The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The year is 1970.  The American railroad industry is modernizing at an incredible pace, and steam locomotives as a species are being killed off in preference of more reliable and efficient diesel-electric locomotives.  Thousands of the old iron giants are being dragged off to scrap yards and smelting plants in long, ominous funeral trains, their eyes wide and pleading for help that will never come to any human they pass by on their way to their inevitable deaths.  To their old crews, these locos are family, but to the industry, they're now a liability, worth nothing more than their weight in scrap steel, at a rate of about forty seven dollars per metric ton.

In northern Washington State, trouble is brewing in the small railroad city of Fort Fairfax.  The local railroad company has been run out of business by the mega-tycoon that is the Union Pacific.  With the rail line shut down and deteriorating from years of disuse, the only way in and out of the valley was via the main 'highway', Route Seven, but on December 8th, 1970, heavy snow and ice caused a rock face in the mountains to collapse, completely burying three miles of Route Seven under millions of tons of granite boulders, snow, and ice near the town of Saint Josef.  Luckily only ten people were killed, but the road was rendered completely impassable, practically cutting off the entire valley of Bucket Falls from the outside world.  (There are other roads out of the valley, but Route Seven was the only one that was remotely safe in winter conditions, and the only route capable of supporting large trucks in any weather)  The only hope for Fort Fairfax, as well as the neighboring towns of Thomas Canyon, Josha's Cradle, Simonville, and Dunk Town, and the hamlet of Elena Junction, was reopening the old railroad.  The two main industries in the canyon, Dyken's Coal Mine and the Lena's Mineral Mining Company, were among the first to get onboard the bandwagon of reopening the line, followed closely by the Dunk Town Sawmill and Fort Fairfax Petrochemicals.  The companies could all theoretically survive through the winter by temporarily shutting down their operations to save capital, then reopening after the spring thaw would allow for Route Seven to be cleared and rebuilt, but in a rare stroke of plain humanity all four of the company CEOs decided that the railroad reopening would not only be good news for all of them, but more importantly, would be good news for all the people living in the valley.  With the support from the local industries and the residents of the valley, a group of citizens from Fort Fairfax formed the Full Bucket Line Preservation Society, which soon enough became the Full Bucket Line Railroad Company.  The initial investments from the industrial companies provided the FBLRR with most of the initial capital they needed to get most of the line repaired to the point of being safely usable, but that still left them with a rather serious problem.

What the hell good is a railroad with no locomotives and no rolling stock?

When the line was first shut down, the Union Pacific bought up everything worth recovering at the bankruptcy auction, which included all the locomotives and nearly all of the rolling stock.  There were a few cars left behind scattered around the line, but all needed serious work if they were even salvageable at all, and even all of them put together weren't going to be enough to run the railroad with.  Luckily most of the old railroad's employees were local residents, so there was no shortage of qualified workers, but the company was quickly running out of cash, and they still didn't even have any locomotives.

And so the search began for the trains that could help to save the valley of Bucket Falls.  For the size of the line they would be trying to run, starting off they would need at least one or two small locomotives for shunting work and pulling maintenance trains (probably small steam tank engines or diesel switchers), two or three mid-sized locos for general freight traffic and short, local passenger trains, and one large, powerful main-line locomotive for bringing the big freight trains in and out of the valley, as well as pulling the fast passenger services.  It's a tall order, but hopefully the folks at the FBLRR can find some of what they need without breaking the bank.

