank and boiler, so no, I'm not a diesel in disguise. Wouldn't be much of a disguise once they get in me to get me in tip top shape and running right anyway. You really should come down from there poppet, before you fall."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:23 pm

Mr. Iverson smiled and patted Cat's head kindly once she was down on the ground with him.  "See?  Nothing to be scared of," he said with a smile as he glanced to Lilly and Nathan, then to Ben as well.  "Now come on, all of you.  I'd like to meet all the new engines proper."

Nathan smiled in return and leaned into Lilly's rubbing, enjoying the feeling of a loving touch after so long.

Ashley chuckled at Duck's funny Western British accent and certainly didn't want to climb down just for him.  "Duck huh?  Funny name for a funny-looking engine, I like it!" she laughed.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:39 am

"You can thank Ben for the 'funny name', since he's the one that offered it up" Duck said with a chuckle. He rather liked this girl, she had spirit. He noticed the group coming over and wondered about them. 

Lilly smiled down at Nathan as they followed her father to meet all the engines. 

Cat moved to stand on the other side of Nathan, looking to the engines also. She frowned a little and looked around the shed "Where's dad's cars?" She asked softly.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:11 am

Ashley giggled and looked over towards Ben with a grin, waving at the veteran engineer and saying "I think I definitely will have to thank him, Duck.  But for now I think I'll hang out with you."

Mr. Iverson chuckled at the girl's antics as he made his way up to where he could look down along the front of the building and see the faces of all the locomotives sitting there.  "My word, I can't remember the last time I saw a group of engines with so much potential," he said, mostly to himself.  "I suppose I should start with learning all your names then," he said, speaking g up significantly so that even Sam could hear him clearly at the other end of the building.  "I'm Henry Iverson, I'm the chairman of the Full Bucket Railroad Company and also the line's traffic controller, in addition to, as you might have guessed, your new boss.  Now I expect for this to become a civilized and professional railroad, so I'll ask the same of you all as I ask of all my employees; when addressing me, you call me either Mr. Iverson, or Sir, understand?"  He waited until he got a nod from each of the engines, then smiled and continued.  "That's what I like to see.  Now then, how about your names?"

"Malcom here's not much of a talker, sir," Corey spoke up, gesturing to the depressive dockside switcher.

"Alright, I understand, thank you Corey," Henry said with a nod.  "What about the rest of you?  I should hope you're all a bit more vocal?"

"My name's Samantha, sir," came the voice of the prototype Golden State engine from the far end of the room.  "Or call me Sammy or Sam, I don't mind if you use any one over the others.  I'm just grateful enough to finally have somewhere to belong again."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Samantha," Mr. Iverson said with a smile.  "And I'm glad to provide you with that new home so long as you do your best to earn your keep."

"Not a problem, sir," she chuckled.  "Once I'm back in shape to go on my own again, you'll have to hold me back."

"I like the enthusiasm, welcome aboard Sam, now--... Umm, is that F7 asleep?..."

"Oh, yeah, I think she is.  Hang on, I'll wake her," Sam said.  She took a breath and shouted "HEY ROSIE, WAKE UP!  THE BOSS IS HERE!"

"AAAGH, I'm up!  I'm up!" Rosie blurted in surprise., jumping a bit at the sudden awakening.  "Wh-what is it?  What's going on?"

*Ahem*  "Miss Rosie, I presume?" Mr. Iverson said, drawing the sleepy diesel's attention.

"Oh, uh... Y-yeah, that's me."

Me. Iverson repeated for her what he'd initially told everyone there about how he planned to run the line and on addressing him, and at that realization Rosie straightened right up out of intimidation and said "S-sorry for being asleep while you were speaking, sir..."

"Oh no, it's alright.  I'm not an unreasonable man, I'm sure you're all exhausted and grateful to have a roof over your heads at long last.  I do t blame you at all, and I'm not angry."

"Oh, uh... th-thank you, sir," she replied, blushing a little.

