The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The year is 1970.  The American railroad industry is modernizing at an incredible pace, and steam locomotives as a species are being killed off in preference of more reliable and efficient diesel-electric locomotives.  Thousands of the old iron giants are being dragged off to scrap yards and smelting plants in long, ominous funeral trains, their eyes wide and pleading for help that will never come to any human they pass by on their way to their inevitable deaths.  To their old crews, these locos are family, but to the industry, they're now a liability, worth nothing more than their weight in scrap steel, at a rate of about forty seven dollars per metric ton.

In northern Washington State, trouble is brewing in the small railroad city of Fort Fairfax.  The local railroad company has been run out of business by the mega-tycoon that is the Union Pacific.  With the rail line shut down and deteriorating from years of disuse, the only way in and out of the valley was via the main 'highway', Route Seven, but on December 8th, 1970, heavy snow and ice caused a rock face in the mountains to collapse, completely burying three miles of Route Seven under millions of tons of granite boulders, snow, and ice near the town of Saint Josef.  Luckily only ten people were killed, but the road was rendered completely impassable, practically cutting off the entire valley of Bucket Falls from the outside world.  (There are other roads out of the valley, but Route Seven was the only one that was remotely safe in winter conditions, and the only route capable of supporting large trucks in any weather)  The only hope for Fort Fairfax, as well as the neighboring towns of Thomas Canyon, Josha's Cradle, Simonville, and Dunk Town, and the hamlet of Elena Junction, was reopening the old railroad.  The two main industries in the canyon, Dyken's Coal Mine and the Lena's Mineral Mining Company, were among the first to get onboard the bandwagon of reopening the line, followed closely by the Dunk Town Sawmill and Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals.  The companies could all theoretically survive through the winter by temporarily shutting down their operations to save capital, then reopening after the spring thaw would allow for Route Seven to be cleared and rebuilt, but in a rare stroke of plain humanity all four of the company CEOs decided that the railroad reopening would not only be good news for all of them, but more importantly, would be good news for all the people living in the valley.  With the support from the local industries and the residents of the valley, a group of citizens from Fort Fairfax formed the Full Bucket Line Preservation Society, which soon enough became the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  The initial investments from the industrial companies provided the FBLRR with most of the initial capital they needed to get most of the line repaired to the point of being safely usable, but that still left them with a rather serious problem.

What the hell good is a railroad with no locomotives and no rolling stock?

When the line was first shut down, the Union Pacific bought up everything worth recovering at the bankruptcy auction, which included all the locomotives and nearly all of the rolling stock.  There were a few cars left behind scattered around the line, but all needed serious work if they were even salvageable at all, and even all of them put together weren't going to be enough to run the railroad with.  Luckily most of the old railroad's employees were local residents, so there was no shortage of qualified workers, but the company was quickly running out of cash, and they still didn't even have any locomotives.

And so the search began for the trains that could help to save the valley of Bucket Falls.  For the size of the line they would be trying to run, starting off they would need at least one or two small locomotives for shunting work and pulling maintenance trains (probably small steam tank engines or diesel switchers), two or three mid-sized locos for general freight traffic and short, local passenger trains, and one large, powerful main-line locomotive for bringing the big freight trains in and out of the valley, as well as pulling the fast passenger services.  It's a tall order, but hopefully the folks at the FBLRR can find some of what they need without breaking the bank.