And hopefully the engines themselves will be willing to cooperate after being neglected and cast aside for so long.

~~~~~

Okay, so if you can't tell, this is a world where many of the vehicles that humans build and use are sentient beings, sort of like in "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "Cars" (if Cars had humans).  They have a fair bit of control over themselves, but still need human crew to fully operate most of the time.  They do have faces, but not Thomas-style faces where it covers most of the front of their body.  They're much less intrusive, being just eyes and a mouth somewhere that makes sense on the front of their body, like this:
As sentient beings, they've all got their own personalities and feelings, most have names, they can feel pain and other physical sensations with surprising sensitivity.  Their bodies are a bit flexible, but not quite to the extent of the characters in "Cars".  When a locomotive and its crew are familiar with one another and have formed a tight bond, one can expect to see significantly better physical performance out of both.  The mental health of a sentient vehicle has a significant and direct impact on their physical capabilities, meaning a happy, satisfied train with a good crew that they're close to will tend to perform significantly better than their design specifications say they should be able to, while a depressed or angry locomotive or one with a crew that they're always at odds with will have substantially worse general performance, or may even straight-up refuse to work at all.

Please keep in mind for the vehicles that most of what the FBLRR is going to be using/getting their hands on is going to be old, outdated, and generally unwanted equipment.  Very little, if anything, is going to be new or modern (for the present time period of 1970) so try to keep to trains that were built between the 1940s and the early '60s, or were being retired from service in 1966 at the latest.  Trucks could probably be a bit newer, like '68 or '69 (giggity), but toss in some older ones as well for added historical nostalgia stuff.

Character Forms:

Human:

Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Personality:
Relevant skills:
Recommended/Desired/Current job:
Other:

Trains:

Name: (If they were ever given one, or can remember their name)
Class: (The exact type of train they were.  Please be specific.  If you have an idea about what you want from the character, do some searching online to find something that might match what you want)
Personality:
Picture (Optional):
Other:

Trucks:

Name: (Again, if they ever got one)
Personality:
Picture: (Optional)
Other:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Trainbrain16 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Re: The Full Bucketniers RP (Open)

Post by Trainbrain16 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:24 pm

Mr. Iverson groaned heavily as he set the slapped the phone back into it's cradle and leaned back in his chair, facing the window that gave a view out into the bleak, unceasing whiteness of the snowstorm.  "Sorry you had to listen to that, sweetie," he said softly to his daughter without looking back in her direction.  "This is gonna be really tough, getting this line running after so long and with so little resources left, but I know that if anyone can do it, it's us.  We've got a great team together, the backing of the local industries, and we've got the leftovers of my investment into the old Western Pacific line that used to be here.  The track repairs have been going pretty well, but we still need engines, as I'm sure you know pretty well."  He reached under his desk and pulled out a suitcase, then stood and handed that to Lilly.  "Here, this is most of the last $80,000 that we've got left.  Before the storm gets any worse, go ahead and get Sky down to the railyard and get her inside the workshed.  The last thing we'd want is for her to freeze up and get buried in the snow.  Then take Riley and some of the staff and hop on the rails and head up to the salvage yard in Saint Josef.  Hopefully there'll be an engine or two there that's in good enough shape that we can fix them up, but they're busted enough that we can actually afford to buy them.  Stay safe, and call me when you get there, I've got some... angry phone calls to make to a couple of the investors..."

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
I AM THE SALMON MODERATOR
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:05 am

Lilly took the briefcase then hugged her father close for a moment "You take it easy pops, We will succeed in this" She said optimistically, they had to succeed or all the towns would lose out big time. After she pulled back, she gave him a smile then turned to go, suitcase in hand as she went out to get Sky. "Hey girl, let's get you squared away and out of the cold, alright?" She said as she got in and ran her hands over the dash before heading out. 

Skylar was quiet s she normally was, though she started and moved easily to the rail yard and into the work shed"Be careful out there Lilly" She said as the girl climbed out to head to get the staff then Riley.

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)
Gold Pieces: 15 g 42 s 86 c

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:45 am

Dirk must have been somewhere that he could see out a window into the storm because just as Lilly and Sky were pulling up to the shed, the bay doors leading to the street ground to life and slid upwards to open for her, with Dirk standing at the controls as the pair got safely inside.  "Hey Skylar, Lilly," he said with a smile as he shut the doors to help keep out the bitter cold.  "How's the news from your dad?  Anything good?"

Finally back again, feeling really lonely and bored.  I need help bringing my creative writing spark back from the grave after so long.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check it out if you can.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please go give her a look too, if you want.
BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:51 am

Lilly looked to Dirk and smiled again "Well, we get to go on our engine finding run with Riley, so that's good" Yeah, look at the positive, not the negative. "You are coming, right? We will need staff for whatever engines we find to get them back here somehow."

I am the Malibu Blue Mod [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:50 pm

Dirk smiled at the news that they would be heading out to finally get some locomotives, then laughed a bit as he and Lilly started heading towards the other bays of the workshop.  "I think you've got some pretty high hopes for what we'll manage to find.  I don't think any engine we find in a salvage yard is gonna be safe to fire up and drive back here.  I think we'll have to get them towed back here by another engine, then do a thorough inspection before we can safely use them.  Most importantly we'll have to get someone from the government to come down and do an official boiler inspection, then certify the locomotives as safe to operate, but once that's done I'm sure that we'll be able to get them up and running soon.  Yeah, of course I'll come along, and I guess we aught to have the engineers come along as well; Connie, Ben and Gus would probably want to help with chosing their engines."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Lilly laughed too and looked to Dirk "That's what I meant. I know nothing we can afford will be in working condition when we find it, but once we get them back here and fixed up, they will be." She said cheerfully as they went to get the others that would be coming along 
