The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The year is 1970.  The American railroad industry is modernizing at an incredible pace, and steam locomotives as a species are being killed off in preference of more reliable and efficient diesel-electric locomotives.  Thousands of the old iron giants are being dragged off to scrap yards and smelting plants in long, ominous funeral trains, their eyes wide and pleading for help that will never come to any human they pass by on their way to their inevitable deaths.  To their old crews, these locos are family, but to the industry, they're now a liability, worth nothing more than their weight in scrap steel, at a rate of about forty seven dollars per metric ton.

In northern Washington State, trouble is brewing in the small railroad city of Fort Fairfax.  The local railroad company has been run out of business by the mega-tycoon that is the Union Pacific.  With the rail line shut down and deteriorating from years of disuse, the only way in and out of the valley was via the main 'highway', Route Seven, but on December 8th, 1970, heavy snow and ice caused a rock face in the mountains to collapse, completely burying three miles of Route Seven under millions of tons of granite boulders, snow, and ice near the town of Saint Josef.  Luckily only ten people were killed, but the road was rendered completely impassable, practically cutting off the entire valley of Bucket Falls from the outside world.  (There are other roads out of the valley, but Route Seven was the only one that was remotely safe in winter conditions, and the only route capable of supporting large trucks in any weather)  The only hope for Fort Fairfax, as well as the neighboring towns of Thomas Canyon, Josha's Cradle, Simonville, and Dunk Town, and the hamlet of Elena Junction, was reopening the old railroad.  The two main industries in the canyon, Dyken's Coal Mine and the Lena's Mineral Mining Company, were among the first to get onboard the bandwagon of reopening the line, followed closely by the Dunk Town Sawmill and Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals.  The companies could all theoretically survive through the winter by temporarily shutting down their operations to save capital, then reopening after the spring thaw would allow for Route Seven to be cleared and rebuilt, but in a rare stroke of plain humanity all four of the company CEOs decided that the railroad reopening would not only be good news for all of them, but more importantly, would be good news for all the people living in the valley.  With the support from the local industries and the residents of the valley, a group of citizens from Fort Fairfax formed the Full Bucket Line Preservation Society, which soon enough became the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  The initial investments from the industrial companies provided the FBLRR with most of the initial capital they needed to get most of the line repaired to the point of being safely usable, but that still left them with a rather serious problem.

What the hell good is a railroad with no locomotives and no rolling stock?

When the line was first shut down, the Union Pacific bought up everything worth recovering at the bankruptcy auction, which included all the locomotives and nearly all of the rolling stock.  There were a few cars left behind scattered around the line, but all needed serious work if they were even salvageable at all, and even all of them put together weren't going to be enough to run the railroad with.  Luckily most of the old railroad's employees were local residents, so there was no shortage of qualified workers, but the company was quickly running out of cash, and they still didn't even have any locomotives.

And so the search began for the trains that could help to save the valley of Bucket Falls.  For the size of the line they would be trying to run, starting off they would need at least one or two small locomotives for shunting work and pulling maintenance trains (probably small steam tank engines or diesel switchers), two or three mid-sized locos for general freight traffic and short, local passenger trains, and one large, powerful main-line locomotive for bringing the big freight trains in and out of the valley, as well as pulling the fast passenger services.  It's a tall order, but hopefully the folks at the FBLRR can find some of what they need without breaking the bank.