"No problem.  Now then..."  He turned to face Helen and chuckled a bit when he saw the chunks of creosote and boiler sludge scattered around and over her.  "And who might you be, my beautiful Canadian gemstone?"

~~~
"Oh, the Heavy Pullman coaches?" Ben speculated in response to Cat's worried question.  "They're parked outside, beside the shed in a siding next to the express coaches.  You say they're your dad's cars, huh?  Were they part of the train your father used to work on?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:41 am

"I'm Helen, sir" She replied, a bit embarrassed to be first meeting him for the first time with all the stuff on her. She was happy to see Nathan over with the group again though. 

"I am called Duck, sir" Duck said from his spot in front of Malcolm. "They are saying I should be ready to go with some fresh fuel" Yeah, he was a bit excited. 

Gus came out so that he could see his new boss and nodded to him "Mr Iverson,I am Gus, Gustav Vasa. I know I'm not one of the trains, but Miss Lilly was kind enough to bring me back with them for a job" He said, grinning at the 'not a train' part. 

(did I miss anyone?)
~~~
Cat nodded and looked to Ben, glad to know the cars were here and safe. "Thank you. Dad was a coachman and those were the cars he worked on. He used to let me ride with him all the time." She said, smiling at the good memory then frowning because he was gone. It was bittersweet to remember, but she didn't want to forget.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:17 pm

"Nice to meet the two of you as well," Mr. Iverson said with a smile.  "And don't worry Helen, we'll be sure to get you cleaned up nice and proper soon enough.  You're likely to be our main passenger locomotive until we get Sam on her wheels again."  He turned to Duck and chuckled at his name a little.  "Well it's definitely unique, and it's yours, so if you like it, so do I.  Glad to hear that you're in such good shape and so eager to get to work."

Then he turned around and saw Gus, who was already a big, grimy, oily mess from cleaning out Sam's tender.  Rosie and Sam couldn't help but snicker a bit at the sight of him like that.  Mr. Iverson, however, laughed aloud and came over to give Gus a nice, firm handshake, regardless of the grime and oil-mud on his hand.  "Now that's what I really like to see; not even on the team officially yet, not even getting paid, and you're already diving in to be helpful.  I love that, consider yourself hired, Mr. Vasa!  We can get the paperwork done later once you're... done with this and cleaned up, but in the meantime, welcome to the team."  He looked behind the engineer towards Sam and added "From what Lilly said, you're pretty familiar with Samantha here already, and you have experience as an engineer with large locomotives like her, so how would you like it if I had you assigned permanently as her engineer right from the get-go?"