(who else is already there?)

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:35 pm

(Honestly everyone could be there, since the workshop is attached to the roundhouse building and they share living quarters for the train and maintenance crews)

Dirk smiled and said "Yeah, I sure hope they will."  When they reached the far bay of the workshop Dirk called out "Alright guys, we're gonna head up to Saint Josef for the engines.  Anyone who wants to come, saddle up!"
Almost immediately Connie appeared in the doorway to the barracks with a coat in one hand and an air horn in the other.  "I'm driving!" she called as she ran up beside Riley, who was somehow still asleep and snoring loudly.  She took the air horn out and blew off a long blast to wake the old deuce-and-a-half, only saying "Riles, wake up, we're heading to go get locomotives!"

Riley, upon hearing the horn, snapped awake and blared his own horn in surprise, scrambling back a bit and hitting the back wall of the shop with his tailgate as he blurted "...I-I'll go back into the Ardennes, sir!..."  He took a moment to recompose himself, then scowled when he saw Connie leaning against one of the main support beams laughing her tailbone off.  "Oh yeah, real funny Connie," he groaned.  "You're gonna repaint my bumper, you know."

"Yeah, sure, whatever," she chuckled as she donned her coat and climbed up into Riley's cab.

Ben emerged from the crew quarters a moment later with his heavy jacket and looked around nervously, asking "Is it safe to come out yet, or is she gonna try to pull something else?"

"Nah, I'm done for now.  Come on, guys, hustle, if we wanna do this, we gotta go now before there's too much snow to get out of the marshaling yard."  Meanwhile she was sitting in Riley's cab pumping her fists excitedly and mumbling "Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  Gonna go get some f#ckin trains, f#ck yeah!"

Dirk rolled his eyes and grabbed his own heavy jacket off one of the pegs, then made his way over to Riley's passenger side and opened the two doors, then climbed up onto the high running board and turned around, holding his hand out to help hoist Lilly up into the cab.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:46 pm

Lilly shook her head at Connie's antics, though they were pretty used to them by now. She looked aroun then went over to get in the truck, taking Dirk's hand as she did. 
She flushed lightly and took her seat, buckling up and settling the case under her legs to distract herself for a minute so she could compose herself again. 

Roger came out of his room, running over as he slipped on his coat then climbed in the truck "Y'all ain't leaving without me" He said. He may have spent the last decade here, but he had never lost his Texas accent or manners. Even if he might not be needed, he wanted to be there with them when they found the trains. 

(Gus is going to be with either Sam or Helen)

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:22 pm

(You mean like he'll be with the locomotive already and he'll join up when they buy her?  Also, lol, usually it's Dirk who's the ridiculously shy, awkward and nervous one around the opposite sex, but Lilly seems to have snatched that title from him right from the get-go, I love it!)

Dirk smiled as he clambered into the back of the truck, taking the middle seat while Ben took the one on the far side, leaving Roger with shotgun as Julia made her way over to open the bay door in front of them.  Connie helped get Riley started up and his big diesel engine turned over with a low roar as he sidestepped a bit to get onto the tracks, then lowered his rail wheels and got them locked in onto the rails.  "God, this plow is freaking heavy, guys, I think my jaw is going numb," he said as he complained again about the huge snowplow that they'd improvised out of some scrap steel that weighed well over a ton.

"Oh really?  You want some cheese with that whine?" Connie snickered.

"Jeez, you're impossible," Riley groaned.  "God help the poor engine who's unfortunate enough to get stuck with you all the time."

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:37 pm

(yep, he'll be with whichever of those trains we want to play him with)

Skylar watched them all get loaded up and honked her horn at them "Good luck" She may not like to talk much, but she did want them to know she wanted them to succeed. 

Roger grinned as they got settled on the tracks. This was going to be an interesting adventure at any rate. "Think of it this way Rigel, you know it's there and it can push the snow out of your path without crumpling like a lighter metal would."

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:37 pm

"Yeah yeah, I know," Riley grumbled, squinting when Julia opened the door and the bitter cold winter wind whipped into the workshed.  He honked back at Skylar, then with a big belch of oily smoke he surged forwards, parting the snow drift that had already built up to a height of a foot and a half over the last hour.  He shuddered under the hit and his tires squealed in protest against the rails, but he quickly managed to regain traction and pressed onwards, forging ahead outside as a shivering Julie quickly shut the door again, the wind whipping against her petite frame until the rubber gasket sealed against the concrete floor.  "Alright Corey, they're gone," she said with a smile as she headed back to the crew quarters.  "We've got the place to ourselves!"

"Sweet!  I'll grab the movies nobody else likes!"

(You wanna skip to their arrival, or chat along the way?)

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:01 pm

(Arrival, lol)
Lilly chatted lightly with the others as they made their way to the first possibility of finding an engine. She looked around as they approached the town, wondering if they would have enough to get a few engines here. "What do you guys think?"

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:52 pm

Connie smiled as Riley came to a stop outside the salvage yard and pulled the rail wheels up before Connie brought them off the tracks and to the normal entrance.  "Well one thing I can see that I'm happy about is that the snow storm wasn't nearly as bad here as it was back home," Connie said, and she was right.  The snow here was a bit less than a foot deep with nothing more than a sprinkle still falling, plus most of the roads and rail lines had already been plowed and salted as well.

"You think you're glad about that?" Riley laughed.  "How do you think I feel?  God, my frame aches... SO bad..."

Connie blew a raspberry at the old war veteran truck as she pulled inside the yard and parked in front of the main building.  "Alright, so I'm sure Lilly's coming inside to meet with the owner before we start going to look at engines, who else is coming in?"

"I'll go in with her," Dirk said.  "Probably don't need much more than that for just talking with the yard manager, so I think that'll be good."