And hopefully the engines themselves will be willing to cooperate after being neglected and cast aside for so long.

~~~~~

Okay, so if you can't tell, this is a world where many of the vehicles that humans build and use are sentient beings, sort of like in "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "Cars" (if Cars had humans).  They have a fair bit of control over themselves, but still need human crew to fully operate most of the time.  They do have faces, but not Thomas-style faces where it covers most of the front of their body.  They're much less intrusive, being just eyes and a mouth somewhere that makes sense on the front of their body, like this:
As sentient beings, they've all got their own personalities and feelings, most have names, they can feel pain and other physical sensations with surprising sensitivity.  Their bodies are a bit flexible, but not quite to the extent of the characters in "Cars".  When a locomotive and its crew are familiar with one another and have formed a tight bond, one can expect to see significantly better physical performance out of both.  The mental health of a sentient vehicle has a significant and direct impact on their physical capabilities, meaning a happy, satisfied train with a good crew that they're close to will tend to perform significantly better than their design specifications say they should be able to, while a depressed or angry locomotive or one with a crew that they're always at odds with will have substantially worse general performance, or may even straight-up refuse to work at all.

Please keep in mind for the vehicles that most of what the FBLRR is going to be using/getting their hands on is going to be old, outdated, and generally unwanted equipment.  Very little, if anything, is going to be new or modern (for the present time period of 1970) so try to keep to trains that were built between the 1940s and the early '60s, or were being retired from service in 1966 at the latest.  Trucks could probably be a bit newer, like '68 or '69 (giggity), but toss in some older ones as well for added historical nostalgia stuff.

Character Forms:

Human:

Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Personality:
Relevant skills:
Recommended/Desired/Current job:
Other:

Trains:

Name: (If they were ever given one, or can remember their name)
Class: (The exact type of train they were.  Please be specific.  If you have an idea about what you want from the character, do some searching online to find something that might match what you want)
Personality:
Picture (Optional):
Other:

Trucks:

Name: (Again, if they ever got one)
Personality:
Picture: (Optional)
Other:

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Re: The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:30 pm

"Yeah, and you know, with these extra cars," Ben said as he climbed up the steps of the closest coach and cut the lock open to the interior.  "We'll be able to run local and express passenger services simultaneously as soon as we have the engines available to do it.  Now judging from the uhh... *cough* smell in here... We're gonna need to tear out all this old upholstery and put in new seats, but it looks like the windows are still intact like on the Zephyr coaches, which is awesome."

~~~
"Yeah, I'm sure we will see," Sam said with a slight shrug.

"Helen?... W-what's going on?..." Nathan asked timidly as he eased her firebox doors open and crawled out into her cab.  "W-why were we moving?... Did... D-did they come to take you away to the smelters?..."  The fragile little boy was already tearing up at the thoughts of Helen getting hauled off to die, especially since she had sheltered him the night before and had even sang to him softly to lull him to sleep.

~~~
"Here we go, this guy's gotta be it," Dirk said with a smile as he found Duck off on his siding, then set a few points correctly and signaled for the Jeep engine to come down and couple up.  They'd already grabbed Malcom, and had decided to get both tank engines in one trip.  "Yep, fifty-seven-hundred class, number nine-six-six-six, this is the right engine.  Hey, how you doing today?  You look like you could use a lift, fella."

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:24 pm

Lilly smiled at that and chuckled "That will be nice, more money coming in to fix up the rest of the engines and get them running again. That will be good" She said calmly. "Can you get any of the windows open so they can air out on the way home?" If they were going to have to replace everything anyway, might as well make it so they could go in
~~~
"Shh, we are going to a new home" Helen said quietly. She smiled though, glad he was alright after the moving around "I'm going to have a job again."
~~~
"You coming to add me to the convoy now?" Duck asked as he looked to Dirk then to the jeep "Yeah, I could use a lift for that"

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)
Gold Pieces: 15 g 42 s 86 c

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:01 pm

"Yeah, that'd be a good idea..." Ben said as he started moving around and opening up all the larger windows in the old passenger cars, breathing primarily through his mouth to mitigate how much of the smell he was actually taking in.  "Well at least the floors still seem to be fine, it's just the leather and the stuffing in the seats that's rotten."

~~~
"N-new home?..." Nathan echoed softly, smiling a bit at the thought of the kind older engine having somewhere to work and call home again.  He then shied away a bit in worry as he thought of something else.  "W-where am I gonna go?..." he asked softly, shivering and stuttering from the bitter cold.  "P-people are gonna find m-m-me and send m-me home... I d-don't wanna g-g-go home..."