And hopefully the engines themselves will be willing to cooperate after being neglected and cast aside for so long.

~~~~~

Okay, so if you can't tell, this is a world where many of the vehicles that humans build and use are sentient beings, sort of like in "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "Cars" (if Cars had humans).  They have a fair bit of control over themselves, but still need human crew to fully operate most of the time.  They do have faces, but not Thomas-style faces where it covers most of the front of their body.  They're much less intrusive, being just eyes and a mouth somewhere that makes sense on the front of their body, like this:
As sentient beings, they've all got their own personalities and feelings, most have names, they can feel pain and other physical sensations with surprising sensitivity.  Their bodies are a bit flexible, but not quite to the extent of the characters in "Cars".  When a locomotive and its crew are familiar with one another and have formed a tight bond, one can expect to see significantly better physical performance out of both.  The mental health of a sentient vehicle has a significant and direct impact on their physical capabilities, meaning a happy, satisfied train with a good crew that they're close to will tend to perform significantly better than their design specifications say they should be able to, while a depressed or angry locomotive or one with a crew that they're always at odds with will have substantially worse general performance, or may even straight-up refuse to work at all.

Please keep in mind for the vehicles that most of what the FBLRR is going to be using/getting their hands on is going to be old, outdated, and generally unwanted equipment.  Very little, if anything, is going to be new or modern (for the present time period of 1970) so try to keep to trains that were built between the 1940s and the early '60s, or were being retired from service in 1966 at the latest.  Trucks could probably be a bit newer, like '68 or '69 (giggity), but toss in some older ones as well for added historical nostalgia stuff.

Character Forms:

Human:

Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Personality:
Relevant skills:
Recommended/Desired/Current job:
Other:

Trains:

Name: (If they were ever given one, or can remember their name)
Class: (The exact type of train they were.  Please be specific.  If you have an idea about what you want from the character, do some searching online to find something that might match what you want)
Personality:
Picture (Optional):
Other:

Trucks:

Name: (Again, if they ever got one)
Personality:
Picture: (Optional)
Other:

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Re: The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Starrnico on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:57 am

"Cat, my full name is Katherine Alicia Hill." She Said, looking to the others as they were named then looking at Nathan curiously. He seemed to be her age, and as cold as she had been. Hm. When she had warmed up a bit, she took Ben's coat and set it on the seat near him. "Thank you for letting me borrow your coat." She wasn't going to give up her blanket though, it meant too much to her.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)
Gold Pieces: 15 g 42 s 86 c

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:11 am

"Well it's nice to meet you Cat," Ben said with a smile.  "And don't mention it about the jacket.  What was I supposed to do?  Let you sit there freezing your tailbone off with just that blanket around you?"

Nathan looked over curiously at Cat as well.  He was a bit surprised at how bad her past had been.  She'd lost her family just like he had, though in a different way most likely, she almost had to deal with some really awful adults like he had dealt with, and she was now on the run with nowhere to go an nobody to turn to, just like him.

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
I AM THE SALMON MODERATOR
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:26 am

At the mention of the blanket, Cat pulled it closer around herself, nodding "Some would, I am glad you are nicer than that. What will you do with me now?" She asked then looked to Nathan "And Nathan?" She was curious about his story too.

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:51 am

Nathan shuddered a bit and was quiet for a good few minutes, but eventually he said "I-I used to live in Vancouver... Last week I w-was walking home with my parents at night and some guys jumped out of an alley waving knifes at us.  They started shouting at us, my mom and me were screaming, and my dad tried to fight them off.  There was... I don't know what happened next, but the next thing I remember they had beat me up and dragged me to a van, and... m-my parents were lying on the ground... and d-didn't g-get up..."  He fell quiet for a while again, softly weeping to himself for a good ten minutes before he managed to calm enough to continue.  "...they... they took me on a t-train and brought me d-down here to America... I don't know what they were g-gonna do with me, b-but when they stopped at the station here I ran into the crowd, out into the town, and just kept running... I found this place and tried to hide here, but it was so cold and dark... M-Miss Helen saw me and let me hide inside her where it was a little warmer... she talked to me and even sang me a song to help me sleep... A-are you guys really gonna make her better again?..."

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:28 pm

"Yes, we will make Helen better" Lilly said, reaching over to squeeze his shoulder gently "We can send out for information on your parents, see if they survived. If they didn't we can see what to do from there." She said then looked to Cat and patted her knee "We can see what we can do for you too, after we get home."

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:37 am

Nathan was quiet in surprise and bewilderment as he listened to what Lilly was saying.  Why were these people being so nice to him?... Soon enough, however, he nodded his understanding and agreement, yawning and tiredly leaning over against Lilly and longingly mumbling "...home..." before he passed out asleep.

~~~
The rest of the nearly 2 hour trip was pretty uneventful for those riding along in Riley, and for the saved locomotives it just served to work the copious amounts of grease that had been applied to them deep into their aged joints.  With the length of the journey and the steady but reasonable speed, by the time the cavalcade was pulling into Fort Fairfax yard all five of them were rolling like they were practically new.

A serious surprise that was there waiting for them was that the tracks around the round house and turntable were mostly cleared.  Corey and Julia, after watching the first movie together, had gotten to work and had cleared off all those tracks that would be hard to reach with a plow on a truck or and engine.  They'd also cleared the tracks within about 20 feet of the front of the worksheds and had sprayed down road salt everywhere they could reach, so very little of the snowfall within the yard was deeper than about 30 inches.

The Jeep unit and his rotary snowblower quickly set to work, as did Ben and Riley, leaving the rest of the train parked at the entrance to the yard.  Between the two of them over the next two hours they managed to get all the tracks leading to the turntable, round house, and workshed cleared, as well as a few of the longer sidings and holding tracks as well.  Nathan and Connie took full advantage of the situation and were both sleeping soundly for most of the event.  Once the plowing was done, Ben brought Riley and everyone else (except for Roger, Dirk and Gus, who had stayed in the locomotives to keep them company and to not be in the way) into the workshed and brought his rail wheels up, then pulled him off the tracks to the side and out of the way before he started waking up everyone who'd been sleeping while the two of them worked.