(Nope, that's everyone, lol)
~~~
"Well soon enough we'll have them all fixed up and ready to take passengers again," Ben said, rubbing Cat's head a bit in to comfort her.  "I think your dad would have liked to see that, wouldn't he?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:13 pm

Helen gave him a smile at that, nodding a little. She would be glad to be moving again, even if she didn't stay the main passenger loco after Sam was better.

Duck chuckled softly and watched the man go to meet Gus. 

Gus took his hand after wiping what he could off and chuckled too. "Thank you sir. It's nice to be able to help Sam get cleaned up. I missed working on the trains once my Jennie got sold. I would love to work with Sam and get her track-ready and running again. Even if she is a bi more talkative than I was used to." He joked, nudging her gently. Hey, they both got their wishes to come true, and he was glad for that. 

~~
Cat nodded and leaned against him, taking the comfort he offered and trying not to start crying "It will be good to see them moving again. All of them."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:16 pm

"That's fantastic, I'm excited to see you're all so eager to get things rolling," Mr. Iverson chuckled, looking around at the odd, rag-tag bunch they had together.  "It might not be too much, but this is what we've got, and this valley needs all of us.  We're gonna need to give it our all if we're to make this work.  I know it's gonna be tough, especially since we're starting out rough and right before the Christmas rush, but I'm confident we can pull this off."  He paused and chuckled a bit as he went to the back of the room to what looked to be the oldest footlocker there, one that none of the crew had been able to find a key for.  Mr. Iverson pulled out a key from his pocket, eyed it for a second, then stuck it into the lock and opened the container.  He grabbed a duffel bag out of the locker and disappeared into the back room for a moment.
A few minutes later there was a shout of triumph as Mr. Iverson walked out in a pair of old, grimy overalls, work boots and gloves, the full railroad worker get up.  "Wow, I'm really surprised these things still fit me," he laughed.  "Ahh well, no use in idle hands now, is there?  Julia, you're the boss around here, how can I help?"

The young Oriental woman blushed a bit at the thoughts of getting to tell the company Chairman what to do and said "Well, Mr. Iverson, how ao help Connie out with working on Helen?  She's getting her pipes cleaned out, but I'm sure you know how to replace brake shoes, correct?"

"Only in my sleep," the old-timer joked.  "You know, actually, I just now thought of something that became pretty relevant now that we've got trains at last.  Ashley, darling, would you mind leaving Duck alone for a moment and coming to help me with something?"

"Yeah!  Coming pops!" she called back, cheerfully jumping down from Duck's boiler in two deft bounds; one to his front running board, and the second to the floor.  She then ran over to where her god-grandfather stood.

"You know what, let's have everyone come see this!" Mr. Iverson added.  "I probably need all your help anyways getting all this stuff back out here where we'll need it."

At that, everyone exchanged some puzzled looks before following after their boss into the back room of the building, all of them curious about what was going on.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:26 am

Lilly smiled at seeing him in his work clothes again. She hadn't seen him dressed like that in a very, very long time. She was glad but also curious about what he wanted all their help for. She along with the others moved to follow him to the back and see what he wanted their help with.

Cat looked to the others then to Nathan before slowly following the others. Would they be needed for whatever this was? 

Roger and Gus went after Mr. Iverson to see what was going on now. What did he have in the back?

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:42 pm

"Lilly, I'm sure you remember Uncle Marvin, right?" Mr. Iverson said​ as he led the group towards the back of the building, through dark, dusty rooms most of them never knew existed.  "Back when we used to work here together, before the WP route flopped, our maintenance boss was a bit of a hoarder.  He had a huge stockpile built up of every sort of spare part you could think of by the time the line closed, and when it did he wanted me and Marvin to stash it somewhere that nobody would find it."  By now he had led the group to the back of the boiler room, which housed the generators that ran the bigger equipment in the roundhouse and the worksheds, as well as the boilers which provided high pressure steam to be used for pressure cleaning and for emergency heating.  He started searching along the solid wood paneling wall, looking for something intently.  "There used to be a secondary boiler room in here, but we never got the equipment installed, so the room's always been empty.  We stashed the equipment in here and put up this wall overtop of the cavity... AHA!!  Found it!"  He crouched down next to a small patch in the wood paneling and, with his utility knife, quickly punched a few holes in it around the edges and kicked it out.  "Ashley, this is where you come in, sweetness.  The wall is on hinges, but it can only be opened from the inside.  The bolts are over to my right against the wall, I need you to crawl in, slide them open, and then push.  It's gonna be dark, and the bolts are heavy, but you're just about the only one who'll fit through the hole easily."

Ashley seemed nervous at first, glancing back and forth between her grandfather and the dark hole in the wall, but soon enough she smiled, nodded, then disappeared through the hole into the void.  A moment later, the sound of metal sliding roughly against metal could be heard to the right of the group, then an almighty creaking sound as the whole wall began to swing outwards towards them.  As light seeped into the forgotten room, Mr. Iverson and Connie went over to help Ashley pull the hidden door open, then both let out a cheer when they saw what was inside.