"Helen?  Who're you talking to?" Sam asked curiously, wondering why the Hudson was whispering all of a sudden.

~~~
"That's just what we plan on doing," Dirk said with a smile as he opened up Duck's rear coupler and hopped up into his cab as the Jeep hooked up.  "You got a name, Great Western?" he added as he carefully released Duck's parking brakes and then gave the signal that the tow engine was waiting for to start pulling both tank engines back to add them to the growing consist.

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
I AM THE SALMON MODERATOR
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:30 pm

"Good, those can easily be replaced." Lilly said as she watched him then went to the next car to open it up for the ride. 
~~~
Helen looked to Sam then gave her a smile "I'm just excited about moving, so I was praying we all make it there safely." She said, she didn't want Nathan to be seen and taken away. That was why she had let him hide after all.
~~~
"Ben just gave me the name Duck." He answered and grinned, waiting to see Dirk's reaction to the name. He lost the grin as they started moving. He didn't hurt as much as the others who had been still longer, but he wasn't as limber as he would have been had he not been still for so long.

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:09 pm

"Indeed they can," Ben agreed, making his way to the next car and forcing the door open.  "Ahh, this one seems to be a little better... Not much, but it's something at least."

~~~
"Oh, yeah, I'm doing the same," Rosie replied, with Sam nodding her agreement.  "I just wish we could have been bought earlier, and along with someone else I know we all miss..."

Nathan sniffled a little as he curled up in one corner of Helen's (thankfully enclosed) cab and began softly crying.  He was freezing cold, hungry, hurt from the kidnapping, alone, and above all, lost.  He had nowhere to go, and no idea how to get anywhere, nobody to go to, and no clue how to keep himself alive.  "... I-It's s-so c-c-c-cold, M-Miss H-Helen..." he whimpered.  "I'm sc-cared..."

~~~
"Duck, huh?" Dirk said curiously, chuckling a little.  "You know what, I like it.  It's unique, that's for sure.  You think you're ready to get to work pretty soon?  From what I saw, we could almost drive you home as is."

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:55 pm

Lilly smiled at that as she opened a window then moved to get another one "Yeah, this one isn't as bad, but it still needs airing out too. Want to check the next one then start on the wheels, checking them over?"
~~~
Helen smiled at Sam then frowned at hearing Nathan. The boy needed warmth and food or he wouldn't make it to their new home. Did she dare to ask for a favor when one of the new people came back? "It's going to be quite a haul to get to the new housing."
~~~
"Yeah, Duck, because of that rod that flew off. We both thought that anyone near that would need to duck, and he gave me that name" He said with a shrug. "I would live to get back to work again as soon as we can make sure I can do so safely."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:37 pm

"I think these other guys have been looking over the bogeys pretty well," Ben said as he made his way through the car opening all the larger windows he easily could, then moving to get the doors to the next car open.  "We can still go down the line once we reach the end of the consist and do a quick check ourselves, but I say we get a head start on airing out these coaches."

~~~
"Eh, it's only ninety miles from here to Fort Fairfax," Sam shrugged.  "And I think we can probably say we'll be doing around 45 miles per for most of the trip, so two hours or so, as long as the snow isn't too problematic."

"A-are they g-gonna d-deport m-m-me when we get th-there, Helen?..." Nathan asked worriedly.  "Sh-should I j-j-just g-get out and r-run n-now?..."

~~~
"That's what I like to hear," Dirk said with a smile, giving Duck a firm pat on the outer side of his cab wall as he leaned outside, looking backwards as they approached the growing locomotive convoy.  "Not even out of the scrap yard yet and you're already enthusiastic and eager, that's what we need.  I'll give you fair warning, though, with Malcom's firebox a total loss, you're gonna have pretty much all the shunting work on the whole line to yourself for quite a while.  I suppose Helen and Rosie could probably help some with that, and maybe Sam a little, but it'd be incredibly wasteful and inefficient, so you're gonna be one busy little tank engine.  You okay with that, think you can handle it?"

(Ooh, just came up with an idea for Nathan and Lilly bonding like adopted siblings or something, she could help take care of him and they could both pair up with Rosie!)

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:11 am

Ben would find a couple of things in the next car when he opened it. First that there was a broken window, making it easier to breathe since it had been 'airing out' already. Second was a girl, shivering as she slept on one of the benches. 

"I would like to double check once we are done in here." Lilly said as she followed him.
~~~
"No Nathan, don't run away." Helen said worriedly. She wished she could help him get warm, but she couldn't start a fire on her own. "Please, make a small fire for yourself before you freeze. I'm pretty sure these people won't mind and won't send you away."
~~~
"I never did care for being sidelined" Duck said "Even though I never found a crew that I clicked with, I do like the work." He waited to get added to the growing consist happily. Yay, they were leaving this place. 

(Sounds good Smile )

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:56 am

"Oh jeez, why is it so cold in here?..." Ben wondered aloud as his eyes were drawn to the busted window.  "Oh, well that'd explain that and the lack of sme--..."  He stopped dead when he saw the figure of a little girl lying in the fetal position on one of the half-rotted benches with only a thin jacket and a large but relatively intact porter's blanket wrapped tightly around herself. (Perhaps a treasured memento of some sort, like a reminder of family?  Or if she's always been a stray, then a gift she was given by a kindly railroad worker years ago?  Bleh, ideas for extra backstory are always pinging around in my mind, XD)  She was shivering hard from the cold, and her skin was pale, ashen almost, and although it took Ben a few seconds to process what he was seeing, he shook his head and reached over to shake this mysterious girl's shoulder.  "Hey, hey kid?... W-what are you doing here, where are your parents?" he asked worriedly.