Outside, the Jeep engine had cleared off one of the yard's WYE reversal junctions and used that to turn the consists of coaches around before parking the CZ express coaches and the Heavy Pullman cars each on their own siding.  He then did the same thing with reversing the entire consist of the locomotives, then set to work on putting everyone where they needed to go.  First in line was Rosie, who was giddy with excitement as she was pulled away from the head of the consist, then slowly *clunkaclunkaclunkaclunked* backwards down towards the first open bay in the workshed, with Corey acting as a spotter and carefully guiding them in.  "Oh my God, I can't believe this is finally happening," she said estatically.  "I'm finally gonna get back to work, and get rid of this bum wheel too."

"What do you think, Helen?" Sam asked the native Canadian Hudson locomotive in front of her.  "This area remind you of home much?  It's definitely got the mountains, the snow, and the millions of towering evergreen trees, doesn't it?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:03 am

Cat had likewise fallen asleep for the trip, to sleep in warmth was so wonderful, especially after having been so cold. 

After they arrived, Lilly got out so she could go and talk to her father about the two foundlings. She so wanted to adopt or foster them both if Nathan's parents really were dead and hadn't just been injured. No way was she going to let some child kidnapping ring take him again.

Helen looked around at the place again at Sam's question then nodded a little "Yeah, it does look like home." She said softly, happy to see familiar trees and almost familiar mountains. She could certainly, easily get used to the differences here compared to where she had worked for so long.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:01 am

Connie and Ben both agreed to just let the kids keep sleeping in Riley's cab as they quietly got out and got ready to help out with the inevitable mountain of servicing and repair work their "new" engines would be needing.

"Keep coming..." Corey called and signaled to the GP-40 as Rosie was pushed backwards into the number four servicing track inside the workshed.  "A little more... aaaaaand... That'll do!"  Rosie and the Jeep responded smartly, coming to a complete stop within a foot of where Corey had predicted.  He ran up to unhook Rosie from the tow diesel and called to him and his driver "Alright, go get the Hudson next, put her on Track Three!  We're gonna save number Five for the GS-7 since that's where she'll fit the easiest."  The driver nodded and started backing off, quickly heading back over to the far end of the consist to grab Helen and bring her where they'd been ordered to.  "Hey Roger!" Corey called up towards Rosie's high cabin.  "Julia wants your help down here, she said she wants to get right to work on replacing Rosie's bum wheel.  I gotta go help guide in the other engines, she said go grab a spare axle with the hydraulic lifting cart and bring it to Rosie's booster, she's getting the gantry warmed up!"

~~~
"Yeah, my native home was always out in the California desert," Sam said with a bit of indifference.  "I always thought it was too hot and too dry down there, too many snobby movie stars as well.  I think I'm gonna like it here a lot better.  Malcom, you're a local, relatively, but what about you, Duck?  What's England like?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:12 pm

Roger looked at Corey then nodded as he climbed down. "Alright, I'm on it" He said and headed off to get the cart and the axle. This would be interesting and possibly fun to make sure all the trains could run well again.

Duck was quiet a moment in thought before he shrugged "Well, a lot like here, just without the tall mountains, at least the places I was. I could see some from certain tracks, but I mostly stayed in the flats even with the different crews all the time." He said quietly. He wasn't used to being 'in the spotlight' so to speak, but he spoke clearly so they could hear him.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:10 pm

By the time Roger had made his way back over to Rosie's bay with the cart and her replacement axle, Julia would already have brought the overhead gantry crane over and positioned it directly above Rosie's B unit.  She started tying down the brakes on the F7 herself and called out "Hey Roger, once you got that cart in position, go ahead and decouple her booster and start getting the chain hooks attached to the corners of the frame!"

~~~
"Alright Canadian, you're up next," the Jeep said as he pulled down and coupled up to Helen's front.  Dirk hopped down out of Sam's cab and headed up to uncouple the two steam engines, then signalled the tow engine he was clear.  "See you in a few minutes Helen," Sam called with a smile as she watched the other engine get pulled out away from the consist, then Dirk ran up and threw the points again to send Helen to the right track in the workshed.  "Oh that sounds like a wonderful place to live and work, Duck," Sam added.  "I heard that Great Britain has a lot of flatlands and gentle hills, which would be great for an engine like me.  I just wish traveling abroad was as easy for us trains as it is for humans, because if it was I would love to head over there for a visit sometime."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Rogen nodded and moved to uncople the engine from the Bible unit so it could get its new wheel and axle. "Got it" He said when he got it all ready.
~~~~
Helen chuckled softly and smiled at him. "See you soon Sam" She said as she started being towed away. She was glad to be going to the shed to get worked on. 

Duck smiled and nodded. "Yeah, people can just hope on a plane, us, we have to take a ship to cross the ocean.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:43 pm

Once Julia had unbolted the forward bogey from the chassis of the booster engine and Roger had gotten the lifting hooks in place on all four corners of the frame, Julia started up the old chain winch.  It quickly yanked up the slack in the connections, and gradually lifted the F7B off the rails, and off of the truck that they needed to replace the axle on.  "Alright, so we gotta park that axle on the rails," Julia said.  "Lift the truck, roll the bad one out and put it to the side, then roll the new one underneath and reconnect it.  Seems simple enough, right?"  Julia laughed then leaned back against a support beam and folded her arms in a bored way.  "I wanna see you do it all alone this time."