~~~
Sam shuddered a bit and sighed as she heard a rather large truck pulling into the yard.  She was one of the oldest locomotives still there at the yard, though she really didn't deserve to be there.  Well, honestly none of the engines really deserved to be here just awaiting their fate while being neglected to the elements, but she in particular didn't deserve what she'd been stuck with.  She was arguably in the best shape of any of the steam locomotives here, despite the fact that she'd also been used more than almost any of them.  She'd logged over two million miles during her 4 year career with the Southern Pacific, but when she was inspected upon being retired, she was found to have incurred hardly any damage from the vast amount of work she'd done.  Normally an engine clocking that much running time would have simply worn themselves out completely, burned out their bearings, ground their wheels down, and stress-fractured their boiler tubes or some other pressure fittings, but the Southern Pacific had done such a fantastic job designing her and her sister locomotives that she was still in practically prime condition.  "How much longer am I gonna have to wait before they finally just put me down already?..." she sighed softly, tears coming to her eyes which quickly froze in the bitter cold of the air and her icy boiler.  "I've been here for almost twenty years, watching engines come and go, even doing both in the time I've sat here, but why am I still here?... Could someone just please do something to me already?... cut me up, push me back off a cliff, stick some dynamite in my boiler, I don't even care anymore... anything to just end this monotony..."  (Gus could be listening or not, you choose, though I would like him to become her driver)