~~~
Nathan was still for a moment in fearful contemplation since he really had no idea how to light a fire, especially in a big steam locomotive like Helen (Who, as I just found out, was originally built in such a way that she can efficiently burn either coal OR wood as fuel, which I think is kinda cool).  Still, even though he really had no idea what he was doing, he struggled to his feet and opened the door at the rear of her cab.  After a couple of minutes he had managed to drag a shovel of old, dry coal into her cab and dump it into her firebox, and after fiddling with some old matches he found under one of the seats in her cab, he managed to get it lit.  It wasn't much, and normally wouldn't have even lit in the first place since Helen's dampers were totally closed, but since the coal was so dry and there was only a little bit of it, it seemed to light easily enough.  It wasn't going to be burn cleanly since the draft wasn't controlled, and it'd likely lead to Connie or Julie or someone else needing to clean out Helen's firebox and her vent piping, but hey, that was bound to end up happening anyways.
It took a moment and another shovel to get going, but soon Nathan was curled up against Helen's fire door feeling significantly warmer and finally smiling, no longer shivering nearly as much as the heat from the fire filled the frigid cab.  Those hot gasses were also going somewhere else, however, rising up into the top of Helen's firebox and getting funneled through her heating pipes, which ran through the middle of a giant block of ice that was taking up most of her steam chamber.  Gradually the heat began melting the ice and unblocking Helen's piping, which would feel heavenly to the old steamer as the warmth of a fire once again flowed through her, and while the smoke from the firebox wasn't quite able to make it out thanks to some more gummed-up tubes, after a few minutes a thin wisp of steam began drifting up out of her smokestack.

"Man, Helen, this cold really must be getting to you," Rosie chuckled, giving the old Hudson a gentle, teasing shove.  "You're starting to talk to nobody again, just like the middle of last night when you were singing or something.  I think we're getting you out of here just in the nick of time."

"Oh hey, look who it is!" Sam said gleefully as she watched the Jeep engine pull backwards past them pulling Malcom and Duck.  "Malcom I know, but I don't think I ever learned your name, Great Western.  You got one?... Ooh, hey now!"  She squeaked a bit in surprise when the two tank engines were shunted up into her from behind, then chuckled when she realized her tender would be taking up nearly all of what Duck could see.  "Like the view back there, little mister?" she teased, swaying her rear back and forth a bit in Duck's face as the Jeep uncoupled from Malcom and headed off with Dirk to fetch their new coaches and complete the consist.

"If I were you," Dirk chuckled to Duck as he hopped onto the GP-40's front railing as he passed.  "I'd just enjoy it while it lasts, bud."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:41 pm

Cat blinked to open her eyes then looked to Ben, shivering more now that she was awake again. She tugged the blanket tighter around herself as if to keep him from taking it from her. "W-wh-what?" She stuttered through chattering teeth.