~~~
"You think I'll be next?" Sam asked, probably to Gus as Helen was pushed back towards the shed she'd be spending a few days in at least.  "Ooh man, how long do you think it'll be until I can work again?  We've gotta fix my booster and my guide rails, and clean everything out, but is there anything else you can remember that we've gotta fix?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 am

All alone?" Roger asked, looking to her then starting on the work "What, not even spot checking?" He asked jokingly as he moved, doing the work one step at a time and double checking himself as he went 

~~~
"You will be next, you are next in line after all" Gus said, smiling at her as they waited for the jeep to come back for her. "It will be a good while to get everything fixed up, but we will get you ready to go again. I promise"

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:35 am

Julia laughed a bit and shook her head, saying "Nope, all on your own this time around.  Just don't screw up anything with Rosie's booster too badly or roll a wheel over your foot and cut off your toes.  You wouldn't be too much use around here with only one and a half feet."

~~~
"Keep her coming..." Corey said as Helen was being backed into the maintenance bay immediately to Rosie's right.  "Little further... aaaaaand there!"  Again, the locomotive stopped within a meter of where he had intended.  "Alright, go get the GS-7, she'll go in number Five," he called as he set up wheel chocks to act as Helen's brakes before he uncoupled her.  "Then we can put both the little ones in Bay 2 together."

"Alright, got it!" the GP-40's driver replied as he was already pulling back out to do exactly that.

"Wow, you're a pretty one, aren't you?" Corey chuckled as he looked over the old Hudson.  The last Hudson, as a matter of fact.  "What seems to be the trouble with you?"

~~~
"You really think we will?" Sam asked nervously.  "Well if you're confident, Gus, then so am I.  I guess I just feel sorry for whoever gets to clean all the sludge and old oil out of the tanks in my tender.  That's gonna be one helluva mess in there."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:35 pm

Roger chuckled, though she was speaking the truth. Under her watchful eyes, he did what needed to be done to replace the axle and wheel with the new set they had ready to go. When he was done he looked to her and nodded "Alright, ready to put the box back on."
~~~
Helen looked to him and shrugged a little bit "You tell me" She said then chuckled "I think it's just a major cleaning and refilling." She answered then grinned "I'm Helen"
~~~
Gus laughed at that and nodded then shook his head "Well, being the new hand, they may make me do at least part of that cleaning up." He said jokingly though he certainly wouldn't mind working with her. 
~~
Lilly knocked on her father's office door and waited for him to call her in. They had to find out what was going to happen to the kids.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:18 am

"Very good, Roger," Julia said, clearly pleased with his work, and by extension her own teaching abilities, as she made her way over closer and watched him lower the bogey frame back down onto the replacement axle and bolt it into place.  "I'm impressed, you've made a lot of progress.  Even if you might be a little slow, at least that shows you're careful about not making mistakes."  Once Roger had finished his work with the bogey and moved out of the way, Julia began manipulating the overhead gantry crane again and said "You go ahead and go start working on Rosie's motors while I finish up here.  We'll need to drain the fluids from her engine and take the batteries out to recharge, but that shouldn't be too tough for you after what I just watched."

~~~
"Well yeah, that and the fact that all your brake pads are either shot or gone," Corey chuckled.  "No real problem there, though, brake shoes are pretty easy to get or make.  My name's Corey, it's nice to meet you Helen."

~~~
"Well even if they have you do all of it, at least I'll get to be spending time with you," Sam chuckled, smiling as she watched the Jeep engine pull backwards past her, Dirk having already uncoupled the two tank engines from her tender as they passed.  "I mean, after all, I suppose I'm your engine now more than anything, and you're my engineer in the same way.  We've already bonded pretty well, we get along nicely, plus you've got years of experience running big steam locos like me, I can't see a reason why they'd ever not put us together."  She giggled in excitement as the UP diesel coupled up to her front and pulled her forwards away from the two little tank engines, then started backing her slowly into the largest bay inside the workshed.  "Wow, I'm even gonna finally have a roof over my boiler and be out of the cold and snow for once, on top of everything else."