"Oh that's excellent!  It's all still here!" Mr. Iverson said excitedly as he looked upon the stash.  There were pallets full of new-in-box spare railroad parts of all shapes and sizes from the 1940s and 1950s, and there must have been at least a thousand boxes in the musty, cold extra room.  "Simply marvelous!  Alright, come on everyone, let's get to searching.  I'm certain we'll find some brake shoes of Helen's size in here somewhere."

"Hell, there might be a whole engine buried under a pile that big," Connie laughed as Ashley climbed up towards the top of the stack and started looking around while Ben, Julia, Corey, Dirk, Connie, and Mr. Iverson did so more normally.  Even Nathan soon enough got in there to try and help, even though he really didn't know what to look for

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:44 am

Gus went over to Nathan, helping him to look for the parts they needed. He explained what the box would look like and the part number they were looking for. 

Lilly thought about what her father said as they went back, remembering who he was talking about. She smiled as they went to the room and started looking through the parts boxes. "Goodness, you really did save a lot of stuff, didn't you dad?" She asked, picking open a box and picking up the part "This would be good for Malcolm."

Cat hung back a little, looking at all the dusty boxes before moving to a pallet no one else was at to look at it. "This what you looking for?" She asked after moving to the corner.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:02 am

Nathan listened closely to Gus as he explained what to look for, then nodded his understanding and smiled a bit as he started searching a bit more confidently.

“Yeah, like I said, old man Peabody was a hoarder,” Mr. Iverson chuckled.  “I think he might have just wanted to be prepared in case one day he had to basically rebuild three or four engines from parts all at once.”  He looked over at the box Lilly had found and shrugged a little, replying “I wouldn’t know for sure, since I personally don’t know the diameter of his wheels, but from eyeballing it those model of pads seem to be around the right size and curvature to hug his wheels nicely.”

Connie made her way over towards where Cat was standing and examined the printed technical specifications of what Cat had located, then grinned and said “Yes, Cat, this is exactly what we need for Helen!  Nice work!  Now we’ll need five more of these, since this is only one pad and I want to make sure that she gets full braking capabilities back, but I’m sure there’s at least that many more of these in here somewhere.  Come on, help me get this to the floor out of the way and we'll keep looking over here.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:47 am

Lilly knew his wheel size, she had taken note of that given his backstory, so she knew they would fit, she just hoped it would work for him. She started digging for a full set for Malcolm.

Cat flushed and nodded at the praise. She looked at the box, picking it up to take it to the other room so it could be taken up then came back to find more. She was glad she had been able to help even a little bit. 

Gus smiled at Nathan and helped him keep looking for parts. He was glad to help the kid feel better about being here. He didn't want the kid to feel bad.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:49 pm

Her father kept looking as well, and soon enough the two of them together had managed to find the other five brake p sets they would need for Malcom’s refitting.  “Is there anything else here that you think we might need for Malcom?”

Connie helped Cat carry the heavy steel brake shoes out of the way and then returned to the pile with her to search for more.  “You wanna look up a bit higher while I keep it up down here?”

After a moment Nathan tugged on Gus' shirt and said “Mr. Gus, is this part of what you were looking for?...”  He drew Gus' attention to a couple of boxes that had fallen off the main stack, which looked to contain pieces for steam booster engine steam piping, one of the more complex parts that Sam needed replaced.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:22 am

"He needs a new firebox, his got wet when his breaks failed one time, so it cracked. Think we have that?" She asked, looking to him then to the piles of parts. "His breaks failed a lot, so he thinks he is bad luck." She said, giving her father Malcolm's story as they searched.

Cat nodded and easily climbed up to look at the boxes up higher for more boxes like the one they had found. 

Roger stopped looking to be the 'pack-horse' in a way, bringing the chosen parts out to make piles for each of the engines as stuff was found for them.

"Just right lad. Sam does need those parts." Gus said. He wanted to ruffle the boys hair, but was mindful of the grease still on his own hands, not that the boy didn't need a bath anyway, but still, grease was hard to get out of hair. "You don't have to have the 'Mr.' with me, just Gus is fine." He said with a wink. "Make me feel like an old man with that Mr stuff." He laughed to show he was teasing and went over to get the boxes so they could be taken up.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:01 am

“Oh, Malcom needs a whole firebox?...” Mr. Iverson asked worriedly, shaking his head a bit in disappointment.  “I’m certain that we wouldn’t have anything of that kind here.  Even an engine as small as him would have a big enough firebox to have to be brought in in its own crate at least.  If we’re ever going to get him running again, we’ll either need to order a new firebox for him, or build one ourselves, both of which are bound to be pretty major undertakings.”