"She's too cold" Lilly said as she came over to the girl to kneel and rub her back to try to help warm her.
~~~
"Hey, I like to sing to myself" Helen said with a smile even as she tried to open the dampers to keep the fire from getting out of control or anything. She didn't want the smoke to fill her cab and hurt Nathan. The heat did feel good though, even if the wisp of steam could be seen eventually.

"Hello ladies, I am Duck" He said, looking to Sam and Helen and the quieter Rosie. He chuckled at Dirk's joke.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:26 pm

"Yeah, no kidding," Ben said, pulling the outer layer of his jacket off and quickly putting it onto the girl.  "Jeez, what the hell are you doing here?  You're liable to freeze to death out here kid."

~~~
"Duck, huh?" Sam chuckled.  "I like it, it's cute like you are.  You gonna be okay with being my little organizer engine?  You know, like a sort of secretary but with trains that runs around and gets everything ready for me?"

As Helen got her dampers open a little the airflow to the fire increased and significantly improved the burn rate and the heat of the fire burning inside her, and consequently increased how quickly the ice in her boiler was melting, then boiling off into steam and soon there was a steady but small stream of steam flowing upwards out of her stack.

"Uhh, Helen!?  How the hell are you steaming!?" Sam blurted in alarm and confusion.  "How do you have a fire burning?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:50 pm

Cat looked up at him then pulled the pre-warmed jacket closer to her body "I-I ha-had n-nowhere el-else t-to g-go." She stuttered as she sat up, pulling her legs closer and leaning into Lilly as the other woman held her close to her side. 

"We should get her to somewhere warm." Lilly said, looking to Ben again. 
~~~
Duck chuckled at that "I would love to work again. Shunting cars sounds fun especially after having been out of work for so long." 

Helen flushed at that then looked to Sam "Um, am I?" She tried to play dumb for a moment, but couldn't hold that for long "I, um, I have a young friend inside. I don't want him taken away because the people were bad to him."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:21 pm

"Yeah, you're right," Ben said as he made for the exit from the coach.  "I'll go get Riley and bring him over here and we can keep her in there for a bit to warm her up."  With that he jumped down from the car and started running across the yard towards the parking lot, and could faintly be heard shouting "Holy balls, it's cold as SH#T out here!"

A moment after he walked away, Lilly and Cat would feel a jolt reverberate through the train as their tow engine latched on, pressurized the brake system, then gently yanked the coaches backwards and started pulling them away to finish off the salvage train.

~~~
"A young friend?  What are you talking about?" Rosie asked in confusion as Connie zipped her jacket back up and jumped down from the diesel's cab, running back towards Helen's cab to figure out what was going on.

"Helen, what is going on here?" Sam asked.  "Is there someone in your cab lighting a fire?  What are you doing?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:40 am