~~~
"Come in," Mr. Iverson said simply when he heard the knock at his door, smiling when he looked up and saw his daughter walking in.  "Lilly, you're back!" he said happily as he stood to go and hug her.  "So how did it go?  Were you and the others able to find a few engines for us to fix up and get this line running again?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:28 pm

Roger nodded then smiled again "Yeah, last thing I would want is to have to take this all apart for a mistake I made." He said then moved to get started cleaning up the engine.
~~
"Well, yeah, that too" Helen said with a chuckle. "It would be good to be able to stop when I want to. So, a bit of work, but not too much really."
~~~
"I would certainly like to work with you." Gus said then grinned "Yeah, you have a roof and will be taken care of here, I'll do what I can to make certain of that." He said gently.
~~~
Lilly came in and smiled at her father "It was quite a trip, I have to say that. We found several good engines and a whole consist of cars, two sets in one." She said then frowned a little "There is something else we found. Two children, one for certain an orphan and the other possibly one too."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:59 pm

"Yeah, that'd be embarrassing, wouldn't it?" Rosie chimed in.  "Be careful in there, you, don't yank out anything important, ya' hear?"

~~~
"Yeah, that all seems perfectly doable," Corey said with a smile.  "I'm sure we'll have you up and running within the week, as long as we don't find anything else awful when we take a look around inside."

~~~
"Yeah, I know you will Gus, thank you," Sam said, smiling as she watched the roof of the shed appear above her as she was pushed backwards inside, with Dirk walking backwards by her tender spotting for the GP-40.  Once they'd gotten her into position well and stopped, she tied down her brakes and looked around with a smile as the Jeep rolled away to at last grab Duck and Malcom.  "Oh this is gonna be amazing..."

~~~
"You guys got coaches?  Are they in good shape?" Henry asked anxiously, giving an excited grin at Lilly's affirmative nod.  "Wow, Lil, that's fantastic.  I might be starting to think that bringing that Dirk fellow back onboard was a good idea after all."  He lowered his tone a bit and firmly said "I'm serious about wanting you to stop seeing him, though.  I'm sure he's a good man, but I'm not ready to lose you yet, especially since you're all I have left of your mother."
He sighed a bit, then frowned again at the mention of their two new charges.  "Kids?  How did you find orphans in a railroad boneyard?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:48 am

Roger smiled and gave her a pat. "I do know what I am doing Rosie, Julia spent a long time teaching me." He said and chuckled as he got to work. This could take a while.
~~~
Helen frowned a little at that and looked down. She hoped they didn't find anything awful when they started working. She knew she would get sent to be melted down if they couldn't get her working again. It was the same fear they all had, having just been rescued from a boneyard.
~~~
Gus smiled and patted her again then looked to Dirk as he stepped out to have a bit of a look around "What do I do now?" He asked the other man. Did he have to do anything like meet someone or sign papers or just get started?
~~~
"The coaches are in decent shape. The pullman ones will need the seating repaired at least, and at least one window, I'll have to look over the other windows to see how they fared during the trip. Most likely the brake pads will have to be replaced and painting, but I saw nothing more than those things in the walk through."
She frowned a little at him talking about Dirk and losing her then shook her head "Dad, no matter who I marry or when, you will never lose me. I plan on running this place after you. You won't lose me, but you will gain a son. Preferably one who can stand beside me and help me with running the place. And as far as Dirk in particular, he hasn't asked me for even a date though that is probably because of you. I like him, but I don't know if it will eve be more than that,  that's what dating is supposed to be for, getting to know someone so you can know if they are the one for you or not."
She took a deep breath after all that then refocused on the situation at hand. "Now, as far as the kids, one is a girl, her name is Kathrine Hill and she goes by Cat. She knows her parents are dead and that she was going to be sent to an absolutely horrid orphanage, or more likely one of those 'children's homes' where they work the kids, don't feed them well, and never try to find them new homes. She ran away and found the cars her father used to work on and was there when we found her, almost frozen. She looks to be in her mid teens. The other one is a boy, Nathan Yeager, he saw his parents shot and thinks they are dead but he was kidnapped by a slavery gang and taken away so there is some slim chance that he is not an orphan. I told him I would look into that for him. I don't think he has even hit his teens yet, either eleven or twelve. He is from Canada, so it could take a bit to track down anyone that knows anything. Also, there was a man there that I hired on. He and one of the engines already have a bond even though his original engine was taken from him and killed." She said then took a breath again. Now for the big thing "If the kids are orphans as they think, I want to adopt them or have you adopt them so they can stay here with us."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:06 am

"Aulright, I guess I'll have to take your word on that," Rosie chuckled.  "You mind if I take a nap while you work?"

~~~
"Hey, what's the matter?" Corey asked Helen puzzledly.  "Oh don't worry, we're not gonna have you scrapped, even if we find something huge wrong with you.  We just got you, and you're probably the last of your kind.  If I know Mr. Iverson, he'll keep you around until we can make enough money to fix you if we discover something major.  We've all watched too many trains get hauled off to their demise for him to permit something like that, even with the company in such a fragile financial statement as it is right now.  Trust me, I'm sure everything will be just fine."

It was around now that Connie made her way over to the pair and spoke with Corey for a brief moment, then the male jogged off back outside to help guide in the last pair of engines.  "Alright Empress, you ready to get started?" she asked as she got a tool cart and started working on removing some of the plates of her firebox.  "I think we aught to start off with a good scrub-down inside, get all those pipes cleaned out."