(Btw, true story, the GS-6s were so rugged and so well-built that when they were all retired not one of them had logged less than a million hauling miles, but the inspectors couldn't find any reason to believe they'd driven more than 50,000)

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Roger looked around the area then back to the building again "I'll wait till y'all come out to see what's here." He didn't care to talk to management of a scrapyard much. He found then to be too ornery more likely than not.

Lilly moved to get out of Riley, looking around and waiting to see who would come with her to talk to the owner.

~~~
Gus was listening to Sam as he wiped the snow and ice off of her. "Don't be so hard on yourself, the right person will come along and pick you. If I could take you home with me, I would Sam, you know that." He said then looked towards the office. "Hang tight, let me go see what's happening here." He added and patted the side of her boiler.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:35 pm

"Alright then, just me and you then Lilly," Dirk chuckled as he climbed down with her, then shut the truck door and headed inside the main office where a short black woman greeted them.

"Hello, welcome to Saint Josef Scrap and Salvage, how can I help you today?"

~~~
Sam sighed, but couldn't help but enjoy the feeling of Gus' loving touch as he brushed her boiler off.  "Yeah, I know you would..." she said, her gaze falling to the ominously empty track next to her.  "I'm sorry about Jessie, I really liked her too, but I know you two were really close..." she said, referring to when Gus' old locomotive, one of the rare Pennsylvania Duplex engines, had been hauled away last month and taken to a smelting plant.  They ended up having to arrest him to get him out of her cab, and even then he wouldn't stop struggling until someone slammed his head against Jessie's cab ladder and knocked him out so they could drag her away in peace.  He'd been released the next morning, but by that time Jessie was already dead and melted down in Lake Hurst.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:37 am

Lilly looked to the man and held out her hand "I am Lilly Iverson, we came her to see if you have any engines for sale." She said cheerfully. 

Gus sighed and dipped his head at the mention of Jessie. He cursed those who had taken her then went to the main building to see who was here and what they were here for. He held his arms crossed, glaring at the manager and incidentally the two strangers.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:07 pm

The girl at the counter laughed a bit when Lilly asked if they had engines for sale.  "I'll answer that with a question of my own; is it cold as balls outside?  Yes, of course we've got locomotives for sale, we always do.  We've got engines out the wazoo, it all depends on what you're looking for exactly."  She glanced towards Gus when she sensed Dirk's gaze shifting away from her, then turned back and said "Oh don't mind him.  He's just pissed cause he lost his loco last month.  Gus, what'd I tell you about hanging around and scaring the customers?  Go on, shoo."  She got up and shooed him out of the room, though she neglected to shut the door, then came back and asked "So do you guys know what it is you're looking for?"

"Well, we were hoping to find that out here," Dirk said with a shrug.  "We're from the Full Bucket Line in Fort Fairfax, and we're hoping to get enough of the right kind of engines to start the line up and at least get ourselves going.  We'll probably need two or three mid-sized engines for the grunt work, something little for shunting and assembling trains, and then something a little larger and a bit faster to handle big freight consists and the passenger services.  You think there's someone who could help show us around the boneyard so we can take a look for ourselves a bit?"