Lilly held Cat close as they started moving. The two girls tried to talk a little on the way to the consist. Lilly chuckled when she heard Ben talk about the cold outside. Even if it wasn't 'kid' friendly talk.
~~~
Helen frowned and looked at Connie then sighed "Yes, please don't hurt him or send him away. He's been hurt too much by others." She said softly. "He has no family and he was freezing."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:57 am

"Send him away?  Helen, you're not making any sense," Sam said in confusion as Connie climbed up the ladder on Helen's side and opened the door to the cab.  "Why don't you slow down and start from the beginning?..."

Nathan gasped in surprise and panic when he saw someone else come into the cab, shut the door, and head towards him, so scuttled away to the opposite corner, letting out a weak cry of fear before Connie reached him and wrapped the boy gently in her arms to sooth him.  It took him a moment to calm down a bit more, but soon enough he collapsed weakly into Connie's arms and started bawling.  The heartbroken blonde quickly got her coat off and put it on him as snugly as she could manage, then shut the fire door and fully opened Helen's dampers so the fire Nathan had hastily lit would burn itself up and leave as little debris as possible for them to clean out later.  Connie had already gone back to gently holding the sobbing little boy by the time the last of Helen's coal had burned itself away and her boiler began to gradually cool again.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:55 pm

Helen sighed and waited to see what would happen now, looking to Sam, Rosie and the guys then trying to see the door when it got quieter inside. "That fire felt good" She said softly because it had, and she didn't want Nathan to get in too much trouble for being there. "How are you doing Nathan?" She asked then felt the new cars being added to the end of the consist.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:08 pm

"I-I'm... w-warmer..." Nathan said shakily between his weeping.  "P-p-please don't send m-me home... I d-don't wanna g-go..."

"Shhh... It's alright buddy..." Connie said softly.  "It's gonna be alright, we'll figure this out.  Helen, where did Nathan come from?  Why is he here?"

"Alright, that's it, we should be good to go," Dirk called as he hopped off the front of the Jeep engine as he headed off to couple back up to the rotary snowplow that he had brought with him in preparation for dealing with the much deeper snow in the Bucket Falls valley.  Dirk had been significantly less surprised than everyone else at the inclusion of the seven heavy Pullman coaches in the CZ consist purchase, since he'd happened to catch a glimpse of them as they first walked up but had deliberately neglected to mention them.  What he was surprised by was when he found Lilly and Cat huddled up inside one of said coaches.  "Lilly!?  Who is this girl?" he asked in confusion.  "What is she doing here, and where is Ben?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:39 pm

"That is not my story to tell" Helen said softly. She didn't want to mess things up for him and knew he could tell his story a lot better than she could. She hoped Connie would understand and help Nathan.

~
Lilly looked up then answered the last question first "Ben went to get Riley so we would have a place to get this girl, Cat, warmed up. She was sleeping in the car when we found her. We don't know her full story yet, but we won't leave her to freeze."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:56 pm

"Well I hope we can get him back home alright," Connie said, seeming to understand and agree with what Helen had said.  She looked up and out the window at the sound of a truck horn, then smiled when he saw Riley bounding up to them with Ben in the driver's seat, the truck holding his chin as high as he could manage to keep from jamming his plow into the rails he was driving over.  When he came to a stop next to the Pullman cars Connie looked to Nathan and said "Come on buddy, let's get you in where there's some real warmth, okay?"

Nathan seemed scared still, but shakily nodded his approval.  Connie began to carry him towards the ladder, but suddenly he said "W-wait!... M-miss Helen?..." he asked shyly.  "If you still have a little steam left, c-could I please blow your whistle a bit?... I've just always wanted to do something like that..."

~~~
"Lilly, I'm here with Riley," Ben called up from outside the coaches, drawing Dirk's gaze for a moment.  "Come on, let's get her in here in the heat quick."  Dirk didn't know much less about the situation than the rest of them did, but he still knew that the right thing for him to do was to get down and be ready to help Lilly lift Cat and carry her to Riley so they could get her warm and keep her warm better.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:09 pm

Helen frowned at hearing Connie wanting to send Nathan home but smiled again when Nathan asked to blow her whistle "You got enough steam in me to blow the whistle at least once." She said gently. 

Lilly looked up when Riley came to the tracks and looked to Cat to help her up with Dirk so they could go to the truck. Neither of them knew about the other kid hiding out here with the trains. "Yeah, let's get her warmed up." She agreed.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:31 pm