~~~
"Well I'm sure you'll want to speak to Mr. Iverson about making the position official and everything," Dirk said with a shrug.  "But for now, I don't think anyone would mind if we just got started on getting Sam good to go."  He glanced back at the big, boxy tender she had and smirked a bit.  "Well since all the equipment you'd need is right there in the back of this bay, how about you get started on purging all the old oil and sludge from her tender tanks?  I can work on getting measurements for the couple parts Julia will need to rebuild or replace, like those guide rails and the booster's steam return piping while you're starting on that."  He chuckled as Sam rolled her eyes a bit.  "Think of it as... a bit of an initiation for the new engineer."

"Called it, Gus," Sam laughed.  "I knew you'd get stuck with cleaning me out.  All I can say is good luck, and I hope you can find some chest-height waders or something, because it's gonna be nasty in there..."

~~~
"Alright... Just you last two, and then I can finally go home... Leave this dump of a railroad behind..." the Jeep engine grumbled as he roughly stunted into Duck and Malcom, then yanked them backwards with him as he moved back to clear the points and put the two tank engines where they would fit best in the sheds.  "Problem is I'm sure I'll end up back here in a couple months to get you all again, but this time to take you lot to Mount Oliver Smelter's Works where you belong.  Rosie I'll be sad to see go, she's still kinda pretty, but the rest of you outdated wrecks can suck it."

~~~
Henry sighed and said "Yeah, I know you plan on succeeding me, and that's one of the things that troubles me.  You're growing up so fast, I can feel you maturing away from being my little girl anymore.  I'm fine with you two being friends, but that's as far as I'll allow it to go, and if I catch wind of you two trying anything funny, there will be consequences for both of you, understand?" (Totally setting us up for a juicy forbidden relationship, it's gonna be so much fun, especially if and when they get caught or sold out...)
He listened quietly as Lilly told him about the situation with the kids, arching an eyebrow at a few points along the way.  "Well Nathan, as I'm sure you're aware, is technically an illegal immigrant, and I'll be required by federal law to make a report to the government about his discovery," he said, initially sounding cold and heartless before breaking into a sly smirk.  "But I'm sure that, somehow, that report won't manage to make its way to the final destination.  And as a result of that, I don't think we have any choice but to take care of both of them in the meantime, as long as that might last.  I think that adopting the two of them would be a wonderful idea, though perhaps both of them might be a bit too much for you alone.  Maybe you could take Nathan under your wing, and ask Benjamin or perhaps Julia if either of them would mind taking care of miss Kathrine.  I don't think you're quite ready to deal with a teenager yet, but I'm sure they could handle her well enough."
He looked out the window towards the marshaling yard for a moment, then added "You know, I think I might as well return to the sheds with you.  It'd only be proper to meet this potential new employee face to face, as well as meet the trains themselves."  He shuffled around through his desk for a moment until he found a packet of paperwork for an official hiring of someone to a certain position, then put that and a few other things into his briefcase and went to grab his jacket.  The man definitely had heart, but when it really came down to it, Mr. Iverson was nothing if not a practical and efficient businessman, and there was nobody better to get this railroad on its wheels and moving than him.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:06 pm