Cat would quickly be able to find another three boxes that matched the part number of the first brake shoe she had found, though the main issue was that they were up near the top of the main stack and they each weighed around eighty pounds, measuring three feet long by about a foot square on the ends.

Nathan smiled at the praise and nodded his head in understanding of what to call Gus from now on.  “Oh really?  Thank you M--… err, Gus,” he said, blushing nervously at first but then laughing a little with him as he made his way over to see if he could help moving the boxes.  Lucky for his conscience and his mood, while he wouldn’t be able to lift the heavy, insulated pipes, the smaller box attached to them that held the joint assemblies was small enough and light enough for him to carry, even with how young and hungry he was.  “How long do you think it’ll take to get Sam and Helen fixed up?...”

“Mr. Iverson, sir?” Dirk called to get his boss’ attention, waiting until the older man turned his head to face him before continuing.  “I’m gonna go see if I can’t get one of the boilers running and get some hot steam made up.  I have a feeling that’d really help with cleaning out Sam’s tender, thawing the old oil in there, as well as clearing out her and Helen’s tubes, sound good to you?”  After getting a smile and a nod from Lilly’s father, he returned the smile and gave a thumb’s up before jogging off to begin the task of wrestling with the old electric boilers that hadn’t been started in a decade or more.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:57 pm

"I know" Lilly said softly then shook her head "I had to ask though, it would probably be best to make one for him, even if it takes a while. I don't know if they make them now." She glanced to Dirk when he called to her father and smiled. He had good ideas. 

Cat moved to the side of the pile and looked down "There's three more of those parts up here, same number, but I can't move them on my own." She said to get some help with it. 

Roger heard the girl and came over to check on her and Connie "You ladies need some help?" He asked then chuckled. He knew Connie could do it, but he wanted to be useful too.

Gus smiled at the boy and picked up the other box, following Nathan to the other room to get the pile started for Sam. "Helen will be ready to go once she has new fuel in her and gets a wash and the new brakes. Sam could be a bit while we replace her pipes and brakes and make sure she's cleaned up inside and out."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:24 pm

“Yeah, I would agree,” Mr. Iverson said, frowning a little.  “Then again, I’m sure we can do it.  I mean, we haven’t yet found anything that Julia can’t build out of a pile of scrap steel and an arc welder, am I right?  God, we sure are lucky to have you, Jules.”

“Thank you, sir, I could only do my best for my hometown,” the Asian woman replied with a laugh.  “Anything else wouldn’t be very honest or honorable, would it?”

Connie smiled when she looked up at Cat, then at Roger when he appeared there and said “I’m sure we could, Roger, thank you.  Always happy to have another set of arms.  Come on, we can probably pass them down the pile between each other to get them to the floor pretty easy.”

Nathan smiled widely at that news, clearly very happy that Helen would be alright apparently so easily.  “They’re really gonna get to run again?  H-how long is it gonna be?..."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:55 am

Lilly nodded and looked over to Julia with a smile. She was glad the other woman was born here and chose to help them out when she could. It made things better to have a professional like her on board.

Roger nodded and let the two girls take the passing down part, he would carry the stuff to the other room for them. They were light enough to not damage the boxes after all.

"Yes, they will get to run again, but I don't have a time frame. We don't know that when we open them up we won't find anything harder to fix inside. Shouldn't be more than a week or two if it is just the stuff we know about, less now, with these parts here." Gus answered with a shrug

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:19 am

It didn’t take very long for the three of them to find another two boxes that each contained a pair of brake shoes for wheels of Malcom's size, and soon enough Corey had run off somewhere unknown, only to return about two minutes later with a pallet-jack and an empty pallet for them to use for easily transporting the heavy parts they had found and planned to use.  “Nice thinking Corey,” Mr. Iverson remarked, the young man replying with a smile and a nod as he moved over to help Roger with getting Helen's heavy brake pads stacked neatly onto the pallet.

Nathan smiled happily at the sound of that, loving the fact that the two big, pretty girls would be getting to run well again and feel useful.  “Helen’s really gonna like that,” he said as he set his box of parts down on Corey's pallet, then moved out of Gus' way.  “She’s really stuffed up from not running for so long, and I’m sure Sam is too.”

“HAHA!  IT WORKS!!” came an excited shout from Dirk somewhere on the far end of the room as a steady electric humming sound slowly built up in the background.  The room also seemed to start getting noticeably warmer all of a sudden.  "The friggin boilers still run!  How about that?”

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:52 pm

Roger grinned at Corey, glad for the pallet jack, he didn't think the thing would fit through all the mess between here and the trains. "Thanks" He said as he finished getting the boxes they had already found and started stacking them.

Gus smiled and nodded "Yeah, the girls will love to be running and being useful again. Helen is getting cleaned up again already, so she'll be good soon enough."

Cat cheered for him, hearing Dirk and feeling the warmth from it already. It felt good to have the extra warmth come in. "That feels great already"

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top