"Yes, of course, I'll be right back with the yard manager," she said, smiling as she stood and headed back into the offices.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Gus frowned at her and went just outside the door until the girl left then came back in and looked at the pair. "You want steamers to run, not to kill them?" At Lilly's wary nod he continued "Should've been here a month ago, my Jennie would've loved to run the tracks again." He paused then shook his head "Best engine out there is Sam, There's a couple other good ones, but she still has what it takes and has been here the longest. Surprised they haven't scrapped her yet too" He said, turning a glare towards the offices again. "You want a real tour, then come on, I'll show you the best of this lot instead of the scraps they will try to sell you so they can scrap the best." With that, he turned to leave the office, though he would wait to see if they came with him or waited for the yard manager.

Lilly looked to Dirk once Gus had stepped outside and raised an eyebrow "You want to go with him and I'll wait on the yard manager, or what?" Now she wished they had the others in here so they could more safely split up.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Dirk arched an eyebrow at what he heard the stranger say, then looked over at Lilly and said "Yeah, might as well, the money's safe with Riley and everyone else anyways.  Yeah, I'll go with this guy, and you can see what the manager has to say.  It'll be good to hear opinions from outside the ranks of the staff here anyways."  With that he followed after Gus and stepped outside with him, looking around at all the desperate, hopeful, sometimes even begging looks on the faces of most of the locomotives.  Unfortunately he could also tell that there were a few amongst the lot that were already dead, and simply had been left where they stood rather than being hauled away, and that sickened him.  They were living beings, after all, if they've been doomed to die by people who don't understand or care about that, at least let them go out with some dignity.  "So you're Gus, right?" he asked as they trudged through the snow.  "Mine's Dirk, that was Lilly back in the office."

A moment later a tall blonde man stepped out and smiled when he saw Lilly standing there.  "Ahh, Miss Iverson, I'm glad you're here.  Your father called ahead, told me to expect your arrival.  I'm Chris, and I understand you're looking to purchase a fair variety of locomotives to run your new line, correct?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:37 pm

"Yeah, I'm Gus, Gustav Vasa." Gus said, offering his hand to shake then looking to the engines again "There's a fair variety here that'll fit the needs you said." He said, going along the line towards Sam and talking about the engines and their personalities as they passed. Each one got a touch or pat until he reached Sam after a few others "This here's Sam. Pacific Class GS-7. You want to get people from one stop to another fast and safe, she's your engine." 

~
Lilly smiled and nodded, holding a hand out in greeting "Yes, our company need two or three mid-sized engines for the grunt work, something little for shunting and assembling trains, and then something a little larger and a bit faster to handle big freight consists and the passenger services." She said, mimicking what Dirk had said before. "Do you have enough to fit what we need?" She asked curiously.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:50 am

"Wait, a GS-7?" Dirk said in a bit of surprise as he looked Sam over a bit, her eyes suddenly wide and hopeful as the newcomer inspected her, blushing a bit when he got down to look at her lower frame and her undercarriage.  "This is surreal, I thought they only ever made one prototype of the GS-7, and that she'd already been scrapped.  Is... is she the prototype?..."

"Yeah, that's me," Sam said softly.  "The only Southern Pacific Class GS-7 ever built, number forty-four seventy-six."

"Where did you work when you were still in active service?"

"California mostly," she said.  "I worked on the Espee lines up and down the coast pulling fast freight mostly, though they frequently had me head up to where the Union Pacific line ended in Ogden, Utah to take over the Pacific Fruit Express and bring it in to Sacramento or San Francisco.  I've never pulled a passenger train before, though my builders had said I would be perfect for it, even more so than those sexy British A4 class streamliners.  God, Sir Nigel Greasley's a dream, ain't he?..."

"Yeah, those Brits definitely know how to make some wonderful engines, don't they?" Dirk chuckled as he turned to Gus again after crawling back out from underneath of Sam.  "Well she looks pretty good under the hood, especially for how old she is," he said, drawing another blush from Sam at the praise.  "You know what, if we can afford her, I think she'd be perfect.  She'll need some work for sure, after being left out here in the elements for so long, but once we get her cleaned up, oiled, and put in a bit of elbow grease, I think she'll be the godsend we've been praying for.  You know of any good mid-size engines that you'd recommend?"