"I don't mind" Roger said gently. He knew this would take a while to get her cleaned up and all her fluids changed out and refilled with fresh stuff.
~~~~
Helen smiled at that, glad for the reassurance that she wouldn't be scraped for anything even if it took a while to fix something. She smiled when Connie came in "Yeah, a good cleaning sounds wonderful"
~~~
Gus nodded and looked to Sam "Yeah, it'll be good to get her all cleaned up and ready for new parts." He said, going to the back to get the supplies he would need to start the cleaning process.
~~~
"Easy, we have done nothing to hurt you" Duck said with a frown at the jeep. He would be glad to see this one leave and not return
~~~
Lilly gave a sad smile and went to hug her father "No, I will always be your little girl, even when I am married and have kids of my own." She said then let him get the paperwork so they could go "Do you want to see the kids? They are still in Riley sleeping and keeping warm right now." She said curiously. "We weren't sure what to do with them, but they both need a bath and probably clean clothes to wear. I hope we can get them both allowed to stay with us."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Rosie smiled and replied with a simple "Thanks," and within a few minutes she was softly snoring, a sound that would echo through her interior and likely start driving Roger just a little bit nuts.

~~~
"Well then let's not waste any more time hun," Connie chuckled as she got Helen's firebox opened up and carefully set the bottom plate and structure down on top of her rear drivers and the suspension.  She then clambered up inside the firebox with a light, some very very long, stiff wire brushes, and a hose nozzle from an air compressor, and got right to work.  To the old Hudson the cleaning would feel gloriously liberating, like she was being relieved of a constant headache and clogged nose that she'd had for so long it had simply become normal and her senses would have adjusted to consider her perpetual flu as the new norm.  Soon enough, Connie broke out the compressed air hose and chunks of old creosote and boiler sludge began erupting out of Helen's smokestack, making a bit of a mess of things but finally starting to clear Helen's head proper.  "Man, if I can hear the chunks of crap raining down on your boiler from in here," Connie laughed.  "Then I guess we can say that humans smoking is just as bad for them as it is for steam engines, am I right?"

~~~
Dirk smiled and nodded his agreement, then turned to get right to work on what he'd said he would do.

"Amen to that," Sam chuckled, watching Gus through a convex mirror attached to the front wall of the shed.  "You're probably gonna want to bring a shovel and some bunson burners or something else hot in there, Gus, because whatever was left in my tank might be pretty well frozen on top of being a big sludgy mess, sorry..."

~~~
"Really?..." the Jeep sneered as he slowly pushed the two tank engines into Bay Two and stopped once Malcom was towards the back of the track.  "You old wrecks have sopped up my whole day so far, I've been out here pushing you five all over hell and creation, clearing 3 feet of snow from half your yard, and for what?"
Corey had gotten Malcom's brakes tied down by now and uncoupled him from Duck so the GP-40 could pull back and leave a bit of space between the two small engines.
"I'm doing all this work for a railroad that's gonna tank before next Christmas rolls around, and then if my luck holds, I'll get to drag you bums kicking and screaming all the way up to Mount Oliver so you can finally get put down.  It's just ridiculous, I say good riddance."

Sam, Riley, Connie, Dirk, Corey, and Julia were all getting pretty pissed with this stuck-up UP engine by this point as he stopped again and Corey tied down Duck's brakes before uncoupling him.  He was about to snap some rude comeback when, to everyone's surprise, Malcom spoke up and angrily said "Alright, seriously George, you've been nothing but a colossal d#ck all friggin' day!  Can you please just shut the hell up?  You can talk sh#t about me all you want, I really am just a worthless safety hazard, but YOU LEAVE THE REST OF THEM ALONE, YOU GOT THAT!?"

Everyone was quiet for a moment in shock, the noise having awoken Nathan with a start as he instinctively clung to Cat in fear, but eventually George's driver broke the silence.

"I'm real sorry about his temper, he's a bit of a hothead when it comes to getting unexpected jobs... Come on, let's go George, our work here is done anyways."

"Yeah, about d#mn time," the Jeep engine huffed as he started backing out of the sheds.  "I'm sick of getting talked back to by these useless relics anyways."

"Yeah, go f#ck yourself you stuck up pr#ck," Sam barked in anger before George got outside the sheds.  "You better watch your back, someone might decide to pour sugar into your fuel tanks."  Before the Union Pacific engine could respond, Corey slammed the bay door shut, so the spiteful engine resorted to a harsh, loud blast on his horn before he pulled away to fetch his snowblower and head home.

"God, what a jack#ss..." Connie grumbled.

Rosie had some how managed to sleep through the whole exchange.

~~~
Henry smiled and nodded at Lilly's suggestion as they headed downstairs towards where they'd meet back up with Skylar to head back to the sheds.  "Yes, of course, they'd deserve exactly that," he said.  "Though I think that the fresh clothes might have to wait until we get a locomotive working.  Pretty much every store in the valley has been stripped dry by panicked residents.  I've been working with the mayors of each of the towns and, between the six, we've purchased enough supplies to make up a sizable merchandise train.  The only problem is... It's in Lake Hurst, and the Union Pacific refuses to spare a locomotive to bring it the rest of the way here until at least January.  If we want it to get here anytime soon, we've gotta go get it ourselves.  With the Holidays coming up, I say we need to have at least three engines workable by the end of the week, and hopefully we'll have four running by the week before Christmas.  We'll need at least that much to be able to handle the traffic of the Holiday Rush."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:19 pm