Nathan smiled at that as Connie carried him over to where Helen's whistle chord hung from the ceiling.  The girl stumbled a little as she got there from the jolt of the Jeep engine coupling up to the front of the consist, but kept herself steady and heard the UP diesel give two short blasts on his horn.  She smiled at the thought that Helen would be able to send a reply and held Nathan up again as he reached to grab the chord and gave it a yank.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] of the old Hudson's whistle blast echoed through the boneyard, getting short cheers or hollers of approval, pride, or well-wishes from many of the engines being left behind, which drew proud smiles from Sam, Rosie and, shockingly, even Malcom smiled briefly.  The sound faded towards silence as the last of the pressurized steam Helen had left was blown off, but by the time Connie was climbing down the cab ladder to the ground, Nathan was already grinning ear to ear.  "Thank you, miss Helen," he said, patting her side in gratitude as Connie carried him back towards their faithful truck to start the journey home.

~~~
Dirk was about to respond, already halfway out of the car with Lilly and Cat, when to his amazement he heard Helen's whistle blowing and, shortly after, saw Connie walking towards them with a little kid in her arms.  "Okay, somebody's got some serious explaining to do," he said, rolling his eyes as he helped get Cat up into the back seat of the truck, then said "Here, Lilly, we'll have you and our guests sit in the back seat here, and Connie can stay up in the front.  I'll go find a ride with one of the engines to save you guys comfort, that sound alright?"

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed the video linked for the sound)

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Helen smiled at the cheers and well wishes as she and the others called out goodbye to the ones left behind. She was sad to leave them, but so, so happy to be leaving this place behind. 

Lilly smiled and helped Cat get in the truck, glancing to Connie and her kid curiously. "That would be great Dirk, but what are you going to do?" She asked. She didn't want him to be left behind or freeze. Maybe the jeeps would take him? 

Cat looked at Dirk with a frown "I-I'm sorry." She said, not liking that she was taking his place, even if it was so, so warm.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:39 pm

"Hey, don't be sorry kid," Dirk chuckled.  "I can probably hitch a ride back with Gus in our new engine, Sam.  You guys need the seat in here more than me," he added as Connie helped Nathan up into Riley's cab.  "I'll be fine, don't worry.  You guys just tag along behind the train and try to keep up."  With that he shut the door and made his way over to Sam's cab ladder and clambered up, greeting Gus again once he got inside.

"Alright, so I think you kids owe us some explanations," Connie said as she turned around to look at Cat and Nathan while Ben backed Riley up and got him locked onto the rails just behind the back of the train.  "What were you guys doing in here?"

Up at the front, the points were thrown, the signal lights shone green, the sun was even starting to come out; the cavalcade of saved souls was finally cleared to go.  The Jeep strained for a moment against the weight of the consist, especially since most of the heavy engines were still pretty stiff, but once he stopped trying and sat idle for a moment, running his sanders until he'd dumped about three pounds of sand onto the rails in front of each wheel, then then were cooking with gas.  He gave a great heave and the train lurched forwards, his drive wheels digging in on the sandy rails and holding fast as he rolled forwards, gradually accelerating up to about ten miles an hour as they made their way out of the yard's branch track, followed closely by Riley and his chilly passengers.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:30 pm

Cat dipped her head, staying quiet for a minute so she could stop shivering so badly before she broke the silence that had fallen over the cab of the truck. "That c-car I was in, it's all I have le-left of my family. The others smelled too badly to chance staying in them. The people wanted to s-send me to an orphanage, b-but I ran away from them. M-my da worked the trains as a conductor, but they are all gone now. The orphanage is horrible. They don't treat us kids like people, but like slaves. If you don't work, you don't eat, even when your sick; and when you do eat, it's oatmeal, all the time, nothing but oatmeal. No fruit, no sweetener, nothing but mushy, soupy oatmeal. I couldn't stay there, I had a friend that got sent there and I sneaked over to talk to her before my family died, she wouldn't lie to me about that. I snuck her some fruit to eat and she shared it with some others when I was able to bring enough. You can't send me to them. Please don't. I would rather live or die on the streets than ever go there to live. My da tried to adopt my friend, but they don't even do adoptions. Once you go in there, you don't get out unless you survive to adulthood, and sometimes not even then"

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Connie, Ben, Nathan and Riley listened quietly as Cat talked about where she came from, with Connie and Nathan reeling in shock at what they'd heard.  "Oh my God, that's so awful..." Connie said.  "It sounds like it's about time a certain someone made an urgent, anonymous police call.  I trust you can provide us with the details on the address of this child slave labor camp disguised as an 'orphanage', right miss... umm, sorry, I never caught your name."  Connie chuckled a bit at her own forgetfulness as their convoy made it out onto the main line tracks and, over the next ten minutes, gradually accelerated to around 50mph.  "My name's Connie," the blonde said.  "That's Benjamin, she's Lilly..."  she said, pointing to each of them respectively before patting Riley's dashboard.  "And this is Riley.  What about you two?"

"N-n-nathan..." the timid young boy said softly.  "Nathan Yaeger..."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:57 am

"Cat, my full name is Katherine Alicia Hill." She Said, looking to the others as they were named then looking at Nathan curiously. He seemed to be her age, and as cold as she had been. Hm. When she had warmed up a bit, she took Ben's coat and set it on the seat near him. "Thank you for letting me borrow your coat." She wasn't going to give up her blanket though, it meant too much to her.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top