Sam was in a bit of shock at what she'd heard Dirk say, and was already praying for Chris to give these folks a reasonable price for her so that she could get to leave this place and get working.  Oh how she longed to be useful again.

~~~
"Oh I'm certain that we do," Chris said with a smile as he grabbed his coat and headed outside with Lilly, heading more towards the North side of the yard whereas Gus and Dirk had gone East.  "I suppose let's start with the smaller engines, we've got a fair few around here.  Tank engines, small tender engines, even got a few old British designs.  See anything that catches your eye?"

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:20 pm

Gus listened and smiled, seeing how Dirk acted and the questions he asked. He liked this guy, he knew his trains and treated them with respect. "Yeah, you wanted something like 4 or 5 engines, right? Come on" He said, patting Sam's boiler again then moving on to show him the other trains that were worth looking at, naming off and talking about several more before they got to Helen

Helen looked to the pair as they came up to her. Gus was a good guy, but she didn't think he could do anything to help get her sold. 

(you want all the trains to be in this yard, or have them have to search for some?)

~~~
Anna looked around as they walked, looking at the engines and touching them in passing "You do have quite a few good ones here. Who's this one?" She asked, stopping at Malcom and looking over the dockside switcher curiously.

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trainbrain16 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:48 pm

(Hmm... Maybe they could find Frankie abandoned somewhere in like an old flour mill or something, so they'll fix up Malcom (since he'll be the easiest one to get going right off the bat) and take him out to claim and salvage Frankie, bring him back to Fort Fairfax, and get to work on him.)

Dirk gave each of the trains Gus was showing him a good looking over, though as he was walking past Helen he stopped, paused for a moment, then slowly backtracked until he was standing in front of her again.  "Well I'll be d#mned," he said with a laugh.  "Look at you, a Canadian Pacific 4-6-4 Hudson.  Nobody's seen any engine of your class since 1958, I thought you guys were supposed to be extinct."  He started to walk back towards her cab, likely to check on the state of her tender and the booster engine on her trailing bogey.  "So how did you end up here, Helen?  What's your story?"

~~~
Malcom gave Lilly a seemingly uninterested glance, then sighed and looked away from her again.

"Oh, four-eighty-seven?" Chris asked.  "The guys that brought him in called him Malcom, and he actually hasn't been here too long.  They said he was a bit of a problem child, had a serious downer personality, but lucky him he's the only engine we have here that's small enough to fit under this overhang, so he's been kept mostly out of the weather.  I think his boiler inspection should still be valid as well, so that's a bonus.  He's a stick-in-the-mud, but he'll work just the same.  If you want him, I could probably go for about... twenty-five hundred, that work for you on him?"  This honestly was a fairly good deal, since at scrap value Malcom was only worth about two grand, but that was part of the strategy for a boneyard manager who knew his customers were looking to buy multiple items.  They'd give them deals that were very clearly a good bargain with the little stuff, then once they got them comfortable and spending they'd hook them on some of the bigger ticket items and get themselves a much wider profit margin.

BEHOLD MY MASCULINITY

Trainbrain16
♤ Global Guru ♤
♤ Global Guru ♤

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:50 pm

Helen watched him coming and looking at her then asking about her past. She sighed and looked back to Gus before mumbling something. 

"Helen, I know you are quiet, but you gotta speak up if you want out of here" Gus said, coming over to pat her and wipe some snow off.

"I don't like to talk about it" Helen said at a more normal tone, though it was still quiet. 

~~~
Anna looked to him then back to Malcolm before making a note of his name, number and price. "I think that's a good deal, and he will certainly have plenty to keep him busy. What is next, the mid size or the larger engines?" 
(alright Smile )

Starrnico
♢ Privileged Overlord ♢
♢ Privileged  Overlord ♢

D&D Character Sheet
HP:
9/9  (9/9)
EXP:
0/1000  (0/1000)

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top