Roger tried to tune it out as he worked, though he would need a break after a while. He went to find earplugs, even if it was just cotton before he got back to work
~~~
Helen closed her eyes as the sludge and chunks started erupting. It did feel so much better to have that out of her, but she didn't want it getting in her eyes or mouth, so she didn't answer right away. 
~~~
Gus nodded and grabbed some of them too, coming over so he could get started. Thawing the frozen mess would take some time, but it had to or it would break things. 
~~~
"That's more than a 'bit of a hothead'" Duck said calmly with a frown, glad the door had been closed so they could be left to settle down. "Maybe they should take him off the roster for being called on any jobs 'suddenly' if he is that bad at holding his temper" 

Cat startled awake at the horn blast and Nathan grabbing onto her. She frowned and looked around then moved her blanket to let him in the blanket with her. 

Lilly stayed close to him as they walked to get Skylar, surprised at the horn blast but thinking it was just a 'goodbye' honk "Sounds like everyone's in the shed now." She added as she followed her father. "There should be enough in decent shape to have at least 4 running by then."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:00 pm

"Jeez, I'll be glad if I never see him again..." Connie grumbled as she kept on cleaning out Helen's piping.  After a little while she stopped using the air hose to let Helen have a breather for a moment and asked "Well?  That starting to feel better girl?"

~~~
"Try not to light yourself on fire in there, Gus," Sam half-joked as she watched Gus getting ready to dive in back by her tender.  "You probably won't be a very good engineer if you're all crispy and junk when you crawl out."

~~~
"Yeah, I'll say..." Corey fumed, glancing back at the two tank engines as Malcom had fallen totally silent again.  He sighed and went back to looking over Duck thoroughly in search of any major flaws.

"Oh, hey, easy there guys..." Riley said, feeling the kids shuffling around in his back seat.  "It's okay, George was just being angry and bitter, that's all.  No need to be scared."

~~~
"Yeah, that's what I gathered from that as well," Henry said as he opened Sky's passenger door for Lilly, helping her get in before heading around to get in himself and help drive them all to the sheds.  "That sounds like fantastic news.  Now, I have to ask... How much cash was left over?  Did you guys have to spend all of it to get such good equipment?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:23 am

"Oh, that feels so much better" Helen said softly, glad for the cleaning so far. Her voice had changed a little with the cleaning, not being as stuffed up as it had been.
~~~
Gus laughed at that and nodded "I will do my best Sam, being 'burnt Gus' wouldn't be that great a first impression for the new boss either." He joked as he got to work with what he could 
~~~
Duck waited for him to do his once-over ad check for anything major, calming himself from the jeep's attitude. 

Cat looked at the truck as she held Nathan close "Where did everyone go?" She asked after a moment. She was a bit scared they had gone to the cops or something. 
~~~
Lilly waited for him to get in the drivers seat after making sure she got in safely then told him about the engines, their prices, the total and the amount lest to them now for repairs or other engines.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:02 pm

"Well I'm glad to hear that," Connie said with a grin as she went back to using the wire brushes again.  "I can already hear it in your voice too.  You ready for the other half of the pipes?"

~~~
Sam chuckled a bit in return, then settled down a bit, sighing in content as she could already feel the soothing heat radiating through her tender, gradually starting to melt the nearly solid mass of old fuel oil.  It wouldn't get too much better, since all the volatile compounds in the oil would have boiled off over the years, leaving it as little more than a thicker version of the junk that boils up out of the La Brea tar pits.  It would be a total pain to get rid of the stuff as well, since in order to burn it off they would need to reintroduce the combustible elements to the mixture.  Likely the best thing they could do with it would be to just dump it in one of the old gondola cars that had been left sitting beside the sheds and simply leave it there until the spring thaw.
This was gonna take a while...

~~~
"Wow, Duck, you're in fantastic shape for how old you are..." Corey said in surprise.  "Honestly we could probably fire you up right now if we wanted to.  Your bunkers might be empty, but Helen's tender still has some coal in it, and we can get more water in you easy enough.  You wanna give it a shot?"

~~~
"It's okay guys," Riley said as Nathan gladly cuddled up with Cat under her blanket.  "They're all right here, working on the trains we just brought back."

"A-are you guys g-gonna send me away?..." Nathan asked shakily, freezing in fright when someone new abruptly opened the rear passenger-side door and climbed up to look over the two orphaned kids.

"What are you talking about?" Ashley asked puzzledly.  "Why would we send you away?  And where did you guys even come from?"

~~~
"That much left over!?" Mr. Iverson blurted in surprise.  "Wow, that Dirk fellow sounds like a miracle worker... Maybe I should have him start negotiating with my investors and stock brokers for me.  If he can keep up that sort of performance, he could save us tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars."  He smiled when he watched the auto bay door open for them, giving a nod of approval to Ben when he saw him standing at the controls.  "Thank you for the ride, Skylar," he said with a smile and a praising pat on her dashboard as he got out, eager to meet the new locomotives.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum